DA2 consolized - will no longer support overhead tactical view

This topic is locked from further discussion.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

**UPDATE**

Kotaku preview DA2

PC Differences

There are some changes PC fans should know, about how their version will differ. First, and this is sort of a non-difference, but the PC game won't be made separately this time. All versions of the game are being made by BioWare's internal teams.

The bigger change, however, is that the game will no longer support an overhead tactical view on any platform. This was an art and combat-design decision, the BioWare rep told me today. Support for that Baldur's Gate-sty.le view forced the artists to design rooms and scenes that didn't have important things on their ceilings and skies — which top-down players wouldn't see. It also forced the designers into an awkward spot where they had to accommodate top-down turn-taking players and behind-the-back action-first players. By catering to the more reckless of those playing sty.les, the designers were forced to make the game's difficulty fairly low. Making all players play from some sort of from-the-rear camera view alleviates that. But! PC gamers, your version will include a special option to zoom the camera out, just not up. Console gamers won't get that.

The PC version will also handle combat commands a little differently, letting a player click to issue a continued attack command, instead of forcing them to button-mash. Leave that to the console gamers.

"The bigger change, however, is that the game will no longer support an overhead tactical view on any platform. This was an art and combat-design decision, the BioWare rep told me today."

"PC gamers, your version will include a special option to zoom the camera out, just not up. Console gamers won't get that."

"There are some changes PC fans should know, about how their version will differ. First, and this is sort of a non-difference, but the PC game won't be made separately this time"

--------------------------------------------------------

Video Games Daily interviewed BioWare's Robyn Theberge on BioWare's answer to Fable 3, Dragon Age II.

Hi Robyn. This might not be the best way to start the interview, but what do you think of Fable 3?

You know what, I haven't played it!

I just ask because BioWare seems to be heading in a very Lionhead-ish direction with its RPGs – the key features haven't so much been changed as "digested", arranged in a more intuitive way. How far do you think you can follow that approach before the underlying complexity of your game suffers?

We've kept a lot of those core values, especially on PC. On consoles, we've definitely moved into more of an action-based RPG just so, you know, we're going to quarry that line, between the core group and the [casual] people. We want to sell videogames. We want to appeal to as many people as possible. And that was one thing with our feedback – we have forums, we have a ton of great fans and we definitely listen to them, and respond to their desires and what they'd like to see, what direction they'd like to go in. And that's where a lot of the key changes that we've made to Dragon Age 2 have come from.

"the casual people. We want to sell videogames. We want to appeal to as many people as possible"

------------------------

Dragon Age II Interview

"I just button-mash my way through, I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don't always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it"
Dragon Age 2 associate producer Heather Rabatich

Games On Net interviewed Dragon Age 2 associate producer Heather Rabatich about all the improvements we can expect to see in Dragon Age 2.

games.on.net: Let's talk about the upgraded art sty,le Why the change in art direction this time around?

Heather Rabatich: Well, we wanted Dragon Age 2 to stand out from the generic fantasy genre. Origins was a very specific type of fantasy game and Dragon Age 2 isn't that type of fantasy game, it still has a lot of the carry over, but we don't want it to get lost in that mix. This is a very specific type of game and we wanted to give it that cleaner updated look. So we still have these beautiful cities and vast landscapes and we haven't departed completely from it, but if you look at a screen shot you'll know its Dragon Age 2. It's actually an ever growing market, half the games out there right now seem to be fantasy and I think our sty,le is now setting us apart from that, it matches the combat, it matches the new type of story we're doing.

games.on.net: And how do you make it more accessible?

Heather Rabatich: Well, you press a button and something cool happens! There's like a cause and effect, its happening before your eyes, you're not having to pause and set up a scene if you don't want to, and you're not getting annihilated if you don't play that way. So the pause, and the tactics, and and strategy is there, and you might not even realise you're being strategic initially, but after a while you start seeing how cool it is when you combine abilities and party members specialties, and you've got everybody fighting together and its interesting to be able to jump between the characters, and I just think its still a strategic game, but we have sort of made it a little lighter in the sense that you can just pick it up and play it and know what to do. It's a very satisfying combat system for both types of player.

games.on.net: From your personal opinion, what is the single biggest improvement between the two?

Heather Rabatich: There's so much I liked about the first game, but personally, for me combat-wise, that is a big thing for me because I'm tactical to a certain degree but then sometimes I just button-mash my way through, I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don't always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it. And it really depends on where I'm at in the gameplay, so I like this type of combat, I feel like its faster and the pace is faster so I would say that for me that's one of the things that, as someone who's playing the game everyday, watching the combat improve and seeing how the game is changing in that way has, for me, been a very satisfying experience.

games.on.net: Now, as I mentioned to you, I dropped out of the first one because the combat was difficult, I got stuck last time, have you maintained that level of difficulty for the second one?

Heather Rabatich: The difficulty is there. Again we have easy to hardcore, you can play any which way between from the difficulty levels. And what we wanted to do with improving the combat was make it so that if combat isn't your thing or it takes a little while for you to get familiar with it, we've made it more accessible for that kind of audience.

games.on.net: GON has some hardcore PC users, are there any benefits or changes in the PC version, over and above the console version?

Heather Rabatich: I would say the PC version hasn't changed that much, we have slightly altered how we're doing the tactical camera, but the fact that we're building this across all three platforms, we've created this very natural feeling game for all three systems so, PC people are not necessarily at an advantage by playing it on the PC, the graphics will look great across all, and its going to feel natural. I know people who played it on XBox and played it on PC just to see the differences, whereas in this one the differences will mostly be in your HUD, you'll get more quickbar options, it's not that different but its still a good gaming experience on the PC. We have a ton of PC gamers at Bioware, so we make sure its tested across all systems.

"if combat isn't your thing or it takes a little while for you to get familiar with it, we've made it more accessible for that kind of audience"

Oh, the memories....:(

Speaking to MTV Multiplayer, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk revealed that Dragon Age: Origins may be ported to consoles.

Any time we undertake something we have a goal of creating franchises… PC for now is what we're focusing on, but there is a console future for the franchise. We haven't really talked about what that's going to be, but one thing we're focused on, as folks probably have seen in regards to "Mass Effect" on the PC, is whenever we do a platform choice, we're very definitive and very specific. We don't splash it across all the platforms. Like in the case with "Mass" PC we worked really hard to make it even better than the console version. The PC gives us more tools to do that with. That s the approach we're taking with "Dragon Age" and other games at BioWare.

As the spiritual successor to BioWare's Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: Origins is fantasy Role Playing Game that features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

--------------------------------------

My hype for this game is really fading away:?:(

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
I thought you mean dead or alive 2 :P
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 devious742

I thought you mean dead or alive 2 :Pohthemanatee
lol:oops: I just noticed :o:P

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

thank god for that. no more just clicking on stuff.

wizardwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wizardwd
Member since 2006 • 606 Posts
My hype for this game is really fading away:?:(devious742
I think any hype I had built up for this game just went out the window. Have other games I want to buy more that are coming out. Golden Sun DS here I come!
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 devious742

dog_dirt

as opposed to pressing a button?:roll: but who cares.. its seems the devs are making this game with you in mind:lol:

"Well, you press a button and something cool happens!"

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"]

devious742

as opposed to pressing a button?:roll: but who cares.. its seems the devs are making this game with you in mind:lol:

lucky for me then.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

:D Oh dear...

"and you might not even realise you're being strategic initially, but after a while you start seeing how cool it is when you combine abilities and party members specialties"

So we can expect something like ME2 combos...We all know how strategic that was.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Oh well, the first one was average anyways. This one is just average but streamlined for console players so no big difference.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Mainstream gaming is getting dumber and dumber. The only thing we can do now is to support indie developers.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'm not going to "hate" on any of the changes until I play the game for myself. Something I'm looking forward to doing.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

games.on.net: Let's talk about the upgraded art sty,le Why the change in art direction this time around?

Heather Rabatich: Well, we wanted Dragon Age 2 to stand out from the generic fantasy genre. Origins was a very specific type of fantasy game and Dragon Age 2 isn't that type of fantasy game, it still has a lot of the carry over, but we don't want it to get lost in that mix. This is a very specific type of game and we wanted to give it that cleaner updated look. So we still have these beautiful cities and vast landscapes and we haven't departed completely from it, but if you look at a screen shot you'll know its Dragon Age 2. It's actually an ever growing market, half the games out there right now seem to be fantasy and I think our sty,le is now setting us apart from that, it matches the combat, it matches the new type of story we're doing.

devious742

Translation 1: We can't compete with The Witcher 2 graphically, so we've turned the ground pink, so that it looks like we're going for a completely different graphical sty|e.

Translation 2: We realise now that Dragon Age 1 was just a generic fantasy game, so we're going to be extra-creative this time. We've turned the ground pink!

Translation 3: We couldn't really make this game look better than Dragon Age 1, so we've turned the ground pink. We hope you won't notice.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Will "streamlining" it make it sell better? I think the people who are interested in trolls, elves and all that crap will expect a tradtional RPG.

It sold well anywaym, did it not?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Heather Rabatich: Well, you press a button and something cool happens!

devious742

"cool" as in Infinity Ward's "cool stuff like mouse support and text chat", I suppose.

I expected as much to be honest.

I'm going to wait for the game to release before really judging, however now I'm much more skeptical about DA2.

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

Alright, so I didn't get Origins for the PS3 because I finished it back when I had the 360. Knwing this, I think I'll get it again because DA2 smells like Mass Effect 2.

Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age Origins FTW!

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazingGaming
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts
God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****blue_hazy_basic
How can you consolize a console series?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****AmazingGaming

Never played DA:O, have you?

Immortalsaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Immortalsaiyan
Member since 2006 • 874 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks all these changes sound for the better? I started played Dragon Age on Ps3a few days ago and the problems with it come from the graphics and combat.

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazingGaming

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****N30F3N1X

Yeah I have... on a console...
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 devious742

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****AmazingGaming

Dragon Age origins was being labeled as a Spiritual Successor to Baldur's Gate by bioware themselves as a marketing stunt... not only that but it was made with PC in mind..

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6958 Posts

Title is misleading. You can button-mash your way through. But you don't have to. If you have combat with more optionality, then crank the difficulty and play it the way you want.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"] How can you consolize a console series?AmazingGaming

Yeah I have... on a console...

How does that make it a console series?

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Simpler = Better I think. If people wana button mash then why not ?
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]Simpler = Better I think. If people wana button mash then why not ?

Simpler = Better on some genres. Not in an RPG though. :(
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 devious742

Title is misleading. You can button-mash your way through. But you don't have to. If you have combat with more optionality, then crank the difficulty and play it the way you want.

SUD123456

Its still sad that the greatest improvement for the DA2 producer.. is how the combat system is taking a more button smashing route... it kinda demostrates where their goals lie:?

games.on.net: From your personal opinion, what is the single biggest improvement between the two?

Heather Rabatich: There's so much I liked about the first game, but personally, for me combat-wise, that is a big thing for me because I'm tactical to a certain degree but then sometimes I just button-mash my way through, I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don't always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it. And it really depends on where I'm at in the gameplay, so I like this type of combat, I feel like its faster and the pace is faster so I would say that for me that's one of the things that, as someone who's playing the game everyday, watching the combat improve and seeing how the game is changing in that way has, for me, been a very satisfying experience.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sp4rtan_3

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****devious742

Dragon Age origins was being labeled as a Spiritual Successor to Baldur's Gate by bioware themselves as a marketing stunt... not only that but it was made with PC in mind..

Yet was also released on consoles, so I dont get this whole "it was consolized" business when the 1st was already on consoles :|

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X

yet was also released on consoles, so I dont get this whole "it was consolized" business when the 1st was already on consoles :roll:Sp4rtan_3

What's with people not knowing what the verb "consolize" means?

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]God dammit ..... next time someone asks me about when did a consolizing ever dumb a game down .... ****devious742

I played this on both consoles, and I kept thinking to myself that this would be 100% better on the PC. Then I cursed my laptop and its stupid integrated crappy graphics card. It wasn't horrible, but selecting attacks was just too tedious for a controller. It was still one of my favorite games, though. It would be nice if they gave you the option of streamlined or classic controls for the next game for the console version, though.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

I played this on both consoles, and I kept thinking to myself that this would be 100% better on the PC. Then I cursed my laptop and its stupid integrated crappy graphics card. It wasn't horrible, but selecting attacks was just too tedious for a controller. It was still one of my favorite games, though. It would be nice if they gave you the option of streamlined or classic controls for the next game for the console version, though.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sp4rtan_3

[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"] yet was also released on consoles, so I dont get this whole "it was consolized" business when the 1st was already on consoles :roll:N30F3N1X

What's with people not knowing what the verb "consolize" means?

Whats your definition of a "consolized" game then ?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N30F3N1X

Whats your definition of a "consolized" game then ?Sp4rtan_3

A game that's been designed with console controls and limitations in mind.

How is that not intuitive enough :|

AmazingGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AmazingGaming

[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]Whats your definition of a "consolized" game then ?N30F3N1X

A game that's been designed with console controls and limitations in mind.

How is that not intuitive enough :|

The first one worked fine on consoles, not as good as PC obviously, but these changes clearly weren't required.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 devious742

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"] How can you consolize a console series?Sp4rtan_3

yet was also released on consoles, so I dont get this whole "it was consolized" business when the 1st was already on consoles :roll:

Dragon age Origins was going to be released on PC first but then later they decided to port it to consoles..as a matter of fact..the console versions got lower reviews because of the controls and graphics werent on par with the PC version.. thats because the PC version was the lead platform..

DAO PC 9.5

DAO PS3 9.0

DAO 360 8.5

Speaking to MTV Multiplayer, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk revealed that Dragon Age: Origins may be ported to consoles.

Any time we undertake something we have a goal of creating franchises… PC for now is what we're focusing on, but there is a console future for the franchise. We haven't really talked about what that's going to be, but one thing we're focused on, as folks probably have seen in regards to "Mass Effect" on the PC, is whenever we do a platform choice, we're very definitive and very specific. We don't splash it across all the platforms. Like in the case with "Mass" PC we worked really hard to make it even better than the console version. The PC gives us more tools to do that with. That s the approach we're taking with "Dragon Age" and other games at BioWare.

As the spiritual successor to BioWare's Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: Origins is fantasy Role Playing Game that features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

Link

Flame-Eternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flame-Eternal
Member since 2009 • 234 Posts
how unfortunate.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Thank god. I remember the latter half of the first game was basically me spamming "Storm of the Century" when facing small mobs.

The game simply moved at a snails pace because the Darkspawn mobs weren't strong enough to require my full attention, and only felt like living speedhumps between me and the next part of the story.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Have to appease the masses apparently.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Pathetic the sales for the game were good to and now they wanna change one of my favorite games this gen because some lazy person wanted it a different way(not the players but the developers)

I might have to upgrade my pc so I can at least play it the way of DA 1

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Bioware is going the way of the future. Luckilythere will be plenty of better games in 2011.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

I think you mean "casualized"

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 devious742

I think you mean "casualized"

15strong

Potato Patata:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Nice work Bioware. Ruin your best RPG franchise since Baldur's Gate.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"]

[QUOTE="devious742"]

How can you consolize a console series?AmazingGaming

Yet was also released on consoles, so I dont get this whole "it was consolized" business when the 1st was already on consoles :|

Its the Oblivion factor. Morrowind on the 360 was great, but alot of console players couldn't work out what to do when they weren't spoonfed, hell according to the boards alot struggled to find Balmora or to understand that combat was run by dice rolls behind the scenes "But why aren't I hitting him?" was the cry. So what went from a great PC port of Morrowind became Oblivion, a dumbed down, hold your hand game to appease the console audience, but which also affected the PC game. Now leap forward to DAO. Again a great game (I only played this one on PC) but sections of the console audience struggled to get to grips with actually having to use some strategy and tactics. So we get a Bioware RPG where you you can button mash through it?!?!?! You don't see how the console audience has changed the nature of the game?
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="devious742"]

[QUOTE="AmazingGaming"] How can you consolize a console series?Sp4rtan_3

Devil may cry is on the pc.Does that make it a PC-centric game?Heck no.It has a console feeling.It feels like a console game. Similarly,DA1 feels like a PC game.

DA2,on the other hand,feels like a console hack n slash game(kinda like DMC and GoW)

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Yet another game butchered to appeal to casuals/lazy people.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Ill be playing the PC version and Dr Ray said they kept it the same.... sooooo

Not worried.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Well the PC got a better score because of its combat, so they change it?

Ignicaeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Ignicaeli
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

Go to this link kid: Dragon Age Origins

At your left, you'll see a cool boxart, below it there will be the name of the game... under still the developer and publisher. The next line is the genre of the game, which says"Computer Role Playing". Next time do your homework (As a side note, it plays way better on the PC than in the consoles).

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i think what you guys see in games is no different than what i have seen in every type of media since the beginning of a global economy.

why does the latest action flick have 3 explosions for every line of dialogue? because when you translate it for a wordwide audience the less story and more visual setpieces the easier it is to translate into something the lowest common denominator can understand.

when you write a sitcom do you use a joke some people may not understand or do you make a poop joke that is lowbrow but everyone at least gets.

to be successful you have to boil things down so that the most incapable among us has a chance to participate.

bad news but there you have the reality of the stuation. it will never change and only get worse as the stupidization of the planet continues.