Crysis being ported to consoles? That could be a yes according to Crytek..

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jasonheyman
Member since 2006 • 1683 Posts

"While Yerli downplayed the potential for porting Crysis to consoles, that does not exclude the possibility of the company teaming up with another developer for console releases."

"Porting Crysis to consoles, which may take quite a bit of work, would be a smart thing to do. Besides increased exposure, pirating console games is a bit more difficult. This is because a console normally has to be modded to be able to play a pirated copy of a game, which voids the console's warranty. With the possibility of something going wrong after modifying a console, it might be less expensive to legally buy the game. It would be a wiser choice to not mod the console and just buy the game."

LINK

I'm sure it will be said that this is an old article lol but it does say that Yerli only downplayed the thought of it and it is said it would be a good idea for them to port Crysis to consoles so that does leave a pretty big possibility that it could happen!

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
It's been rumoured for a long time now that it'll come to consoles sometime early next year. I assume it'll be hugely downgraded though, I've never actually seen Crysis in motion.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

"While Yerli downplayed the potential for porting Crysis to consoles, that does not exclude the possibility of the company teaming up with another developer for console releases."

"Porting Crysis to consoles, which may take quite a bit of work, would be a smart thing to do. Besides increased exposure, pirating console games is a bit more difficult. This is because a console normally has to be modded to be able to play a pirated copy of a game, which voids the console's warranty. With the possibility of something going wrong after modifying a console, it might be less expensive to legally buy the game. It would be a wiser choice to not mod the console and just buy the game."

LINK

I'm sure it will be said that this is an old article lol but it does say that Yerli only downplayed the thought of it and it is said it would be a good idea for them to port Crysis to consoles so that does leave a pretty big possibility that it could happen!

jasonheyman

very very old article crysis on console

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVsT4D2_VTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOyLcvyEEo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FF9oFLXPXI&feature=related

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Crysis aint coming.

CryEngine 2 powered games are.

jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasonheyman
Oh?! Well I heard it said "Crysis" would never see it's day on consoles. Thought this article would help clarify?...
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

A dumbed down Crysis:*insert sub title* maybe

the Crysis we know from the PC? wishfull thinking

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lesner87
Member since 2004 • 2441 Posts
The last news i heard was something about Crytek going to reveal Cryengine 2 on consoles in FEb 2009.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Crysis Instincts confirmed!

"A console port of the original PC version, Instincts is less open-ended and more linear, due to the console's reduced processing power which prevents the full rendering of the PC version's vast islands and landscape."

jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasonheyman

"A console port of the original PC version, Instincts is less open-ended and more linear, due to the console's reduced processing power which prevents the full rendering of the PC version's vast islands and landscape."

HenriH-42

I'm not arguing the graphics will be as good but it is possible the title is coming to consoles... The next Gen consoles in 2010 may be able to pull off some high though;)

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lesner87

HenriH-42

LOL at Crytek when Ubisoft managed to port a far better engine than Cryengine 2 on consoles.But thats again all dependent on the optimization and how much time is spent on the engine.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
I'm sure it will be ported. They want the money, they know they'll get it.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackdreamhunk
yea i am sure it can be done on a old cpu and gpu! LOL
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
It can easily be done on Xbox360 or PS3, obviously with downgrading. If you've ever played Crysis Warhead in DX10 you would know how crazy the game looks. It's way ahead of anything out at the moment. Every single object in the game that moves has motion blur, that's just an example of the detail you can scale to.
crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

That article is someones opinion.

Now read this:

"

Crysis has a reputation of bringing a lot of PC hardware to its knees but most reviews of Warhead have noted better performance on the same hardware while managing to look better. If the code has been optimized in such a way, why shouldn't Crysis be portable to Xbox 360 and Playstation3?

Crysis was designed and developed for the PC and its memory requirements from the start. As a company we are of course thinking about other platforms as well, we already showed a version of the Cryengine2 on consoles at the GDC in San Francisco this year. Its not only a matter of computation power, but also memory requirements. Consoles are not as providing when it comes to memory compared to PCs, even not if you employ a sophisticated cutting-edge streaming system as we have in CryEngine. However in addition to the technological aspect we believe that whatever game we do has to be designed with the specific strength a platform offers in mind to make a really good game."

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/crysis-warhead-post-mortem.htm

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

LINK

jasonheyman

Yaerli never said anything about it being a good idea for them to port crysis to consoles. The article writer said that. Also

Yerli also downplayed the oft rumored console version on Crysis. "Crysis as we have seen is impossible [on consoles]. Crysis would have to be largely changed to bring it to Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3," he said. "Crysis is designed to be PC Exclusive. Our internal focus is not linked to bring Crysis to consoles."

This is all that yaerli said about the matter, stop spinning articles in your favour.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
They should go ahead and port it...Then more people would get to play it. Console gaming is just more mainstream then PC gaming. So more money for Crytek. Seems developers would know this by now.
TheMistique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheMistique
Member since 2008 • 1421 Posts
i seriously dont think you console only people will want crysis to see the light of day on a console. beleive me i play both my pc and ps3 and seeing crysis on a console would be a smack in the face to console people because it will be soooo dumbed down it wouldnt even be funny.
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackdreamhunk
They should go ahead and port it...Then more people would get to play it. Console gaming is just more mainstream then PC gaming. So more money for Crytek. Seems developers would know this by now.FunkyHeadHunter
I don't see spore, wow linage or guild wars on console. Yea i don't see the game sales pc gets on console!
Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts
[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

lesner87

LOL at Crytek when Ubisoft managed to port a far better engine than Cryengine 2 on consoles.But thats again all dependent on the optimization and how much time is spent on the engine.

ROFLMAO @ you , comparing cryengine2 to dunia engine.

jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jasonheyman

"Console technology has advanced a great deal since we released Far Cry," he continued. "Our teams have since found it very exciting to push the boundaries of what most people today consider possible to do on those platforms, both technically and artistically."

In addition, Seeley expressed his belief that things will be better on consoles as "consoles themselves are, in one sense, simply very good DRM technologies."

Harald Seeley commenting on consoles;)

LINK

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blackdreamhunk

"Console technology has advanced a great deal since we released Far Cry," he continued. "Our teams have since found it very exciting to push the boundaries of what most people today consider possible to do on those platforms, both technically and artistically."

In addition, Seeley expressed his belief that things will be better on consoles as "consoles themselves are, in one sense, simply very good DRM technologies."

Harald Seeley commenting on consoles;)

LINK

jasonheyman

yea it's so great that falbe 2,gear of war 2,fallout 3,farcry 2 got pirated to hell and back!

yea consoles are so great it can play crysis, sins of the solar empire and project offset!

jasonheyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonheyman
CryENGINE2 How Crytek plans on making things happen on the consoles;)
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blackdreamhunk
CryENGINE2 How Crytek plans on making things happen on the consoles;)jasonheyman
guess what by the time consoles are even able to run crysis pc gamers will have opengl!!!! project offset!
ukillwegrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 ukillwegrill
Member since 2007 • 3528 Posts

killerfist

Dumbed down? graphically maybe, the physics weren't all that.

I wouldnt call that dumbing it down. Allthough, it it had was shiny graphics and average gamplay. So maybe it is too much of a loss.

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lesner87
[QUOTE="lesner87"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

jaisimar_chelse

hahaha kids at GS so you figured out which engine i was talking about ? Must have taken you around an hour :lol:.I have discussed this tons of times at beyond3d and extreme pc hardware forums...i wont obviously discuss it with GSers.

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/actionspiele/8308-pcgh-technical-q-far-cry-2-dominic-guay.html

Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts
[QUOTE="jaisimar_chelse"][QUOTE="lesner87"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

lesner87

hahaha kids at GS so you figured out which engine i was talking about ? Must have taken you around an hour :lol:.I have discussed this tons of times at beyond3d and extreme pc hardware forums...i wont obviously discuss it with GSers.

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/actionspiele/8308-pcgh-technical-q-far-cry-2-dominic-guay.html

wut are you on ?

anyho, ubisoft have themselves said that FC2 on consoles look like "medium-high" of Pc settings, so i dont know how you reached the conclusion that'ubisoft managed to port a FAR better engine than cryengine2 on consoles'.

MegaManZXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MegaManZXY
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts
hermits am cry, also stop pirating your games so much.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I don't see how with out A) Dumbing down the overall visuals, textures to a huge degree or B) Fundamentally changing the game making the enviroments far less wide open.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10556 Posts
if they can get it to run on consoles then fair play to em, its a great game and should be played by as many as possible.
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lesner87
[QUOTE="lesner87"][QUOTE="jaisimar_chelse"][QUOTE="lesner87"][QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

jaisimar_chelse

wut are you on ?

anyho, ubisoft have themselves said that FC2 on consoles look like "medium-high" of Pc settings, so i dont know how you reached the conclusion that'ubisoft managed to port a FAR better engine than cryengine2 on consoles'.

No they said that consoles lack some of the things like resolution and frame rate but all the features are going to console version.And there was just one hands on claiming that console version looked like medium....there are others which claim no difference ;).Wiating for gametrailers comparison vid....

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

They are now working on console games becuase of the pc not selling how they wanted it so they've abandoned it like

(list of Lazy Devlopers)

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
I am sure that it will look just as good on consoles. Just like all other multiplats... :roll:
ExtremeOne316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ExtremeOne316
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

Crysis will most likely get a console port the question is not if but when since the 360 and PS3 can both run the game
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]

ukillwegrill

Dumbed down? graphically maybe, the physics weren't all that.

I wouldnt call that dumbing it down. Allthough, it it had was shiny graphics and average gamplay. So maybe it is too much of a loss.

If Crysis's gameplay is average then the gameplay you find in Halo and Call of Duty must be absolutely terrible.

Linear shooters with very limited options in each combat situation. Crysis is linear too, but the amount of options you are presented with to carry out each battle is astounding.

Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hihatrider87
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

would anybody actually be surprised if crysis came to consoles? i'd bet on it if i had any takers.

i've never played crysis because i just use a crappy dell for all my pc stuff. my thing is who cares that the graphics won't look as good? if the core gameplay is good then it should still be a fun game to play. as long as the graphics are "good enough" then i don't care. i'd like to play it.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

It's been rumoured for a long time now that it'll come to consoles sometime early next year. I assume it'll be hugely downgraded though, I've never actually seen Crysis in motion.Floppy_Jim

if thats true then dont judge it on the inferior console version when it inevitably comes out. its going to look worse than medium on pc and have smaller chopped levels im sure. theres no way either console could pull off that draw distance at that detail and lets not even get started on lighting (god rays ftw)

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

would anybody actually be surprised if crysis came to consoles? i'd bet on it if i had any takers.

i've never played crysis because i just use a crappy dell for all my pc stuff. my thing is who cares that the graphics won't look as good? if the core gameplay is good then it should still be a fun game to play. as long as the graphics are "good enough" then i don't care. i'd like to play it.

Hihatrider87

The problem is that one of Crysis's main gameplay elements is tied with one of the main graphical elements... the physics.

Also, Crysis by itself (without counting all those background programs) uses about 600MB of RAM on low settings. that's more than you can find in the entire 360. Heck, my 4-year old PC has over twice as much total RAM as the 360.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Far Cry 2 looks laughable compared to Crysis. Seriously. There was 11-month gap between them, and when I first played Far Cry 2 I thought to mysel 'was that supposed to be a progress' ? I played them both.
Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hihatrider87
[QUOTE="Hihatrider87"]

aliblabla2007

The problem is that one of Crysis's main gameplay elements is tied with one of the main graphical elements... the physics.

Also, Crysis by itself (without counting all those background programs) uses about 600MB of RAM on low settings. that's more than you can find in the entire 360. Heck, my 4-year old PC has over twice as much total RAM as the 360.

just out of curiousity, i wonder how much ram doom 3 (pc) used at low settings. More than 64m?

my point is that i would think that they could optimize the code enough to make it run well on 360 or ps3. i'm sure the physics could be toned down too. for me, all it has be is a good game for consoles, cause as far as shooters go, thats all i know.

ignorance is bliss.

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lesner87

Far Cry 2 looks laughable compared to Crysis. Seriously. There was 11-month gap between them, and when I first played Far Cry 2 I thought to mysel 'was that supposed to be a progress' ? I played them both.Salt_The_Fries

lol really ?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]Far Cry 2 looks laughable compared to Crysis. Seriously. There was 11-month gap between them, and when I first played Far Cry 2 I thought to mysel 'was that supposed to be a progress' ? I played them both.lesner87

lol really ?

Are you ironic or serious? Anyway, yes, I mean it. From the very beginning character models looked lackluster, and the environment it's not that great (I played 360 version) In some ways, even Armed Assault (a game from the beginning of 2007) looks better in certain aspects.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
if it does i'll expect probably medium-high. Except some people say the Crysis world is too big for console memory to handle so i wonder what they'll do if they do port it.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
What you missed is the date of the article...May 2008. Since then they've stated already in a press release (that coincidentally was on GS News) that the Crysis series was remaining PC exclusive but that future new IP's they'd CONSIDER releasing as a multiplat release.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

just out of curiousity, i wonder how much ram doom 3 (pc) used at low settings. More than 64m?

my point is that i would think that they could optimize the code enough to make it run well on 360 or ps3. i'm sure the physics could be toned down too. for me, all it has be is a good game for consoles, cause as far as shooters go, thats all i know.

ignorance is bliss.

Hihatrider87

ignorance is bliss indeed

tell me, what difference do you see between:

DOOM 3

and

Crysis

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
[QUOTE="lesner87"]

[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]Far Cry 2 looks laughable compared to Crysis. Seriously. There was 11-month gap between them, and when I first played Far Cry 2 I thought to mysel 'was that supposed to be a progress' ? I played them both.Salt_The_Fries

lol really ?

Are you ironic or serious? Anyway, yes, I mean it. From the very beginning character models looked lackluster, and the environment it's not that great (I played 360 version) In some ways, even Armed Assault (a game from the beginning of 2007) looks better in certain aspects.

theres your answer. its not a good lookin console game.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

Hihatrider87

Probably, but the levels in Doom 3 were pretty linear. This enabled id to chop the levels into smaller pieces that could fit onto an Xbox.

Crysis, OTOH, uses very large levels, and its gameplay rather relies on the entirity of this large level being interactive. Which means the entire level must be in memory, which means (at over 600MB, not even counting the graphical memory such a level is using--on minimum settings), Crysis is essentially out of reach for the current generation of consoles. Now, next generation...we'll see.

Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hihatrider87
[QUOTE="Hihatrider87"]

ignorance is bliss.

IgGy621985

ignorance is bliss indeed

tell me, what difference do you see between:

DOOM 3

* doom 3 pic

and

Crysis

*crysis pic

you missed my point. i was definately not comparing doom 3 to crysis. when doom 3 came out, it was considered by many to be the best graphics to date. a similar situation to where crysis is at right now. doom 3 had high requirements in order to get the great graphics. i think i remember people saying that it required a vid card w/ 256 ram to play at high settings. there was an xbox version. the xbox had a total of 64 mb (ding,sing,sing!) of system memory. doom3 for xbox looked great (better then riddick imo).

the xbox version was able to look so good was because they optimized the game for it. this tells me that it might be possible for crysis to have the same success. the caveat being that the devs have to really work in order to get optimized.

not saying the situations are identical, but definately similiar.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

you missed my point. i was definately not comparing doom 3 to crysis. when doom 3 came out, it was considered by many to be the best graphics to date. a similar situation to where crysis is at right now. doom 3 had high requirements in order to get the great graphics. i think i remember people saying that it required a vid card w/ 256 ram to play at high settings. there was an xbox version. the xbox had a total of 64 mb (ding,sing,sing!) of system memory. doom3 for xbox looked great (better then riddick imo).

the xbox version was able to look so good was because they optimized the game for it. this tells me that it might be possible for crysis to have the same success. the caveat being that the devs have to really work in order to get optimized.

not saying the situations are identical, but definately similiar.

Hihatrider87
I answered that in the post above yours. id chopped the levels to XBox-sized bites. Can't do that with Crysis for the most part because of its more open nature.
Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hihatrider87
[QUOTE="Hihatrider87"]

HuusAsking

Probably, but the levels in Doom 3 were pretty linear. This enabled id to chop the levels into smaller pieces that could fit onto an Xbox.

Crysis, OTOH, uses very large levels, and its gameplay rather relies on the entirity of this large level being interactive. Which means the entire level must be in memory, which means (at over 600MB, not even counting the graphical memory such a level is using--on minimum settings), Crysis is essentially out of reach for the current generation of consoles. Now, next generation...we'll see.

your right. the size of the levels, to me, would be the biggest issue. the graphics and physics could be toned down, but the level design isn't so easily fixed. it might be possible to shrink the levels slighty. maybe add a little bit more "pathyness" to the level progression. i think they ran into the same kinds of problems bringing far cry over to consoles. it would definately be a different game. all i care about is if its fun.