Cross Console Multiplayer, Why not?!!

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#1 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Most people have made up their minds and having either a 360 or a PS3. Or for those rare gamers both. My question is why hasn't someone created a game that PS3 gamers can play 360 gamers on multiplayer matches. I know it can be done. There are muti-console games coming out that would be awesome if this multiplayer cross-console play was available. I really don't think you'll get console jumping because of that.

What are you thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Because MS and Sony don't want to.

I never saw the appeal of such an idea, it wouldn't change anything.

iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

lol that would be hillarious

1 side playing for free while the other is on a subscription :lol:

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Microsoft has the largest online user base. They dont need Sony's userbase to have decent matchmaking for most games.They dont want to contribute their large amount of players to Sony.

Sony would really, really like to have Microsoft's pool of users, but they dont want to contribute their userbase to bolster Live even further.

Basically, while they both gain something, they both lose something and only the gamers win. But theres no business in that.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

There already is such a game. Final Fantasy XI is cross platform, on the same servers. People on PC, PS2/PS3, and Xbox 360 all play together at the same time.

XCyberForceX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 1

#6 XCyberForceX
Member since 2008 • 1223 Posts

Microsoft has the largest online user base. They dont need Sony's userbase to have decent matchmaking for most games.They dont want to contribute their large amount of players to Sony.

Sony would really, really like to have Microsoft's pool of users, but they dont want to contribute their userbase to bolster Live even further.

Basically, while they both gain something, they both lose something and only the gamers win. But theres no business in that.

XaosII
Yeah, I guess it just comes down to dollars and cents but it would be great for gamers. Maybe Sony would initiate the Pay-to-Play for certain games. But what Sony gamer would pay for that since they don't pay for anything now?
iMuhKhajiit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 iMuhKhajiit
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

Because, XBL subscribers are generally better than the PSN players, and I can attest to that, being a mediocre XBL player, and then just destroying it on the playstation. The skill level is off, mainly due to the fact the people who pay for XBL are really into it, and PSN is just something you can do with your wifi and free PSN on the playstation. Also, they've tried this before with PC and XBL players. They took everyday PC gamers and had them play some COD with XBL MLGs. The PC gamers won every time. Each console brings it's own challenges, with, without trying to sound like a troll, PSN doesn't really offer a challenge with the online play.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

lol that would be hillarious

1 side playing for free while the other is on a subscription :lol:

iMojo786_PSN

What's so hilarious about it? It's happened before.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

would be a disaster because I have noticed 360 players are generally far more skilled then PS3 players.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanks
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

would be a disaster because I have noticed 360 players are generally far more skilled then PS3 players.

Harisemo

Depends on what you're playing. Uncharted 2 is filled with a bunch of bums, but if you play Socom Confrontation or Warhawk prepare to get served.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
there is almost no reason to have both xbox360 and PS3as it is. yea, they both have exclusives, but really, how many? most games come out on both consoles and PC(and a few wateredown on Wii). It would make sense that there is cross console mutli...but then there would really be no reason to get a PS3 over a xbox360. If nintendo would just make a PS3 caliber console, then would we even have other consoles? 3rd party devs dont care where their games get released as long as they make $, and nintendo is the best 1st party dev. so if anything, do we really need 3 console makers + PC gaming?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
I would love to see that in dark souls
shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Grawse

Depends on what you're playing. Uncharted 2 is filled with a bunch of bums, but if you play Socom Confrontation or Warhawk prepare to get served.

Id make you a list of X360 games where the level of competition is high but that would take too long. Moral of the story X360 gamers would win 95% of cross platform COD (for example) games.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Because MS and Sony don't want to.

I never saw the appeal of such an idea, it wouldn't change anything.

IronBass

It would double the comunity size.

On topic, there are an off road game that supports it. Dust514 will also.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksshadow8585

:lol: Please

High level of competition in your Call of Duty games? Do you honestly believe people on PSN are significantly worse than people on Xbox? Its the same thing

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

oh god yes..that would be epic!..kicking the 360s team on an FPS would be so fun..trash talking..epic! lol.. i would support it.. call of duty match where PS3 gamers play against 360 gamers on a search and destroy. would love that

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="Grawse"]

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

shadow8585

Id make you a list of X360 games where the level of competition is high but that would take too long. Moral of the story X360 gamers would win 95% of cross platform COD (for example) games.

If you seriously cared about that, you'd be playing on the PC. Theres no such thing as a highly competitive game on consoles except for fighting games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63f6895020e66

It would double the comunity size.PAL360

Which would only make a difference in unpopular games, and not a significant one.

In popular games, like Black Ops, you can find more than enough players anytime, the effect of the community being even bigger would be unnoticeable.

iMuhKhajiit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iMuhKhajiit
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksBPoole96

High level of competition in your Call of Duty games? Do you honestly believe people on PSN are significantly worse than people on Xbox? Its the same thing

They really are significantly worse, at the least the majority. Not that ps3 gamers are bad, just that playing on XBL is a greater challenge. Honestly, if you play ps3 regularly move over to an xbox for a day, see how you do. Same thing happened to me, I was halfway decent at COD on the xbox, with a K/D of 1.27. Then I jump over to the ps3 and my K/D skyrockets to 2.00+, it really is easier.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

XaosII
This man uses that noggin on his head.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

I have noticed the slight skill gap between PS3 and 360 gamers while playing. On average though neither are particularly good.

The amount of stuff you can get away with in MW2/BO on the 360 is hilarious compared to the PC.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="PAL360"]It would double the comunity size.IronBass

Which would only make a difference in unpopular games, and not a significant one.

In popular games, like Black Ops, you can find more than enough players anytime, the effect of the community being even bigger would be unnoticeable.

It would be our own system wars :P.. well they can always disable the chat but i for one would love to see that and the ability to chat cross patform, cant imagine what would happen to the clan im in when they incounter a 360 team, trash talking at the highest level! .Epic! :P.. acivition hopefully they will be able to pull this kind of thing off in the future.hope the people on live actualy know how to play... too much Call of Duty talk make me want to play it lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-63f6895020e66

It would be our own system wars :P.. well they can always disable the chat but i for one would love to see that and the ability to chat cross patform, cant imagine what would happen to the clan im in when they incounter a 360 team, trash talking at the highest level! .Epic! :P.. acivition hopefully they will be able to pull this kind of thing off in the future.hope the people on live actualy know how to play... too much Call of Duty talk make me want to play it lolfinalstar2007

I like SW andmy actual games separated, thanks.

Anyways that's not happening anytime soon.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksiMuhKhajiit

They really are significantly worse, at the least the majority. Not that ps3 gamers are bad, just that playing on XBL is a greater challenge. Honestly, if you play ps3 regularly move over to an xbox for a day, see how you do. Same thing happened to me, I was halfway decent at COD on the xbox, with a K/D of 1.27. Then I jump over to the ps3 and my K/D skyrockets to 2.00+, it really is easier.

Well I've played hours of Call of Duty MP on Xbox (I own a PS3 only yet all my friends own 360s), and I do just as well on both platforms. Consider this with your difference in KD. When you started on the Xbox, you didn't know the maps, you didn't know which guns were the best, you didn't know the best perk set ups. In the beginning you may have died a lot more because of these things, whereas you knew all of that when you played the PS3.

I do the same on both, and this is with me not being used to the 360's controller. I even played Halo 3 awhile ago and was getting in the Top 3 every match on TDM since knowing the maps aren't as big of a deal as CoD and their layouts are pretty simple.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

[QUOTE="iMuhKhajiit"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Well I've played hours of Call of Duty MP on Xbox (I own a PS3 only yet all my friends own 360s), and I do just as well on both platforms. Consider this with your difference in KD. When you started on the Xbox, you didn't know the maps, you didn't know which guns were the best, you didn't know the best perk set ups. In the beginning you may have died a lot more because of these things, whereas you knew all of that when you played the PS3.

I do the same on both, and this is with me not being used to the 360's controller. I even played Halo 3 awhile ago and was getting in the Top 3 every match on TDM since knowing the maps aren't as big of a deal as CoD and their layouts are pretty simple.

Yeah, man. I know from experience that it's just as competitive on both platforms.

I've always liked the idea of cross-platform play, but that won't happen... Would be nice if Dark Souls had it, lol.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PAL360

Many of those unpopular games are better than CoD, just not as popular.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksBPoole96

They don't have to be worse, the multiplayer community is significantly larger. therefore the likelihood of "great" players goes up. not because of system but because of volume. i.e. if 10% percent of each population is "great" but one population has 10 people and the other has 100 hundred people then there are 10x's the number of great players. with more multiplayer games and a larger mulitplayer community the level of competition increases. me as an example: I am really good at online competitive play on 360 (team fortress 2, Battlefield bad company 2), but I am only mediocre at single player ranked games on ps3 (batman AA and Little Big Planet each have community rank systems). i think this is because of the type of game and players per system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Many of those unpopular games are better than CoD, just not as popular.PAL360
Not questioning that, but their quality is not relevant.
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 finalstar2007

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="iMuhKhajiit"]

Episode_Eve

Yeah, man. I know from experience that it's just as competitive on both platforms.

I've always liked the idea of cross-platform play, but that won't happen... Would be nice if Dark Souls had it, lol.

I dont want it on an RPG! noo make it happen on a call of duty game! :P.. i want to test 360 gamers and see how bad they are

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
portal 2.....well without the 360 crowd.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksfadersdream

They don't have to be worse, the multiplayer community is significantly larger. therefore the likelihood of "great" players goes up. not because of system but because of volume. i.e. if 10% percent of each population is "great" but one population has 10 people and the other has 100 hundred people then there are 10x's the number of great players. with more multiplayer games and a larger mulitplayer community the level of competition increases. me as an example: I am really good at online competitive play on 360 (team fortress 2, Battlefield bad company 2), but I am only mediocre at single player ranked games on ps3 (batman AA and Little Big Planet each have community rank systems). i think this is because of the type of game and players per system.

The community on Xbox isn't 90% larger than the PS3's though. Yes, it may be more, but not to an extent to where the number of good players on 360 completely overwhelms the number on PS3. And the PS3 players that are "Good" would still be good if the 2 platforms meshed together. Plus, if the 2 platforms mixed, the number that would grow more are the players that aren't good at the game, since they are the majority of each platform. The game may actually even become easier.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BPoole96

[QUOTE="Episode_Eve"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

finalstar2007

I dont want it on an RPG! noo make it happen on a call of duty game! :P.. i want to test 360 gamers and see how bad they are

There is no difference. Each platforms has good players and bad players. Unless the game otherwise specified that a player was playing on XBL or PSN, you would have no idea who was playing on which.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="iMuhKhajiit"]

Episode_Eve

I think it would be a lot more enjoyable in games that require team work. If it was in a CoD game, I would really get tired of hearing "Oh look at all these PlayStation *******" and vice versa. A game like Portal 2 is great for this feature since its about working together rather than competing, which only builds hostility (on a video game for that matter).

Darks Souls would be awesome for this as well, getting invaded by some green phantoms or have Skittles the Tiger raid your game and murder you :P

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

[QUOTE="fadersdream"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

The community on Xbox isn't 90% larger than the PS3's though. Yes, it may be more, but not to an extent to where the number of good players on 360 completely overwhelms the number on PS3. And the PS3 players that are "Good" would still be good if the 2 platforms meshed together. Plus, if the 2 platforms mixed, the number that would grow more are the players that aren't good at the game, since they are the majority of each platform. The game may actually even become easier.

I was making the math easy by using multiples of ten, but the rest of what you said is the point I was trying to make. Good players are good no matter, the distribution is just different, and therefore the learning curve is different per system. When there are 4 great players in a round it's less noticable as when there is only one good player per round. I tend to notice this discrepency on the ps3 more. this is just a quantitative observation, not a qualitative one.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]Many of those unpopular games are better than CoD, just not as popular.IronBass
Not questioning that, but their quality is not relevant.

Some of those great games are dead mp wise. Cross platform would give them a longer life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Some of those great games are dead mp wise. Cross platform would give them a longer life.PAL360
A minimally longer life. Two dead communities don't make an active one, not even a moderately active one.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

Id make you a list of X360 games where the level of competition is high but that would take too long. Moral of the story X360 gamers would win 95% of cross platform COD (for example) games. shadow8585

Based on what exactly?

---

OT: Why would this make any difference to anything? Usually the amount of people who purchased the game is enough to fill numerous multiplayer games, so who the heck cares?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="fadersdream"] They don't have to be worse, the multiplayer community is significantly larger. therefore the likelihood of "great" players goes up. not because of system but because of volume. i.e. if 10% percent of each population is "great" but one population has 10 people and the other has 100 hundred people then there are 10x's the number of great players. with more multiplayer games and a larger mulitplayer community the level of competition increases. me as an example: I am really good at online competitive play on 360 (team fortress 2, Battlefield bad company 2), but I am only mediocre at single player ranked games on ps3 (batman AA and Little Big Planet each have community rank systems). i think this is because of the type of game and players per system.fadersdream

I was making the math easy by using multiples of ten, but the rest of what you said is the point I was trying to make. Good players are good no matter, the distribution is just different, and therefore the learning curve is different per system. When there are 4 great players in a round it's less noticable as when there is only one good player per round. I tend to notice this discrepency on the ps3 more. this is just a quantitative observation, not a qualitative one.

I understand. It just made it seem as if you saying the 360 community is that much larger than PS3's. I'd guess its only 10-15% larger which wouldn't make that much of a difference in the good/bad player ratio

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]Some of those great games are dead mp wise. Cross platform would give them a longer life.IronBass
A minimally longer life. Two dead communities don't make an active one, not even a moderately active one.

Makes sense, it wouldnt be a day/night difference but would help.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

It's not about getting more players, it's about giving the players new options and challenges.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

It would definitely be another log thrown on the SW fire.

Example: Game X gets 9.0 for PS3, and 8.5 for 360.

Lems and Cows play said game and Cows are dominated.

Cows: "We have the definitive console version, lol."

Lems: "Yeah, but you guys totally suck at it, lmao."

Imagine the possibilities.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts
I dont want to play against PSN players. Maybe kicking their as* for a weekend would be fun but I like my level of competition to be as high as possible at all times, thanksshadow8585
This is SYSTEM wars not fanboy wars. If you didn't even read that right I cannot imagine how you can even navigate through menu's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63f6895020e66
It's not about getting more players, it's about giving the players new options and challenges.omho88
What options and challenges would those be?
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 omho88
[QUOTE="bez2083"]

It would definitely be another log thrown on the SW fire.

Example: Game X gets 9.0 for PS3, and 8.5 for 360.

Lems and Cows play said game and Cows are dominated.

Cows: "We have the definitive console version, lol."

Lems: "Yeah, but you guys totally suck at it, lmao."

Imagine the possibilities.

you are completely wrong, SW can't stand such thing, we will need a totally different forum aside from SW to accomodate the traffic and the threads ............ I bet it can take SW total threads in a year at most ?!!
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
why not? Microsoft is why
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 omho88
[QUOTE="omho88"] It's not about getting more players, it's about giving the players new options and challenges.IronBass

Different players obviously !!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="omho88"] It's not about getting more players, it's about giving the players new options and challenges.omho88

Different players obviously !!!

That's implicit in "more players" :3

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
Intellectual nightmare
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

There already is such a game. Final Fantasy XI is cross platform, on the same servers. People on PC, PS2/PS3, and Xbox 360 all play together at the same time.

evilross
none of which are part of psn/360's closed networks sections if i'm not mistaken