"Cozy" games: do you enjoy, and your favorites?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By mrbojangles25

Poll "Cozy" games: do you enjoy, and your favorites? (22 votes)

Yes! I love to relax to some nice farming and fishing and stuff. 45%
They're OK, I will dabble once in a while 36%
No! So boring! 18%

So I think the genre or the style of game has been around for quite a few years but the label "cozy game" seems somewhat recent to me, and with the popularity and abundance of these games I guess I'd sort of like to see where System Wars stands on the subject.

For those wondering, "cozy" games refer to things like Stardew Valley, Lightyear Frontier, Animal Crossing, and things like that.

They often tend to incorporate many of the following: exploration, farming, building, community (through NPC characters, but also there can be a multiplayer component), and a general lack of difficulty.

I know my boy @hardwenzen is probably a huge fan of the genre due to the lack of challenge and casual nature! 😋😉😊 Just teasing; to each their own.

Anyway, I sort of dabble. The open-ended nature appeals to me but there is often a bit of a grind to them that get's tedious, and the oft-cutesy nature of these games turns me off.

Graveyard Keeper was pretty good though! And I am currently enjoying Lightyear Frontier (thanks Game Pass!).

So what say you, System Wars?

• 
robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7263 Posts

I spent far too long fishing in red dead 2 if that counts.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

I love fishing games...

Well, most of the time. lolol :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

@SecretPolice said:

I love fishing games...

Well, most of the time. lolol :P

Yeah I think that's definitely something that can count towards the "cozy game" vibe lol

I found myself fishing in WoW for a period of time recently until I was like "OK why am I doing this?". I think that's when I decided to cancel my sub; I had officially ran out of meaningful things to do.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

I don't play that many relaxing games. I don't even play that many RTS or city builders anymore.

But I guess platformers still do it for me. Mario games are nice and easy, but they can also kill you in one hit if you fall down a bottomless pit. I like that kind of "ease you in but punish you really hard" style.

Anyway I just bought Flock because Capcom is delisting it, gonna give it a try tonight :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69899 Posts

Adventure games like Harold Halibut.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Most recently that game for me was Dave the Diver.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2950 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

Real cozy. And after fishing, you went and executed some cowboys, right?

Hehe.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2950 Posts

I enjoyed Soccer Story. Real cozy game. Relaxing music, charming old'-school 2D graphics and mostly slow-paced gameplay. What's not to like?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22794 Posts

Minecraft and No man's sky are probably the two cozy games I've spent most time in... Games where I feel mostly non threatened but have task oriented work to do.... Ahhh....

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

Lightyear Frontier is on my wishlist to look into since I enjoy building sim games. Banished is a classic builder and Patron is a newer, upgraded Banished. More recently I've gotten into Satisfactory which is a super in depth factory builder on other planets, and Timberborn which is a solid builder with with - you guessed it- BEAVERS.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

My best friend loves Animal Crossing. She has sunk well over 1k hours into that game on her Nintendo Switch. She told me that the game had a co-op feature, so I had the idea that I should get the game and play with her some time. I purchased it full price at GameStop. It started off well enough. I slowly got rid of grass to make a clearing for my house, but it was taking so long. And then I found out I could get a lawn mower!! Spent some time trying to get it, but I eventually did. Then I found out that Animal Crossing is a house decor game with little to no interactivity with the items you get, such as the lawn mower. BORING!!!! I need objectives to stay interested in a game.

tl;dr Cozy game ain't my jam.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts
@jaydan said:

Same here, been enjoying it so far.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56243 Posts

I've answered this type of question in Games Discussion weeks ago, so I'll just copy/paste my answer here.

Just playing anything helps me relaxed but if I want to play a real relaxing game, games like No Man's Sky and Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution are my main games for relaxing but playing Yu-Gi-Oh truly helps me relaxed more so. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is truly the ultimate relaxing, cozy game you can get is one one of my favorites to play.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7323 Posts

I dabble in these. Played some Sim Ant and Sim City back in the day, but the first deep dive I remember was the Chow Gardens in the Sonic Adventure games. I think going back and forth between that and the sonic levels was what really kept me hooked. Each part provided a bit of respite from the other.

Have tried a bit of Animal Crossing, Sims, Harvest Moon and had a good time, but usually fall off after a while. The one dedicated cosy game where I played through the whole story mode is Endless Ocean: Blue World. Looking forward to Luminous, but the procedurally generated world has me worried.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

@Pedro said:

Adventure games like Harold Halibut.

There are this kind of story telling platformers that are more about telling you a story or easing you into a certain atmosphere than they are about punishing gameplay:

Braid, Limbo, Somerville, etc

I think Harold fits that category as well?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan

@SOedipus said:
@jaydan said:

Glad to hear someone else finally playing it here besides myself. Indie gem certified.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

In reality the Tomb Raider games, the proper ones, are slow paced with very little action. It's one of the great lies in gaming that it's a fast paced action game, like Ghost pretending Metro isn't Call Of Duty in a tunnel. or OOT being the best game ever made.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

So.....just casual games? lol sure why not.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44331 Posts

I do enjoy dabbling in “cozy” games from time to time. Really like playing Minecraft and puzzle type games.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3081 Posts

Dabble. I liked Flower and Abzu, but they both have moments of tension. Darkfall was a fairly hardcore MMO with full loot. So you had to keep your head on a swivel looking for jerks trying to gank you and stealing all your stuff. That said, I too had a wonderful moment fishing. It was just a pretty area in the middle of nowhere, and it felt great to calmly sit down and perform a simple task. The juxtaposition of this with the real threat in the world felt great.

I tried Stardew but couldn't get into it. I get why people like it, and there were moments, but I knew I didn't want to sink that much time and effort into that world.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50597 Posts

Not for me, nah. But I have nothing against them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
@shellcase86 said:

So.....just casual games? lol sure why not.

No not explicitly casual. I wouldn't lump a factory builder like Factorio or Satisfactory in there as those games can induce some stress when your supply chain breaks down or your plan didn't quite come together. Though I'd still consider those titles mostly-casual since there isn't really anything to beat, it's just a sandbox (though definitions of course vary).

I'm referring strictly to the "cozy" casual label I've seen pop up lately; your Stardew Valleys, your Dave the Divers, your Lightspeed Frontiers, and so on and so forth.

Yes I know I am being nitpicky 😁

@jaydan said:
@SOedipus said:
@jaydan said:

Glad to hear someone else finally playing it here besides myself. Indie gem certified.

Definitely on my list! I heard great things.

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Lightyear Frontier is on my wishlist to look into since I enjoy building sim games. Banished is a classic builder and Patron is a newer, upgraded Banished. More recently I've gotten into Satisfactory which is a super in depth factory builder on other planets, and Timberborn which is a solid builder with with - you guessed it- BEAVERS.

Banished had some serious challenge to it though, and is arguably a survival game.

I don't know if an outright survival game really counts as "cozy" or "casual".

I get it, though; I play games like that to relax too so I guess it could count. But if anyone comes in here telling me they think Frostpunk is casual, well....

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Never got into Stardew Valley, but may try it one day. I tried Dave the Diver a few months back and the gameplay loop was really fun.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

I’ve never actually played any of those kinds of games, if I want to just veg out and relax to a game I’ll play magic the gathering: Arena or something turn based.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17451 Posts

Coral Island (also on Game Pass).

It is a surprisingly good game, with a really compelling story and characters. I did not expect that at all. Its supposed to be a farming game, but its also a bit of a life sim, as there are a ton of characters to interact and build relationships with.

I went into it testing it for my son and fell in love with it.

You guys should definitely try it if you have Game Pass

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6326 Posts

I would say the coziest games I play are Forza Horizon because you can just drive and have fun going over jumps, flying down the highway at top speed, drifting and just having a good time.

Oh other games I say is like that and that's Just Cause 3 & 4, just messing around with the tethers like knee camping a person, hook a tether up to them, then hook the other end to a gas cylinder and shooting it only to see it take off into the air with the guy attached, just good old relaxing fun. Or attaching one end of the tether to your car and the other end to a wind turbine and it shoot you and the car miles into the air, you just can't beat it for fun.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jaydan

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, it's a shame Gamespot didn't bother reviewing Dave the Diver. I know some people here live and die by the Gamespot review, but everywhere else including IGN raved about it, and even more popular with audiences.

Definitely want to spread the word that Dave the Diver is worth it, since Gamespot couldn't do it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

I thought I like farming sims but I just have immense nostalgia for Harvest Moon Back to Nature. I could play that game (and its remakes, enhanced ver, gba ver) for long stretch and not get bored.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44331 Posts

Really enjoyed Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Very cozy game indeed.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2081 Posts

fallout 4 specifically settlement building, mod in additional assets, build anywhere and dump a bunch of crafting resources into my inventory, let the creativity go from there.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@sonny2dap said:

fallout 4 specifically settlement building, mod in additional assets, build anywhere and dump a bunch of crafting resources into my inventory, let the creativity go from there.

haha ya I did that the other day. Gotta love console commands.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16020 Posts

I like Bejeweled. It's easy to get into, yet hard to master.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34689 Posts

I play Animal Crossing sometimes, which is just pure cozy. Otherwise I find many other games I like cozy, such as Valheim. Yeah, you can go and slay a giant troll, but you can also build upon your neat little cottage in the forest with nice weather and calming music. Or when you set sail in Wind Waker or Phantom Hourglass and then set foot on a calm island. Cozy af.

Wish there were more cozy stuff I liked. Tried Stardew Valley, but it made me more stressed than Doom.

FastNslowww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FastNslowww
Member since 2024 • 24 Posts

What are you 10?....gsus. But if you are, i can understand lol.