Could The Mass Effect Collection for PS3 be announced at this year's E3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Mass Effect Collection PS3 boxart box art cover

Mass Effect has been rumored on PS3 ever since EA bought Bioware. Granted, the first game came out in 2007 and 3 years later, still no dice. However, like any good rumor (GTA4 DLC, Fallout 3 DLC, Ninja Gaiden 2, Bioshock, and now possibly even Splinter Cell Conviction), this one doesn't want to go away any time soon. EA has made it clear that they want to make a franchise out of Mass Effect, with the brand reaching into books, comics, toys, and probably animated DVDs or even movies before we know it. However, the roadblock right now is that the fanbase is still a bit on the small side, and EA needs it to grow. Porting the series ot the PS3 seems like it would be a good way to expand the base significantly.

This year, Sony is promising some big stuff at their E3 show. Given how much we've already seen, they'd better have something pretty darned cool up their sleeves. Bioware is denying that hidden bits of PS3 code in Mass Effect 2 are an indication of a PS3 port, but at the same time they refuse to come out and say "These games will NEVER appear on PS3." All we've gotten is the typical "it's exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC," which is the same mantra we heard with many other things that were actually timed exclusives that eventually landed on PS3.

So, why would Mass Effect 1 get ported to the PS3 after 3 years of waiting? Well, it's somewhat simple, really: Bioware wanted to finish Mass Effect 2, so there was no time to work on an ME1 port. However, if there's a PS3 version of ME2 in the works, that means more staff to work on the project-- and potentially, that could mean some help to port ME1 to the system as well. ME2 came out in January, and if they did a port for PS3, it could come out as soon as this Christmas. It would be a bit iffy to charge full price for a late game, though, so what better way to sweeten the deal than to throw in the first game as a two-pack? For PS3 owners, $60 for one long-ass RPG space epic would be a deal too sweet to pass up.

So, what's my prediction? I think that a port of the Mass Effect series, or at least ME2 has been in the works for a pretty long time. When will it come out? Darned if I know, but if I were a betting man I'd put a dollar on it being announced at E3 for a Christmas release. I think that expansion is something EA would very much like to see with this franchise, and the PS3 is the first place they'd go if that's what they seek to do. 3 platforms is certainly preferable to two, after all.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

no

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Not gonna happen

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sayonara89
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts

no

Fizzman
Yes. Mass Effect 2 sales were not so great for 2 systems... EA probably really want PS3 version off ME, but maybe Bioware has some contracts with MS...
sam_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sam_nintendo
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

Highly unlikely.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

I sincerely doubt it. Mass Effect 3 hasn't even been announced yet as far as i'm aware.

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
They're already making ME3, so they'd need to get some random studio to do the ports.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I would really like them to do that, but I also highly doubt they will.

Sh4nk3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sh4nk3r
Member since 2010 • 282 Posts

no

Fizzman
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KittenWishes
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts
No. Ridiculous speculation.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

no

sayonara89
Yes. Mass Effect 2 sales were not so great for 2 systems... EA probably really want PS3 version off ME, but maybe Bioware has some contracts with MS...

As we've seen this gen, there's really no such thing as an "exclusive exclusive" unless it's published by a first party. It's possible that ME1 is tied up due to MS having initially been the publisher before the EA buyout, but it's all up in the air. Also, Bioware clearly played favorites towards PS3 when they developed Dragon Age Origins, so don't expect any sort of loyalty to Microsoft come into play if they have any say about ME getting ported. The only thing I could see holding them back is legal issues, but again, exclusive pretty much means time exclusive. The question is, how long does the arrangement last?
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

Well, all the Lems are gonna say "No." right off the bat, so let's not count the ones who give no kid of explanation. It's like the PS3 owners becoming outraged that FFXIII was gonna be multiplat. Just means for money for SE, lets them churn out more great games. I love mutliplat availability.It would be a smartmove financially for EA, and let's face it, smart financial move are the only priorities in business. However, MS ain't gonna let it go without a fight. I'll give it a 50/50 chance. I don't own a 360, and never plan to, but if multiplatting lets more people experience an apparently great game, and possibly secure the series as a profitable franchise, then it should be done.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
BioWare said they had MS exclusivity regarding Mass Effect, so I don't think it's likely.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timstuff
They're already making ME3, so they'd need to get some random studio to do the ports.Parasomniac
If Bioware lacks the manpower it could be handled internally by EA with Bioware's supervision. If there is a port on the way, then ME3 will almost certainly be developed as a multiplatform game from the start. For all we know, ME2 might have been developed as a multiplatform game as well, but they are not allowed to release it until the time exclusivity on the Xbox 360 version runs out, meaning most of the work is already done.
Humble-Adonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Humble-Adonis
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
I hope so ME2 would be much better without the disk swapping.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

no

sayonara89

Those sales numbers are not including all the Digital Downloads for pc gaming on such things as STEAM, D2D and IMPULSE... which is 80% of pc games sales.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts

My guess is -

Magik85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Magik85
Member since 2009 • 1078 Posts
Who knows...that would be something (for me ME2 is best game for this gen consoles)/
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Everyone but cows know the correct answer to this.

KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KittenWishes

Well, all the Lems are gonna say "No." right off the bat, so let's not count the ones who give no kid of explanation. It's like the PS3 owners becoming outraged that FFXIII was gonna be multiplat. Just means for money for SE, lets them churn out more great games. I love mutliplat availability.It would be a smartmove financially for EA, and let's face it, smart financial move are the only priorities in business. However, MS ain't gonna let it go without a fight. I'll give it a 50/50 chance. I don't own a 360, and never plan to, but if multiplatting lets more people experience an apparently great game, and possibly secure the series as a profitable franchise, then it should be done.

Khadaj32
Why should it? It isn't going to happen, no amount of fanboys carrying on about it on gaming forums is going to wish it into existence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="Parasomniac"]They're already making ME3, so they'd need to get some random studio to do the ports.Timstuff
If Bioware lacks the manpower it could be handled internally by EA with Bioware's supervision. If there is a port on the way, then ME3 will almost certainly be developed as a multiplatform game from the start. For all we know, ME2 might have been developed as a multiplatform game as well, but they are not allowed to release it until the time exclusivity on the Xbox 360 version runs out, meaning most of the work is already done.

Just asking, do you have any solid reason to think all that, or are you just speculating?
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
If it comes to the PS3, it wont be until ME3 is released. It would make more sense for it to be released as a trilogy on the PS3 rather than port the first 2 games now.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I hope so ME2 would be much better without the disk swapping. Humble-Adonis
Seriously. God forbid you have to get off your rump 3 times out of the entire game. That's seriously brutal.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SilentlyMad
Bioware is making Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and ToR. They are not going to worry making ME1 and ME2 for the PS3.
Sh4nk3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sh4nk3r
Member since 2010 • 282 Posts

Khadaj32
So you're saying an exclusive is gonna go multi because of sales. So this the same as saying UC2 or GoW3 can have a "50/50" chance on being on the 360, right?
resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

BioWare said they had MS exclusivity regarding Mass Effect, so I don't think it's likely.IronBass

who gets the decision to make it exclusive, if the ceo president wants mass effect to be multiplatform then he will get it to be multiplatform

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Timstuff
BioWare said they had MS exclusivity regarding Mass Effect, so I don't think it's likely.IronBass
Just like Rockstar and Bethesda said about GTA4 and FO3's DLC, or 2K said about Bioshock, or Tecmo said about Ninja Gaiden 2... "Exclusive" does not mean "it will never be ported." Time exclusives almost always come with gag orders to make sure a minimal amount of people will hold out for a port when the first version gets released. This is common practice, and I thought we'd all caught onto it by now. They've never said "we will never put it on PS3." They've only said "it's exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC," which could very well mean it's a TIMED exclusive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="Humble-Adonis"]I hope so ME2 would be much better without the disk swapping. heretrix

Seriously. God forbid you have to get off your rump 3 times out of the entire game. That's seriously brutal.

3? Only two times. :P
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again: for the love of all that is good and holy, can we please drop the whole "Mass Effect coming to PS3" thing?

First and foremost, EA owns the rights to the entire IP (with the exception of the publishing rights to ME1 on the 360). That means that ME1 and ME2 aren't on the PS3 for one of two reasons:

1. An exclusivity agreement between MS and EA was part of the sale's agreement.
  2. EA simply doesn't think porting the game to PS3 is worth the time and money (which could be used on other, more profitable ventures). There's some logic to this, namely BioWare's problems with Dragon Age DLC on the PS3.

Either way, chances are ME isn't coming to the PS3. Ever. Period. Full stop.

Furthermore, BioWare has already made an excellent game for the PS3 (Dragon Age, and is likely to make other excellent games for the PS3 as well (Dragon Age 2 is apparently coming out next year, and their New Next Gen Game will all-but-certainly be a multiplat). Maybe PS3 owners should spend more time enjoying/hyping those than starting up another "OMG ME2 on the PS3!!!!" thread every time BioWare so much as mentions the PS3?

You can't even claim "ownage" in the pissing contest that is SW, because Mass Effect is already a multiplat title for ****s sake.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Sh4nk3r
So you're saying an exclusive is gonna go multi because of sales. So this the same as saying UC2 or GoW3 can have a "50/50" chance on being on the 360, right?

Those games are published by Sony. They are not going to put them on their competitor's system. The Mass Effect games are published by EA, and they are a multiplatform publisher.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Humble-Adonis"]I hope so ME2 would be much better without the disk swapping. IronBass

EVEN WORSE. Bioware hates gamers.:cry:

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts
Square enix said that about ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63f6895020e66

like Rockstar and Bethesda said about GTA4 and FO3's DLC, or 2K said about Bioshock, or Tecmo said about Ninja Gaiden 2... "Exclusive" does not mean "it will never be ported." Time exclusives almost always come with gag orders to make sure a minimal amount of people will hold out for a port when the first version gets released. This is common practice, and I thought we'd all caught onto it by now. They've never said "we will never put it on PS3." They've only said "it's exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC," which could very well mean it's a TIMED exclusive.Timstuff

Thosegames came out one year (at most) later to the PS3.

It has been almost three years since ME was released.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
NO, why do peolpe keep making up stuff about ME coming to the PS3?
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KittenWishes
[QUOTE="IronBass"]BioWare said they had MS exclusivity regarding Mass Effect, so I don't think it's likely.Timstuff
Just like Rockstar and Bethesda said about GTA4 and FO3's DLC, or 2K said about Bioshock, or Tecmo said about Ninja Gaiden 2... "Exclusive" does not mean "it will never be ported." Time exclusives almost always come with gag orders to make sure a minimal amount of people will hold out for a port when the first version gets released. This is common practice, and I thought we'd all caught onto it by now. They've never said "we will never put it on PS3." They've only said "it's exclusive to Xbox 360 and PC," which could very well mean it's a TIMED exclusive.

its been almost 3 years since Mass Effect was released. Speculation has come and gone, how many times do BioWare and EA have to say that ME wont be coming to the PS3? The likelyhood of ELECTRONIC ARTS releasing a TRILOGY for the PRICE OF ONE of a CURRENT GEN FRANCHISE just isn't going to happen. When was the last time EA gave out games for free? Never.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix

[QUOTE="Sh4nk3r"][QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Timstuff

Those games are published by Sony. They are not going to put them on their competitor's system. The Mass Effect games are published by EA, and they are a multiplatform publisher.

ME 1 was published by MS on the 360 and EA on the PC. Good luck sorting that mess out.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SilentlyMad
[QUOTE="IronBass"]BioWare said they had MS exclusivity regarding Mass Effect, so I don't think it's likely.Respawn-d
Square enix said that about ff

Kinda different FF was same day release. ME1 is 3 years old and ME2 was in Jan and still no word at all. In fact Bioware says again and again 360/PC only but yet Sony fans still do not stop. Just get it on the PC.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Sh4nk3r

First, Santa Monica Studios, the developer of God of War, is owned by Sony. So no, don't be silly. Uncharted 2's developer, Naughty Dog, is also owned by Sony, since 2001. You do know the difference between first party exclusive franchises and third party franchises, yes?

Bioware and EA are both third party, meaning they are not owned by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Humble-Adonis"]I hope so ME2 would be much better without the disk swapping. IronBass

3, you have to switch back to disc one near the end of the game. If i remember correct, its after you hit the Omega-4 relay
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KittenWishes
NO, why do peolpe keep making up stuff about ME coming to the PS3?RTUUMM
because they are desperate to play it and refuse to buy a 360 because they are fanboys. But that brings up another question: What happened to all the Cows supposed monster gaming PC's? hmm?
sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sayonara89
Bioware is making Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and ToR. They are not going to worry making ME1 and ME2 for the PS3.SilentlyMad
They don't have to, other studios will do the porting job (just like with console er. of DA). Mass Effect series is coming to PS3, maybe this year, maybe after ME3...
MizFitAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MizFitAwesome
Member since 2009 • 2745 Posts

[QUOTE="RTUUMM"]NO, why do peolpe keep making up stuff about ME coming to the PS3?KittenWishes
because they are desperate to play it and refuse to buy a 360 because they are fanboys. But that brings up another question: What happened to all the Cows supposed monster gaming PC's? hmm?

I was about to ask the same thing. Cows said they could just play it on there PC's. Now they wish they had it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-63f6895020e66
3, you have to switch back to disc one near the end of the game.djsifer01
:question: You switch from disc 1 to disc 2 near 1/3 of the game. Then from disc 2 to disc 1 before entering the final mission. That's two times.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
why not ?
Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts
[QUOTE="RTUUMM"]NO, why do peolpe keep making up stuff about ME coming to the PS3?KittenWishes

It has nothing to do with 360. Its about wanting the game.
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KittenWishes
[QUOTE="SilentlyMad"]Bioware is making Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and ToR. They are not going to worry making ME1 and ME2 for the PS3.sayonara89
They don't have to, other studios will do the porting job (just like with console er. of DA). Mass Effect series is coming to PS3, maybe this year, maybe after ME3...

Wishful thinking.
sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sayonara89

I played ME1 and 2 on my gaming pc (not monster :(), you don't need 360 to play them.
KittenWishes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KittenWishes
[QUOTE="KittenWishes"][QUOTE="RTUUMM"]NO, why do peolpe keep making up stuff about ME coming to the PS3?Respawn-d

It has nothing to do with 360. Its about wanting the game.

Guess what platform its on O_o