Could Black Ops become the biggest flop of the generation...?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

We've all read about the stuff happening within Activision these days. If you work somewhere like this, where people get stiffed on their bonuses, security guards man the doors, and there is a "hostile atmosphere", are you going to do your best work? Are you going to be motivated to "go the extra mile"? I don't think so.

I think there is a real risk that Black Ops is going to be full of flaws and flop hard as a result.

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts

We've all read about the stuff happening within Activision these days. If you work somewhere like this, where people get stiffed on their bonuses, security guards man the doors, and there is a "hostile atmosphere", are you going to do your best work? Are you going to be motivated to "go the extra mile"? I don't think so.

I think there is a real risk that Black Ops is going to be full of flaws and flop hard as a result.

misiufraggle
The game from a graphical standpoint looks like trash compared to MW2.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Treyarch is sticking it through to the end! Activision and Treyarch are bros on a deeper level than your average bro:P

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
MW2 was the biggest fail last year and they would have to work really hard to top that. I liked World at War much more than MW2 so Treyarch hasnt failed me. Yet.
mysterj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mysterj
Member since 2010 • 928 Posts
Biggest flop was Too Human/Duke Nukem, can't get worse than those.
zbdyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 zbdyx
Member since 2007 • 2055 Posts
For it to flop, it needs a hype thread.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Even if Black Ops got a 1.0 it would sell 10 million+ copies.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
It wont flop. It will still be bought by the millions. Nothing we can do about it
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

It doesn't matter since millions of people will just turn their head as Activision does whatever they want and buy every Call of Duty game that they get thrown at them

ZippySlappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZippySlappy
Member since 2009 • 2664 Posts
I haven't seen a single Black Ops thread since E3. :( Not too much hype around this,eh.
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
wasent lair the biggest flop? digging thru old threads i cant belive people actually hyped this as AAA
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't know why people keep bashing on this game....it looks great.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="adamlovesu"][QUOTE="misiufraggle"]

it will flop to everyone who isnt blind.... if you have eyes and arent stupid you wouldnt support a company such as activision anymore.... whats with some gamers today? afraid of trying new things........ sad really. PEOPLE OPEN UP YOUR MINDS! get moh.

If its a good game, then it deserves to be played...
misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

Ok, so to rephrase my original point: I think due to the allegedly poor working conditions and low morale throughout Activision departments, (I've read even people in Blizzard are unhappy) the games they are making are going to suffer. Black Ops could be a poor game as a result.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Ok, so to rephrase my original point: I think due to the allegedly poor working conditions and low morale throughout Activision departments, (I've read even people in Blizzard are unhappy) the games they are making are going to suffer. Black Ops could be a poor game as a result.

misiufraggle
probably are getting threatened or blackmailed to make it a good game.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts
[QUOTE="tommyas"]MW2 was the biggest fail last year and they would have to work really hard to top that. I liked World at War much more than MW2 so Treyarch hasnt failed me. Yet.

this i played waw on the wii on one sitting and was totally hooked cant say the same for MW2
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#18 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Even if Black Ops got a 1.0 it would sell 10 million+ copies.gamebreakerz__

This pretty much. The reason why people like Kotick can say what they say is because they know that they could even sell 10 million boxed turds for $60 a piece.

And MW2 (and toan extent other CoD installments)showed how easily impressionable some reviewers are, as they always seem to focus on the bombastic presentation instead of the sometimes shallow gameplay.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Treyarch is putting everything they got into it. During WaW's development the studio was working on 3 games at the same time, now all 200+ staff is working solely on Black Ops. Not motivated? Please, they got a chance to finally step out of Infinity Ward's shadow and they are more motivated than ever.

I'm not sure their game will be a masterpiece, but so far it looks far more promising than what IW delivered. Treyarch seems to respect gamers a lot, something I can't exactly say about Infinity Ward

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="misiufraggle"]

ocstew
The game from a graphical standpoint looks like trash compared to MW2.

Lol, that's funny because MW2 is trash compared to CoD4 and even WaW.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I think it will be surprisingly good... considering how low my expectations are after MW2. Any flop would probably be due to Activision, online subscription anyone?
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I think alot of people I know atleast have had enough of COD and are looking forward to MOH and the bad company expansion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
meh... I thought it looked pretty good, better than the other call of duty games; maybe it was just because the e3 demo was in the jungle and the foliage I thought looked really good. I mean it looked interesting but not something I would buy (same with the other games in the series). Anyway, I've played quick bursts of WaW's zombie mode at a friends house; I've never really supported the series. Everyone went crazy for MW2, and now are trying to hide it by saying the series is crap (that's my stand-point on the issue) even videogame critics. I feel like a lot of people who are saying the series is crap are going to buy the game anyway and it's going to get highly praised.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]meh... I thought it looked pretty good, better than the other call of duty games; maybe it was just because the e3 demo was in the jungle and the foliage I thought looked really good. I mean it looked interesting but not something I would buy (same with the other games in the series). Anyway, I've played quick bursts of WaW's zombie mode at a friends house; I've never really supported the series. Everyone went crazy for MW2, and now are trying to hide it by saying the series is crap (that's my stand-point on the issue) even videogame critics. I feel like a lot of people who are saying the series is crap are going to buy the game anyway and it's going to get highly praised.

Eh, most of the people I've heard diss the game don't own it and never wanted it in the first place. I played it on Steam on the free weekend for like 3 hours. That's how I know it sucks.
hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts
I believe that title goes to Haze, LAIR, Socom:Confrontation etc..
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
Well guitar Hero is watering down in sales due to having one too many games, COD will see the same.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts
I don't think it'll have much of an impact on Black Ops. 200 people are working on that game. Had been in development for ~18 months before this whole mess happened. And it didn't happen to them. Whatever IW is working on however...
Clank-PS-Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Clank-PS-Snake
Member since 2010 • 699 Posts
It can't flop because it's not hyped it looked crap.
Avatar image for tehsystemwarior
tehsystemwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tehsystemwarior
Member since 2009 • 1812 Posts
Nope. Treyarch is listening to the community on this one.
Buckledant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Buckledant
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts
Just because you would like it flop doesn't mean it will happen, sorry. While CoD might eventually decline I don't think it will start with this one.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Multiplayer will prolly be crap (as it has been since CoD4), but I've always liked the campaigns and that's all I played with MW2. I didn't like WaW's though so I don't know...
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 would be a bigger flop.

Raiden004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Raiden004
Member since 2009 • 1605 Posts

Its gonna get a 9.0 or 9.1 which is terrible and a humiliation to any gamer out there. :P

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Frankly it already looks more interesting than MW2 and that is a good thing. After playing the MOH beta, I am sorely dissapointed by it.
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tommyas
[QUOTE="farnham"][QUOTE="tommyas"]MW2 was the biggest fail last year and they would have to work really hard to top that. I liked World at War much more than MW2 so Treyarch hasnt failed me. Yet.

this i played waw on the wii on one sitting and was totally hooked cant say the same for MW2

I spent countless hours just in the zombie mode alone. Tbh if it werent for zombie maps, I wouldnt have touched the map packs at all. Multiplayer was much more balanced and more fun than MW2, by a mile. If Treyarch makes Black Ops" multiplayer similar to WaW"s with some tweaks that wont break the experience, add dedicated servers and maybe even zombies, then Im getting it for sure. But I cant trust reviews at all. I just read review at IGN for MW2 and its laughable to say the least.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaltyMeatballs

A flop is only as big as the hype.

I think they will fix multiplayer, also I think it will be like Reach (from what they're hinting). You'll be able to customise your character, not just your weapons. However unlike Halo there is no Red vs Blue so should hopefully each character is more unique that way.

If it's still a glitchfest and full of mega secondary weapons, I'll pass.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tommyas

Gran Turismo 5 would be a bigger flop.

WhenCicadasCry
You have a time machine, right.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Even if it doesn't flop I'm not buying it because if I bought it then that would mean that I would be putting money in Bobby Kotick's pocket, which to me is like the 8th deadly sin. If it turns out to be extremely good and has none of the problems MW2 had (which is unlikely) then I will buy it used or rent it and see for myself.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
Doubt it. Black Ops *looks* sick, and Treyarch has shaped themselves up well. I'm expecting AA at the least.
Avatar image for phoenix-serpent
phoenix-serpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 phoenix-serpent
Member since 2008 • 654 Posts

misiufraggle

Mark my words it will be the next big thing. Kids prefer such things even though it is Mature rated. 3 millions copies minimum sale; mark my words.

Besides i am hyped if the online is good and maps are good. Glitches are ok to a puny extent. Just get noobtoobs to unlock at 1000 kills lol and no overpriced maps!

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
It looks quite bad if you ask me.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

Do I want it to flop because of Activision? Yes

Will it flop? Don't know, do the orioles have a chance at the playoffs?

The game will probably score 8.5 here like the last one. I don't think it would flop and even if it did it would not be the biggest

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

Treyarch is putting everything they got into it. During WaW's development the studio was working on 3 games at the same time, now all 200+ staff is working solely on Black Ops. Not motivated? Please, they got a chance to finally step out of Infinity Ward's shadow and they are more motivated than ever.

I'm not sure their game will be a masterpiece, but so far it looks far more promising than what IW delivered. Treyarch seems to respect gamers a lot, something I can't exactly say about Infinity Ward

AdrianWerner

this. this is treyarch's chance to finally jump over iw. waw was better than mw2, but they will have to deliver more this time. this studio is motivated so i wouldn't be suprised if black ops ends up being the best cod game thus far. and all the people who hate on cod here are going too far imo. the series is what it is. an arcade shooter with a coat of realism(guns, environments etc.), its not the best out there but its fun to pop in and play for an hour.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#44 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Lol, no. It's going to sell millions.
ALTAIR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ALTAIR360
Member since 2006 • 1408 Posts

I don't know why people keep bashing on this game....it looks great.

JangoWuzHere
its cool to bash a populair game u know. someone metioned MW was the biggest flop. well why are still millions of people playing it. some of these guys thinks sw= real life.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
Its made by treyarch which developed the best cod in the series WAW so no i doubt that.
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
I believe that title goes to Haze, LAIR, Socom:Confrontation etc..hd5870corei7
socom wasnt a flop, it just had a terrible start. overall the game was pretty good and has a great community
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="hd5870corei7"]I believe that title goes to Haze, LAIR, Socom:Confrontation etc..RTUUMM
socom wasnt a flop, it just had a terrible start. overall the game was pretty good and has a great community

People paid $60 to play it at the start.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#49 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

It might just get an adverage or good score(8.0-9.0). Personally this might be the only COD game I might not even bother because I'm pretty much done with the COD franchise.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

that title will always be held by lair

and, call me a sheep or a sellout but im getting black ops simply because it looks crazy good

and i'm also getting medal of honor