Consoles are slaves of their tiny hardrives once again?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1848 Posts

Well, it is widely known that PC hardrives are big and provide great performance to satisfy any gaming library, meanwhile console hardrives are tiny and disappointing.

PS5 800GB is just pitiful. Even though PS5 comes with the slogan "It's not about the size but how you use it", lets be honest that's not enough for modern gaming. With subscription services such as Ps plus and Origin Prime or Xbox Live, that's not enough. You will have to install and uninstall games all the time. 1TB is not enough by modern standards. Even with expansion slots, you can take it to 2 TB, but that's still not enough. External drives are not good option as they are expensive and slower than internal drives (the fast ones require a separate power supply too)

Men, my original PS4 can only hold like 3 games at once.

PS5 storage capacity is just a very small jump from the original PS4. Not even mentioning expansion SSD cards will probably go for a premium price and shit.

My PC in change features 8 TB of regular HD and 3TB of SSD. Only investing in that much storage allowed me to play comfortably and take advantage of all subscription services and sales that happen today.

But the problem is consoles, being tiny boxes, do not provide enough internal slots to wield a massive storage drive capacity like PC can.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a huge downfall of the PS5.

almost as bad as PSvita memory cards

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

850 is more than enough for me. If I ever need to expand, the option is there also. No reason to dish out hundreds more at launch for something I don't need yet.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44423 Posts

Eh, it’s fine. They’re working within a budget here to put a product on the market at a reasonable price. Storage space is something that is the most easily upgradable so I’d rather they reduce the budget for that then say on the other more important aspects of the system.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

They have expandable storage so they should be fine.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

My PC has 750GB internal, 3TB external and 6TB external.

PS4 has 1TB internal and 4TB external. My PS5 will use the 4TB external just the same.

If you have a small hard drive or SSD, then that's your problem. Upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

SSD is expensive, my 1TB alone was £197, 2TB is over £300. Seriously, it is a console that has to fit a price point. If people need more then get nickel and dimed by MS proprietary carts or NVMe from Sony.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Telekill said:

PS4 has 1TB internal and 4TB external. My PS5 will use the 4TB external just the same.

you wont be able to play ps5 games with your external. unlike the ps4 and ps3.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@Telekill said:

You can off the NVME expansion.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Ehhhh. I don't use my hard drives as a games dumpster. I delete games when I'm done with them. I have had no issue with the 500gb HDD on the ps4 (other than its craptacular speed), and I've only got about 1TB of games on my pc.

Also I think Cerny made good points about wasted space with "the old way" that can be avoided here with installs on that hardware.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2256 Posts

I kind of agree, one Tb seems awfully small for a next gen hard drive! Personally I think that two Tb would have been the sweet spot between price and convenience!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61525 Posts

Yeah, shame they went so hard on the SSD. I definitely appreciate what it gives us, but for those who only buy digital, the space is gonna suck. Fortunately, I largely buy physical on consoles. I'm going minimum 2TB on an NVMe for my PC.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

2 TB of high speed storage is pretty much the "recommended spec" nowadays. Why do consoles always feel like two steps forward and one and a half steps back?

I don't want to deal with data compression in games. Developers won't bother coding decompression onto Core 8-16 or whatever because the consoles only have 0 through 6 available.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12351 Posts

While I do agree that next gen consoles should have larger drives, how hard is it to delete games you aren't or, don't expect to play any time soon?

There's a huge difference in asking for let's say 2TB vs 11TBs that OP needs to be able to comfortably play games.

Re: PS5, Im pretty sure you'll be able to use your external HDD as cold storage if necessary. The just needs to be on the SSD when you play it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

I can see it being an issue for some, but it's never been more than an occasional inconvenience for me.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@ivangrozny: I think I read that games on the next gen will be smaller due to better compression that will help.

But it doesn’t affect me all that much, I am lucky I have have super fast internet where I live I can just re-download games.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1005 Posts

Tell me how much is the fastest 1TB SSD you can buy right now?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@KBFloYd: Hate to break it to you but the switch and series X aren't much better. Switch might be worse, honestly not sure what how muchs to rage space it has bit my sons is almost full without many games on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

Complain complain complain. 2TB is fine for consoles. I see no issue here. Fact is PC has that memory because it needs more software than consoles do.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@vfighter said:

@KBFloYd: Hate to break it to you but the switch and series X aren't much better. Switch might be worse, honestly not sure what how muchs to rage space it has bit my sons is almost full without many games on it.

Do you buy many of your son's games digitally? Switch storage space is admittedly very small, but if you go with the physical versions then you can get a lot of mileage out of a micro sd card. I've still not maxed out my 256GB just yet.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Thankfully I should be able to use my external for Series X to play the BC titles, should buy me some time to figure out a storage solution for next gen titles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17858 Posts

I wonder would they just have been better off going with a cheaper off the shelf NVME drive (for both camps) rather than this highly customised route. Put some work into the OS side to reduce any overhead as much as possible and just use off the shelf parts. The performance wouldn't be as good as what the PS5 and XSX are currently getting but i think they would be good enough.

I mean what happens if the internal SSD craps out? is it user replaceable? will either system be smart enough to try and boot off an external SSD if the internal one fails?

one thing i love about the PS3 hardware (and i think this is the case with the PS4 also) is if you get HDD failure you can just replace the drive, restore the OS and go on your merry way. No need to send the whole system back or replace the whole thing if it is older. As i understand it you can't do this with the xbox one though correct me if i' wrong.

as for the capacity: with the way games are going in terms of storage requirements no amount was going to satisfy really and certainly nothing that would fit within the budget of a console. If you want more than a few games on your system you will need to factor in an SSD upgrade for both systems at some point during the gen (now is not a great time to look for such an upgrade though).

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Back when I had shit internet, it would have been a problem. But now I can just delete games as needed, and re-download them if I wanna re-play a game.

There's really no reason to keep 50 plus games on your drive at once, with most of them just sitting there doing nothing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@lundy86_4 said:

Yeah, shame they went so hard on the SSD. I definitely appreciate what it gives us, but for those who only buy digital, the space is gonna suck. Fortunately, I largely buy physical on consoles. I'm going minimum 2TB on an NVMe for my PC.

Still too little, perhaps you don't have a problem uninstalling stuff. I do, I replay absolutely everything I buy, might bite the bullet on black friday and get at least 4TB.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@ivangrozny: who plays more than 3 games in the same months span anyway. 1tb is fine as a default

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-642321fb121ca
@osan0 said:

I wonder would they just have been better off going with a cheaper off the shelf NVME drive (for both camps) rather than this highly customised route. Put some work into the OS side to reduce any overhead as much as possible and just use off the shelf parts. The performance wouldn't be as good as what the PS5 and XSX are currently getting but i think they would be good enough.

I mean what happens if the internal SSD craps out? is it user replaceable? will either system be smart enough to try and boot off an external SSD if the internal one fails?

one thing i love about the PS3 hardware (and i think this is the case with the PS4 also) is if you get HDD failure you can just replace the drive, restore the OS and go on your merry way. No need to send the whole system back or replace the whole thing if it is older. As i understand it you can't do this with the xbox one though correct me if i' wrong.

as for the capacity: with the way games are going in terms of storage requirements no amount was going to satisfy really and certainly nothing that would fit within the budget of a console. If you want more than a few games on your system you will need to factor in an SSD upgrade for both systems at some point during the gen (now is not a great time to look for such an upgrade though).

The likelihood of a SSD breaking down is extremely minute.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@KBFloYd:

Yes because the switch has 10TB of storage.🙄

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos

@ivangrozny:

So your PC came with a standard hdd of 8TB and 3TB ssd so how much did you pay for it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@wervenom said:

They have expandable storage so they should be fine.

lmao

@wervenom said:
@KBFloYd said:
@Telekill said:

You can off the NVME expansion.

And how much is that?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zaryia

@Livecommander said:

@ivangrozny: who plays more than 3 games in the same months span anyway. 1tb is fine as a default

Yikes.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

What it really all depends on is how fast installs are with these SSD's Sony and MS are hyping up. If the install times only take a few minutes, then it likely won't be a big deal. If it takes 20-30 minutes, or even longer, this will be a problem.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

I think its enough. For my case, I only buy exclusives on the PS4 and this trend will continue on PS5, while third party games on PC. Any game that I have finished goes to my 4TB external HDD for archiving. With 825GB of onboard SSD in the PS5, I can still keep at least 3-4 games that I'm playing. On PS4 I have a 500GB SSD and I only transfer the game to SSD from my external storage that I intend to play.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@zaryia: yikes ? If 2 or 3 games can't hold you every 4 to 6 months then you aren't truly enjoying and mastering your games.

Duh more space would be good but redownloading and game or 2 every year isn't that bad.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zaryia

@Livecommander said:

@zaryia: yikes ? If 2 or 3 games can't hold you every 4 to 6 months then you aren't truly enjoying and mastering your games.

Duh more space would be good but redownloading and game or 2 every year isn't that bad.

Well I guess console gamers are used to different things due to hardware limitations. On PC i like to play several online and sp games at the same week or month.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#37 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70157 Posts

@zaryia said:

Well I guess console gamers are used to different things due to hardware limitations. On PC i like to play several online and sp games at the same week or month.

What hardware limitations prevents the expansion of storage on consoles?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2148 Posts

Realistically it's not a big deal, unless 5 people are using the same console and each one wants to have 2-3 different games installed at one time.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia

@Pedro said:
@zaryia said:

Nice another cost I can add to crapsoles.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70157 Posts

@zaryia said:
@Pedro said:
@zaryia said:

Nice another cost I can add to crapsoles.

How about answering the question. 😎

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20169 Posts

I buy disks 80% of the time anyway. If I have to make space it doesn't bother me at all. Especially if I don't have the game anymore. Seems like a problem for digital only gamers. I also don't play more than two or three games at a time so console drive sizes aren't a huge deal for me. I have a 1TB PS4 Pro and I've only had to delete games a handful of times. They were almost always PS Plus games I never played.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tormentos

@zaryia:

Storage cost money on PC as well fool.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

Yeah.... I don't really care about the storage size. Just happy they finally went with an SSD.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I'm not sure what to think of this.

Aren't there supposed to be new ways of storing stuff so it's less redundant and smaller for data? There are also expansion options?

200 GB games could be poorly optimized.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Sony makes it very easy to replace the hdd on PlayStation. I had a 1TB hdd on my PS3 and replaced my PS4 hdd right away with a 1.5TB SSD (nothing like the new SSDs). I’m not replacing my PS5 SSD but will get an external hhd for my PS4 games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Do we know how much each game is going to use next gen, or are we assuming each game is going to be 200gb?