Console role reversal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chimpiki
Member since 2004 • 2014 Posts
http://games.ign.com/articles/806/806770p1.html

According to IGN's recent E3 awards, the game awarded with the most innovative design went to LittleBigplanet, a Playstation 3 exclusive, beating out any titles on Nintendo's Wii, which was designed almost exclusively for innovative gameplay. It might also be interesting to note that LittleBigPlanet is a prime example of how a systems technical specifications can have a positive impact on creating innovative game experiences.

In the meantime, the Playstation 3, which was designed to be the most graphically superior of the three, tied the Xbox 360 for the graphics award with a third party multiplatform game.

The Xbox 360, and the Wii, two consoles which are conceivably the best for FPS games, both lost or never received the confirmed PS3 exclusive Unreal Tournament 3.

As for the peripheral award, the Wii, which again was designed to be the perfect machine for peripherals, lost out to a third party developer with the Rock Band drum set.

The best multiplayer experience game is a tie between all three consoles, Rock Band being the game. The Wii, once again, finds itself tied with the other two consoles in a category that its design was meant to take advantage of.

On the other hand, Nintendo is doing well in certain categories that it's supposed to be doing well in. It holds the title of having the best handheld game, and the best platform game in Super Mario Galaxy. As for the Xbox 360, it has the best downloadable only game. And as for Sony's Playstation 3, it's proving to be capable of holding onto third party developers, as well as pulling in some high profile exclusives.

I don't mean to be biased, but if there's one pattern we can see from all of this, it's that Nintendo's whole gimmick has turned out to be just that, a gimmick. The Wiimote has shown what it can do, and while it has some perks about it, it hasn't proven that you NEED it if you want a unique and innovative gameplay experience, great peripherals, and super enjoyable multiplayer experiences. Yes, there are more games coming to the Wii, and yes we haven't seen the system's full potential, but at the same time I can't help but feel that of the three, Nintendo gives you the least bang for your buck.

I'd hate to bring back an old argument, but the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are both more or less futureproof consoles, whereas the Wii is already showing signs of struggle against the graphical and technological superiority of the other two consoles. Keep in mind that it would still be easier for Sony and Microsoft to make new controllers for their current consoles than it would be for Nintendo to beef up the graphics on the Wii.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
LBP is a prime example that wii is not the most innovative thing on the market
dragonlife29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dragonlife29
Member since 2005 • 14543 Posts

Some very good and true points you've made.

However, the Wii could be like the DS when it first started out--thought to be a gimmick by most, doomed to lose to the PSP (predicted, anyway), and really had no games worthy of it becoming a purchase, but we all know how this scenario turned out.

However, I'm not saying that the Wii is going to be like a second DS by means of mass outbreaks of cool games, but it certainly is a possiblity--one I would like to see come to fruition.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its fans as its goal.
Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Svarthek
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its fans as its goal.NobuoMusicMaker

Sorry, but there is no one on this Earth that could convince me that Sony thinks with it's fans as its goal after the temporary price drop fiasco. 
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its fans as its goal.Svarthek

Sorry, but there is no one on this Earth that could convince me that Sony thinks with it's fans as its goal after the temporary price drop fiasco.

How many consoles drop their price in the first year of release though? In my opinion, I can see that Sony is listening to its fans.

The majority are saying drop the price even further though, so I think Sony still has some ground to cover.

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chimpiki

[QUOTE="Svarthek"][QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its fans as its goal.the-very-best

How many consoles drop their price in the first year of release though? In my opinion, I can see that Sony is listening to its fans.

The majority are saying drop the price even further though, so I think Sony still has some ground to cover.

I think Nintendo has delayed their games enough times to prove that they're devoted to some level of perfection. That said, I don't think it's too much to ask that they standardized a few more things in their console. I think if they had done what Microsoft has done in terms of what they put into the console, and made the Wiimote, there would really be nothing to stop them. I don't think I would mind paying a hundred and fifty more for a few extra perks to a Wii. Even with its impressive specs, Microsoft is still making a profit off of each 360 sold, and I'm sure Nintendo, a brand dedicated solely to videogames could find some way to make this possible as well.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#8 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its money as its goal.NobuoMusicMaker

I fixed your statement.

suckypc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 suckypc-ps360
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts

Nintendo thinks with money as a goal, Sony thinks with its fans as its goal.NobuoMusicMaker

wow congrats! lets all give nobou a cookie caz hes the chairman of Sony!! whoooo!

OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts
LBP looks like a cheap sidescroller ripoff of spore. and UT3 is a time exclusive to PS3. even though its gonna suck on consoles. UT3 is a PC shooter.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Well, that's certainly an interesting turn of events. Those are good points there, tc.

That's just hilarious.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
I like how IGN goes around deciding which games are the best before actually playing them.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

I like how IGN goes around deciding which games are the best before actually playing them.hamstergeddon

Well, most of them had some sort of demo, even if it was hands off. Aside from that, E3 "best of" does not mean the best in the same sense a review would call it. We all know they're works in progress, and that the "best" tag is about their showing, potential and proven concept.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
So where exactly are all the titles like LBP? If it is truly "innovative" then Sony would be making developers make more games like it.
Logic_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Logic_101
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
This is all being based off of an E3 where you can make the argument that all of the companies really didn't show off alot of what they're working on. To say that after this E3 shows how Microsoft and Sony are future proof is a bit presumptious. Do you really think Sony can continue on their 10yr plan at this current rate. They are already losing tons of money, and even more important market share. Microsoft's only problem I can see, is that based on sales really didn't take advantage of the year head start. Which unfortunate for them reflects on their slim lead in market share. Nintendo did a pretty shoddy job in the game department this E3 but they were focusing the meeting toward the general public, which is where the money is. To base how innovative they are or aren't on three days is a bit ridiculous.
Fyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fyper
Member since 2007 • 495 Posts

Who ever thought the Wii was innovative anyway? It's just a new and extremely annoying type of analog stick control if you think about it. Games make innovation. Not hardware.

I'd like to see the Wii outdo Portal for example, in innovation. Which, the Wii isn't getting BTW.

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chimpiki

[QUOTE="hamstergeddon"]I like how IGN goes around deciding which games are the best before actually playing them.Grive

Well, most of them had some sort of demo, even if it was hands off. Aside from that, E3 "best of" does not mean the best in the same sense a review would call it. We all know they're works in progress, and that the "best" tag is about their showing, potential and proven concept.

Very true, but I hope you both still see my point. Even though it's based on first impressions and how well each game showed at E3, it shouldn't even be up for debate which console has the best games in these particular categories. Nintendo completely rejected the graphics race in place of the Wiimote and offering the possibility of a wide array of exclusive peripherals, all for the sake of innovative gameplay. And yet, the consoles that went in the other direction are getting their fair share of very interesting peripherals and unique games, both of which happen to be getting even more attention than Nintendo's first party developments.
chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chimpiki
This is all being based off of an E3 where you can make the argument that all of the companies really didn't show off alot of what they're working on. To say that after this E3 shows how Microsoft and Sony are future proof is a bit presumptious. Do you really think Sony can continue on their 10yr plan at this current rate. They are already losing tons of money, and even more important market share. Microsoft's only problem I can see, is that based on sales really didn't take advantage of the year head start. Which unfortunate for them reflects on their slim lead in market share. Nintendo did a pretty shoddy job in the game department this E3 but they were focusing the meeting toward the general public, which is where the money is. To base how innovative they are or aren't on three days is a bit ridiculous. Logic_101
Sony's ten year plan was ridiculous to begin with, and I don't think anybody bought it. And it's true, to start off they're losing tons of money and a lot of market share. As far as sales are going right now, though, I don't think the Wii, launching at a price lower than the PS2 seven years ago, is doing anywhere near as well as the aforementioned console. And I see where you're coming from about basing all this on three days, but the announcements made about the Rock Band peripheral and the Wii fit are both new, and we can see that in general, people are more excited for Rock Band.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Which will sell more do you think? LBP or Wii Fit? Just a question for all of you.
Logic_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Logic_101
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Logic_101"]This is all being based off of an E3 where you can make the argument that all of the companies really didn't show off alot of what they're working on. To say that after this E3 shows how Microsoft and Sony are future proof is a bit presumptious. Do you really think Sony can continue on their 10yr plan at this current rate. They are already losing tons of money, and even more important market share. Microsoft's only problem I can see, is that based on sales really didn't take advantage of the year head start. Which unfortunate for them reflects on their slim lead in market share. Nintendo did a pretty shoddy job in the game department this E3 but they were focusing the meeting toward the general public, which is where the money is. To base how innovative they are or aren't on three days is a bit ridiculous. chimpiki
Sony's ten year plan was ridiculous to begin with, and I don't think anybody bought it. And it's true, to start off they're losing tons of money and a lot of market share. As far as sales are going right now, though, I don't think the Wii, launching at a price lower than the PS2 seven years ago, is doing anywhere near as well as the aforementioned console. And I see where you're coming from about basing all this on three days, but the announcements made about the Rock Band peripheral and the Wii fit are both new, and we can see that in general, people are more excited for Rock Band.

I would agree with you in regards to more people are more excited about Rock Band, but for the most part on gaming sites. If you look at news sites such as USA Today and plenty of other sites like that, they are declaring WiiFit the most have peripheral. So on gaming sites Rock Band may have the edge, but to the general consumer which we can make the argument that Nintendo was focusing on this E3 they want the Nintendo product. Also judging by sales there seems to be more general consumers buying gaming products then even the hardcore.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

Every company on Earth is focused on money. Sony is one of the prime examples of that.