console pricing vs standard of living in your country

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9040 posts) -

Hello,

I intend this thread to be an international survey, gathering information such as:

a) where do you live

b) what is the average net income in your country (I propose converting it to US dollars to standardize everything)

c) what is the price of PS4 and Xbox One in your country

d) how many hours, using the minimum wage as reference point, do you have to work to earn a this-gen console

Of course, try to do a little bit of educated research and be accurate with the info.

Ok, I'll start with myself

a) Poland

b) 842 US dollars - and the most pathetic thing is, only 30% of society earns on this level, in reality in most places, it's around 533 US dollars in smaller towns and maybe bit below 700 US dollars in bigger cities

c) Currently something around 560 US dollars for PS4 and 700 US dollars for Xbox One

d) the minimum wage is 2,6 US dollars per hour so that amounts to 215 hours for PS4 and 269 hours for Xbox One

To sum up, Poland is a truly third-world country where everything is overpriced and costs at least as much as in the West, and the wages are 4 times less than there as well, take a look at this chart, it deals with how many hours one have to work using average net income to earn money for a new console game:

#2 Posted by jhcho2 (4427 posts) -

I think there's no need to make such a comparison. It's gonna be pretty obvious that the ones living in countries with lower exchange rates will suffer the most. I'm aware that the conversion isn't always linear as can be evidence by PS4 in Europe being 350 Euros despite the Euro being quite a bit stronger than the US dollar.

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9040 posts) -

It's not about conversion rates at all! I mean they're bound to be horrible. But it's about being just curious how much do you have to work to afford a new gen console in other countries. Xbox One isn't officially in Poland anyway, it is an imported price, but I just hope when it hit the shelves it will be around 500 US dollars as the USA will most likely have a price cut by then and there's no reason to not even price it at its original price. I'm talking about mid-2014 of course, still no known release date.

#4 Edited by adamosmaki (9656 posts) -

well its 400 euros here and the standard of living is about in the middle of EU. Average guy/gal at 30years old here get payed between 800-1000euros a month so Ps4 and any console or electronic for what it matters and game prices ( for consoles ) are quite expensive

#5 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

Xbox One - $500
PS4 - $400

I live in the US and I make ~42,000 a year everything included which is in the neighborhood of average US income.

#6 Edited by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

@adamosmaki said:

well its 400 euros here and the standard of living is about in the middle of EU. Average guy/gal at 30years old here get payed between 800-1000euros a month so Ps4 and any console or electronic for what it matters and game prices ( for consoles ) are quite expensive

Can I ask where you live in Europe ?

#7 Posted by adamosmaki (9656 posts) -

@Sagem28 said:

@adamosmaki said:

well its 400 euros here and the standard of living is about in the middle of EU. Average guy/gal at 30years old here get payed between 800-1000euros a month so Ps4 and any console or electronic for what it matters and game prices ( for consoles ) are quite expensive

Can I ask where you live in Europe ?

Cyprus

#8 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9040 posts) -

@adamosmaki said:

@Sagem28 said:

@adamosmaki said:

well its 400 euros here and the standard of living is about in the middle of EU. Average guy/gal at 30years old here get payed between 800-1000euros a month so Ps4 and any console or electronic for what it matters and game prices ( for consoles ) are quite expensive

Can I ask where you live in Europe ?

Cyprus

It's not so bad there from what I recon. Your football and wages are better than the Polish ones :D

#9 Posted by adamosmaki (9656 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@adamosmaki said:

@Sagem28 said:

@adamosmaki said:

well its 400 euros here and the standard of living is about in the middle of EU. Average guy/gal at 30years old here get payed between 800-1000euros a month so Ps4 and any console or electronic for what it matters and game prices ( for consoles ) are quite expensive

Can I ask where you live in Europe ?

Cyprus

It's not so bad there from what I recon. Your football and wages are better than the Polish ones :D

Well bad is not but is not great either. Wages are still decent but mind you due to economic crisis and everything wages and standard of living the last 2-3 years unfortunately are free falling. At least you guys from what i reckon you have positive growth on economy the last few years and seems to continue like that ( Btw we had alot of Poles working here but lately alot seem to have moved back to Poland or other countries )

#10 Edited by KungfuKitten (21142 posts) -

Console prices should include taxes of course.
And do you include the non working people when calculating the average net income?

A) Netherlands
B) Including jobless people it's e23,000 bruto per year. That is about e15,400 netto. $20,964, or
$1747 per month.
That seems way too high but I guess it looks good on paper.
C) 400 and 500 euro.
PS4 $545 and
X1 $680.
D) Minimum wage is officially like 1,200 per month but keep in mind that three quarters of the minimum wage is more prevalent. So, 900 which is what I earn.
PS4 about 71 hours.
X1
about 89 hours.

BTW if you're doing this because you think about working temporarily in another country to buy a console I have to warn you that in my country minimum wages do not apply to foreigners and they tend to earn about a third of the minimum wage. I know that is crazy but that's how they do it. So that would be about 400 per month for 40 hours per week.
It would take you 160 hours for a PS4 / 200 hours for a X1.

Oops I had a miscalculation because you don't work every day of course :P

#11 Edited by KungfuKitten (21142 posts) -

Oh and keep in mind this does not include costs of living. So of course in reality you always work longer for your consoles than what everybody is writing here.

#12 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

England

Minimum wage anyone over 20: 10$

Cost of a PS4: 577$

Cost of XB1: 708$

Cost of new game: 90$

So it would take 9 hours to buy each game, your chart is thus wrong. In fact the chart is totally wrong, as it assumes that games are 55$ for every Country.

It would take 58 hours to buy a PS4 and 71 hours to buy an XB1.

#13 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

All I know is console pricing is too high for me, so I gotta stick to PC gaming.

#14 Posted by Netret0120 (2208 posts) -

Any console that costs more than $500/€500 should not be bought.

It costs €399.99 in Austria. Will get mine when more games come out and i feel the need to upgrade. Uncharted 4/GTA6 and MGS5 would make me upgrade

#15 Edited by superbuuman (2906 posts) -

eh its simple The World Police usually/if not always gets their stuff cheaper..even when their USD is weaker. :p