mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Recently, I watched a three-part take on Dead Space series, and it got me curious to see what's the consensus on it here at System Wars.

Haven't played the first one, but enjoyed playing the second entry and man what a forgettable and underwhelming experience the third one was, losing the identity of the series with a desperate attempt at catering to a wider audience.

Besides that, I have two more questions:

How do you think the first game stacks up against Resident Evil 4?

And, would you like a reboot adhering to the roots of the series?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

I loved the first two games, and then I have not played any of the others.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Nah. Just leave it.

It had its run.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Meh. I beat the first game in one long session, which usually means I like a game, but I was honestly just sold on the spectacle and gore. Couldn't even push myself through the second game. Never played any beyond that.

@mjorh said:

How do you think the first game stacks up against Resident Evil 4?

Not even in the same ballpark man. I get why comparisons are made, though they're completely superficial.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I loved all of them, the last one is not the best at survival horror like the previous two, but it has co op and some amazing space missions.

Avatar image for deactivated-592eb1f2b4367
deactivated-592eb1f2b4367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-592eb1f2b4367
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Meh.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

Dead Space 1 was an amazing game, I thought. It didn't have quite the impact RE4 did for me, but it was awesome. Since Resident Evil started to suck after 4, I thought Dead Space was the new series to take its place. I was wrong, as Dead Space 2 was a bit dissapointing with the following 3rd game that just plain sucked.

So DS1 - amazing game which I recommend. The other ones can be ignored.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjorh

I didn't expect this much of "meh" lol

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

You really should play the first one, OP. It sorta lost its steam in the later entries. Dead Space 1 is one of the best horror games in my opinion. Up there with Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Resident Evil 4, Alien: Isolation, SOMA.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I loved all 3 parts.

I played the 3rd part in co-op which was awesome.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

@mjorh said:

Can't speak of the other guys, but that's basically my way of saying "not bad, but nothing remarkable". Average.

I had a good enough time with the game, but quickly forgot about it and moved on to the next thing.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I played DS2 first. I loved it and beat it 3 times in like a month.

I enjoyed the first as well, although I'd probably say 2 is better.

I recently started playing the 3rd one and stopped a couple hours in, I'm waiting to play it in co-op with a friend. I kinda agree with "losing the identity of the series with a desperate attempt at catering to a wider audience"

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjorh

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mjorh said:

Can't speak of the other guys, but that's basically my way of saying "not bad, but nothing remarkable". Average.

I had a good enough time with the game, but quickly forgot about it and moved on to the next thing.

Same here, "Average" is what I interpret from "meh"

@k--m--k said:

I loved all 3 parts.

I played the 3rd part in co-op which was awesome.

Played it in co-op mode but even with a friend the game didn't capture my interest.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mjorh said:

Same, like a 5 or a 6 for that first game. It's got an exceptional presentation, but the brand of horror it is happens to be more startle happy than all that impressive in terms of tension, and the action combat is formulaic to a fault. And no amount of "but it's a horror game" would make the action less engaging. Resident Evil Remake's action are a product of tank controls, but it's tense all the way through and positioning plays more of a roll in those games. Resident Evil 4 combat mechanics have more depth and the game all around has more variety than entire franchises. In fact RE5's mechanics have more depth.

They don't go nearly as far with the limb dismemberment thing (Binary Domain does cooler things with how the robots behavior changes depending on what you shoot off, albeit that game had 5 years of hindsight to make good on that mechanic), the bosses aren't satisfying, the basic navigation hints at this Metroid like back n forth, but again, even that aspect of the game is just rigid. The narrative stuff is shit, but I mean come on, and that stupid asteroid part is boredom fuel.

It had a lot of neat systems in a vacuum, and whatever conceptually it's pretty derivative, it just didn't come together to make a strong, consistent core. But sure everything that game does from a presentation standpoint: From the audio, to how menus are handled, to how your health is presented, to the atmosphere is all ace. But, the gameplay is at best aight.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

I need to go play it. I tried way back before I had a good PC and quit in the first 5 min because it didn't run well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56252 Posts

@mjorh: I love the first Dead Space, it brings out the immersion. Issac doesn't talk in the first game which made it good, browsing through the ship was fun for it's time, the mining weapons were all good but I pretty much stick to the Plasma Cutter as my one weapon through the game and it was like my only weapon to survive. Dead Space 2 is good but having Issac talk kinda ruins it but still, a solid game and less scary then the first one. Having playing Dead Space 3 on PC last month, it was okay but until you get to the Ice Planet, it all falls apart and it's why the series is in hiatus due to low sells and wasn't as good as the other 2 Dead Space.

Dead Space: Extraction on Wii was god awful.

Edit: I also own the 2 Dead Space Anime mini movies.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

I loved all three games. I still don't get the hate for the 3rd installment. I think people just hate on anything nowadays.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@ivangrozny: Taking a guess here, but I think people hated 3 for having way less scares/being more of an action game, having co-op ruining the horror experience the first and the second provided, and the microtransactions than "just hating on anything nowadays"

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Dead Space: Excellent horror game. Creepy atmosphere, phenomenal sound design, voice acting and ambient tech. The game was also very immersive.

Dead Space 2: Excellent horror game but not as creepy as the first one since main protagonist was voice acted which broke immersion a little bit. Sure I like Issac's character in DS2 and voice acting had its own benefits but it also gave you this feeling that you are controlling someone else instead of being there yourself.

Dead Space 3: Terrible start. I stopped playing it for a week and was so disappointed to see action focused opening moments of the game. Few days later I started hearing that the game gets better later on. So, I continued the game from where I left and kept playing it. After few hours it started to get better. Then later it really became a Dead Space game. I enjoyed rest of the game after first few boring hours. A great game I'd say.

Overall, a great trilogy. All of them are well optimized as well and run at silky smooth frame rates even on a potato despite looking great.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Dead Space 3: Terrible start. I stopped playing it for a week and was so disappointed to see action focused opening moments of the game. Few days later I started hearing that the game gets better later on. So, I continued the game from where I left and kept playing it. After few hours it started to get better. Then later it really became a Dead Space game. I enjoyed rest of the game after first few boring hours. A great game I'd say.

For reals? I might have been too quick to judge then. I only played for a few hours (iunno, 4 or 5) and thought that was what the game would be like. Maybe I should go back and try it out again..

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Its one of my favorite series, 2nd one is my favorite, closely followed by first. Good psychological thriller, these types of games on space stations and spaceships are some of my favorites. Gameplay is fun, always loved putting on a new suit, loved their designs. Atmosphere and story is awesome and I watched the web series and 2 movies they came out with. I like the lore of the series. The games could have used better character development, but overall I was quite satisfied.

Unfortunately the chances of seeing Dead Space 4 are slim, but I'm happy we have Prey as there are some similarities especially in the setting.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Definitely check out the first Dead Space. If you combined Ridley Scott's Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing, Dead Space would be the result.

I personally don't want a re-boot of the series since the third game ended on a cliffhanger.

I honestly find the first Dead Space to be more enjoyable than Resident Evil 4. Both are excellent games, but I found Dead Space's setting and premise is more immersive than the one presented in Resident Evil 4.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_imperium

@Litchie said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

For reals? I might have been too quick to judge then. I only played for a few hours (iunno, 4 or 5) and thought that was what the game would be like. Maybe I should go back and try it out again..

Once you get on ice planet, the game gets better IMO.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Dead Space: One of my favorite games from last gen. Absolutely tense and creepy. Fun missions. Dismembering of limbs added a bit of strategy to the combat. Amazing audio and visual design. Great sense of isolation and atmosphere. I was also interested in where the story would go, and interested in the lore. Far more memorable than the others.

Dead Space 2: I didn't like it when I first played it. I was so disappointed it went more of the action route than the tense atmospheric and creeps of the first. But I came back a few months later, accepted it for what it was, and came to realize it was a decent action game. I'll just say it was good. I lost interest in the story and lore with this installment though.

Dead Space 3: Never beat it, only played 3 or 4 hours. Would like to go back and play through it in single player, and co op. I don't remember much about the game to be honest. I remember it's on an ice planet lol.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_imperium

@Alucard_Prime said:

Its one of my favorite series, 2nd one is my favorite, closely followed by first. Good psychological thriller, these types of games on space stations and spaceships are some of my favorites. Gameplay is fun, always loved putting on a new suit, loved their designs. Atmosphere and story is awesome and I watched the web series and 2 movies they came out with. I like the lore of the series. The games could have used better character development, but overall I was quite satisfied.

Unfortunately the chances of seeing Dead Space 4 are slim, but I'm happy we have Prey as there are some similarities especially in the setting.

Both Prey and Dead Space started as System Shock 3. Both devs failed to acquire the right to the System Shock franchise, so they turned them into different games while keeping some of the features intact. Hence the similarities between Prey and Dead Space.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I uninstalled it after playing 10 minutes

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Didn't enjoy it. Not my cup of tea.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I would not consider Deadspace as a very good horror game.. It has horror elements, but the game throws everything to expect within the first two hours.. And after that there really isn't anything new or dangerous to cause actual fear.. Especially with how powerful you get.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I have known no fear like being 5 or so hours from my last save file in the hardcore run during the final 3rd of that game.

Quasinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Quasinator
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Dead space 1 and 2 were one of my favorite games of last generation. 3 was ok but not as good as the first 2

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

1&2 were good but the last one was shite.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Re4 obliterates Dead Space

Dead Space was 1 was great. Its like Alien

Dead Space 2 was great as well. Like Aliens

Dead Space 3 was garbage

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61513 Posts

Eh, it was alright. First was decent, and the second one was okay. The third was just garbage.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

I love the first Dead Space. I wasn't expecting much (EA), even with the awesome reviews. I was still pleasantly surprised. It was one of the first games I platinumed on PS3.
I understand why people compare it to Resident Evil 4 but c'mon.
I didn't get that far into Dead Space 2. I must have gotten bored and a combination of life shit. I can't remember. I think I'll return to them eventually.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Dead space was an epic surprise to me. Original game had everything i was asking for.

Amazing atmosphere , scarejumps , twisted Story and characters/monsters , great way to kill things , nice graphics and sound design , not too difficult but not to easy at the same time.

It was one of my favorite horror games last generation , if not the best.

Dead Space 2 was great also , nothing wrong with it though i prefered Original for a reason. Dead Space 3 on the other hand wasnt that good. I didnt like that too much.

Now you asking how it stacks up to a really bad shooter with fundamentally wrong gameplay mechanics ? Lets not speak about it. Resident Evil 4 was all about graphics and some level design for its time , nothing else. And for the record i played it day 1 on Gamecube , had the same opinion back then also.

To me , the most overated game of all time and the start of downfall for the series.. My opinion that is . If i had to choose one of the two as an action/horror third person shooter , Dead Space 1 all the way.

David719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By David719
Member since 2007 • 2187 Posts

I completely agree with champ. I love the presentation and atmosphere, but the games themselves were actually kinda derivative. The dismemberment system was a neat idea, but it rarely amounted to anything interesting in execution.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

The first two are great, the third one was crap.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

I loved the first game, it plays like RE4 except having the added benefit doing dual analog controls right. The second game enhanced the story aspect greatly. My only gripe was that my favorite weapon from the first was the Ripper, I hated the new design of it here, blade didn't hover out as far and aimed high like a pistol instead of under-arm and low where it was perfect for sawing off limbs. Third game was great too, not nearly as good as DS2 but people over-reacted to small things like human enemies and presence of a cover system. The crafting system was also an early turn-off but great once I got the hang of it. I wish my friends would have picked it up to try the co-op stages together.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#40 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts

I liked all 3. They didn't blow my socks off or anything though. They are good fun while they last.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44332 Posts

I really liked the games myself. First one was great. Second one was really good but had a couple of flawed spots. While the third one was probably the weakest of the three I thought that it was still a good game and not nearly as bad as some made it out to be. Wouldn't mind seeing a fourth game somewhere down the road or even some current gen remasters of the trilogy.

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

Haven't played 3 yet but absolutely loved the first two.

But it's meant to be played at night with the lights out and the surround turned up to get the full experience.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#43  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

Dead Space is one of my favorite series. Definitely one of the best new IPs of last gen. I didn't mind the third one as I like Gears of War a lot too. I couldn't get over the shit shooting mechanics of RE4, so I did not play through it. I would love a reboot of Dead Space with a strong focus on atmosphere.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I like the game ..completed both 1 & 2...& finally got around to buy 3 but haven't play it. :P The controls was kinda screwy on the normal controller? on PC...so played it with keyboard and mouse.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mjorh

Hmm, interesting, impressions are mixed.

Gotta give the first game a shot

@David719 said:

I completely agree with champ. I love the presentation and atmosphere, but the games themselves were actually kinda derivative. The dismemberment system was a neat idea, but it rarely amounted to anything interesting in execution.

Yeah that was really cool

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Dead space 1+2 were my favorite games from last gen. I genuinely enjoyed them immensely. 3 was shockingly disappointing. I hope 4 (if there ever is another one) goes back to its roots, like RES7 did

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59108 Posts

Resident Evil 4 has wink-wink humor, practically every character is likeable. It knows what it is, B-movie garbage and is more than happy to revel in it.

Dead Space rips off a host of sources, Event Horizon, Aliens, The Thing, System Shock and obviously Resident Evil 4, it ends up a diluted, bland soup devoid of character.

Dead Space control's and boss battles tend to be significantly better than Resident Evil 4's. mechanically Resident Evil 4 is quite broken, exploited with minimal effort. For general gameplay though, Dead Space is far too reliant on jump scares, it's practically it's only Donald card.

Regardless of difficulty, you become simply far too overpowered through an abundance of resource drops and (albeit optional) upgrades, which 99.99% of people will use.

Resident Evil 4's game-play has far more variation, from the opening village to the final helicopter overhead, it provides larger sandbox's with more game-play opportunities and enemies and weapons that incrementally change through the campaign to keep you interested, provided you don't just stun-kick over and over, which you probably will do.

Resident Evil 4 also suffers from being too easy when you learn how things operate. It apparently uses a resource system that reflects the players situation, but if you can headshot/kick/slash practically every enemy in the game with ease, it doesn't particularly mean much.

The main impressive aspect of Dead Space is it's sound design, even when you are doing practically nothing, it sits in the background doing a better job of creating tension than the gameplay itself. Whoever done that deserves some sort of well done you award.

I certainly wouldn't put it next to the likes of System Shock 2, IGN will claim "OHHH DA BEST HORROR EVERRRR!!!!!!!!", but these people are disgusting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

I need to go play it. I tried way back before I had a good PC and quit in the first 5 min because it didn't run well.

Dead Space just doesn't run very well on PC in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

At one point I was obsessed with the lore. Then Dead Space 3 happened.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

****** loved the first one, haven't played the 2nd one and while I have the 3rd I've never finished it. RE needs to do what Dead Space 1 did.