Confirmed: MS retracts Xbox One DRM and Internet Policies (Keep it here)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2651 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Too Soon? (24 second video)

SolidTy

They always forget Ty, they always fvcking forget. They think MS was listening to their tweets, but instead were listening to their pre orders.

It may be a year from now or 2 years from or on a new generation swept clean, MS will go back to thinking that they can dictate what we do with our property.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2652 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]Clearly they are lying https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9-GngA9tY Points out it's something you have to download to the system, the DRM is still there. I believed in them and was lied to. They will try to sneak it in.CaseyWegner

what makes you think that?

You do realize patches don't remove things, they "fix" things right? The DRM is still in the machine.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2653 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"]

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Yo fools, just pre-ordered a Xbox One, cant wait for Forza and Dead Rising 3:oops:

Oh cool we can play without internet now?

Wiiyou

..between that KI3, and Titan Fall I certainly wanted a One more so than a PS4. But I just can't get by the price and overall arrogance of M$. I have a Ps4 on reserve, I may just wait until Halo 5 hits and pick one up..

Most games will be multiplat and i like Xbox exclusives more and what i seen Xbox Live is much better than PSN. It is much easier to browse games at Xbox Live UI.

..that's one of the reasons I'll stick with the PS4 for a while.. I know there will be another tekken, Virtua Fighter, GT.. ect.. ect.. and they All will be multiplat. It just sucks that Sony adopted M$ pay to play online infrastructure.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2654 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Long live the people.
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2655 Wiiyou
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"] ..between that KI3, and Titan Fall I certainly wanted a One more so than a PS4. But I just can't get by the price and overall arrogance of M$. I have a Ps4 on reserve, I may just wait until Halo 5 hits and pick one up..

OhSnapitz

Most games will be multiplat and i like Xbox exclusives more and what i seen Xbox Live is much better than PSN. It is much easier to browse games at Xbox Live UI.

..that's one of the reasons I'll stick with the PS4 for a while.. I know there will be another tekken, Virtua Fighter, GT.. ect.. ect.. and they All will be multiplat. It just sucks that Sony adopted M$ pay to play online infrastructure.

It cost money to have a good online service, servers is not free to run. It is good we have to pay for online imo, hopefully psn get better:)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2656 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

It is good we have to pay for online imo:)

Wiiyou
fvcking ridiculous statement
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2657 Wiiyou

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Jandurin

Online is not free, some1 have to pay for it...:|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2658 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
well i'm glad it's you paying for it and not me
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2659 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Jandurin

02.jpg

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2660 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

Wiiyou

Yeah that's why people pay for it to their internet service provider. Oh you mean the online for a game? Well the developer who coded the online portion of the game gets paid by you when you buy the game. I can't believe m$ managed to convince people that they're providing the internet service... Sigh... My faith in humanity decreases with each passing day.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2661 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] fvcking ridiculous statementkuraimen

Yeah that's why people pay for it to their internet service provider. Oh you mean the online for a game? Well the developer who coded the online portion of the game gets paid by you when you buy the game. I can't believe m$ managed to convince people that they're providing the internet service... Sigh... My faith in humanity decreases with each passing day.

You mean Sony, Xbox fans were paying for online since Xbox 1st. They already knew they were paying, Sony is the only one were you can say they "convinced" people because all of a sudden what SOony is doing is good and people should support paying for PSN mp.
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2662 Wiiyou

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"] fvcking ridiculous statementkuraimen

It is a reason why Xbox Live has been better than PSN, go figure...let see how next gen turn out:|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2663 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

It is a reason why Xbox Live has been better than PSN, go figure...let see how next gen turn out:|

Wiiyou
microsoft has ALWAYS been better at software programming than sony
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2664 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

NationProtector

You mean Sony, Xbox fans were paying for online since Xbox 1st. They already knew they were paying, Sony is the only one were you can say they "convinced" people because all of a sudden what SOony is doing is good and people should support paying for PSN mp.

M$ was the one who turned it into a common practice by luring gullible lems. Lems had the choice to choose the ps3 and not get ripped off but they made that rip off a success now Sony follows through and there's not much choice. Although I won't buy a ps4 because of that at least until they release another cheaper iteration of the machine since first iterations are made to break. Granted I already pay for PS+ so I would get online play automatically if I bought the ps4 but even so I consider it a rip off that the put online connection behind a pay wall and we mostly have m$ and lems to thank for changing the industry for the worse.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2665 kuraimen

Wiiyou

What better? I consider that trying to justify the rip off. I don't consider party chat better. P2p connections are the same fee or not fee and that's what matters for gamers that you can connect to play with others and those services are provided by your ISP and the guys who coded the game no one else. If m$ wanted to charge for the extra services like party chat then OK do it but don't pretend that you're doing a service by taking the p2p connections used to play hostage. That's simply a rip off.
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2666 Wiiyou

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] Yeah that's why people pay for it to their internet service provider. Oh you mean the online for a game? Well the developer who coded the online portion of the game gets paid by you when you buy the game. I can't believe m$ managed to convince people that they're providing the internet service... Sigh... My faith in humanity decreases with each passing day.kuraimen

What better? I consider that trying to justify the rip off. I don't consider party chat better. P2p connections are the same fee or not fee and that's what matters for gamers that you can connect to play with others and those services are provided by your ISP and the guys who coded the game no one else. If m$ wanted to charge for the extra services like party chat then OK do it but don't pretend that you're doing a service by taking the p2p connections used to play hostage. That's simply a rip off.

If it was p2p connection how can EA, Sony, etc shut down servers for games with few players then?

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2667 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Not that it matters now, but rumor has it that the original game sharing plan wasn't going to be as great as MS made it out to be.

*waits for neogaf bashing :P *

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2668 kuraimen

Wiiyou

If it was p2p connection how can EA, Sony, etc shut down servers for games with few players then?

Only a few games this gen had dedicated servers the majority were Sony exclusives. Dedicated servers had been used for a long time on pc for free before p2p connections became the norm. Companies now mostly provide services like leaderboards but that's hardly a dedicated server. And if EA uses a dedicated server for a game and wants to charge for it OK but why the hell should we pay m$ for it when is freaking ea who is providing it??
Wiiyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2669 Wiiyou

[QUOTE="Wiiyou"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] What better? I consider that trying to justify the rip off. I don't consider party chat better. P2p connections are the same fee or not fee and that's what matters for gamers that you can connect to play with others and those services are provided by your ISP and the guys who coded the game no one else. If m$ wanted to charge for the extra services like party chat then OK do it but don't pretend that you're doing a service by taking the p2p connections used to play hostage. That's simply a rip off.kuraimen

Only a few games this gen had dedicated servers the majority were Sony exclusives. Dedicated servers had been used for a long time on pc for free before p2p connections became the norm. Companies now mostly provide services like leaderboards but that's hardly a dedicated server. And if EA uses a dedicated server for a game and wants to charge for it OK but why the hell should we pay m$ for it when is freaking ea who is providing it??

It easier for the consumer/gamer to just pay MS and let them handle it, than let you put up subscribtion for every different publisher/developer....

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2670 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Zaibach

They always forget Ty, they always fvcking forget. They think MS was listening to their tweets, but instead were listening to their pre orders.

It may be a year from now or 2 years from or on a new generation swept clean, MS will go back to thinking that they can dictate what we do with our property.

True

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2671 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Not that it matters now, but rumor has it that the original game sharing plan wasn't going to be as great as MS made it out to be.

catfishmoon23
I just came here to post that. Damn you beat me to it.
robybaggio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2672 robybaggio
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts

[QUOTE="robybaggio"]

Let me guess this right, they retracted on DRM but...

I'm still led to believe that both Xbox One and PS4 can not play Xbox 360 and PS3 games respectively, correct? 

Jandurin

correct

But saw many arguing this:

'I spent money on Xbox 360 games and now I can't play them because of DRM. I'm not going to buy all those games again, it's thousands of dollars. I may now get an Xbox One since MS has retracted DRM.'

People actually think that they can still play their old 360 and PS3 games. This was really the issue.

DRM didn't actually mean you couldn't trade or share your games, it just meant that you had to a online verification when buying, selling, trading or sharing. And it was more easier and seamless than hulking around physical copies.

And the whole argument of forcing DRM on physical makes no sense. There is no difference, the coding on the disc is still digital. If you download it without purchasing a disc, it still has to sit on the HDD. Same thing.

And the feature of not having to swap discs for each game is now gone. 

Gee Sony is poo.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2673 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

cad-20130621-d976d.png.

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2674 dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Will M$ guarantee that they will NOT GO BACK TO THEIR FIRST POLICIES? :shock:

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2675 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
MS is so annoying. Why can't they just come up with a plan and stick to it? Just when I'm going to credit MS for its neat family plan feature, they turn around and take it away from the community. Surely they can have multiple solutions to cater for the different consumers? But it's down right ugly to promise something you cannot deliver.
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2676 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

MS is so annoying. Why can't they just come up with a plan and stick to it? Just when I'm going to credit MS for its neat family plan feature, they turn around and take it away from the community. Surely they can have multiple solutions to cater for the different consumers? But it's down right ugly to promise something you cannot deliver.hoplayletsplay

You know that plan never really existed right?

Think of the copyright nightmare that goes along with such a program....

No really!....stop a second and think about it.

MS wasn't going to let you sell your game or give it to a friend at first but they gonna let groups of 10 buy one game and share it over a long distance?

Without developers approval? (you know EA prob shit themselves when they saw this)

It was a panic PR thing that they could never deliver on and rather then look stupid a second time by walking that back they decided to scrap the whole thing.

Robbery-Fail-GIF_1.gif

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2677 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

I'm surprised at the huge change of heart the Internet has had with the Xbox One over this news. It'd make you believe as if they never conceived the idea of restrictions in the first place.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2678 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

catfishmoon23
lol a rumour about something that is no longer happening.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2679 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Zaibach

I doubt if they will make such drastic changed once the gen has begun.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2680 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
While great news for gamers everywhere for "winning", I'm still very cautious about buying a Xbox One. What if the slowly start putting these DRM features into the console at a later date? They've clearly shown interest in these restrictions, so what's to stop them from throwing them in again after the consoles have been bought?
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2681 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
While great news for gamers everywhere for "winning", I'm still very cautious about buying a Xbox One. What if the slowly start putting these DRM features into the console at a later date? They've clearly shown interest in these restrictions, so what's to stop them from throwing them in again after the consoles have been bought?aaronmullan
I don't think even microsoft are dumb enough to do something like that
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2682 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Microsoft will bring this policy back into effect in the end, this is just getting people back on side. I give it a year and we'll start to see alot of games being DRM or at least the system will. 

The problem had al;ways been they never gave use a really good reason or examples of why we should give up our consumer rights, and never really gave a clear answer on how it was going to work.

At the end of the day it's ment to be a games console, i have everything else already It's nice to know i can go on netflix and so on through it, but it's ment to be a simple thing for my entertainment and i believe microsoft just lost track of that and tried turning it into a over complicated policy ridden system. 

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2683 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I am still buying an X1, Microsoft can still implement most of the things they wished to implement regardless of changing their policies. The only real loss is the family share plan.

Microsoft are obviously keen to push a generation that is heavily focused on being "always online" and always connected. They can still push this without having restrictive DRM measures. The simple solution in my mind would be to push forward with the steam-esque model. Offer Direct download games on Live at a lower price than those in retail outlets. They would be as restrictive as they are on the 360 (no sharing or trading -meaning no loss of revenue). 

If Microsoft and Sony get their Direct download price point right then they could significantly change the future of gaming without upsetting gamers.

Give consumers a choice between a £40 game at retail which they can share and trade... and the same game at £25-£30 via DD which they cannot share and cannot trade then I think we will find price will play a major role and DD will become the norm for everybody with an internet connection. 

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2684 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
OK time to bring this down I think, behave folks ;)
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2685 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

New poll...

XBODRMRPOP_zps153b1415.png

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5125

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2686 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

New poll...

XBODRMRPOP_zps153b1415.png

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5125

Truth_Hurts_U
So 57.29% of people who saw that pole were Sony fans....makes sense to me.
robybaggio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2687 robybaggio
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
BRING DRM BACK! Money to developers, death to the retailers!