Circana February Results - 1st PS5 2nd Switch 3rd Xbox (Units) - HellDivers #1 FFVII #2

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2451 Posts

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12956 Posts

Xbox second in revenue. Also...

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GhostOfGolden
@kvallyx said:

Which is why the title says "(Units)". That tweet you posted was in reference to this

The dude took a shot at Mat and was wrong. The Switch probably had the biggest fall yoy.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11092 Posts

@kvallyx said:

PS5: 415K (-26%) -10% asp

NSW: 210K (-28%)

XBS: 195K (-19%)

Still a flop.

Big wins for Sony this month though. Helldivers #1, FF7 Rebirth charted twice in the top ten. PS Portal and DualSense were the top selling accessories.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

Which is why the title says "(Units)". That tweet you posted was in reference to this

The dude took a shot at Mat and was wrong. The Switch probably had the biggest fall yoy.

I know you had "units". Which is why I referenced "revenue". And I know what the tweet was in reference to. It was fun seeing Mat slap that bitch into next week.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GhostOfGolden

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@kvallyx said:

Still a flop.

Big wins for Sony this month though. Helldivers #1, FF7 Rebirth charted twice in the top ten. PS Portal and DualSense were the top selling accessories.

I wanna know why the PS Portal is counting as an accessory now. It was under "hardware" to this point.

Those splits are probably pretty close to accurate. 15K units separating the Xbox and Switch would put the Xbox ahead in revenue.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@kvallyx said:

Still a flop.

At the risk of getting flamed (because most wont understand), I want to point out why this isnt a "win" for Sony and I can guarantee Hiroki Totoki sees it this way.

There has to be something wrong when Sony sold 2x the consoles, has more games on the charts, more 3rd party games..................yet Microsoft is STILL second in revenue.

You can see Totoki's analysis of Sony as a whole reflected in those numbers, where they are selling consoles and have a ton of revenue.........yet their profit margins are less than HALF of Microsoft and Nintendo.

Selling more consoles is actually hurting Sony because the software isnt keeping pace as it was last generation.

This is the issue I would point out if I were to give a brief to the Navy (I give investment [mostly on tech] briefs to the Navy for a living)

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11092 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

At the risk of getting flamed (because most wont understand), I want to point out why this isnt a "win" for Sony and I can guarantee Hiroki Totoki sees it this way.

There has to be something wrong when Sony sold 2x the consoles, has more games on the charts, more 3rd party games..................yet Microsoft is STILL second in revenue.

You can see Totoki's analysis of Sony as a whole reflected in those numbers, where they are selling consoles and have a ton of revenue.........yet their profit margins are less than HALF of Microsoft and Nintendo.

Selling more consoles is actually hurting Sony because the software isnt keeping pace as it was last generation.

This is the issue I would point out if I were to give a brief to the Navy (I give investment [mostly on tech] briefs to the Navy for a living)

What are you talking about? It's not accounting for games revenue, it's console revenue on the chart. Xbox is second in revenue because the cost of the combined platforms they have on the market still adds up higher than Switch's, even though the Switch is slightly above it in sales.

Console revenue isn't that big of a deal unless the hardware makes a profit anyway. The stores are the biggest factor in why consoles need to sell a lot of units. They get a cut from publishers and devs selling on their platform. The "walled garden" if you will

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GhostOfGolden

@navyguy21 said:

Yes, profit margins are a big deal. But PlayStation selling more hardware gets more consoles in their store, getting them more digital games sales revenue. Even 3rd party games sales benefit them there. They want as many consoles are there regardless of what 1st party software they have coming.

PlayStation mismanaging their profit margins is a different discussion altogether. Their games cost too much, they spend too much on marketing and licenses, and spend money on devices they don't support. Nintendo is the standard in this regard. PlayStation is the example of what not to do.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

@kvallyx said:

That pesky revenue. You know it only matters when it matters.😏

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@Pedro said:
@kvallyx said:

Why wouldn't revenue be more when the Series cost more per unit, well, X at least?

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8063 Posts

@Pedro said:
@kvallyx said:

yep, Nintendo has a "losing strategy" since consumers are "voting with their wallets" and choosing Xbox.. 😏

#revenuewars

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GhostOfGolden

@Chutebox said:
@Pedro said:
@kvallyx said:

Why wouldn't revenue be more when the Series cost more per unit, well, X at least?

We can’t let these pesky details get in the way of a good fanboy narrative!

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8063 Posts
@Chutebox said:
@Pedro said:
@kvallyx said:

Where is the confusion?..

If any given console was sold for $1, they'd "win" units sold by a country mile but make almost no revenue.. glorifying units sold but downplaying the actual revenue generated by that hardware is just an exercise in cherry picking..

this is particularly true since these consoles have had varying pricepoints for generations now.. these aren't apples-to-apples comparisons to begin with..

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1248 Posts

What were the PSVR2 unit numbers?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pedro

@Chutebox: Why would it be more than what exactly? Hasn't it been touted that the system has been on sale since the holidays?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

lol :P

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

I know you had "units". Which is why I referenced "revenue". And I know what the tweet was in reference to. It was fun seeing Mat slap that bitch into next week.

So basically you moved goalposts just to put the Xbox in a positive light right?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KvallyX

@ermacness said:
@kvallyx said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

So basically you moved goalposts just to put the Xbox in a positive light right?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

As a cow I would never do that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19546 Posts

FFVII Rebirth was only out for a single day in February, yet ranked twice in the top ten (2 and 8). That's a strong start.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

@Jag85 said:

FFVII Rebirth was only out for a single day in February, yet ranked twice in the top ten (2 and 8). That's a strong start.

be careful, you might upset someone 😄

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro

@Jag85 said:

Meanwhile. 🎣

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jag85
@Pedro said:
@Jag85 said:

Meanwhile. 🎣

1. That's physical only.

2. US is a larger market than UK.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Jag85 said:

be careful, you might upset someone 😄

welp, that was quick lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro
^😂^
^😂^

@Jag85 said:

1. That's physical only.

Physical purchased is a good reflection of digital. I can't recall the trend of purchasing between two be at odd with each other.

Yes! But UK market has been perpetually used on this forum. I am not sure why it is a problem now.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

FF7R able to chart 2nd around +- 1 million units in one day of tracking.

Needs to know the next month if it able to hold top 5 then safe to say game has a very successful launch.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85
@Pedro said:
@Jag85 said:

1. That's physical only.

Physical purchased is a good reflection of digital. I can't recall the trend of purchasing between two be at odd with each other.

Yes! But UK market has been perpetually used on this forum. I am not sure why it is a problem now.

US chart includes physical+digital sales. UK chart only includes physical sales. The US chart is a much stronger indicator of its success as it includes both physical and digital.

The UK chart is perpetually used on this forum because it updates on a weekly basis, whereas the US chart is monthly. Once we have the monthly US chart, that takes precedence.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@Jag85 said:

US chart includes physical+digital sales. UK chart only includes physical sales. The US chart is a much stronger indicator of its success as it includes both physical and digital.

The UK chart is perpetually used on this forum because it updates on a weekly basis, whereas the US chart is monthly. Once we have the monthly US chart, that takes precedence.

Is it typical for digital sales and physical sales to be contrary to each other?

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1046 Posts

It will only gets worse for Xbox. Good

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

@Pedro: I believe they are - although I naturally do not have the data to properly analyse it - just call it a hunch.

The physical world is split between the gamers who buy every game physically that they can. The others are people who buy physical copies of certain games they really obsess over and a lot of them are buying the top tier versions.

An unscientific survey from looking at You Tube is that a lot of people into FF7 Rebirth more than most gamers would buy the deluxe edition with all its trimmings whereas normal players, like me, got the standard edition digitally.

This explains why the physical entries of games like FF7 Rebirth will chart high then drop off quickly. The ones that will buy it physically will get it day one. With digital it incorporate the gamers who are not as fussed it being a day one purchase and will buy it later, when they get paid etc.

Physical is becoming a more niche section of the gaming market. I believe games will soon be digital apart from a limited edition physical run.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By loudheadphones
@Pedro said:
@Jag85 said:

Is it typical for digital sales and physical sales to be contrary to each other?

Wrong. UK provides also digital + physical chart on monthly basis. March report is next week where FF7 Rebirth should be included.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/helldivers-2-is-a-major-hit-in-the-uk-uk-february-charts

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via PC digital stores, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Kepler, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Tencent, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Btw. Pedro, FF7 Rebirth had a strong sales in just few days of tracking in Europe

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/european-game-sales-strong-in-february-thanks-to-helldivers-2-european-monthly-charts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@loudheadphones said:
@Pedro said:

Wrong. UK provides also digital + physical chart on monthly basis. March report is next week where FF7 Rebirth should be included.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/helldivers-2-is-a-major-hit-in-the-uk-uk-february-charts

GSD digital data includes games from participating companies sold via PC digital stores, Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Eshop. Major participating companies are Activision Blizzard, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Codemasters, Electronic Arts, Embracer Group (including Gearbox, Koch Media, Sabre Interactive), Focus Entertainment, Kepler, Konami, Marvellous Games, Microids, Microsoft (including Bethesda), Milestone, Nacon, Paradox Interactive, Quantic Dream, Sega, Sony, Square Enix, Take-Two, Tencent, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Nintendo and 505 Games are the notable absentees, alongside smaller studios.

Btw. Pedro, FF7 Rebirth had a strong sales in just few days of tracking in Europe

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/european-game-sales-strong-in-february-thanks-to-helldivers-2-european-monthly-charts

Next time my angry and triggered friend, read the comment before responding.🤭

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro: I believe they are - although I naturally do not have the data to properly analyse it - just call it a hunch.

The physical world is split between the gamers who buy every game physically that they can. The others are people who buy physical copies of certain games they really obsess over and a lot of them are buying the top tier versions.

An unscientific survey from looking at You Tube is that a lot of people into FF7 Rebirth more than most gamers would buy the deluxe edition with all its trimmings whereas normal players, like me, got the standard edition digitally.

This explains why the physical entries of games like FF7 Rebirth will chart high then drop off quickly. The ones that will buy it physically will get it day one. With digital it incorporate the gamers who are not as fussed it being a day one purchase and will buy it later, when they get paid etc.

Physical is becoming a more niche section of the gaming market. I believe games will soon be digital apart from a limited edition physical run.

I am open to seeing data in which games chart differently between physical and digital. It would be interesting to see which games do if it actually happens.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By loudheadphones
@Pedro said:
@loudheadphones said:
@Pedro said:

Next time my angry and triggered friend, read the comment before responding.🤭

@jcafcwbb said:

I am open to seeing data in which games chart differently between physical and digital. It would be interesting to see which games do if it actually happens.

This is not your comment. Btw, Xbot, you've happily provided a link how FF7R Rebirth dropped almost 90% in UK in one week, that's why I've said to you how FF7 Rebirth had a good sales across EU. But WTF Xbots knows. No wonder why Xbox is on life support because its delusion fandom

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pedro

@loudheadphones: Child of ape, read the comment you were responding to.😂

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 loudheadphones

@Pedro said:

You've provided a link about FF7 Rebirth sales. Better be an ape than Xbot.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pedro

@loudheadphones said:
@Pedro said:

You've provided a link about FF7 Rebirth sales. Better be an ape than Xbot.

Child of monkey, this was the comment you responded to

@Pedro said:

😂