CD Projekt revealed sale (and profit) numbers of The Witcher 2

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="PC360Wii"] What does this have to do with console games? there has been pleanty of viral hype and marketing for the Witcher 2, its a free alternative or addition that works well. I didnt get the memo that we base sales as "awesome" based on Sales : Marketing Ratio..... "Niche RPG" oh please..... whats niche about it exactly? The massive hype? the game mechanics resembeling those of a typical modern western RPG? the most hyped up PC RPG exclusive (well so we thought.... bet CDproject was having a good laugh at people buying multiple copies to ensure it was a success so it would stay PC exclusive... or buying it off GoG.) Nothing "Niche" about the witcher 2.

It was a direct competitor to Bioware's style RPG, with industry leading graphics (RPGs), copying the now not niche Demon Souls.

I think peopel forget when a company stops going indie.

NoodleFighter

Profit is more important than sales. Right now the witcher 2 is probably more profitable than crysis2.

That reminds me of all the things Crytek said about single player only games not selling on PC they I wonder how they feel when looking at this :P

They've already said in interviews that in retrospect, they feel stupid for approaching crysis 2 the way they did.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Profit is more important than sales. Right now the witcher 2 is probably more profitable than crysis2.

topgunmv

That reminds me of all the things Crytek said about single player only games not selling on PC they I wonder how they feel when looking at this :P

They've already said in interviews that in retrospect, they feel stupid for approaching crysis 2 the way they did.

Hope they show the learned better in their next game on PC.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#153 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
CDPR is a great developer across the board - quick to make patches, works with GPU makers to fix drivers, gives free DLCs, runs the GoG website. And in the Witcher they have made one of the best RPGs ever.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
Nearly a million copies sold in 3 months is nothing to scoff at pc games sell over longer periods of time and have higher profit margins due to DD sales cutting out the middleman and having little to no advertising budget. Check back on sales in a year or 2 and they will be much higher and bare in mind that with a budget of only 9 million and a small advertising budget they don't need to sell a ridiculous number of copies to make money they have already raked in a very nice profit with just the first 6 weeks of sales anything from there is just pure profit and I fully expect this game to sell excess of 3 million copies once its been out longer.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I wish they would also port TW1 to the 360.
Package it together with TW2.That would be lovely.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#156 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Nearly a million copies sold in 3 monthsDJ_Headshot

Actually,those numbers are from half of that time. ;)

_tr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 _tr
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]Nearly a million copies sold in 3 monthsArach666

Actually,those numbers are from half of that time. ;)

Precisely - from 1,5 month of retail distribution (80% of sold copies) AND 3 months of digital distribution (remainder - 20 % of sold copies). So you both are somewhat right. :P
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#158 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Can't wait for the 360 version! Day one purchase for me!
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts

I was expecting this game to sell more considering its a big PC exclusive. Well hopefully they get more sales, and hopefully the xbox 360 version next year will give them more sales as well. They are an awesome developer and they deserve the sales. I am hoping piracy for this game was low, because it would be a shame that this game suffered potential sales loss due to scum **** pirates.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="ocstew"]So now PC gamers can stop claiming DD makes up over 50% of PC sales in rebut poor retail figures from devs. I'm a PC gamer too but you have to face the truth. Anyway, great sales figures for TW2.ocstew

I believe the 50% DD numbers were solely NA.

Why would that happen? Europe has way faster internet than America. Proof of 50% figure?

Link

NPD releases the statement.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts

Great to hear,it deserves it.One of the best games for 2011

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Great news, PC gamers support good devs.

Sell out devs should look to people like this as an example, Crytek for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

That's good news. It was a great game just like the first one and deserved to sell well.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

More than 20% of those copies were sold in digital distribution.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it's likely less than 25% and definitely less than 30%. This surprises me because I usually hear PC gamers looking at retail numbers and saying that digital sales are likely double or more.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

More than 20% of those copies were sold in digital distribution.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it's likely less than 25% and definitely less than 30%. This surprises me because I usually hear PC gamers looking at retail numbers and saying that digital sales are likely double or more.

Senor_Kami
There was some market share / money chart before released that showed that DD was about 50% of the total. Probably true as it would count every game (including Digital only (alot of indie games). If you go by large names only that release on both you will probably get around the 15-30% mark.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I was expecting this game to sell more considering its a big PC exclusive. Well hopefully they get more sales, and hopefully the xbox 360 version next year will give them more sales as well. They are an awesome developer and they deserve the sales. I am hoping piracy for this game was low, because it would be a shame that this game suffered potential sales loss due to scum **** pirates.

AkimboBFGNinja

Those sales were from the first 6 weeks, it has probably sold well over a million by now. Pirates also shouldn't be seen as lost sales either, if the game sold well it sold well, who cares what pirates are doing.