CAPCOM MARVEL TITLES NO LONGER AVAILABLE ONLINE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

http://talkbacker.com/gaming/news-games/capcom-and-activision-marvel-titles-no-longer-available-online/id=19180

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

and people say that digital shit is the future... But this is prove that the future CAN'T be only digital. Shit like Steam and what M$ wanted to do with the Xbox is what will end up killing gaming history for good.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

U4M playing Vespierai and it's realllllllllllly goood!!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Why I like physical copies....nothing beats the physical....be it movies, music, or games.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

I just bought a copy of UMVC3 for PS3. If they lost the license then the physical copies will also be stopped very soon. Good tip for anyone who wants to make some bank later.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bread_or_Decide

@Gue1 said:

and people say that digital shit is the future... But this is prove that the future CAN'T be only digital. Shit like Steam and what M$ wanted to do with the Xbox is what will end up killing gaming history for good.

Well, you keep the digital copy you purchased.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#7 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Physical FTW.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Just like I have said since E3. Digital is great, until you lose access to games you paid for.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@RossRichard said:

Just like I have said since E3. Digital is great, until you lose access to games you paid for.

Well, in this case nobody is losing access, the games are just not for sale anymore. If you bought the games you can still play them.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

Okay...I think people are not getting this. You can't buy a new digital copy. That doesn't mean you've lost your digital copy already purchased.

Just like any physical copy that goes out of print. This is the same thing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

This is why I avoid DRM most of the time...

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

A lot of posts here will be misunderstanding what is actually happening

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Because licensed games can't be on sale forever.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Sort of wishing I had picked up Deadpool when it was on Steam for $10 the other day....crap. Wish they would have announced this partnership ending before it ended,

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Why I like physical copies....nothing beats the physical....be it movies, music, or games.

I don't get it. They could have easily said no more physical copies to be sold. How does this affect the people who already have it?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

It was a license issue, nothing else.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Man, so many people don't understand how this works, especially in regards to the physical copies.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I feel like I commented on this before, but yeah this sucks. MvC Origins is barely a year old. :(

----

I said in the other thread:

"This is just another reason for those pining for ALL DIGITAL FUTURES shouldn't be so quick to jump in. Companies control the digital arena, and there is no used or physical copy new Retail avenue to finding that rare game. Games digitally disappear for whatever reason and you have no other legal channel to grab the game at retail or used. With Retail, you get news like this, and you still have a shot at finding copies in the wild new and especially used."

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Maybe this is a ruse to start selling Marvel games?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidTy

@millerlight89 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I don't get it. They could have easily said no more physical copies to be sold. How does this affect the people who already have it?

I'm not going to troll you, but I will attempt an legitimate answer from my perspective so I hope if you do respond you can remember my approach as you have been known to troll when you get answers you don't like to read.

To answer you, it doesn't affect anyone who already owns the digital copies unless the digital service disappears...However, for those seeking to buy those games or future people that don't even know they would have wanted it but find out about the games later, new copies will NOT be sitting on shelves. There will be no used copies for them to track down either.

Basically, this issue doesn't affect people who own these digital games other than the online community won't be growing dramatically as the games get removed. However, it sucks for people that wanted to buy the game but never got around to it due to financial issues or timing. One such user exists here in SW by the name of L.Skyheart. He lamented in another thread he wanted MvC Origins.

This is the advantage of a physical market over the digital. A combination of physical and digital is most welcome, but digital only puts too much power on one side and when licensing deals end, you can't buy the digital games anymore. It's true, production ceases for both the digital and physical games, but there are differences.

When that same licensing ends for physical games, NEW copies exist in the wild, and better yet often times get discounted to make space for new games. On top of that, used copies exist on those licensed games if you can't find them new years later.

The idea of trusting an online service to stay up indefinitely so I can keep my digital games queue also doesn't sit well with me, and I love the ability to lend, borrow, rent, trade, or sell my physical games.

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

this is the end for Steam.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

another perfect reason as to why physical is much better, even after licenses run out you can still buy them.

i was going to buy MvC1 and 2 but alas because of stupid legal herp derp and disney seem to dislike my cash then its their loss, but a bigger loss for gamers.A perfect reason for digital only and its supporters look like an even worse choice i personally revile the whole digital only culture and will go physical whenever possible whether it be music,games or movies although i do say i like netflix but thats a different kettle of fish.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

A pretty dumb move, if you ask me, as you can still buy a CD key and download a DVD copy from torrents. People will get their recent releases even cheaper by now by buying Russian CD keys or directly will pirate their games to hell.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

if you bought it an downloaded it they still have to leave up the games for people who already bought them i think so it doens't make a physical copy any better since they can still play and download them just can't buy them online anymore

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@heretrix said:

@RossRichard said:

Well, in this case nobody is losing access, the games are just not for sale anymore. If you bought the games you can still play them.

But can you redownload them. Lets say I build a new PC and go to redownload my games. Will those games still be there for download?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 heretrix

@AmazonTreeBoa: Yes, it's in your account.

linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

thanks god for psysical copies.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

old news

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

This is pretty much old news that's been well tread.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I hate licensing. it's getting way out of hand in nearly every medium. I guess if it were gone the parties seeking license's would take advantage of the system.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Well yes, this is what happens when a license runs out.

If you already owned a digital copy of the game, you'll always be able to download it. You just can't buy it new that way anymore. Same will be true at retail as the last of the new copies are bought up.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Gue1 said:

lol acting like Sony isn't headed in the same exact direction.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@RossRichard said:

Except those that bought didn't lose their games... I bought Deadpool Gamefly after it got pulled from steam. I was still able to activate it on Steam and play it. There goes your bogus statement out the window.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I'm not surprised that the people who are misunderstanding the situation are all console kids. Learn to read peasants! This is why you are not royalty and Master Race material. What is happening with these Marvel games is the equivalent as something going out of print as someone has already stated. Whatever physical copies and digital keys are left for these games, will be the last chance you have to buy them to play them. Unless Marvel fixes the situation and puts them back up for sale. The latter is what I assume they will do.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heretrix

@SolidTy said:

@millerlight89 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not going to troll you, but I will attempt an legitimate answer from my perspective so I hope if you do respond you can remember my approach as you have been known to troll when you get answers you don't like to read.

To answer you, it doesn't affect anyone who already owns the digital copies unless the digital service disappears...However, for those seeking to buy those games or future people that don't even know they would have wanted it but find out about the games later, new copies will NOT be sitting on shelves. There will be no used copies for them to track down either.

Basically, this issue doesn't affect people who own these digital games other than the online community won't be growing dramatically as the games get removed. However, it sucks for people that wanted to buy the game but never got around to it due to financial issues or timing. One such user exists here in SW by the name of L.Skyheart. He lamented in another thread he wanted MvC Origins.

This is the advantage of a physical market over the digital. A combination of physical and digital is most welcome, but digital only puts too much power on one side and when licensing deals end, you can't buy the digital games anymore. It's true, production ceases for both the digital and physical games, but there are differences.

When that same licensing ends for physical games, NEW copies exist in the wild, and better yet often times get discounted to make space for new games. On top of that, used copies exist on those licensed games if you can't find them new years later.

The idea of trusting an online service to stay up indefinitely so I can keep my digital games queue also doesn't sit well with me, and I love the ability to lend, borrow, rent, trade, or sell my physical games.

To be perfectly honest with you I think that for a lot of people it really doesn't make a difference. By the time the most popular digital services go the way of the dodo, the average user probably won't be playing those games anymore because they will have probably sold their system and games to get something new. I get that those sold systems will be resold to someone that hasn't experienced those titles, (a good thing)but most games now (the publishers focus) is on games that have to be connected to some digital service anyway and it doesn't matter if the game is physical or not if the servers are dead, the game is mostly useless anyway.

I believe that having a physical copy is better for the most part but seeing the way things are going, it's not going to matter if the physical game is just as dependent on being connected as a digital copy. I absolutely HATE the way tablet games are made; most of them you can't play at all if you aren't connected to the internet and that's total bullshit.

That said I'm not really against digital, it's like anything else really, buy from the place that suits your needs and is financially stable. I don't see Steam going down anytime soon and I can play all of my games offline if need be, so I really don't miss having a bunch of PC game boxes lying around. I'm more of a gamer than a collector.

Console DD is total bullshit. I really don't like the fact that all of the money that I spent on PSN and XBL is down the shitter because I don't want 5 or six consoles lying around. At least on the PC if I upgrade I don't lose the ability to play my damn games. It's really one of the main reasons I haven bought the X1 or a PS4 yet. Eff that noise.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

It's not just a digital issue, when the physical copies that are out now are all sold you won't be able to get a physical copy of the game either.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidTy

@heretrix said:

@SolidTy said:

@millerlight89 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

To be perfectly honest with you I think that for a lot of people it really doesn't make a difference. By the time the most popular digital services go the way of the dodo, the average user probably won't be playing those games anymore because they will have probably sold their system and games to get something new. I get that those sold systems will be resold to someone that hasn't experienced those titles, (a good thing)but most games now (the publishers focus) is on games that have to be connected to some digital service anyway and it doesn't matter if the game is physical or not if the servers are dead, the game is mostly useless anyway.

I believe that having a physical copy is better for the most part but seeing the way things are going, it's not going to matter if the physical game is just as dependent on being connected as a digital copy. I absolutely HATE the way tablet games are made; most of them you can't play at all if you aren't connected to the internet and that's total bullshit.

That said I'm not really against digital, it's like anything else really, buy from the place that suits your needs and is financially stable. I don't see Steam going down anytime soon and I can play all of my games offline if need be, so I really don't miss having a bunch of PC game boxes lying around. I'm more of a gamer than a collector.

Console DD is total bullshit. I really don't like the fact that all of the money that I spent on PSN and XBL is down the shitter because I don't want 5 or six consoles lying around. At least on the PC if I upgrade I don't lose the ability to play my damn games. It's really one of the main reasons I haven bought the X1 or a PS4 yet. Eff that noise.

I am a huge gamer as well as attributed by my Gamerscore/Trophies/various PC and Nintendo games, but I'm also a huge collector, it's true. I consider myself both and never really "picked a side" so to speak.

I daresay I am both types of gamers (hardcore gamer and collector), as opposed to being one more than the other. If I was forced to divide, I'm more gamer than collector, the collection is for my future offspring/visiting family/girlfriends. I too have hundreds of XBLA, Wii VC, and PSN games that I fear will one day be lost, not to mention my hundreds of PC digital games.

However, reading your post I can't say I disagree with anything you said. I know DD is bullshit moreso on consoles which is what I was talking about in this thread about Marvel Capcom games. When I go digital on Steam, GOG, XBLA, PSN, Blizzard, or whatever...it has to be a smoking deal.Sometimes that's the case, and for others I have to find that deal at retail, like Blizzard to get a second copy of StarCraft II, HotS even though the Physical copies basically digital, I got it for $15.Even Physical has it's benefits on the DRM heavy PC side, as retailers are always doing sales to make space. Mostly though, my post was about console DRM.

I love the idea of one box that has every game I've ever loved under the sun connected to a giant HDTV w/ amazing 7.1 audio, but publishers keep trying to needle dick their newer DRM into my business every time I turn around when they think I'm not looking.

As I said though, I don't disagree with anything you posted, as you offered your perspective to this chat.

I only posted to offer an answer to his question and give my perspective on the matter. Happy gaming.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 heretrix

@SolidTy said:

@heretrix said:

@SolidTy said:

@millerlight89 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I am a huge gamer as well as attributed by my Gamerscore/Trophies/various PC and Nintendo games, but I'm also a huge collector, it's true. I consider myself both and never really "picked a side" so to speak.

I daresay I am both types of gamers (hardcore gamer and collector), as opposed to being one more than the other. If I was forced to divide, I'm more gamer than collector, the collection is for my future offspring/visiting family/girlfriends. I too have hundreds of XBLA, Wii VC, and PSN games that I fear will one day be lost, not to mention my hundreds of PC digital games.

However, reading your post I can't say I disagree with anything you said. I know DD is bullshit moreso on consoles which is what I was talking about in this thread about Marvel Capcom games. When I go digital on Steam, GOG, XBLA, PSN, Blizzard, or whatever...it has to be a smoking deal.Sometimes that's the case, and for others I have to find that deal at retail, like Blizzard to get a second copy of StarCraft II, HotS even though the Physical copies basically digital, I got it for $15.Even Physical has it's benefits on the DRM heavy PC side, as retailers are always doing sales to make space. Mostly though, my post was about console DRM.

I love the idea of one box that has every game I've ever loved under the sun connected to a giant HDTV w/ amazing 7.1 audio, but publishers keep trying to needle dick their newer DRM into my business every time I turn around when they think I'm not looking.

As I said though, I don't disagree with anything you posted, as you offered your perspective to this chat.

I only posted to offer an answer to his question and give my perspective on the matter. Happy gaming.

Cool. I get where you are coming from as well and just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the subject since it comes up a lot.

Hey, I just noticed your avatar. lol. Kung Fury ftw..

That has probably got to be the funniest trailer I have ever seen. I almost don't want them to make a full movie out of that because how in the hell could you sustain that?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy

@heretrix said:

@SolidTy said:

@heretrix said:

@SolidTy said:

Cool. I get where you are coming from as well and just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the subject since it comes up a lot.

Hey, I just noticed your avatar. lol. Kung Fury ftw..

That has probably got to be the funniest trailer I have ever seen. I almost don't want them to make a full movie out of that because how in the hell could you sustain that?

Haha, you are the first to comment/notice my Kung Fury Avy. My sig is also from Kung, but the pic doesn't always appear due to glitchspot. It's hard finding a theme that hasn't been tapped on GS.

I also agree, I too don't think they can sustain the hilarity of that Kung Fury trailer...I love the trailer, but I'm not sure if I'll love the movie. I hope so, but we'll see.