Capcom invests 40 million in mobile gamming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

used monster hunter profits for it...

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Can't see this backfiring on them. They really should just make the MegaMan game everyone has wanted for some time now but given their current state they'll probably screw it up.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Its a shame one of the best third party developers of last gen has been forced to kneel to mobile gaming.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I thought they were going broke. What the hell could they possibly do with all that gam? No one even needs half that gam.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@farrell2k said:

I don't know who this guy in the video is, but he is a whiney douche. All I ehard was boo hoo waah waah. Every game company needs to invest in mobile. The number 1 gift for kids in the U.S. this Christmas is the Ipad.

really? so you think this was a good move by capcom?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Capitan_Kid said:

Its a shame one of the best third party developers of last gen has been forced to kneel to mobile gaming.

One of the best of last gen? Are you high?

They were quite prolific, but hardly the best, or even that good.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

LMAO I didn't even know those a55holes were worth up to 40 mil

Mulligan1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Mulligan1982
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

take the money and make a monster hunter for a reasonable console and bring it to us in the west... -.-

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capitan_Kid

@foxhound_fox said:
@Capitan_Kid said:

One of the best of last gen? Are you high?

They were quite prolific, but hardly the best, or even that good.

Well when you have games like

Dead Rising

Dead Rising 2

Dragons Dogma

Devil May Cry 4

Street Fighter 4

Street Fighter x Tekken

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil Revelations

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Zack and Wiki

Megaman 9

Megaman 10

Lost Planet Series

Remember Me

Super Street Fighter 4

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom

Strider

Im gonna say yeah, they were definitely one of the best.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox

@Capitan_Kid said:

Dead Rising

Devil May Cry 4

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Zack and Wiki

Megaman 9

Megaman 10

Those being, of those you listed, the only ones worth playing.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

They weren't forced to do anything, they think that mobile will magically save them from all their bad business decisions, just like Square Enix.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

"Smartphones/Tablets aren't competing with handhelds, or consoles"

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

you mean porting games I dont support them because they only make them for ios

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

They literally just spent 1/4th of their savings on a department that has been failing outside of Monster Hunter spin offs:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/capcom-only-has-152-million-bank

Sometimes I feel people forget the great hardware that is the 3DS and Vita.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Capitan_Kid

@foxhound_fox said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Dead Rising

Devil May Cry 4

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Zack and Wiki

Megaman 9

Megaman 10

Those being, of those you listed, the only ones worth playing.

Nah. You just have terrible tastes. If Street Fighter 4, the game that saved fighting games, isnt worth playing, then nothing is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Well I suppose this is their only option given most their franchises have gone to shit, and only 150million in the bank... I mean they could start catering to their fanbases again, the ones that made them successful in the first place but apparently that is a really stupid idea.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Seems like a smart investment with mobile gaming becoming very popular.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox

@Capitan_Kid said:

Nah. You just have terrible tastes. If Street Fighter 4, the game that saved fighting games, isnt worth playing, then nothing is.

Saved fighting games? From what? What about Virtua Fighter? Dead or Alive? Guilty Gear? King of Fighters? Mortal Kombat? Soul Caibur? Injustice? Fighting games are still very highly relevant.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Smart move.. Mobile gaming is flourishing right now and Capcom could release gems on it that make them some money..

Castlevania, Mega man, Bionic Commando all mobile would be incredible. They have a VAST catalog of games they could bring over..

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capitan_Kid

@foxhound_fox: You know those came later on right? Before that, fighters were super niche. Street Fighter 4 kickstarted the genre amd caused a huge surge of fighting games this gen.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

@foxhound_fox: You know those came later on right? Before that, fighters were super niche. Street Fighter 4 kickstarted the genre amd caused a huge surge of fighting games this gen.

what? Fighting games were very popular before SS4 even came out..does MVC2 ring a bell?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@farrell2k:

@farrell2k said:
@KBFloYd said:

@farrell2k said:

I don't know who this guy in the video is, but he is a whiney douche. All I ehard was boo hoo waah waah. Every game company needs to invest in mobile. The number 1 gift for kids in the U.S. this Christmas is the Ipad.

Yes. Every developer should have some mobile in their portfolio. I am not sying they should throw all their eggs in one basket, but the business strategy of not relying on one segment of the market, especially when it is driving you broke, seems a smart thing to me.

Actually, I think Capcom would shine as a Nintendo owned developer.

Your not serious right? If Nintendo owned Capcom, RE would have no story, no voice acting, blood would be gone and It would ten times worse than it is now. Metroid would end up using the DMC engine(LOL), and well Capcom doesn't do that much.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

@Capitan_Kid said:

Which of those games came after SFIV?

The only ones I can think about is Blazeblue and Injustice. DOA, SC, KoF, GG, MK, Tekken and VF have been around for at least a decade.

You really aren't making a compelling point here.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@stuff238 said:

@farrell2k:

@farrell2k said:
@KBFloYd said:

@farrell2k said:

Yes. Every developer should have some mobile in their portfolio. I am not sying they should throw all their eggs in one basket, but the business strategy of not relying on one segment of the market, especially when it is driving you broke, seems a smart thing to me.

Actually, I think Capcom would shine as a Nintendo owned developer.

Your not serious right? If Nintendo owned Capcom, RE would have no story, no voice acting, blood would be gone and It would ten times worse than it is now. Metroid would end up using the DMC engine(LOL), and well Capcom doesn't do that much.

I Agree.. Capcom would be a terrible 1st party dev for Nintendo. I don't think they would "Kiddy-fy" everything but you'd definitely see a tamer Capcom.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Capitan_Kid

@foxhound_fox said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Which of those games came after SFIV?

The only ones I can think about is Blazeblue and Injustice. DOA, SC, KoF, GG, MK, Tekken and VF have been around for at least a decade.

You really aren't making a compelling point here.

Im talking about how when the year 2000 hit, fighting games were very much dieing in popularity. Virtua Fighter was practically non existant, MK was sucking ass. Guilty Gear, Tekken,MvC2,DoA and SoulCal were pretty much the only things on the scene. Street Fighter 4 came out and fighting games went from niche to super popular and we saw all kinds of different fighting games. Now we have even more stuff like SkullGirls, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Injustice, the latest MK, Arcana Heart 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, Tekken Tag 2, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tekken x Street Fighter, Chaos Code, Aquapazza, and some others. Theyre a lot more popular then what they used to be.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox
@Capitan_Kid said:

Im talking about how when the year 2000 hit, fighting games were very much dieing in popularity. Virtua Fighter was practically non existant, MK was sucking ass. Guilty Gear, Tekken,MvC2,DoA and SoulCal were pretty much the only things on the scene. Street Fighter 4 came out and fighting games went from niche to super popular and we saw all kinds of different fighting games. Now we have even more stuff like SkullGirls, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue, Injustice, the latest MK, Arcana Heart 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, Tekken Tag 2, Street Fighter x Tekken, Tekken x Street Fighter, Chaos Code, Aquapazza, and some others. Theyre a lot more popular then what they used to be.

Fighting games never really went away. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Capcom's mobile division has been very profitable in the last few years, like with Smurfs' Village, for example. There's nothing odd about Capcom investing more into a profitable division of their company.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jag85

@foxhound_fox said:
@Capitan_Kid said:

Fighting games never really went away. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

What is so hard to understand? In the early 2000's, the mainstream popularity of fighting games declined significantly, becoming reduced to a niche genre. And then towards the end of the decade, Street Fighter IV kick-started the fighting game renaissance, with the fighting game genre regaining the mainstream popularity it had lost near the beginning of the decade. Street Fighter IV was quite easily the most influential fighting game last gen.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

R.I.P Crapcom

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@Capitan_Kid said:

What is so hard to understand? In the early 2000's, the mainstream popularity of fighting games declined significantly, becoming reduced to a niche genre. And then towards the end of the decade, Street Fighter IV kick-started the fighting game renaissance, with the fighting game genre regaining the mainstream popularity it had lost near the beginning of the decade. Street Fighter IV was quite easily the most influential fighting game last gen.

not really tekken still sold strongly, VF4 was a decent sucess, Mortal Kombat in the PS2 era gained a decent following and tried its hand at a different approach to a story mode whilst retaining the normal fighting system not to mention Soul Calibur 2 even amongst my friends who arent big gamers still talk bout it to this day.

how is it a niche genre again, sure it might have had a bit less exposure than this current generations offerings but the PS2 gen was still as strong in many many ways.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox

@razgriz_101 said:

not really tekken still sold strongly, VF4 was a decent sucess, Mortal Kombat in the PS2 era gained a decent following and tried its hand at a different approach to a story mode whilst retaining the normal fighting system not to mention Soul Calibur 2 even amongst my friends who arent big gamers still talk bout it to this day.

how is it a niche genre again, sure it might have had a bit less exposure than this current generations offerings but the PS2 gen was still as strong in many many ways.

Yeah, "going away" implies to me like space combat sims during the mid to late 00's. They actually disappeared for the most part (only the X series remained popular) and are only now featuring a major resurgence.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jag85

@razgriz_101 said:

@Jag85 said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@Capitan_Kid said:

I'm not sure why you deny that there was indeed a decline...

• Tekken declined from T3's 8.5 million to T4's 1.979 million.
  • Virtua Fighter declined from VF2's 2.2 million to VF4's 1.172 million.
  • Mortal Kombat declined from Deadly Alliance's 3.5 million to Armageddon's ~1 million.
  • Soul Calibur declined from SCII's 2.73 million to SCIII's ~1 million.

...And that's just for 3D fighting games.

The situation for 2D fighting games was far worse, becoming a dying genre by that point, before Street Fighter IV revived it.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

It seems like capcoms business model is based on the concept of throwing money down the toilet.

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wasted_wlsdom
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts

Capcom, next time you want to put a white guy in an African village and have him go on a killing spree, think about it first...and then don't do it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Get ready for on-phone DLC.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

well its the platform where they can nickel & dime their customers without much complaints..unlike on consoles/pc :P

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@razgriz_101 said:

@Jag85 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm not sure why you deny that there was indeed a decline...

• Tekken declined from T3's 8.5 million to T4's 1.979 million.
  • Virtua Fighter declined from VF2's 2.2 million to VF4's 1.172 million.
  • Mortal Kombat declined from Deadly Alliance's 3.5 million to Armageddon's ~1 million.
  • Soul Calibur declined from SCII's 2.73 million to SCIII's ~1 million.

...And that's just for 3D fighting games.

The situation for 2D fighting games was far worse, becoming a dying genre by that point, before Street Fighter IV revived it.

not only the genre was starting to fade but the scene for tournaments and stuff was too if it wasn't for SFIV.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Seriously capcpom? You have such a huge list of IPs you can make games for but you decide to focus on mobile? urg... I guess this is the future for them. Please don't f*ck up Monster Hunter and dragon dogma. You already killed Resident evil ;-;

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

How about investing some money in freaking Mega Man Legends 3