Can the power of the PS3 overcome....WALMART? o_0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/wal+mart-makes-the-push-for-299-hd-dvd-machines-253950.php

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/dvd_-_player/wal-mart_to_sell_cheap_hd-dvd_deck

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/22/0035238&from=rss

We all know the PS3 is Sony's primary (some would say only) hope for winning the format battle (if sales of stand-alone players are a fair indication), and the stradegy has been working relatively well for Sony until now.

Suddenly, seemingly out of the clear blue sky, WalMart--the worlds largest retailer by FAR--has decided to back and push HD-DVD to the masses on a scope and scale we've never seen before in this format war.

Clearly this doesn't burn down Sony's Blu-Ray trojan horse, but an idiot would belive that this won't make a significant impact on it. 

So what say ye?  Can the PS3--specifically it's blu-ray drive--overcome the weight of the mighty and unlikely alliance of WalMart + HD-DVD?

DISCUSS.

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
wal mart is biased. they're working with gamespot.
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts
It might hurt it, but most of the time lots of things have to make a format go down......
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dreams-Visions

wal mart is biased. they're working with gamespot.Kook18

seems like they're working with HD-DVD.  if they push 2 million players (their initial goal, I presume) there will be more HD-DVD stand-alone players on the market (not including HD-DVD computer drives and 360 add-ons) than PS3's + Blu-Ray stand-alone players.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
My Wal Mart has rows of blue ray movies, they had very little HD DVD movies.
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
Nothing can beat Wal-Mart. they feast on the souls of children.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dreams-Visions

It might hurt it, but most of the time lots of things have to make a format go down......theboxmike

what this suggests to me is that Blu-Ray is much farther from succeeding than it seemed. 

MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrHoboX
Member since 2004 • 1322 Posts

This could spell trouble, but it might be to little to late. WalMart should have been there from the start

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dreams-Visions

My Wal Mart has rows of blue ray movies, they had very little HD DVD movies.immortality20

the push is only about to begin.  undoubtedly the supply of movies will increase commensurate with the push for sales of the players.

Halo2_Norad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Halo2_Norad
Member since 2002 • 3802 Posts
oh well. Wal mart sucks anyway. see my sig hehe
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Game over Blu-Ray, go take a lap and hit the showers. Nothing spells semi-retarded consumer with disposable income for some "hi tech" product like Walmart. The only thing that I see keeping BR afloat now is the fact that Sony seems to be paying Best Buy to promote BR over HD-DVD.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

*A cloaked figure leads Mr. Blu-ray down a dark hall filled with sounds of despair* "And here you see Mr. Betamax, he was a lot like you, next door to him is Ms. Mini-Disc, she tried her best, and there at the end of the hall is a more recent arrival, Mr. UMD, he's a funny little fellow, yes you will fit right in here Mr. Blu-Ray for you see... YOU ARE IN HELL!!" Cue hell music for Sony and the PS3. :twisted:

KingManifest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KingManifest
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts

I'm not a Redneck/whitetrash hypocrit (Like those seen on Pen and Tellers bullsh*t TV show)

But...

Walmart Sucks :| 

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dreams-Visions

This could spell trouble, but it might be to little to late. WalMart should have been there from the start

MrHoboX

in reality, the war has just begun.

Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts

Honestly, I think this may be a nail in the coffin. 360 already has a larger userbase. And now WalMart is backing HD DVD? That's huge. Everybody shops at WalMart. People going in there for Cheetos and hairspray will likely walk out with the latest Martin Lawrence crapfest on HD DVD for $11.88.  And they always have stacks of DVDs by the checkout to tempt people.

Also has anyone noticed how prices end in .99 everywhere except WalMart, where they end in .88? Know why? They're Nazis. ;) Seriously. 

Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#16 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts
Ridiculous, if PS3 succeeds, blu-ray wins, end of discussion.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dreams-Visions

I'm not a Redneck/whitetrash hypocrit (Like those seen on Pen and Tellers bullsh*t TV show)

But...

Walmart Sucks :| 

KingManifest

liking WalMart was not part of the requirement to respect them or their impact on America (and the world).

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eltroz
Wal-Mart is huge! By far the biggest retail store. If they push HD-DVD hard then HD-DVD sales will go thru the roof. There is a reason why 5 of the richest 20 people in USA are Waltons.
MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrHoboX

Honestly, I think this may be a nail in the coffin. 360 already has a larger userbase. And now WalMart is backing HD DVD? That's huge. Everybody shops at WalMart. People going in there for Cheetos and hairspray will likely walk out with the latest Martin Lawrence crapfest on HD DVD for $11.88. And they always have stacks of DVDs by the checkout to tempt people.

Also has anyone noticed how prices end in .99 everywhere except WalMart, where they end in .88? Know why? They're Nazis. ;) Seriously.

Shut_Me_Up

Uhh but isn't that assuming that every 360 owner bought the extra HD-DVD drive? 

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dreams-Visions

Ridiculous, if PS3 succeeds, blu-ray wins, end of discussion.Gamer46

in theory, yes, but everyone isn't buy a PS3 to watch HD movies.  but there's no other use for a stand-alone player like this...so the industry has to sit up and take note.  unless they don't like money.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]

Honestly, I think this may be a nail in the coffin. 360 already has a larger userbase. And now WalMart is backing HD DVD? That's huge. Everybody shops at WalMart. People going in there for Cheetos and hairspray will likely walk out with the latest Martin Lawrence crapfest on HD DVD for $11.88. And they always have stacks of DVDs by the checkout to tempt people.

MrHoboX

I assume he's suggesting that if HD-DVD really caught on, 360 owners would be more compelled to buy the add-on than they are now.  those are potential HD-DVD customers.

KingManifest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KingManifest
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts
Dreams I gotta ask ... where is your Sig from?
Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shut_Me_Up
[QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]

MrHoboX

Fair enough. But still, it's WalMart! You've seen the South Park episode. People can't resist their "low" prices. 

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
By then Blu-ray players themselves shouldn't  be much more expensive.
MrHoboX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrHoboX
[QUOTE="MrHoboX"][QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]

Dreams-Visions

I assume he's suggesting that if HD-DVD really caught on, 360 owners would be more compelled to buy the add-on than they are now. those are potential HD-DVD customers.

Ahhh, yeah I could see that. This could get interesting 

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dreams-Visions

Dreams I gotta ask ... where is your Sig from? KingManifest

Strangers with Candy, Season 3 :)

Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shut_Me_Up

Dreams-Visions

I assume he's suggesting that if HD-DVD really caught on, 360 owners would be more compelled to buy the add-on than they are now. those are potential HD-DVD customers.

Yeah that too. They can either buy the add-on or a standalone player. But they'll buy it. It's the WalMart curse. 

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pundog
[QUOTE="Shut_Me_Up"]

MrHoboX

Yeah I think he's saying that any signifigant success for HD-DVD is going to send 360 owners into an HD-DVD buying frenzy. If every 360 owner had the HD-DVD add on we wouldn't be talking about BR anymore.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dreams-Visions

By then Blu-ray players themselves shouldn't  be much more expensive.Lazy_Boy88

the more stand-alone players sold, the faster the price can drop and this means VOLUME for HD-DVD.  Nobody expects to see a Blu-Ray stand-alone player anywhere near that until sometime in 2008 since stand-alone players aren't really selling for that format.  90% of Blu-Ray players out there are PS3's.  How many are being used for movies?  Hard to tell.

Halo2_Norad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Halo2_Norad
Member since 2002 • 3802 Posts

this i think will put a dent in blu-ray sales. 

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

One thing about Blu-ray a lot of people don't know is you need a lot of new equipment to produce the discs. With HD-DVD you can use the same stuff you were using to make DVD's. This kind of thing factors in over time and there are a lot of smaller outfits who would prefer to see HD-DVD win out so they don't have to invest in expensive new equipment or sign their life over to a bigger company to get the discs made. Blu-ray is pushed by the big boys because they want a slice of every movie sold to get into their greedy paws. HD-DVD is the format for the good hard working people of this earth. God bless Toshiba for their brave fight against evil.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has lol
Ben3128947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ben3128947
Member since 2005 • 182 Posts
More studio support for Blu-ray. HD-DVD can't compete with only 1 exclusive studio.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pundog
More studio support for Blu-ray. HD-DVD can't compete with only 1 exclusive studio.Ben3128947
I bet after this announcement BR won't have as many exclusive studios.
Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Eltroz
Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has lolDualshockin
If Wal-Mart starts to push HD-DVD hard then no movie can help Blue-Ray IMO
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has lolEltroz

You do realize why people buy discs, right?

For....movies?

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Just another anecdote pointing to the reality that the HD format war right now is a series of meaningless skirmishes, rather than the actual war. At this point, sales don't matter, exclusive studio support and titles don't matter. It's way too early on, things can and most likely will change. The HD format war may be a war that's never ready to be fully fought, that's a possibility, but what is certain is that it's not ready to be fought now.

Seriously, I hear ratios of Blu-ray and HD DVD sales each month thrown at me. Blu-ray monthly is outselling HD DVD something like 2:1 or 4:1, depending on which month we're talking about. What people don't realise is:

A) The volume of sales associated with these ratios are pathetic.

B) The massive fluctuation in ratios suggest sales are volatile.

In March, and for all of 2007 for that matter, Blu-ray has outsold HD DVD by 100,000 to about 400,000. Considering top DVD sales each week run into the millions, it tells us that the HD format market is so niche, it pretty much doesn't matter what is happening there at the moment. There are plenty of methods of explaning the pronounced, yet ultimately small, lead Blu-ray has, and the best one is probably the millions of installed PS3s in the US.

Bottom line, this war isn't in full swing yet. I'm not saying who will win, I'm not saying anyone will win, I'm saying those people who are calling the format war over are mistaking a scratch for a wound.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Eltroz

[QUOTE="Eltroz"][QUOTE="Dualshockin"]Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has lolfuzzysquash

You do realize why people buy discs, right?

For....movies?

Most shoppers are not going to pay $500+ for a blue-ray because Spider-Man is only on blue-ray when Wal-Mart is selling HD-DVDs for less then 1/2 a blue-ray. More people shop at Wal-Mart at least in USA then any other store. So when a person goes to buy one of those 2 products they will get the one that is far cheaper. Does not matter if Spiderman is only on BR. There is still plenty of HD movies and if sales go up which they now prolly will even more HD movies will be made.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dreams-Visions

The Matrix Trilogy and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy excslusively, among a ton of other stuff. :|

TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#40 TheJuggla17
Member since 2003 • 16307 Posts

Walmart + $200 HD-DVD Players = HD-DVD success. With the amount Walmart controls there is no denying that HD-DVD will be the winner.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dreams-Visions

Walmart + $200 HD-DVD Players = HD-DVD success. With the amount Walmart controls there is no denying that HD-DVD will be the winner.

TheJuggla17

but will the people jump?  is this just a miscalculation?  and how will Sony respond if hd-dvd sales go through the roof?  it's not like they'll sit back and watch it happen and do nothing.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has lolDreams-Visions

The Matrix Trilogy and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy excslusively, among a ton of other stuff. :|

Well, it's rumored that The Matrix is only a timed exclusive for HD-DVD. That could be an issue. However, I'm wondering how Fuh Yuan is going to afford making all of these players at that low of a price. Who is footing the bill?
TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheJuggla17
[QUOTE="TheJuggla17"]

Dreams-Visions

but will the people jump?  is this just a miscalculation?  and how will Sony respond if hd-dvd sales go through the roof?  it's not like they'll sit back and watch it happen and do nothing.

Well the way the Playstation 3 is sell at the moment this Walmart news could be what HD-DVD needs to break out of that two in a month Blu-Ray domination. You have to see it in the eyes of consumers. There will be two very low priced HD-DVD players on the market (Walmarts and Microsoft's HD-DVD player) while every Blu-Ray player is over $500. That is a very good thing for HD-DVD. And the same would be said if Walmart choose Blu-Ray. Walmart is huge and they dominate the market by 50%+. Either way I am covered because I already own both formats.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pundog
[QUOTE="TheJuggla17"]

Dreams-Visions

Here's the bigger problem than how many exclusive studios BR has or how cheap HD-DVD is, HDTVs still cost over $1000 for a good sized model, and many of those don't even have 1080p support or HDMI. The only thing being decided right now is what those with too much disposable income or too few braincells do with their money. We aren't going to see anything happen until HD players are down to about $100 and HDTVs are signifigantly cheaper, because no one is spending $800 for a 21" TV.
TheJuggla17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheJuggla17
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="TheJuggla17"]

pundog

Here's the bigger problem than how many exclusive studios BR has or how cheap HD-DVD is, HDTVs still cost over $1000 for a good sized model, and many of those don't even have 1080p support or HDMI. The only thing being decided right now is what those with too much disposable income or too few braincells do with their money. We aren't going to see anything happen until HD players are down to about $100 and HDTVs are signifigantly cheaper, because no one is spending $800 for a 21" TV.

You can go into Walmart and walk around with a 32in HDTV and an HD-DVD player for less then nine hundred. Ever think about that? And yes they are not the best brand of TV's but the market thives on ignorance. The motto of the adverage consumer is "As long as it works".

jiggawho2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jiggawho2006
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts

a typical sony fanboy...and their typical phrase, just wait..."just wait until shrek 3 , priraees 3 and spiderman 3 comes out ."

and when are they coming out? 2008 at earliest and maybe 2009? so just WAIT again...?

i love how cows tries to justified their purchase by stating, "just wait"......if you had even a little bit of IQ, you will realize that if walmart sells hd dvd player, it will be too late by 2009.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/wal+mart-makes-the-push-for-299-hd-dvd-machines-253950.php

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/dvd_-_player/wal-mart_to_sell_cheap_hd-dvd_deck

We all know the PS3 is Sony's primary (some would say only) hope for winning the format battle (if sales of stand-alone players are a fair indication), and the stradegy has been working relatively well for Sony until now.

Suddenly, seemingly out of the clear blue sky, WalMart--the worlds largest retailer by FAR--has decided to back and push HD-DVD to the masses on a scope and scale we've never seen before in this format war.

Clearly this doesn't burn down Sony's Blu-Ray trojan horse, but an idiot would belive that this won't make a significant impact on it.

So what say ye? Can the PS3--specifically it's blu-ray drive--overcome the weight of the mighty and unlikely alliance of WalMart + HD-DVD?

DISCUSS.

Dreams-Visions
want defective items due to poor handling of merchandise? When they load the trucks they put everything on the ground , sometimes you'll see a Weightset on TV's and DVD players and boxes dented and torn., or my favorite when the bottles of Handsoap spill on the TV boxes this is the funniest.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

[QUOTE="Dualshockin"]Shrek 3,Pirates 3,Spiderman 3. I wonder what HD-DVD has loljiggawho2006

a typical sony fanboy...and their typical phrase, just wait..."just wait until shrek 3 , priraees 3 and spiderman 3 comes out ."

and when are they coming out? 2008 at earliest and maybe 2009? so just WAIT again...?

i love how cows tries to justified their purchase by stating, "just wait"......if you had even a little bit of IQ, you will realize that if walmart sells hd dvd player, it will be too late by 2009.

Except for the fact that it says in one of the links that most of these HD-DVD units will go on sale next March. There's waiting for everyone it seems.
jiggawho2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jiggawho2006
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts
gosh

MrHoboX

MrHoboX

too late? last time i check, hd dvd's "planet earth" beat and surpassed "casino royale's" amazon dvd sell ranking...

hd dvd's planet earth was #4 in all the dvd that was sold, so are you telling me it's too late?

and for your info, top selling blu-ray right right is also planet earth and it's ranked much much lower than hd version, try 15

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

We all know the PS3 is Sony's primary (some would say only) hope for winning the format battle (if sales of stand-alone players are a fair indication), and the stradegy has been working relatively well for Sony until now.

Clearly this doesn't burn down Sony's Blu-Ray trojan horse, but an idiot would belive that this won't make a significant impact on it.

So what say ye? Can the PS3--specifically it's blu-ray drive--overcome the weight of the mighty and unlikely alliance of WalMart + HD-DVD?

DISCUSS.

peacebringer
want defective items due to poor handling of merchandise? When they load the trucks they put everything on the ground , sometimes you'll see a Weightset on TV's and DVD players and boxes dented and torn., or my favorite when the bottles of Handsoap spill on the TV boxes this is the funniest.

that really doesnt deter from the fact that wal mart has a huge influence on the merchandising industry just by how popular of a place it is. i'm not a fan of wal-mart, haven't walked into one in years and i could care less who wins the next gen dvd format. i'm not sticking to either atm until one wins.