Can Sony and Microsoft ever have their own 'Legend of Zelda' series?

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

The topic title sounds slightly ridiculous, but what I mean is, like The Legend of Zelda has become Nintendo's flagship franchise, and has become their long running fantasy series that is easily identifiable because of its unmistakeable story, characters, game world, and charm, will Sony and Microsoft ever have a similar franchise of their own?

I remember IGN's review for the original Fable on the Xbox said that if Microsoft handled it right, Fable could become their Zelda, but Microsoft kind of botched that series up. As far as I know, Sony has nothing like Zelda.

In fact, te closest series to Zelda that I know of is Elder Scrolls.

So my question is, can Sony and Microsoft ever have their own Zelda like series?

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

lol this thread reminds me of when gamers and the gaming media alike were hyping the first Dark Cloud game as Sonys Zelda.

I think Sonys closest thing would be the Team Ico games. MS? Cant think of anything.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
3D dot game heroes? :P
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
I thought that Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise. After all, Mario is Nintendo's main mascot, not Link.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

I thought Mario was their flagship franchise?

Well anyway,I don´t think MS(or any other) needs to have a personal Zelda,especially these days where the relevance of the series isn´t a great as it was. ;)

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

Well anyway,I don´t think MS(or any other) needs to have a personal Zelda,especially these days where the relevance of the series isn´t a great as it was. ;)

The series is as relevant as it ever was, although I suppose a five year hiatus hasn't helped its case much. Just you wait though, with Skyward Sword, it'll return to its old glory again!
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Microsoft has Fable

and

Sony has Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Datxer, and/or Ratchet & Clank

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

crippled_ram

The series is as relevant as it ever was, although I suppose a five year hiatus hasn't helped its case much. Just you wait though, with Skyward Sword, it'll return to its old glory again!

SS looks like it's going to be worse then TP and TP sucked, i would rather just a MM remake on the 3DS

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Sony has Crash Bandicoot

AtlanticRock

Nope.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
Zelda and Mario games about princesses. No. Only company I can think of that's got Nintendo beat is Disney.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Sony has one but hasn't utilized it to the fullest of their ability

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy Boxshot

and MS had one but let the possiblities and promis slip

Blinx: The Time Sweeper Boxshot

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="Arach666"]

Dear God, not this again. Skyward Sword looks terrible. The Zelda series desperately needs a game to retain its status, and Skyward Sword ISN'T IT.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

[QUOTE="AtlanticRock"]

Sony has Crash Bandicoot

waltefmoney

Nope.

:x:x

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

SS looks like it's going to be worse then TP and TP sucked, i would rather just a MM remake on the 3DS

Twilight Princess did *not* suck by any stretch of the imagination.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts

Um...Halo? Unless your keeping to a specific genre?

High Seller, High Scorer, Legendary First game...

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="crippled_ram"] The series is as relevant as it ever was, although I suppose a five year hiatus hasn't helped its case much. Just you wait though, with Skyward Sword, it'll return to its old glory again!crippled_ram

for a Zelda game it was

crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crippled_ram
Um...Halo? Unless your keeping do a specific genre? walkingdream
Yes, I am actually! Halo is more like Microsoft's Mario.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
[QUOTE="walkingdream"]Um...Halo? Unless your keeping do a specific genre? crippled_ram

Ah ok well then no, nothing comes close to Zelda then really :P Fable had a chance with number 1. But after that it just fell away dramatically
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="spookykid143"]SS looks like it's going to be worse then TP and TP sucked, i would rather just a MM remake on the 3DS

for a Zelda game it was

And yet it was still better than most ther games on the market. Tells you something about the standard of the Zelda series, doesn't it?
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crippled_ram
[QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="walkingdream"]Um...Halo? Unless your keeping do a specific genre? walkingdream

Ah ok well then no, nothing comes close to Zelda then really :P Fable had a chance with number 1. But after that it just fell away dramatically

Yeah, that's what I thought. I actually think Fable could have been so much more. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fable games, and I enjoyed Fable 3 more than many other games last year, but I still think Microsoft's mismanagement has prmanently sabotaged that franchise.
Avatar image for LombaxWarrior11
LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LombaxWarrior11
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts
Sony needs to bring back Dark Cloud back. That game was amazing......
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
Sony's building the Uncharted franchise really well. If they handle it right, who knows, maybe ten years from now, it might become their "classic" and flagship franchise. Microsoft already has Halo, which may not be as big as Zelda, but it is still huge, and will be even bigger in a few years' time. Nothing beats Zelda and Mario, of course.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Microsoft had Kameo (Which could've been there Zelda) It was a good game the only problem was the Water Dungeon because the swimming controls were all messed up.

Sony had Dark Cloud.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

charizard1605

Dear God, not this again. Skyward Sword looks terrible. The Zelda series desperately needs a game to retain its status, and Skyward Sword ISN'T IT.

Microsoft's Zelda is Halo. There is no comprision to Fable and Zelda. Zelda is a way better fanchise and that's a fact.

Okay whatever you say charizard1605. People said Wind Waker looked terrible and look how awesome it was, it was the best GC game IMO. And Skyward Sword is it, you haven't played it yet, none of us have so how are going to say its not the Zelda game to put it back on the map. Another day, another troll.

LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LombaxWarrior11

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"] The series is as relevant as it ever was, although I suppose a five year hiatus hasn't helped its case much. Just you wait though, with Skyward Sword, it'll return to its old glory again!HaloPimp978

Microsoft's Zelda is Halo. There is no comprision to Fable and Zelda. Zelda is a way better fanchise and that's a fact.

Okay whatever you say charizard1605. People said Wind Waker looked terrible and look how awesome it was, it was the best GC game IMO. And Skyward Sword is it, you haven't played it yet, none of us have so how are going to say its not the Zelda game to put it back on the map. Another day, another troll.

HP is right, people doubted Wind Waker and look how amazing it was. Zelda have not failed to impress me yet, not going to start doubting them now.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

This gen Fable > this gen Zelda and I don't want to hear scores cause if Fable showed up on Wii in it's identical form ( Impossible :lol: ) it would be scored 11/10 for doing the ummm, Impossible. :P

Anyhoo, HALO, Forza & Gears seem to do the trick for MS.

LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LombaxWarrior11

This gen Fable > this gen Zelda and I don't want to hear scores cause if Fable showed up on Wii in it's identical form ( Impossible :lol: ) it would be scored 11/10 for doing the ummm, Impossible. :P

SecretPolice
I think the point is to find a game within the same genre as Zelda. A FPS, Racer, and TPS are not equal to a action/adventure.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="crippled_ram"][QUOTE="Arach666"]

I had to double read your post? Account hijacked? :P
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
well any company that has tried to replicate zelda has pretty much gone under. some even did very well in terms of quality (okami for example)....but the company still went under. some compare team ico games to zelda games but when you get down to it there quite different animals. so it seems that ninty know something that no one else seems to know about zelda type games.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

LombaxWarrior11

I think the point is to find a game within the same genre as Zelda. A FPS, Racer, and TPS are not equal to a action/adventure.

I duuno how but somehoww you missed the first sentence starting off with... This gen FABLE !! :shock:

:P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

LombaxWarrior11

What about Uncharted then? I would see where that would be considered action/adventure. I know it's multi plat, but I hope the new Tomb Raider game is awesome, last few haven't been.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7

SecretPolice

Fable isn't comparable to Zelda. Kameo is in the same genre as Zelda and it was great the only problem was I couldn't finish it because the Swimming controls were broken. But if they had that fixed then the game would've been great.

If Microsoft made it a series I would still have a 360 because that is Microsoft's only game that compared to Zelda.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Fable isn't comparable to Zelda. Kameo is in the same genre as Zelda and it was great the only problem was I couldn't finish it because the Swimming controls were broken. But if they had that fixed then the game would've been great.

If Microsoft made it a series I would still have a 360 because that is Microsoft's only game that compared to Zelda.

Splitting hairs FTW. :P

I hear ya and a Kameo 2 should be a no brain er as well as a new Conker, PD2, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Threeie and so on but I dunno what the hell their waiting for. I know, I know so before anyone says it.....

Kinect Sports Rocks. :twisted:

LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LombaxWarrior11
[QUOTE="LombaxWarrior11"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

Heil68

What about Uncharted then? I would see where that would be considered action/adventure. I know it's multi plat, but I hope the new Tomb Raider game is awesome, last few haven't been.

If we are talking flagship series, then it would be Mario being compared. But this is Zelda we're talking about, and when people hear Nintendo, they think Mario automatically (even though Zelda has the higher reviews.) And even though UC is considered a Ac/Ad, it cant be compared due to the fact that it only has 2 games in the series. However, if the 3rd proves to be as amazing as 2 was, then it WILL be established as Sony's "Zelda" in terms of quality. And the new Tomb Raider will be good, but since it's multiplat(which SW does not care about), it's not "mentionable".
LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LombaxWarrior11
I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.PurpleMan5000
Elaborate please, because as much as I love Nintendo, they milk more than any other dev,.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
There won't be a game exactly like Zelda on the other consoles, and if there were, everybody would be bashing it for being a rip-off. If you want Zelda, buy Nintendo consoles and play it.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I thought fable was like legend of zelda.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.LombaxWarrior11
Elaborate please, because as much as I love Nintendo, they milk more than any other dev,.

I think they mean they just keep making sequels to some of them too quickly. Look at Ratchet and Clank they had 10 games in 10 years.

But their was 2 years without a release in that series 2006 and 2010 But they made up for it by releasing 2 games in 2007 and 2 games in 2008.

LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LombaxWarrior11

[QUOTE="LombaxWarrior11"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.Nintendo_Ownes7

I think they mean they just keep making sequels to some of them too quickly. Look at Ratchet and Clank they had 10 games in 10 years.

But their was 2 years without a release in that series 2006 and 2010 But they made up for it by releasing 2 games in 2007 and 2 games in 2008.

Even though that is true, you can't ignore the fact that Mario has been reduced to evaporation due to all the games he's been in. I don't even wanna list the amount of "Mario" Series he's been in.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
I will admit, I don't think its possible for any non-nintendo platform to have something of Mario or Zelda quality (at least at their peak) there is just something special miyamoto mixes in that can't seem to be replicated.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.LombaxWarrior11

Sure, Nintendo uses a lot of the same ip's, but their games aren't even always in the same genre (2D vs. 3D, Paper Mario, etc.). Microsoft and Sony typically release the same ip with little to no changes 3-4 times in the same console gen. Nintendo has never released more than 2 Zelda games in a console gen, and while they did release 3 Super Mario Bros games in the 8-bit gen, Super Mario Bros. 2 was very different than Super Mario Bros 1 and 3. It just seems like with Sony and Microsoft, games in the same ip are pretty much the same game as earlier entries in the series. Nintendo uses the same ip's over and over, but they are almost always completely different games.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
3D dot game heroes? :Psoulitane
Nowhere near Zelda's quality, but still a fun game
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

...3d Dot Game Heroes is better than any Zelda since A Link to the Past. Just saying.

LombaxWarrior11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LombaxWarrior11
[QUOTE="LombaxWarrior11"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I think that Microsoft and Sony milk their ip's way too much to ever have one that will have the longevity of any of Nintendo's ip's. Kameo has a chance, if Microsoft ever decides to go back to it.PurpleMan5000

Sure, Nintendo uses a lot of the same ip's, but their games aren't even always in the same genre (2D vs. 3D, Paper Mario, etc.). Microsoft and Sony typically release the same ip with little to no changes 3-4 times in the same console gen. Nintendo has never released more than 2 Zelda games in a console gen, and while they did release 3 Super Mario Bros games in the 8-bit gen, Super Mario Bros. 2 was very different than Super Mario Bros 1 and 3. It just seems like with Sony and Microsoft, games in the same ip are pretty much the same game as earlier entries in the series. Nintendo uses the same ip's over and over, but they are almost always completely different games.

Correct-O, but only to an extent. Nintendo is Milking the Mario name and adding a new noun after it. From what I can tell, Sony never milked a PS3 series to death (Though I fear for Uncharted) , and Microsoft , sure, halo and Gears are exactly like their counterparts, but Reach ended off with a bang, and Gears ends this September. That's not as much milking as people make it out to be. However, if Sony did not take the FF franchise from Nintendo, who knows what would've happened to it.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Sony have Dark Cloud, Team Ico and 3D Dot Game Heroes, and had Okami on PS2 from Capcom. Also check out Legend Of Kay, Zelda fans, superficially similar and has Jamaican frogs :D Seriously turn off voices :| But play the game! So yeah, Sony done ok on that front. MS has Fable and Kameo which are kinda like Zelda but nowhere near quality.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="LombaxWarrior11"]Elaborate please, because as much as I love Nintendo, they milk more than any other dev,.LombaxWarrior11

Correct-O, but only to an extent. Nintendo is Milking the Mario name and adding a new noun after it. From what I can tell, Sony never milked a PS3 series to death (Though I fear for Uncharted) , and Microsoft , sure, halo and Gears are exactly like their counterparts, but Reach ended off with a bang, and Gears ends this September. That's not as much milking as people make it out to be. However, if Sony did not take the FF franchise from Nintendo, who knows what would've happened to it.

Well, I was simply stating that the other companies milk their ip's too much for them to have longevity, so Gears (actually a 3rd party ip that Microsoft doesn't own) ending would sort of support my argument. Final Fantasy is also 3rd party and Nintendo would have nothing to do with any milking of that series if it had stayed exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Honestly, I love the Uncharted series and think it has a ton of potential. I just wish Sony would slow down the release schedule. I didn't like Resistance or Killzone, and can't figure out for the life of me why Sony keeps cranking those games out, but apparently some people like them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

HaloPimp978
Me, a troll? Me trolling Zelda? Really now? See my avy, buddy. My most favorite game of all time is A Link to the Past. All the 3D Zelda games, including Twilight Princess, rank up in my top games of all time. I absolutely adored Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass. Hell, I just made a hype thread for Ocarina of Time 3D on this very forum. Zelda is my favorite gaming series- I won't troll it. What I will do, however, is call it out on it's failings, and those seem to have grown exponentially lately. People doubted Wind Waker, but that was only because of the graphical artsyIe. The criticism for Wind Waker was rooted in the belief that a game that didn't look realistic was automatically kiddy and dumbed down to appeal to what was perceived to be Nintendo's target audience. If anyone actually bothered to look past the prejudice surrounding the graphics, they'd have seen that the game was coming along just fine. Now let's look at Skyward Sword- EVERYTHING THEY'VE SHOWN US SO FAR IS UNDERWHELMING. The graphics are artistically speaking great, but they're a botched mess as far as technical aspects are concerned- muddy textures, poor draw distances, low res character models (except for Link). Gameplay? Everything's the same, EXCEPT for the added twist of controlling Zelda conventions with 1:1 motion. I'm sorry, but that isn't nearly enough to keep Zelda fresh. As I said, I love the series, but it needs to evolve a bit so that it can retain that sense of freshness that the N64 and Gamecube games inspired. Speaking of 1:1 motion, have you realized how tiring it would be to play Zelda with true motion controls? I don't want to have to stop playing every twenty minutes because my arm was aching. I'm playing the game to immerse myself in its world, not to get a stupid workout. And the gameworld. True enough, we haven't been shown much of it, but what we have been shown seems to be painfully, utterly limited. I really hope I am wrong with all this, you know. I WANT to be wrong, I want Skyward Sword to be so good that I am forced to eat my words. But you know what, I see no reason to believe that Skyward Sword will be anything short of an absolute disaster at this point in time. A fine way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the most hallowed franchise in gaming.
I had to double read your post? Account hijacked? :PHeil68
Oh no, I've been hating on Skyward Sword for a long time now. True, I will hype it simply because it's Zelda, but I expect it to be absolute bullcrap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

SecretPolice
Fable better than Zelda? Lol no, not by a long shot. Fable 2 was great, but 3 was bad, and 1 was great for its time, but it's aged badly. So even if you look at Fable this gen ONLY, one really bad game, and one great (but nothing exceptional, not even close to Twilight Princess) game does not make it better than Zelda.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

charizard1605

Fable better than Zelda? Lol no, not by a long shot. Fable 2 was great, but 3 was bad, and 1 was great for its time, but it's aged badly. So even if you look at Fable this gen ONLY, one really bad game, and one great (but nothing exceptional, not even close to Twilight Princess) game does not make it better than Zelda.

Eh, Opinions are like that - for instance... Fable 3 > Fable 2. :P