Can Hideo Kojima (ever) script a good story? (Spoilers)

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

So I was wondering, among your many subjective beliefs of what's good, depending on what you've played, where you live, what you find acceptable, etc., do you think Hideo Kojima, the man behind the Metal Gear Solid and Zone of Ender series can script a good story?

I personally think he has the talent to, but he's too compulsive in his pursuit of some brilliance that doesn't exist. MGS2's story was hurt by its pacing and silliness, MGS3's didn't have as thematic of an ending with me as others because it didn't focus on interesting plot points enough, and Peace Walker's cutscenes annoyed me to the point I skipped them, something I never do in video games.

Button mashing on a PSPgo didn't help either.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
MGS1 was as close to a good script as he'll ever get, every other MGS game since has had really bad writing in comparison
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

As far as video game standards go, I think hes alright.  Hell I'd even say hes good.  Barring MGS4 and Portable Ops, his stories always managed to entertain me.  MGS1, 2 and 3 were pretty great for vg stories at their time.

I think what Kojima really needs is a strong counter voice.  It seems that he has good ideas, but being subtle and concise are not parts of his tool set.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Tell me more about Portable Ops' story and why it was bad. I played PO+ as my first MGS game and then PO. Not knowing MGS was MGS, the story overwhelmed me so I went back to PO+.
Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

He did; it's called Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. And it's better than good, its great.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I think its one of the best video game stories in history. I'm a fan of the series though so I'm biased. I think MGS 3 in particular is particularly brilliant and thought provoking.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Maybe he'll find one in a closet while everyone's doing their work :P
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

At this rate? No. He needs an editor to look over his writing; someone to say "This doesn't work" and "Yo, you can't write for shit".

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Tell me more about Portable Ops' story and why it was bad. I played PO+ as my first MGS game and then PO. Not knowing MGS was MGS, the story overwhelmed me so I went back to PO+.Blabadon

Honestly, I havent played the game since back when it launched so I dont remember too much about it.  I just remember really not liking it at the time.  I remember some of the main things I disliked werent because of the story itself, but how the story fit into the universe.  It was the first MGS game to go retcon crazy.  Not only did they drastically change Frank Jaegers age to shoehorn him into the story, but they wrote him in as this ridiculous 'Null' character completely conflicts with Jaegers original history.  

Of course this is common place for the series now, MGS4 was loaded to the brim with similar retcons, some of them even worse.  I guess after MGS3, Kojima decided that consistency isnt really important.  

Anyways, the game isnt really fresh on my mind.  I'd need to give it another play, or watch the cutscenes again to give you my full list of issues, but I'd really rather not.  :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I think its one of the best video game stories in history. I'm a fan of the series though so I'm biased. I think MGS 3 in particular is particularly brilliant and thought provoking.

Ilovegames1992

this, except for maybe mgs 2 the rest have been great, mgs 3 in partciular was incredible and the ending one of the best in gaming history.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I love Metal Gear but I always have a hard time understanding the story due to so much exposition of relevant and irrelevant stuff. He gives too much detail about everything and then he makes such obvious mistakes like that scene in MGS4 with Raiden and the submarine or at the beginning when Snake fires a random gun without an ID. In MGS3, how many double crosses can one character do before whoever was writing the story thought that it was too much? :o

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

Nope, just garbage.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I really think Kojima's writing is a brilliant mix of comic, bizarre, serious and gripping.  And they never seem to interfere with each other.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ilovegames1992

I love Metal Gear but I always have a hard time understanding the story due to so much exposition of relevant and irrelevant stuff. He gives too much detail about everything and then he makes such obvious mistakes like that scene in MGS4 with Raiden and the submarine or at the beginning when Snake fires a random gun without an ID. In MGS3, how many double crosses can one character do before whoever was writing the story thought that it was too much? :o

Gue1

To be fair I like that whole everyone other than the main hero was a quadruple spy bullsh!t. Thats why Ocelot is possibly my fave video game characters ever. He's both extremely trecherous yet extremely loyal.

ManInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ManInFlames
Member since 2013 • 434 Posts
Yup. AAAAE GOTY MGS4 has the greatest story in video game history, probably on par with The Wire in terms of storytelling.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Yup. AAAAE GOTY MGS4 has the greatest story in video game history, probably on par with The Wire in terms of storytelling.ManInFlames

PWu1nsM.gif

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ilovegames1992

Gue1

To be fair I like that whole everyone other than the main hero was a quadruple spy bullsh!t. Thats why Ocelot is possibly my fave video game characters ever. He's both extremely trecherous yet extremely loyal.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
MGS2 was utterly fantastic and almost nobody noticed.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ilovegames1992

MGS2 was utterly fantastic and almost nobody noticed.foxhound_fox

I think i'm in the minority that loved that story. Even though it was super complex and dumb. The final third was just a quintessential fuk you' gamer mind screw. Spec Ops the Line tried shades of this without the total insanity and it worked well too.

Although MGS 2 had the Otacon crying for about 45 minutes in cutscenes. That's the one thing that was tiresome. 

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 drinkerofjuice
Nah. The story had interesting themes, sure. But it's completely squandered by the awful expository writing and embarrassingly convoluted structure.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59130 Posts

Group of misunderstood villains working for some major power behind the scenes. Same shit over and lol.

What is it in the next one? It seems a lady dressed like a hooker who is possibly deaf mute (or some bullcrap about a vow not to speak because is so sad) probably because a horny Japenese man dressed her up. And some dude who looks like a ripoff of Red Skull.

Srly, it's the same crap over and over.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ilovegames1992

Group of misunderstood villains working for some major power behind the scenes. Same shit over and lol.

What is it in the next one? It seems a lady dressed like a hooker who is possibly deaf mute (or some bullcrap about a vow not to speak because is so sad) probably because a horny Japenese man dressed her up. And some dude who looks like a ripoff of Red Skull.

uninspiredcup

Judging a game before its even come out and on the basis of a trailer. 

I love this forum.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59130 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Ilovegames1992

Judging a game before its even come out and on the basis of a trailer. 

I love this forum.

Yea, like i'm wrong.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the true genius of kojima is how self aware he is of the cheese that's spread all over the script, and how aware he is that he's writing for a videogame. NANOMACHINES, SON.
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

He did; it's called Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater. And it's better than good, its great.

Shensolidus

I loved MGS3 as much as the next guy, but the story in it was asinine; it threw like three twists into the plot in the last minutes of the game. That's not good storytelling. I doubt Kojima will ever create a game with a deep, meaningful story as most of the inspiration he gets seems to be derived from anime/manga, which is almost universally idiotic--idiotic in a bad way. 

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
MGS1 was as close to a good script as he'll ever get, every other MGS game since has had really bad writing in comparisonprinceofshapeir
I agree with this. I think all the games have a good story, but the way that they are told is what kinda sucks.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
No. He's never shown the ability to write dialogue that isn't corny. Endearing for its cheese sure, but definitely corny.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts
MGS3 is the only MG story that I think is good. MGS2 got convoluted as all hell. Not sure what to say on Peace Walker though.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
This bastard makes more cutscenes than David Cage ! The Injustice !
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

Ilovegames1992
Wrong ! Just because the story is in a video game does not make it the best video game story. He's stories are delivered in none interactive ways, constantly sacrificing player agency ! Don't get me wrong, I hear they are good. But they are irrelevant to an interactive medium. That selfish bastard !
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
I like to think that he didn't think he would be writing sequels so trying to make things make sense for the other games was probably hard. But that's just what I think. i watching a LP of MGS 4 and the player said that apparently someone else suggested nanomachines.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
No. He's never shown the ability to write dialogue that isn't corny. Endearing for its cheese sure, but definitely corny. jg4xchamp
but isn't intentionally corny dialogue to the point it's entertaining a sign of quality? :P
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

........ in the end its a video game.

kingoflife9
Barely !
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Having just finished MGS4 this afternoon and thus the numbered games in the series, started watching at 1:30 watched the ending until 3:00 (final boss fight which was basically a cutscene and then epilogue), I can finally voice my opinion on the fact that the games are mostly just melodramatic dribble that is drawn out at the expense of gameplay in most cases, especially MGS4. I liked the bosses in the games; those characters were cool to fight, but the story itself was poorly written and littered with juvenile jokes.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I don't think Kojima problem is in scripting. He's just terrible director. 

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ive enjoyed the mgs stories. as long as they are entertaining, i dont care how good the structure/whatever is.
NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

I think he's decent... his writting may often be cheesy, convoluted and whatever, yet I still find it entertaining... as long as I don't overthink it. Then, things quickly start falling apart...

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

I think he's decent... his writting may often be cheesy, convoluted and whatever, yet I still find it entertaining... as long as I don't overthink it. Then, things quickly start falling apart...

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Well as he had to tie all the crazy plots left by the earlier games together in MGS4 and he really could't write his way out of it in a believable way so he just bombarded us with an endless stream of insanity until most normal humans gave up an skipped that shit all together .

Next time please hire a sane editor Kojima !

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I enjoyed Kojima's earlier works like Snatcher and Policenauts.

While both games had their issues in writing they were less apparant than the dribble in the MGS series.

I especially hate the parts with tons of technobabble.

Those parts sound so stupid when used in a script because any normal human wouldn't talk like that.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

What are you talking about, MGS is the best series in videogames.

MGS4 is the GOTG (inb4 mad GTAV fans :cry: )

Kojima is truly a genius. I actually praise him every time I wake up in the morning.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

His stories are entertaining, sort of like those 80s action movies, with but better characters.

They're not incredibly good, but they are incredibly memorable.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

For videogame standards he's decent, though not saying much

MGS2 though is such a terribly misunderstood game that has a LOT of layers to it that went over the heads of many when it launched cos they were too busy hating Raiden. If you look at some videos dissecting that game you'll realise how smart it really is

MGS3 is far less subtle but still really well done and so is MGS1 to a certain extent (psycho mantis is awesome) 

MGS4 is a pile of hot shit

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Does he need to? He makes the plot extremely entertaining despite the story itself being a mess.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

MGS2 though is such a terribly misunderstood game that has a LOT of layers to it that went over the heads of many

seanmcloughlin

The f*ck out of here, it is glorified drivel being paraded around as something profound. It's a complete mess of lame attempts at trying to say something for the sake of saying something, while being completely oblivious of the narrative you actually create. Which honestly would be offensive to pulp narrative, to call it pulp narrative.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 drinkerofjuice

MGS2 though is such a terribly misunderstood game that has a LOT of layers to it that went over the heads of many when it launched cos they were too busy hating Raiden. If you look at some videos dissecting that game you'll realise how smart it really isseanmcloughlin
I've said this before: The problem with MGS2's story isn't Raiden, but instead it's literally every single thing surrounding him. There's absolutely no excuse anybody can make about that game. The fact that people find it to be "misunderstood" leads me to believe that the standards for video game stories is even lower than I thought.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]MGS2 though is such a terribly misunderstood game that has a LOT of layers to it that went over the heads of many when it launched cos they were too busy hating Raiden. If you look at some videos dissecting that game you'll realise how smart it really isdrinkerofjuice

I've said this before: The problem with MGS2's story isn't Raiden, but instead it's literally every single thing surrounding him. There's absolutely no excuse anybody can make about that game. The fact that people find it to be "misunderstood" leads me to believe that the standards for video game stories is even lower than I thought.

This. I don't hate Raiden. Never did (even though I started a bit on the wrong side with him, he grew on me well enough to name an Elder Scrolls: Oblivion weapon after him), but my goodness, MGS2 had way too large of a convoluted plot. It was an entire brain f*** that moved around too damn much.

That and Rosemary...