Boy I miss the days of games like Super Mario World and many more..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
I do agree games are looking rather impressive from an art perspective but boy how I miss them days of Super Mario World taking you on a classical adventure and many other Mario games even Donkey Kong Country in the past.I also miss games such as Marvel vs Capcom fighters and many more.I feel gaming is dieing in that sense with them type of experiences in which Im missing just so much cause them games just brought that classical feel either its music, feel ect.I never woulded thought with games now that you finish them and never go back to em and also they getting to become time consuming to achieve great satisfaction.Im at the point to making my own games using tools to create them type of games in the past.Feel free to comment and add-on...
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
Go play Halo!

(Joke).
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts
Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OoSuperMarioO

Maybe this will give you memories of what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBpyFYMfDDU

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.Firelore29

If you think that is hard (not hard in difficulty, but you know what I mean), try playing Tibia.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts
whats wrong with New super mari bros?!
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

[QUOTE="Firelore29"]Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.bleehum

If you think that is hard (not hard in difficulty, but you know what I mean), try playing Tibia.

Do you mean hard as in not committing sucide in real when you loose 10 hours of playtime because of dying of random server kick?

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OoSuperMarioO
Even titles such as Punch Out or Metal Slug is what's missing in the game industry now IMO, again Im not the professional just basing my outlook on the industry.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Donkey Kong Country was by far the best platformer ever.

Then came Donkey kong 64/racing >> , and then Knog bonga or whatever it is ... now

Now some stupid Donkey Kong racing konga game for the Wii...

I ABSOULETELY HATE NINTENDO... they screw up every one of thier classic franchises with stupid kiddy alterations.

Prime example - Starfox 1 = great , Starfox 64 = great ... then came ... Star Fox adventure ... platformer? WTF? What the hell is wrong with them!?

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hyruledweller

Then came Donkey kong 64/racing >> , and then Knog bonga or whatever it is ... now

I ABSOULETELY HATE NINTENDO... they screw up every one of thier classic franchises with stupid kiddy alterations.

Prime example - Starfox 1 = great , Starfox 64 = great ... then came ... Star Fox adventure ... platformer? WTF? What the hell is wrong with them!?

Meu2k7

I actually thought Starfox Adventures were brilliant and greatly underrated.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meu2k7
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

hyruledweller

As an adventure game? I dont really care if it was good ... thats the point, they change the genre of thier games so often its just not funny ...

I played Starfox for its space shooter, a very good version of it aswell ... litterally nearly non-existant today ... but to my suprise ... out game yet another Nintendo platform game :roll:.

Thats my point.

Why did Donkey Kong? an amazing platformer ... turn into - Racing and worst of all ... a gimmicky bongos game?

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO

You gus/girls remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxn3g9qbF3Q

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Meu2k7

OoSuperMarioO

Ofcourse :D ... amazing game , makes me kinda interested in the Wii's one aswell.

samusarmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 samusarmada
Member since 2005 • 5816 Posts
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Meu2k7

As an adventure game? I dont really care if it was good ... thats the point, they change the genre of thier games so often its just not funny ...

I played Starfox for its space shooter, a very good version of it aswell ... litterally nearly non-existant today ... but to my suprise ... out game yet another Nintendo platform game :roll:.

Thats my point.

Why did Donkey Kong? an amazing platformer ... turn into - Racing and worst of all ... a gimmicky bongos game?

donkey kong jungle beat was supposed to be pretty good (the platformer that used the bongos)

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

Meu2k7

Ofcourse :D ... amazing game , makes me kinda interested in the Wii's one aswell.

I will love to get a Wii when they release more first party support but at them times you didnt need online play to get amazing experience and majority of these things like being call noobs, casual gamer or hardocre really didnt exist like it is today due to how much fun them titles brought to the home.Hell it wasnt even as graphic as it was now but it was only a matter of time for realistic games to break through to the market but you begining to see now what impact they having on the business and its certainlty not a good one.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OoSuperMarioO
Let me just clear up some things, its great to have shooters dont get me wrong Goldeneye was super fun and is definalty a classic but there's just way to many shooters and bad ones to say the very least and its ruin my taste for gaming atm espically when other genres are just flat out terrible.
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hyruledweller

Let me just clear up some things, its great to have shooters dont get me wrong Goldeneye was super fun and is definalty a classic but there's just way to many shooters and bad ones to say the very least and its ruin my taste for gaming atm espically when other genres are just flat out terrible.OoSuperMarioO

Noticed this happened when the Xbox arrived...

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="bleehum"]

[QUOTE="Firelore29"]Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.omgimba

Do you mean hard as in not committing sucide in real when you loose 10 hours of playtime because of dying of random server kick?

Yup, any time you die.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

OoSuperMarioO

I will love to get a Wii when they release more first party support but at them times you didnt need online play to get amazing experience and majority of these things like being call noobs, casual gamer or hardocre really didnt exist like it is today due to how much fun them titles brought to the home.Hell it wasnt even as graphic as it was now but it was only a matter of time for realistic games to break through to the market but you begining to see now what impact they having on the business and its certainlty not a good one.

i completely agree with you. In the past, gamers did not care for graphics, AI, physics,etc. just fun. if a game is fun then its great but if its not then its bad. It was simple as that in the past. there were no stereotypes of "casual", "noobs" and "hardcore" back then if i'm not mistaken. i hate online play. its mostly full of idiotic, disrespectful gamers who play to win not play for fun.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

lordlors

i completely agree with you. In the past, gamers did not care for graphics, AI, physics,etc. just fun. if a game is fun then its great but if its not then its bad. It was simple as that in the past. there were no stereotypes of "casual", "noobs" and "hardcore" back then if i'm not mistaken. i hate online play. its mostly full of idiotic, disrespectful gamers who play to win not play for fun.

Couldnt agree with you more bud, I guess all we can do is wait and see how far the gaming business will go with these concept of ideas they bringing into the market.IMO I think its gonna fall like the comic book business at some point unless we see some great changes and risk taking by developers to bring a new.
chadwardennn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chadwardennn
Member since 2007 • 883 Posts

Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.Firelore29

Those were designflaws. Super Mario World was a LOT easier than the first 3 Marios (SMB1, SMB2 and SMB3) but more fun.
What fun is it in dying 20 times in a row, just because certain parts in a lvl requires u to jump in a stupid way to avoid falling into a bottemless pit. Of course u will get a sense of accomplishment after the frustration of dying loike 20-30 times.

Ow, and play emulators if u dont like the "shallow" games of today.

chadwardennn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chadwardennn
Member since 2007 • 883 Posts
[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

lordlors

What age were u? 2? Graphics always mattered. And i've been gaming since 1985.

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts

Super Mario the lost levels, it took me like 50 times on average for each lvl untill I finally beat it. I sometimes went through the castles so many times I could run and jump through it in seconds.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
If you want old school go play old school or buy a DS/GBA.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OoSuperMarioO

Im 18 years of age and probably game on every console to exist.Also this is what you find mostly on online games such as xbox live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7R-H81vtAI Its really sad seriously and I find this to happen occasionaly.Heres another link btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYJA2pcvyw&mode=related&search=

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Theres far too many generic games than original, unique games out there
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

hyruledweller

Me as well.

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts

I do agree games are looking rather impressive from an art perspective but boy how I miss them days of Super Mario World taking you on a classical adventure and many other Mario games even Donkey Kong Country in the past.I also miss games such as Marvel vs Capcom fighters and many more.I feel gaming is dieing in that sense with them type of experiences in which Im missing just so much cause them games just brought that classical feel either its music, feel ect.I never woulded thought with games now that you finish them and never go back to em and also they getting to become time consuming to achieve great satisfaction.Im at the point to making my own games using tools to create them type of games in the past.Feel free to comment and add-on...OoSuperMarioO

I completely agree with you mate. I know the feeling and to this day those old games are still better then anything we see today

amourkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 amourkiss
Member since 2003 • 1751 Posts

I do agree games are looking rather impressive from an art perspective but boy how I miss them days of Super Mario World taking you on a classical adventure and many other Mario games even Donkey Kong Country in the past.I also miss games such as Marvel vs Capcom fighters and many more.I feel gaming is dieing in that sense with them type of experiences in which Im missing just so much cause them games just brought that classical feel either its music, feel ect.I never woulded thought with games now that you finish them and never go back to em and also they getting to become time consuming to achieve great satisfaction.Im at the point to making my own games using tools to create them type of games in the past.Feel free to comment and add-on...OoSuperMarioO

go get a Wii

they still produce the same games you mentioned

MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts

[QUOTE="Firelore29"]Games are simply to easy these days. If someone dies 3 times on a level it's give up time. Back in the day you got a real sense of accomplishment from beatinga game like Super Mario World because it was no cake walk.chadwardennn

Those were designflaws. Super Mario World was a LOT easier than the first 3 Marios (SMB1, SMB2 and SMB3) but more fun.
What fun is it in dying 20 times in a row, just because certain parts in a lvl requires u to jump in a stupid way to avoid falling into a bottemless pit. Of course u will get a sense of accomplishment after the frustration of dying loike 20-30 times.

Ow, and play emulators if u dont like the "shallow" games of today.

The problem with knowing that it's hard to die in a game (Lost Planet) is that you don't have the pressure to play well. This pressure is what made old games enjoyable, like R-Type or BattleToads. Eventually, you could beat those games without getting a continue or even without dying once, but only after getting good on that game. Now, when you are really getting good on a game, it finishes. And they're so long you don't want to play it again. That's the most frustating part of the last games.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]I do agree games are looking rather impressive from an art perspective but boy how I miss them days of Super Mario World taking you on a classical adventure and many other Mario games even Donkey Kong Country in the past.I also miss games such as Marvel vs Capcom fighters and many more.I feel gaming is dieing in that sense with them type of experiences in which Im missing just so much cause them games just brought that classical feel either its music, feel ect.I never woulded thought with games now that you finish them and never go back to em and also they getting to become time consuming to achieve great satisfaction.Im at the point to making my own games using tools to create them type of games in the past.Feel free to comment and add-on...amourkiss

go get a Wii

they still produce the same games you mentioned

What games you currently own on your Wii bud?
Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts

I'm sorry, but when games have dumb feature like touch damage, overly-impossible bosses which require tremendous luck the X times around because you have to figure out how to hit their cheap ass, and punish you by deleting your whole progress instead of up toa checkpoint, that's not difficult. That's idiotic.

I'll stick with my non-touch-damage games.