Boss fights . . . why do most of these genuinely blow

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

First off, I'm not saying "all" boss fights suck, everything has exceptions yes I know blah blah blah spare me.

The majority of boss fights in video games blow imo (so that if it wasn't clear before, I'm speaking from my personal experiences).

When I think boss fight, I think of a challenge that requires you to use your entire arsenal of skills to overcome a difficult adversary. Something that requires the player essentially be at the skill level the game requires of him/her to successfully meet upcoming challenges. The vast majority of games I've played actually blow at this. Boss fights become "hit stupidly obvious weak point" rinse and repeat" or, "now you are playing a puzzle game, have fun". Hell sometimes its "do exactly what you were doing on every other enemy before except heal more and hit it longer than a normal enemy". Now I understand for some games this is alright (context is everything right?) but far too many games and developers just suck ass at creating engaging boss fights. Its better to have no boss fights than shiitty boss fights 9 times out of 10. (you all know what games I'm talking about) I'm also not insisting that the fight needs to be "hard", it just needs to engagae the player and have them employ tactics to a higher degree than the challenges before it. Discuss.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts
* See Repetitive Pattern * Follow Repetitive Pattern * ???? * Win
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ActicEdge

* See Repetitive Pattern * Follow Repetitive Pattern * ???? * WinStevo_the_gamer

Pretty much :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

So true, there are so many boss fights that are unnecessarily hard or just don't feel fresh. One example being the Uncharted boss fights where you're engaging in a QTE 80% of the timeor doing the same thing over and over again. It has nothing to do with the skill you've accumulated from playing the game.

I'd say that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two current gengames that do boss fights right. You are forced to develop tactics for each boss and use weapons and resistances to take them down, it's challenging and requires skill. That's how boss fights should be like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
But that would make less people buy the products out of difficulty.... and we cant have that now can we :roll:
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#6 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts
I too have felt like many boss fights were just tacked on.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ActicEdge

But that would make less people buy the products out of difficulty.... and we cant have that now can we :roll:MBirdy88

As I said in the opening, the fight doesn't have to be hard. The point is that the boss is suppose to have you use tactics you should have developed by playing the game (if the game had you playing right). A child's game or a game aimed at everyone can be easy but still have great boss fights. Good boss fights don't equate to deep gameplay.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts

If you are only investing your time in Nintendo bosses, than I can see how you would feel this way. Might I suggest your try your hand at some...

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

Demon's/Dark Souls ...bosses, just to start off with.

Or...Shadow of the Colossus. Every fight is an epic boss fight.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Excluding God of War 3, most of the boss fights from this gen are forgettable.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I just recently replayed the Megaman Zero games, and I got a quick (read: brutal)refresher lesson on what a boss battle is supposed to be.

Damn good games.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Demonjoe93

If you are only investing your time in Nintendo bosses, than I can see how you would feel this way. Might I suggest your try your hand at some...

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ispeakfact
Super Mario Galaxy's bosses werent very good (except for that shadow thing in SMG1), but Twilight Princess had some pretty good bosses, like that dragon.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ispeakfact

Yeah I'd say all of these games have some amazing boss fights.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Demon's/Dark Souls, God of War 3, Bayonettta, MGS4, DMC4, and Ninja Gaiden have definitely had the best bosses this gen

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
A lot of developers just kind of throw a boss fight in because it's meant to be a climactic moment but either can't be arsed to play test it to make it challenging or can't come up with an idea that makes the boss actually worth having. Rather than being a skill/stat gate, something unique or a meaningful fight a lot of boss fights are just kind of...there. I've noticed this becoming more common this gen. Obviously it's going to be more difficult to come up with a unique idea for the fight at this point but damn I swear half of these bosses in games these days are push overs.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
A good boss fight is indeed something hard to do without resulting into the repetitive process that Stevo described. I think the pinnacle of the boss fight lies with The End in MGS3. It challenged the player to use the core game mechanics with a high level of skill while at the same time presenting a unique challenge not found anywhere else in the game. Of course you can skip it entirely by either killing him off earlier in the game at a very specific point, or just waiting a week in real-time after you initiate the boss fight and let him die of old age (lol).
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActicEdge

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ispeakfact

GoW boss fights are not all that good though they are above average. I've played SotC, (its one of my favourite games though it runs like a piece of crap on the PS2) and I agree its has amazing boss fights though I hardly count it because that's the entire games point. Its nothing without those, like actually nothing. I refuse to touch Mehtal Gear Solid with a 10 foot pool, not for me. why everyone thinks I only ever play Nintendo games I'll never know.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ispeakfact
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]A good boss fight is indeed something hard to do without resulting into the repetitive process that Stevo described. I think the pinnacle of the boss fight lies with The End in MGS3. It challenged the player to use the core game mechanics with a high level of skill while at the same time presenting a unique challenge not found anywhere else in the game. Of course you can skip it entirely by either killing him off earlier in the game at a very specific point, or just waiting a week in real-time after you initiate the boss fight and let him die of old age (lol).

I just did that fight a few nights ago. Yep, such a great fight of cat and mouse. Some of my friends advanced their console clocks ahead to let him die of old age. That's just flat out dumb lol! Being able to get behind him and hold him up is epic.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

Demonjoe93

Super Mario Galaxy's bosses werent very good (except for that shadow thing in SMG1), but Twilight Princess had some pretty good bosses, like that dragon.

SMG1 had pretty good boss battles, its not suppose to be hard but they did challenge your abilities which is the point. The problem with the SMG series as a whole with boss battles is how you fight the same version of bowser 3 times. Its unnecessary. Change it up or do it once. SMG2 improved one the general boss battles besides the bowser repetition thing. Gobbleguts for example was a good example of what I'm talking about. Mario series as a whole has trouble with boss battles, which is why Yoshi's Island is still the best in the series regarding bosses.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ActicEdge

GoW boss fights are not all that good though they are above average. I've played SotC, (its one of my favourite games though it runs like a piece of crap on the PS2) and I agree its has amazing boss fights though I hardly count it because that's the entire games point. Its nothing without those, like actually nothing. I refuse to touch Mehtal Gear Solid with a 10 foot pool, not for me. why everyone thinks I only ever play Nintendo games I'll never know.

Interesting. I've heard gamers say Kratos is emo, annoying, hack and slash is repetitive. But, I can't say I've ever heard someone say that the bosses weren't good, but to each his own. Have you played all the games through? I'd like to hear your take on some of the bosses.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

All of the crappy boss fights from this generation were made up for in 1 game.

God of War III.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
The Mr. Freeze boss fight in Arkham City was pretty cool. There was no pattern of attack, and you were forced to vary your moves to deal damage to him. There should be more boss fights like that.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"][QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ActicEdge

SMG1 had pretty good boss battles, its not suppose to be hard but they did challenge your abilities which is the point. The problem with the SMG series as a whole with boss battles is how you fight the same version of bowser 3 times. Its unnecessary. Change it up or do it once. SMG2 improved one the general boss battles besides the bowser repetition thing. Gobbleguts for example was a good example of what I'm talking about. Mario series as a whole has trouble with boss battles, which is why Yoshi's Island is still the best in the series regarding bosses.

I hated that about SMG2. The Baby Bowser fights changed but the Bowser fights changed very little, even the final boss.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I think my all time favorite boss fight has to be the fight with The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. Its one huge game of cat and mouse where you have to hide and search using all your gear. The best part is all the awesome little secrets, like being able to hold him up or catch his parrot or use a directional microphone to find him. Plus its also extra shameful that being shot down means not dying, but spawning in a jail cell and having to work your way to his area all over again.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Metal Gear Solid ispeakfact

MGS1 and 2 had some great boss fights, 3 had only a handful, and 4's only good boss fight was against Liquid Ocelot. Not to mention the way to beat each boss is straight up told to you by using your Codec, and from then on it's repeat pattern until boss am ded.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

ispeakfact

Interesting. Can't say I've ever heard someone say that before, but to each his own. Have you played all the games through? I'd like to hear your take on some of the bosses.

Played 1 and some of 3. I am still on the side that thinks GoW just doesn't have good enough combat for its genre. Compare GoW to something like Ninja Gaiden, DMC or Bayonetta and I think the combat hold it back. I suppose though, I should say they are good but could be better. GoW bosses atleast are interesting. (Zeus at the end of 2 was pretty epic and fun and I liked the hydra thing in 1)

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

It is nice when a boss fight is actually challenging, but unless the boss fights are downright bad (ie broken like I hear they are in deus ex hr), then they're still at least fun if for no other reason than looking cool and breaking up the pace of the game a bit.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

So true, there are so many boss fights that are unnecessarily hard or just don't feel fresh. One example being the Uncharted boss fights where you're engaging in a QTE 80% of the timeor doing the same thing over and over again. It has nothing to do with the skill you've accumulated from playing the game.

I'd say that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two current gengames that do boss fights right. You are forced to develop tactics for each boss and use weapons and resistances to take them down, it's challenging and requires skill. That's how boss fights should be like.

XVision84
Except for that damn false king in Demon's Souls. Man, I can't even fathom how many times I died on that Ahole. He was cheap, cheap, cheap.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Demonjoe93"] Super Mario Galaxy's bosses werent very good (except for that shadow thing in SMG1), but Twilight Princess had some pretty good bosses, like that dragon.Demonjoe93

I hated that about SMG2. The Baby Bowser fights changed but the Bowser fights changed very little, even the final boss.

Its pretty much my favourite game ever since Yoshi's island but that aspect is annoying. You go through this amazingly designed level to fight a barely altered version of bowser.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Didn't Edios outsource the bossfights in Deus Ex: HR?

I've never really seen a good bossfight in a shooter, or most other genre... but beat 'em ups do pretty well on them, 'least DMC 1, 3, 4 and Bayonetta

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Metal Gear Solid princeofshapeir

MGS1 and 2 had some great boss fights, 3 had only a handful, and 4's only good boss fight was against Liquid Ocelot. Not to mention the way to beat each boss is straight up told to you by using your Codec, and from then on it's repeat pattern until boss am ded.

Nah, the boss fights in MGS4 were pretty epic. Especially against Screaming Mantis. That was pretty freaky. Then fighting in Rex while Ocelot was in Ray. That was awesome. Definitely some killer bosses in that game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

God of War III.

arkephonic

Super Mario Galaxy series had some terrible boss fights this gen. [spoiler] And they were all from Bowser. [/spoiler]

Edit: Whoops! Misread your post. :P Sorry about that. My bad.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Interesting. Can't say I've ever heard someone say that before, but to each his own. Have you played all the games through? I'd like to hear your take on some of the bosses.

Played 1 and some of 3. I am still on the side that thinks GoW just doesn't have good enough combat for its genre. Compare GoW to something like Ninja Gaiden, DMC or Bayonetta and I think the combat hold it back. I suppose though, I should say they are good but could be better. GoW bosses atleast are interesting. (Zeus at the end of 2 was pretty epic and fun and I liked the hydra thing in 1)

Ok, so you really haven't experienced enough GoW to really get a take on the boss battles. I'd suggest you give them a try. If anything is consistent as far as what is said about the GoW series, is that it has some of the best boss battles in gaming.
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ispeakfact
[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

God of War III.

nintendoboy16
Super Mario Galaxy series had some terrible boss fights this gen. [spoiler] And they were all from Bowser. [/spoiler]

I think you misunderstood what he was implying.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

God of War III.

nintendoboy16

Lol, I found it that it was annoying because it was repeated. The first fight with Bowser in SMG is epic and same with 2, the following like 3 times aren't.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Nah, the boss fights in MGS4 were pretty epic. Especially against Screaming Mantis. That was pretty freaky. Then fighting in Rex while Ocelot in in Ray. That was awesome. Definitely some killer bosses in that game.

I thought Screaming Mantis way too easy. If I remember correctly it's just shooting at her until she drops her dolls, then picking them up and throwing them at her, and then she's dead. I forgot to mention Crying Wolf; that was another great one and a really cool homage to Sniper Wolf. The first encounter with the FROGS was cool too. But Rex vs. Ray ended up being way shorter than I expected, and far too easy.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts
Well not every game can be GOW or MGS :P Those franchises have amazing bosses, and some literal ones
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="arkephonic"]

God of War III.

ispeakfact

I think you misunderstood what he was implying.

Whoops! Perhaps I did. :P
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]

Nah, the boss fights in MGS4 were pretty epic. Especially against Screaming Mantis. That was pretty freaky. Then fighting in Rex while Ocelot in in Ray. That was awesome. Definitely some killer bosses in that game.

I thought 4 had the weakest boss fights in the series. The only interesting ones where against Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ace6301

I think my all time favorite boss fight has to be the fight with The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. Its one huge game of cat and mouse where you have to hide and search using all your gear. The best part is all the awesome little secrets, like being able to hold him up or catch his parrot or use a directional microphone to find him. Plus its also extra shameful that being shot down means not dying, but spawning in a jail cell and having to work your way to his area all over again.

SPYDER0416
MGS3 in general had really cool boss fights. If you're on new game plus you can pull out your SAA during the Ocelot fight and challenge him to a duel or a spinning revolver trick challenge sort of thing. You could give The Fear food poisoning or make him eat a poison dart frog to sap his health. You could kill The End before you ever fought him if you picked up a sniper rifle before a certain cutscene. The fury was simple but for the time I remember being really impressed by the way the flames worked. Volgin you could distract by putting the Raikov mask on but he'd become more aggressive for the rest of the fight. You could also use a tree frog to distract him or a glowing mushroom to absorb his electricity for a certain amount of time. The Boss is again simple but it just manages to feel so cinematic and well...final.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 princeofshapeir

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

AcidSoldner

I thought 4 had the weakest boss fights in the series. The only interesting ones where against Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis.

Raging Raven was pretty good too. The boss fights were okay, but they were nowhere near the level of the previous games. They lacked that real emotional, epic feeling, and all of the Beauty and the Beast corps are annoying and silly antagonists with no real significance.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Its been like this for years in gaming.I havent ran into a boss fight that makes me use all my equipment I gained. The only close one was mega man and even then you can still use your pellet gun and win. Bosses are always just about pattern and hit the weak point or when the time is right. To me a fun boss fight is something that feels epic and keeps you moving. Recent example binary domain has some great fun boss fights. I looked forward to every single one and had a blast with each one.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

AcidSoldner

I actually feel 3 had the weakest boss fights. With the final fight and proboly the end standing out. Also lack of background to the bosses which was a thing that was in ever other MGS I played hurt it as well.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zaibach

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="ispeakfact"] Nah, the boss fights in MGS4 were pretty epic. Especially against Screaming Mantis. That was pretty freaky. Then fighting in Rex while Ocelot in in Ray. That was awesome. Definitely some killer bosses in that game.princeofshapeir

Raging Raven was pretty good too. The boss fights were okay, but they were nowhere near the level of the previous games. They lacked that real emotional, epic feeling, and all of the Beauty and the Beast corps are annoying and silly antagonists with no real significance.

false, they carried an identity which had a throw back to previous bosses in the previous games octopus raven Wolf Mantis The beauty and beast corp were new to the arc, they wouldnt have as much emotional resonance as the old guards
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't know if I'd necssarily say a majority of boss battles blow, but yeah, not a whole lot really "wow" me.

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I thought 4 had the weakest boss fights in the series. The only interesting ones where against Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis.Zaibach

false, they carried an identity which had a throw back to previous bosses in the previous games octopus raven Wolf Mantis The beauty and beast corp were new to the arc, they wouldnt have as much emotional resonance as the old guards

True. They were each sort of a reference to MGS1 characters, if I remember correctly. Vulcan Raven Decoy Octopus Sniper Wolf Psycho Mantis (who makes an appearance after Screaming.)
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ace6301

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I thought 4 had the weakest boss fights in the series. The only interesting ones where against Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis.Zaibach

They're also significant thematically. As the series goes on chronologically there's a replacement of natural ability (Cobras) to outright fake (B&B) with Foxhound and Dead cell falling in between those lines (Vamp and fortune both still had supernatural abilities that were being altered through technology. Sure they weren't up to snuff for the series but they made sense as to why they were there. More on topic MGS4 also has at least 1 really awesome boss fight: [spoiler] Metal Gear Rex Vs Ray. Seriously you finally get to use one of the damn things and it's AWESOME [/spoiler]
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 princeofshapeir

They were all insane childs of war that looked pretty and had great butts stuck in giant robot suits that oozed semen.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AcidSoldner

I refuse to touch Mehtal Gear Solid with a 10 foot pool, not for me.

ActicEdge

Talking about great boss fights and having never played MGS? Wuh...?

The least you can do is buy MGS2:Substance and MGS3:Subsistence and experience the boss fights only through the "Boss Rush/Survival" modes.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaibach

They were all insane childs of war that looked pretty and had great butts stuck in giant robot suits that oozed semen.

well, thats another way of putting it, semen or not, they were great boss fights