Bloodborne - first 3rd prty excl to pay off? More for Sony?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45107 Posts

It's a pretty rare thing these days to have a third party exclusive, but Bloodborne may actually be the first of its kind to actually pay off for the system. Bayonetta 2 and Sunset Overdrive are fantastic games, but were hardly on the sales charts, if at all. With the recent success of Bloodborne, and with Sony's massive success with the system, do you expect more third party exclusive gems for PS4? I do, especially from Japan. I feel that Sony has shown a willingness to fund interesting projects and market them as long as they have potential. A lot of this potential will probably come from Japan where Sony has an easy advantage. Would be interesting to see any Western devs that jump ship. What say you, SW?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

boring

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

If the devs feel Sony, or MS and nintendo, are good bets to fund a project and sacrifcing other audiances can pay off, they will.

Who? have no clue

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Epic and their highly acclaimed muti million dollar sellers Gears Of War franchise comes to mind. :o Sony as always just following MS's lead. :P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Game couldn't have worked on the One

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

The strong sales can only help with future games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It's not a third party exclusive, but sure?

I definitely do expect more exclusive third party Japanese support for the PS4, though. With a weak Nintendo, where else would they go after all?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Game couldn't have worked on the One

Probably bait but i'll bite, why wouldn't it work on the Xbone?.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Well seeing how both consoles have had a few 1st/3rd party flops, I don't think 1 hit is going to change things that much.

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

More to come from other 3rd parties as well as more from From. Would be pretty cool if Superman made a return.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Who cares...... multiplatform is still a better option for 3rd Parties.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

As of right now it's really not looking good for the bone looking into future projects.

Scalebound, when released, is literally going to be the single determining factor of whether 3rd party Japanese devs will consider making any high profile games exclusives for MS in the future.

Until Scalebound is received, I don't see any other japanese devs even considering the idea of giving xbone exclusive or even equal priority on games and it is already apparent with upcoming titles like Persona 5 and Street Fighter 5.

After Bloodborne, PS4 will be seen as a safe go to platform for Japanese devs with high profile game ambition.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605: Ouya. :D

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

It's not a third party exclusive, but sure?

I definitely do expect more exclusive third party Japanese support for the PS4, though. With a weak Nintendo, where else would they go after all?

Mobile. I mean really, they're all going mobile.

But you're right. The reason for some of these playsation excusives like DQ Heroes, Disagea 5, Star Ocean 5, Persona 5, etc, is because it's only home console left. and even then, it's falling.

There reason why they're all ps3 up-ported games is proof that jp devs don't have the resources or trust to release a ps4 exclusive game and tap into it's power (cost) to recover in such a troubled climate.

Well, minus Disagea 5....................................................if you don't mind it bombed hard

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

People who care about high profile japanese games? Japanse devs who want their project to be profitable?

The point is, even if multiplatform, PS4 is still the system that keeps getting a guaranteed version of these games and getting the most sales for them.

The success of Bloodborne shows Japanese devs they can have success if they focus their efforts on a high profile game that is centered on a demographic that appreciates those type of games instead of being spread thin.

This will make PS4 the go to system to develop high profile Japanese games for, it also means people who want or care about these japanese games will get a PS4 because other systems will only get a fraction of it's content.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

So a game going to other systems decreases its Sales on the PS4 ?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

People who care about high profile japanese games? Japanse devs who want their project to be profitable?

The point is, even if multiplatform, PS4 is still the system that keeps getting a guaranteed version of these games and getting the most sales for them.

The success of Bloodborne shows Japanese devs they can have success if they focus their efforts on a high profile game that is centered on a demographic that appreciates those type of games instead of being spread thin.

This will make PS4 the go to system to develop high profile Japanese games for, it also means people who want or care about these japanese games will get a PS4 because other systems will only get a fraction of it's content.

Your examples are kind of odd...

One appears to be a tech demo for PS3, and another seems to be Yakuza 5--a PS3 game from 2012 that is just now getting localized globally

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

lol, you have terrible reading comprehension.

Go back, read my post once more and try again. You should try to grasp my actual points before replying, you are not even close.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

Your actual points don't make sense...... or maybe I just don't understand them..........

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

Your actual points don't make sense...... or maybe I just don't understand them..........

lol, at least you acknowledge that possibility, you are not totally hopeless then.

That said, I am not here to school anyone and my post is quite clear and straight forward. If you think my points, "don't make sense" then there is no point in me clarifying them for you because I may have to constantly break down every exchange for you to go foward..

but, just because of the fact that you considered the fact you might not have gotten what I said.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

Don't know what angle you are coming from or trying to create but your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

My point was Japanese games are being shown to have much more success on current gen PS4 than other systems. More people are willing to buy and support Japanese content for PS4.

The wary Japanese developers are seeing this and that gives them motivation to focus their efforts on a high profile PS4 games or limit their project to the playstation (PS4/PS3) demographic to maximize their target group and not waste resrouces.

lol, I don't know where you got anything about decreasing sales for PS4 out of my post since I explicitly said these games sale more on PS4.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

Well yeah I get that much...... so why don't they just do the same thing, just on multiple platforms ?

Everybody wins.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

Well yeah I get that much...... so why don't they just do the same thing, just on multiple platforms ?

Everybody wins.

Not really, it takes resources to make games on separate platforms and if it's not guaranteed you waste resources.

This is true for many Japanese devs.

Remember how many Japanese devs who simply stuck to PSP/vita/3DS last gen instead of making their game on PS3 and 360 as well? It's like that!

They'd rather make their games for a focused demographic and maximize their resources with a group that they know are interested and will support their projects than simply wasting resources trying to release their game on everything that exists.

Could many of the amazing AAA Japanese created 3DS games have also sold on PS3 and 360? I am sure they could have and I could use the same argument you have here, but we both know it didn't work out like that and it's because of the perceived risk that many japanese devs fear.

On the other hand the devs also probably believed if people were really interested in their kind of game, they'd buy the system (3DS) that has the biggest focus on them...I think that is the trust factor that PS4 has going for it now with games like Persona 5, Star Ocean, Street Fighter 5 and even Bloodborne.

Kind of like, "if they want this game, they'd buy/have the system these games are mostly coming out on".

if you wanted to most/best JRPGs that came out last gen you'd have a PSP/3DS to begin with, at least I think this was the logic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

Well then they should get more resources.....

Everybody wins !

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

i think it's adorable that you said that honestly.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

Everybody wins !

Upon thinking about it, I could even extend my hypothesis a bit.

Why don't more RTS and moba games come out on consoles for the few people who'd like to play those games? I mean, Everybody wins right?

Again there are more of these games coming to consoles this gen, but then again there are more japanese games coming to PC as well, but as for the majority, PC keeps the majority of those games and console keep the majority of Japanese games.

It's not because of selling less on other platforms, it's about maximizing your resources for the demographic who actually wants to play your game. Without question, anyone who is interested in the best RTS games will build a PC...and that is where the developers for those types of games will focus their efforts.

Looking at it like this, it should be easy for you to understand the situation considering the different interests of people who choose certain platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@kinectthedots: he is baiting you. don't fall for it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

@jg4xchamp:

You know how strongly I feel about everybody having access to the game without having to buy a new system for it.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kinectthedots

@Gamerno6666 said:

@kinectthedots: he is baiting you. don't fall for it.

I know he might have been thinking that, but regardless the clarification I responded with may have shed new light on his view.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

What if your demographic has the wrong system ? They should buy another ? Thats not cool... :(

Atleast some devs are trying...... I just hope they keep trying and it eventually begins to work for them

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The game would cook the potatobox so its understandable that its not on that console.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kinectthedots

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kinectthedots:

What if your demographic has the wrong system ? They should buy another ? Thats not cool... :(

Atleast some devs are trying...... I just hope they keep trying and it eventually begins to work for them

I love Japanese games, especially *good* JRPGs but apparently I had the wrong system last gen. I needed a handheld to get the most of the games I wanted and I simply missed out because, well, I don't do handhelds.

It's not cool, but just like gamers make bets on systems they think will have the best games, apparently, devs also bet on the systems that will be best for their game. Devs choose systems they think will have the most success, sometimes it's all, sometimes 2, sometimes 1. And as my example with RTS and many non-console WRPG games for PC show, it's not just Japanese titles.

One thing, the more powerful the dev, the more likely they will go multiplatform. Things change a bit when a dev doesn't have truck loads of cash to loose.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@kinectthedots:

Do console game developers still have to put with a crap ton of Beaurocracy from Sony and Microsoft ?