Bioware: "EA Gave us Complete Creative Control"

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15587 Posts

inb4 texas ruins the thread.

Also I'm calling shenanigans. I refuse to believe any developer at Bioware was content with the general quality of Dragon Age 2 or ME3's shitty ending at launch.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Also I'm calling shenanigans. I refuse to believe any developer at Bioware was content with the general quality of Dragon Age 2 or ME3's shitty ending at launch.

Lionheart08

The problem is people confuse creative control and the release window. No doubt with DA2, EA gave Bioware a time frame to develop the game and pushed it out. Had the game been given another year of development, who knows how much better it would've been? The crap content in the game can't be pinned on EA though.

If a publisher demands a game by a certain period then that isn't "complete" creative control. They weren't given the time they needed to really finish the games.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

The problem is people confuse creative control and the release window. No doubt with DA2, EA gave Bioware a time frame to develop the game and pushed it out. Had the game been given another year of development, who knows how much better it would've been? The crap content in the game can't be pinned on EA though.

If a publisher demands a game by a certain period then that isn't "complete" creative control. They weren't given the time they needed to really finish the games.

Everything in the world of business has a deadline. Video Game Developers aren't exempt from that. Them having a deadline doesn't excuse the final product lacking.

Stuff like same maps can be blamed on the on the deadline. Others like Anders' crappy character and poorly developed storyline can't.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Lionheart08

Everything in the world of business has a deadline. Video Game Developers aren't exempt from that. Them having a deadline doesn't excuse the final product lacking.

Stuff like same maps can be blamed on the on the deadline. Others like Anders' crappy character and poorly developed storyline can't.

Business or no, a deadline set by the publisher means they didn't have complete creative freedom.

Also I disagree with the notion that a game has to have deadlines just because developing is a business. Companies like Valve and Blizzard have made very successful games, even when they frequently pushed those games back or gave no external deadlines.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Who cares, the dumber part is how EA is the worst company in America. Come on now Bank of America exists with their douchery, Walmart exists with their douchery, f*cking airline companies exist with their douchery, but EA is sh1ttiest company ever because of Sim City and Mass Effect 3s horrible ending? Do the voters have a life? because they need some priorities.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

DarkLink77

Business or no, a deadline set by the publisher means they didn't have complete creative freedom.

Also I disagree with the notion that a game has to have deadlines just because developing is a business. Companies like Valve and Blizzard have made very successful games, even when they frequently pushed those games back or gave no external deadlines.

You don't have creative control unless you can say the release date is "When it's done." True story.

Says you. There's a reason why it's 'creative' control. EA may have taken a hands off approach in the creation of the game, but dictated the dateline, which in the case of DA2, didn't leave much room for creativity. It's an indirect influence. But anyway, creative control is universally considered to be non-time dependant.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lionheart08

In response to EA being voted as the worst company in the US, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk came out to say that they had complete control over the directions of Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3.

A nice little food for thought since a couple of apologist like to shift blame to EA whenever Bioware gets criticized.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

So Dragon Age II being shit and Mass Effect 3's franchise-destoying ending were entirely their fault.

Good to know.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

Doesnt surprise me in the slightest really.

Bioware went downhill long before EA took over. In fact, they went downhill with that Star Wars fanfic of theirs and it has only been worse since.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

So Dragon Age II being shit and Mass Effect 3's franchise-destoying ending were entirely their fault.

Good to know.

DarkLink77

this

in b4 texas "dragon age 2 and me 3 ending were not bad they were the ultimate story ever and you are just too stupid to get them"

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
bu..bu...bu.... EA...EVIL.. bla bla bla.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Good to know.

DarkLink77
Yes, 10 minutes destroyed the whole franchise. Gamers have become so damn stupid.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

EA probably said something like "I don't care what you do or how you do it. I want it in 8 months." That's that they mean by creative control.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I never blamed EA because I honestly thought Bioware made pretty bad games prior to EA buying them.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Vaasman

I agree with shenanigans, due to EA's past. Dice: "Frostbite is too complex for the community" (later) "Can't give mod tools because consoles", and Maxis "Large amount of the sim is processed on the server" "It's not DRM, it's an MMO".

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I never got why people jumped on EA for BioWare's "failings" -- everything they did with the ME series and DA2 can be traced back to KOTOR.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Good to know.

millerlight89
Yes, 10 minutes destroyed the whole franchise. Gamers have become so damn stupid.

I though StarBrat was much worse than the ending...
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Good to know.

millerlight89

When that ten minutes invalidates the universe with the sheer stupidity that ME3's ending did? Yeah, that destroys franchises.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Good to know.

Inconsistancy

I though StarBrat was much worse than the ending...

He's a huge part of the problem.
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Good to know.

Krelian-co

this

in b4 texas "dragon age 2 and me 3 ending were not bad they were the ultimate story ever and you are just too stupid to get them"

co-sign

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Ha. I've been saying for a while now that it might not be EA's fault some of their franchises took a poor turn, and it looks like I could have been right. This also might just be Bioware sticking up for EA though, who knows.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lionheart08

Vaasman

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

So they are to blame.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Good to know.

musalala

this

co-sign

Also inb4 "I'm not a biodrone because I hate Dragon Age Origins"

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts
complete creative control but we have to work to their schedule?????? hmmmmmm, I can't believe there was a single dev at bioware who saw DA2 released in that half baked form and was thinking hell yeah good job guys, or saw the ending of ME3 and thought yeah well done that ties things up nicely.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]If a publisher demands a game by a certain period then that isn't "complete" creative control. They weren't given the time they needed to really finish the games.

Vaasman

You don't have creative control unless you can say the release date is "When it's done." True story.
hxsrzszp2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hxsrzszp2
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I highly doubt it is anything more than random.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Bioware went downhill long before EA took over. In fact, they went downhill with that Star Wars fanfic of theirs and it has only been worse since.

Maroxad

Funny how everyone will just blame it on EA though lol

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Why would a company admit responsibility for making terrible games?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

So they're responsible for that abomination of an ending for ME3 all by themselves (And yeah, the redo is even worse than the original imo)? Probably should have let people go on assuming EA had something to do with it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44646 Posts
damn EA and their scheming, they truly are the damn scum of the Earth... wait, whuh?
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I don't see what everyone's problem is with EA, yes you can buy things from the store to help you on your way but most of the games they produce or studio's they have make great games, they are hardly not playable if you don't buy the added stuff. Fifa is the best football game there is, and it isn't just because they have a licence but because the gameplay is very good, mass Effect is a great game. Dead Space was great.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

Who cares, the dumber part is how EA is the worst company in America. Come on now Bank of America exists with their douchery, Walmart exists with their douchery, f*cking airline companies exist with their douchery, but EA is sh1ttiest company ever because of Sim City and Mass Effect 3s horrible ending? Do the voters have a life? because they need some priorities.

jg4xchamp
Well i don't rest of those companies as i'm not from US, but EA clearly ruining what game market was :p ....i mean how you can ruin Sim City?
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23974 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

kozzy1234

Yeah, there will always be a scapegoat... sadly :( 

jg4xchamp

Honestly, that is sad. Even EA, Activision and Capcom combained would be a saint compared to some companies out there.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

This has to be a record no Texas yet.....

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

bollocks.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

tenaka2

Their games before EA were what they were like with creative control. You can even see it if you look at DA:O, even the original Mass Effect had a few more ideas than the newer ones. Both games were in development before EA bought into them.

Straight after those two games they started getting toned down.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

Yeah, there will always be a scapegoat... sadly :( 

jg4xchamp

Honestly, that is sad. Even EA, Activision and Capcom combained would be a saint compared to some companies out there.

Its also alittle funny and ironic how low gamers can go.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Why did Bioware just admit that they are to blame for Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 2 and 3?

Pikminmaniac

Mass Effect 2 and 3 were really good games. ME1 was great and all, but the gameplay itself was split between two worlds and wasn't doing either particularly well. I think they made the right choice in moving to a more action route. I played ME 1, 2, and 3 in a row when ME3 launched and the jump from ME1 to ME2 is quite amazing in terms of how well the game plays. 

The only bad part of ME3 was the crappy ending. The rest of the game was quite good and they actually had a lot of free DLC for the multiplayer which I was pleasantly surprised with.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand was completely garbage compared to the first and even stand alone it's weak.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

PcGamingRig

Their games before EA were what they were like with creative control. You can even see it if you look at DA:O, even the original Mass Effect had a few more ideas than the newer ones. Both games were in development before EA bought into them.

Straight after those two games they started getting toned down.

Thank you, both games had technical issues certainly but the underlying games were solid ME2 whilst enjoyable was grossly oversimplified and they've continued that steady decline since then.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

It's pretty funny: When the game turns out great, gamers will sing the praises of the developer. But when it ends up faltering, they'll be real quick to blame the publisher.

I never knew why people gave EA crap for BioWare's shortcomings. People were so much more prone to blame them when it came to DA2, which really made no sense. Even if it was a relatively short development time, EA didn't make the game.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]So Dragon Age II being shit and Mass Effect 3's franchise-destoying ending were entirely their fault. Good to know.

Them coming out and saying this only makes it seem infinitely worse.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Is that why Dragon Age 2 turned out total garbage?

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

As previously said. Having complete creative control may boil down to "I don't care what you do or how you do it, just get it done in 8 Months" Which probably seems more logical. Multiplayer in ME3 seems a porduct of this "We don't care what you do or how you do it, but ship this game with a multiplayer component"

The original article quotes the line "EA give you just enough rope to hang yourself"

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

That's only half the story since EA said sure Bio, you have creative control but oh yeah, finished or not, the game Will launch on this date so hurry and git crackin. :twisted:

Anyhoo, EA the prob or not, I'd rather Bio go back to being independent.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17683 Posts
All I know is that when developers are bought by EA, their software inevitably turns to sh!t or degrades in quality to some extent, that is if the studio isn't dissolved in the first place. Even if some developer comes out and claims that EA gave them complete control, the past has proven that their hand heavily interferes with a game's development. To me this shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fault does in fact lie with EA, and anyone who is familiar with their history knows this. I would be willing to wager major bucks that had Maxis not been bought by them, the newest Simcity would be incredible and an entirely different game. From what I've seen, it strikes me that EA doesn't let these developers do their job. Corporate and creative are clashing, and it shows.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sagem28

That's only half the story since EA said sure Bio, you have creative control but oh yeah, finished or not, the game Will launch on this date so hurry and git crackin. :twisted:

Anyhoo, EA the prob or not, I'd rather Bio go back to being independent.

SecretPolice

It's only a matter of time before EA pulls the plug.

Maybe they can start fresh, who knows.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
Fine EA is a shit company and Bioware has become a shit developer case closed that's why Dr Gregg fvcked off.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Damn and EA just let them put out that garbage DA2. Definitely the worst company.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts
They've said this multiple times over the years. It hasn't stopped Bioware fans from pretending that other people are to blame for Bioware's many failings.