BioShock PS3 dev Blu-ray hasn't made MUCH difference

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-08-2008-9181.html

When asked if the Blu-ray format had provided any advantages to the development team, Miller replied: "In terms of specific things, it hasn't made much difference. The original game fit on a 360 disk so it wasn't like we were in need of room. We've tried to do what we can to make sure that the PS3 looks just as great as the 360, but in terms of necessarily utilising something specific about Blu-ray, to my knowledge, Blu-ray hasn't necessarily made a huge difference."

So space is the only advantage i can see..your thoughts?

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.
D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

When asked if the Blu-ray format had provided any advantages to the development team, Miller replied: "In terms of specific things, it hasn't made much difference. The original game fit on a 360 disk so it wasn't like we were in need of room. We've tried to do what we can to make sure that the PS3 looks just as great as the 360, but in terms of necessarily utilising something specific about Blu-ray, to my knowledge, Blu-ray hasn't necessarily made a huge difference."

NSR34GTR

My thoughts: Tell us something we don't know.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

come on man. the game is just a port. did you expect them to rebuild all the game assets and re-encode & re-implement the sound?

Nah. Port teams are damn near skeleton crews.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

NSR34GTR

Of course because they are going from a smaller format to a larger format and porting the exact same game. Now if those devs were making a game with JUST that format in mind that might be a different story.

This gen. space is its only advantage but in the next few gens its read spead will be one as well since its read spead is actually faster and more constant on a blu ray disk. So if the next gen systems have a 5-6X drive as oppossed to the 2x drive the PS3 currently has it could really come in handy for some devs.

-Xeno-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 -Xeno-
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts
What is the point of this? :| As he says it fit on a DVD.....so why would they suddenly need MORE room? it's just a port...
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
what good is more space going to do for a port of a finished game that didnt need any extra space?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts

HD audio is more than good enough for me, thank you!

This was just a general thought btw!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Why would anybody think that Blu-Ray would make games load faster or something? All they do is hold more data.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.EVOLV3

6-7 Game installs isn't my idea of "good Blu-Ray use"

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.Mau-Justice

the game is 50gbs..

atarigrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 atarigrad
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
The only thing BLu-ray has done to this current development of games is allow programmers to be sloppy in there programming. They no longer have to compress there data like they did with DVD. So the extra space hasn't really payed off yet.
Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts

come on man. the game is just a port. did you expect them to rebuild all the game assets and re-encode & re-implement the sound?

Dreams-Visions

LOL wut?

I mean you arent serious about re-encoding the sound as it hardly takes any effort.:?

whodey8584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whodey8584
Member since 2008 • 245 Posts
Well a 360 port wouldn't need blu-ray. However porting from the ps3 to xbox is where there could be a problem with space.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.VendettaRed07

the game is 50gbs..

Worth of cutscenes.

There's a fine line between PC and Console...if they keep crossing, next gen it's just going to be a bunch of PC's and whatever Nintendo comes out with.

BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BudsMcGreen
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts

Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.EVOLV3

Exactly. John Carmack creator of Doom and IdTech5 stated at Quakecon2008 that graphical fidelity will be lost on the XB360 version of RAGE because of lack of storage. PS3 and PCs no worries. He also mentions the PS3 is harder to develop for but that makes sense given the amount of shear data it takes to fill a Blu-ray. I own XB360 and PS3 and love them both but I hope MS allows developers to use HD-DVD drives for games in the future not just movies.

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
Of course. Blu Ray is just more space. It doesn't magically make your games look better or allow more performance. It's newer technology allowing more space onto the same physical size and shape of a disc.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Its a port, he isnt doing anything new in the game other than adding trophies. the only thing he could mean is that there are no difficulties with blu-ray
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
If it was small enough in the first place i imagine they wouldn't have needed the blu-ray disc. There's no point needlessly filling up space. You just screw up your load times.
BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BudsMcGreen
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts

Of course. Blu Ray is just more space. It doesn't magically make your games look better or allow more performance. It's newer technology allowing more space onto the same physical size and shape of a disc.DonPerian

Wrong. Google RAGE Quakecon 08(or look it up on Gamespot). Check out John Carmacks speech while demoing RAGE. He mentions with XB360 version will be "lost fidelity due to storage restraints". So Blu-ray allows larger textures/gameworlds. Don't listen to me though.

Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"][QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]Some devs need some dont, Rage and MGS4 is a good example of good Blu-ray Use.Mau-Justice

the game is 50gbs..

Worth of cutscenes.

There's a fine line between PC and Console...if they keep crossing, next gen it's just going to be a bunch of PC's and whatever Nintendo comes out with.

lol

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
talking about a PS3 port of a 360 game, this holds NO water
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Of course Blu-ray would not make a difference if the game already fits on a DVD. How about putting MGS4 on a DVD then you could see the difference.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

I saw a video interview that said they would be upping the resolutions on textures that they couldnt on 360. I also assume it will have uncompressed audio, or at least it should. I'll try to get a link.

Edit: *crosses arms and nods* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTKwaqw6WY

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The only thing BLu-ray has done to this current development of games is allow programmers to be sloppy in there programming. They no longer have to compress there data like they did with DVD. So the extra space hasn't really payed off yet.atarigrad

Considering both the 360 and the PS3 are limited by 512 MB of data that can be displayed at any one time and both offer nearly identical disc reading speeds, how did Blu-Ray make dev's lazier when they still need to fit their assets in 512 MB of memory - just like the 360?

Dont even know why im bothering posting this... You're not even going to respond to this post from how ridiculous your statement was.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

MGS4 is good Blu-Ray use, because they had way to much uncompressed audio?

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts

Dreams-Visions
Yeeee
vaderhater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vaderhater
Member since 2003 • 3972 Posts

Blu-Ray is not here because Sony needed it for the PS3. I think some people forget that Sony isnt the sole owner of the format. That being said it is a movie media format first. This is why game devs needed to invent work arounds for its slow read speeds e.g. installing. All it was in the PS3 for in my opinion was to give Blu-Ray a huge boost against HD-DVD.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

[QUOTE="DonPerian"]Of course. Blu Ray is just more space. It doesn't magically make your games look better or allow more performance. It's newer technology allowing more space onto the same physical size and shape of a disc.BudsMcGreen

Wrong. Google RAGE Quakecon 08(or look it up on Gamespot). Check out John Carmacks speech while demoing RAGE. He mentions with XB360 version will be "lost fidelity due to storage restraints". So Blu-ray allows larger textures/gameworlds. Don't listen to me though.

the only reason that is even an issue is because MegaTextures are massive...

50-100 GB PER TEXTURE in size when uncompressed.

Not suprising to think that would have issues fitting on a 9GB DVD honestly.

Thing is, no other developer has that huge a size issue with their textures.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

Well considering the same game fit on a DVD9, it's pretty logical to think that the game didnt need to fill up a Blu Ray disc either.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

LMAO!! Blu-Ray holds 50GB or storage, then why do I have to install 3-4GB of the game onto my HDD? :lol:

If Blu-Ray is that superior, you really shouldn't have to install anything onto the PS3 HDD expect for your save files.

That one thing I really hate about the PS3.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
Why would anybody think that Blu-Ray would make games load faster or something? All they do is hold more data.Wasdie
[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"][QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

the game is 50gbs..

Worth of cutscenes.

what??? its not just worth of cutscenes, yes mgs4 takes over alot of space because of that, but resistance 2 is also filled the 50gb disc.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

NSR34GTR

Well, what did anyone really expect?

It's not like this game was made for the PS3 and Blu-Ray media in the beginning. It's a DVDRom port.

In a conflicting report, I did read it does look better though, perhaps because of the Cell, and lengthy port time.