Bioshock Infinite A game with so much potential,yet fails to reach it (spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#651 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14943 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]Haha, you're pathetic. Truly.

Vaasman

and yet you defend clear flaws of this game.

Erasing your posts won't hide the shame.

so says the moron who thinks I am a Biodrone.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#652 texasgoldrush

I haven't read through the thread, but...

things I liked:

The mysterious, intriguing, haunting setting

The soundtrack that helps define that ^^

The mindblowing quantum physics stuff is captivating, as are the twists. Mind blowing return to Rapture.

The gameplay (though it often detracts from the setting)

Good voice acting from Booker and Comstock. The Lutece Twins are also charming, right from the get go. I almost would have liked it more if they weren't integral to the plot though, and just random people who always show up.

Things I didn't like:

-The story is thin from an emotional POV.

Whereas something like LOST or Inception uses the crazy premise to convey a character's struggle in a unique way, all it served here was a plot twist at the end. That's it. An infodump. Booker doesn't make any tough decisions with the knowledge of this crazyness, nor do you get to see him process it and react to it emotionally. It's just told to him and he's drowned.

-His relationship with Elizabeth is thin.

-Half of Elizabeth's dialogue is exposition coming out of nowhere. "I think maybe....." "maybe he's actually....". Horrifying.

-Elizabeth's 'relationship' with her mother coming out of nowhere.

-Elizabeth's voice actor. She sounds like a 20year old from the 21st century.

-The looting mechanic feels very gamey. I feel like I'm mashing the square button non-stop, all while Elizabeth is trying to relay her story exposition.

-The multiverse stuff does not make complete sense during the inevitable dissection of the details. (why aren't there two Bookers when they universe-hop?, etc)

Overall an 8/10 for impressive individual parts. Mysterious alluring setting, tone, and set up, and some great gameplay (though the latter often takes away from the former), but ultimately emotionally thin and unaffecting (other than the feeling of 'whoaaaaaa'), and often unbearably bad writing.

It's a shame, because it has so much potential. If given to a better director, I think it could have been an 11/10.

To be fair, most first-person games aren't great at storytelling. HL2 included.

FeedOnATreeFrog

Yeah, a lot of things come out of nowhere in this game despite all the attempts to foreshadow....its conveniance writing. A lot of plot holes and just simply poor written moments. I call it, as another reviewer did, the Godfather Part III of the Bioshock series.

For example, Liz's admittance that Daisy and Comstock are the "same" and "made for eachother" in the Factory comes completely out of nowhere. Levine is basically forcing his story here.

The worst is the stupid and contrived anti-religious ending, which shows that game directors simply cannot handle religion in a meaningful way.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#653 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]Erasing your posts won't hide the shame.

Vaasman

I mean really all you had to do was copy and paste it's much easier now.

and fixed...good day.

The pic of Good/Evil Eleanor alone shows how much Infinite is a step back from its predecessors.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#654 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and fixed...good day.ReadingRainbow4

It's not really a good day actually. It's quite rainy and I spent all day doing errands.

atleast you have both arms.

That is true, but then again, I don't think that should stop anyone from being happy.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#655 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

I think most of the criticisms regarding the story are fairly redundant. Some of them may be fair, but compared to the vast majority of games the story is so far ahead of the curve that nit-picking it seems petty.

The real problem with the game for me was that the great story and game world felt completely disconnected from the gameplay. They would have been much better served if the game had gone for more of an RPG approach like the old System Shock games, as it is it feels like a decent shooter with fancy window dressing rather than a cohesive combination of gameplay, setting and story.

It seems like a real missed opportunity to have created this fantastic world and compelling story, then only to allow you to interact with it by shooting the locals.

It's a great game all the same, but I agree that it never quite lived up to it's potential.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#656 texasgoldrush

I think most of the criticisms regarding the story are fairly redundant. Some of them may be fair, but compared to the vast majority of games the story is so far ahead of the curve that nit-picking it seems petty. The real problem with the game for me was that the great story and game world felt completely disconnected from the gameplay. They would have been much better served if the game had gone for more of an RPG approach like the old System Shock games, as it is it feels like a decent shooter with fancy window dressing rather than a cohesive combination of gameplay, setting and story. It feels like a real missed opportunity to have created this fantastic world and compelling story, then only to allow you to interact with it by shooting the locals. It's a great game all the same, by I agree that it never quite lived up to it's potential.JamDev

The problem is that is lesser compared to the earlier two games.....that it promises to be more than they are, but ended up with less. This isn't nit picking, this game has severe narrative problems.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#657 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlqwMwgotbHUJ1xjolplo

Fights or her own freedom, orchestrates the story of Bioshock 2 and hatches her own rescue plan through reviving her Big Daddy, becomes a strong character that kicks ass and takes names, and is molded by your choices and your influence. Nevermind the part where both Eleanor and Delta simultaneously rescue eachother is brilliant. You don't need to babysit her, she takes care of herself.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9qGvhmj5eFF5hq62CK-n

A disney princess, naive, walking deus ex machina, who needs Booker for everything until the end of the game but with a wildly changing character throughout. Becomes spooky horror child in the end without player choice, and doesn;t need to be babysitting only because the enemies are somehow too stupid to go after her.

Even the best part about Infinite, Elizabeth, fails to live up to her predecessor.

Blake135

Interesting forgot about Eleanor in Bioshock 2 I'm currently replying 1 at the moment but might give Bioshock 2 another try after. I forgot while diving into Rapture a scond time didn't have the same effect on me and I prefer 1 I can't deny the obvious improvements Bioshock 2 made over 1.

Bioshock 2 may not be as important as the first game, but overall its better. And here is what makes it great...it doesn;t try to outdo the original, like Infinite tries to do, it just stays true to itself and really, it fills in the voids the first game leaves. The first game did not go far enough with the Pairbonds between Big Daddies and Little Sisters.

Also play Minerva's Den, its the highest point of the entire series.

Nevermind Infinite rips off Bioshock 2's plot. It simply recycles it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#658 texasgoldrush
Columbia's sprawling city in the open clouds is more linear than the closed bulkheads of Rapture. Irony?nutcrackr
LOL I also notice that Eleanor Lamb is the character Elizabeth should have been.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#659 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Bioshock Infinite is 10 times the game it's predecessors were. GOTY on lock, easily one of the defining games of this generation. 

Rayne718

SIKE! Bioshock 1 single-handedly wipes the floor with infinite. From a gameplay perspective, from a story perspective, from a settings/theme perspective. 

Yep...and so does Bioshock 2.....lol System Shock 2 is better, Bioshock and Bioshock 2 is better, Deus Ex Human Revolution is better, Metro 2033 is better, and Dishonored is better.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#660 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Bioshock Infinite is 10 times the game it's predecessors were. GOTY on lock, easily one of the defining games of this generation. 

Rayne718

SIKE! Bioshock 1 single-handedly wipes the floor with infinite. From a gameplay perspective, from a story perspective, from a settings/theme perspective. 

:lol: the gameplay in Bioshock was garbage
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Rayne718"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

mems_1224

Its better than Infinite.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#662 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Rayne718"]

texasgoldrush

No, it wasn't.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#663 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] :lol: the gameplay in Bioshock was garbage mems_1224

No, it wasn't.

Explain.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#664 Vaasman

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Rayne718"]

texasgoldrush

6ce.png.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#665 texasgoldrush
http://kotaku.com/now-is-the-best-time-a-critique-of-bioshock-infinite-472517493 Ouch
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#666 Vaasman

Eleanor Fights or her own freedom, orchestrates the story of Bioshock 2 and hatches her own rescue plan through reviving her Big Daddy, becomes a strong character that kicks ass and takes names, and is molded by your choices and your influence. Nevermind the part where both Eleanor and Delta simultaneously rescue eachother is brilliant. You don't need to babysit her, she takes care of herself. Elizabeth A disney princess, naive, walking deus ex machina, who needs Booker for everything until the end of the game but with a wildly changing character throughout. Becomes spooky horror child in the end without player choice, and doesn;t need to be babysitting only because the enemies are somehow too stupid to go after her. Even the best part about Infinite, Elizabeth, fails to live up to her predecessor.texasgoldrush
Can't even get the image tags right. tsk tsk.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#667 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Eleanor Fights or her own freedom, orchestrates the story of Bioshock 2 and hatches her own rescue plan through reviving her Big Daddy, becomes a strong character that kicks ass and takes names, and is molded by your choices and your influence. Nevermind the part where both Eleanor and Delta simultaneously rescue eachother is brilliant. You don't need to babysit her, she takes care of herself. Elizabeth A disney princess, naive, walking deus ex machina, who needs Booker for everything until the end of the game but with a wildly changing character throughout. Becomes spooky horror child in the end without player choice, and doesn;t need to be babysitting only because the enemies are somehow too stupid to go after her. Even the best part about Infinite, Elizabeth, fails to live up to her predecessor.texasgoldrush

and you can't even get logic right...good day.

Haha, you're pathetic. Truly.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#668 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Eleanor Fights or her own freedom, orchestrates the story of Bioshock 2 and hatches her own rescue plan through reviving her Big Daddy, becomes a strong character that kicks ass and takes names, and is molded by your choices and your influence. Nevermind the part where both Eleanor and Delta simultaneously rescue eachother is brilliant. You don't need to babysit her, she takes care of herself. Elizabeth A disney princess, naive, walking deus ex machina, who needs Booker for everything until the end of the game but with a wildly changing character throughout. Becomes spooky horror child in the end without player choice, and doesn;t need to be babysitting only because the enemies are somehow too stupid to go after her. Even the best part about Infinite, Elizabeth, fails to live up to her predecessor.Vaasman

fixed...so what?
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#669 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and you can't even get logic right...good day.texasgoldrush

Haha, you're pathetic. Truly.

and yet you defend clear flaws of this game.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#670 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] and yet you defend clear flaws of this game.texasgoldrush

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#671 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] so says the moron who thinks I am a Biodrone.

texasgoldrush

and fixed...good day.

It's not really a good day actually. It's quite rainy and I spent all day doing errands.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#672 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]I mean really all you had to do was copy and paste it's much easier now.

Vaasman

and fixed...good day.

atleast you have both arms.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#673 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlqwMwgotbHUJ1xjolplo

Fights or her own freedom, orchestrates the story of Bioshock 2 and hatches her own rescue plan through reviving her Big Daddy, becomes a strong character that kicks ass and takes names, and is molded by your choices and your influence. Nevermind the part where both Eleanor and Delta simultaneously rescue eachother is brilliant. You don't need to babysit her, she takes care of herself.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9qGvhmj5eFF5hq62CK-n

A disney princess, naive, walking deus ex machina, who needs Booker for everything until the end of the game but with a wildly changing character throughout. Becomes spooky horror child in the end without player choice, and doesn;t need to be babysitting only because the enemies are somehow too stupid to go after her.

Even the best part about Infinite, Elizabeth, fails to live up to her predecessor.

texasgoldrush
Interesting forgot about Eleanor in Bioshock 2 I'm currently replying 1 at the moment but might give Bioshock 2 another try after. I forgot while diving into Rapture a scond time didn't have the same effect on me and I prefer 1 I can't deny the obvious improvements Bioshock 2 made over 1.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#674 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I don't like stories that build up mystery after mystery and save all the reveals for the last moment. Then it's just one big giant info dump explanation. Little satisfaction along the way. Just questions and frustrating mysteries stackked on top of one another. Not my favorite type of storytelling. I like a story with the balls to give you tid bits along the way. Perhaps a big twist in the middle and then another twist in the end. The best twist is when you've convinced the audience they've already seen the twist. But video game people don't know sh*t about story telling.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#675 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Jeez is it everyones goal to suck the fun out of gaming or does it really suck that bad now. Every time a big game comes out and every is excited for it, it only takes about a week before everyone hates it and everyone says how much it sucks and how overrated it was. I honestly cant remember the last game that didn't happen with.

ReadingRainbow4

Are people not allowed to criticize a game after they've actually played now?

This is the same thing that happened to inception after it's release.

people just can't handle constructive criticism, it's not like I'm outright hating on the game, I have my reasons and so does nutcrackr and anyone else who thinks it's not perfect.

It's a fun game, but I don't think it's anywhere near it's predecessors especially when it comes to gameplay and complexity.

I never said anyone wasn't allowed to do anything. I Never said it was perfect, its far from perfect. The tone here isn't "its very good but its not perfect" its " it sucks hard because of x y and z". And I was just asking why does everybody come down so hard on every game now? 

You're missing my point I'm not even talking about just this game .. Literally EVERY game that comes out now sucks after a week. No matter what it is.. Its really just depressing how pessimistic most people are now in gaming. Its hard to get excited about anything anymore. I don't know why its like that. Do companies just hype stuff up more than they used to? I dunno. But gamers just seem to be pretty negative now more than ever and it is kind of sad. 

I know its warrented because there are a lot of bad customs. There isnt as much variety. despite better tech games are getting more simplistic. But is everything really that bad now? Like are we really this unhappy where things are at? Because if you asked most people, theyd say this gen was probably their favorite ever. But going how most games are recieved now, I dunno feels like the opposite to me. 

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#676 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Are people not allowed to criticize a game after they've actually played now?

VendettaRed07

people just can't handle constructive criticism, it's not like I'm outright hating on the game, I have my reasons and so does nutcrackr and anyone else who thinks it's not perfect.

It's a fun game, but I don't think it's anywhere near it's predecessors especially when it comes to gameplay and complexity.

Come on, I never said anyone wasn't allowed to do anything. I Never said it was perfect, its far from perfect. Come on, the tone here isn't "its very good but its not perfect" its " it sucks hard because of x y and z". And I was just asking why does everybody come down so hard on every game now?

You're missing my point I'm not even talking about just this game .. Literally EVERY game that comes out now sucks after a week. No matter what it is.. Its really just depressing how pessimistic most people are now in gaming. Its hard to get excited about anything anymore. I don't know why its like that. Do companies just hype stuff up more than they used to? I dunno. But gamers just seem to be pretty negative now more than ever and it is kind of sad.

I know its warrented because there are a lot of bad customs. There isnt as much variety. But is everything really that bad now? Like are we really this unhappy where things are at? Because if you asked most people, theyd say this gen was probably their favorite ever. But going how most games are recieved now, I dunno feels like the opposite to me.

to be completely fair to irrational, I came into this game directly off the high the previous trailers provided which it never meets.

IDK man, that's a good question I guess. I think some of us are getting sick of the smoke and mirrors and really start to realize that there is a point where the gameplay and complexity is pushed aside in favor of story and atmosphere, and I really don't know why that is. I feel they can coexist in perfect harmony given the right amount of care.

I think there was an interview with ken levine, where he said a ton of stuff was cut from the original game enough to fill up 4 games or something. The end product just felt rushed to me. I appreciate the great artwork and interesting story, but the game just felt shallow to me overall.

The best way I can describe bioshock infinite, is if an amusement park ride stopped in the middle of it, then gave you a chance to walk around, you start to really notice the trickery and it get's harder and harder to suspend your disbelief and take wonder in all the little things it does to present to you that you are in a living breathing world.

I just expected more overall, I don't hate the game, and I don't even think it's bad.

It is very pretty, some sequences looked gorgeous.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#677 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I don't like stories that build up mystery after mystery and save all the reveals for the last moment. Then it's just one big giant info dump explanation. Little satisfaction along the way. Just questions and frustrating mysteries stackked on top of one another. Not my favorite type of storytelling. I like a story with the balls to give you tid bits along the way. Perhaps a big twist in the middle and then another twist in the end. The best twist is when you've convinced the audience they've already seen the twist. But video game people don't know sh*t about story telling.

To sum it up, a twist should be in service of the plot, not the plot in service of the twist.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#678 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

ReadingRainbow4

Come on, I never said anyone wasn't allowed to do anything. I Never said it was perfect, its far from perfect. Come on, the tone here isn't "its very good but its not perfect" its " it sucks hard because of x y and z". And I was just asking why does everybody come down so hard on every game now?

I know its warrented because there are a lot of bad customs. There isnt as much variety. But is everything really that bad now? Like are we really this unhappy where things are at? Because if you asked most people, theyd say this gen was probably their favorite ever. But going how most games are recieved now, I dunno feels like the opposite to me.

to be completely fair to irrational, I came into this game directly off the high the previous trailers provided which it never meets.

IDK man, that's a good question I guess. I think some of us are getting sick of the smoke and mirrors and really start to realize that there is a point where the gameplay and complexity is pushed aside in favor of story and atmosphere, and I really don't know why that is. I feel they can coexist in perfect harmony given the right amount of care.

I think there was an interview with ken levine, where he said a ton of stuff was cut from the original game enough to fill up 4 games or something. The end product just felt rushed to me. I appreciate the great artwork and interesting story, but the game just felt shallow to me overall.

The best way I can describe bioshock infinite, is if an amusement park ride stopped in the middle of it, then gave you a chance to walk around, you start to really notice the trickery and it get's harder and harder to suspend your disbelief and take wonder in all the little things it does to present to you that you are in a living breathing world.

I just expected more overall, I don't hate the game, and I don't even think it's bad.

I wouldn't have even bothered to get it because FPS aren't really my thing but my brother did, I played it for a few hours and I had a lot of fun. But I kind of stopped when reading everything here. I wasn't mad thinking anyone was wrong. But just disappointed because something again that seemed like it would be pretty good, theres just a lot of negitivity surrounding it, and its not unwarrented. 

Maybe I'm easily influenced, I dunno. But when a lot of people are hating on something, its just kind of hard to enjoy something the same way, you know? Because a lot of the time, people do bring up good points, and I like hearing other peoples views. And its hard to ignore. I just have trouble sometimes drawing the line between reasonable complaints and stuff that shouldn't matter overall.  Its hard for me to ever really want to get excited about something I haven't really played yet or actually want to invest the money into getting it, when theres so much negitivity around. I don't bother with many new games now, I just buy older RPGs and revisit retro system librarys and play them with my girlfriend and thats pretty much it. There is the occasional game now that i really enjoy and joy and bother defending but most aren't worth it. Its like most things disappoint. I thought The Last of Us looked pretty awesome, but Im not going to bother with getting hyped for it, because getting hyped seems to only lead to disappointment. 

I just think we need a new generation desperately. The ps4 seems like the only thing right now everyone is super excited for. Maybe itll give games the boost of adreline they need now. 

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#679 JamDev

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"] Come on, I never said anyone wasn't allowed to do anything. I Never said it was perfect, its far from perfect. Come on, the tone here isn't "its very good but its not perfect" its " it sucks hard because of x y and z". And I was just asking why does everybody come down so hard on every game now?

VendettaRed07

I wouldn't have even bothered to get it because FPS aren't really my thing but my brother did, I played it for a few hours and I had a lot of fun. But I kind of stopped when reading everything here. I wasn't mad thinking anyone was wrong. But just disappointed because something again that seemed like it would be pretty good, theres just a lot of negitivity surrounding it, and its not unwarrented. 

Maybe I'm easily influenced, I dunno. But when a lot of people are hating on something, its just kind of hard to enjoy something the same way, you know? Because a lot of the time, people do bring up good points, and I like hearing other peoples views. And its hard to ignore. I just have trouble sometimes drawing the line between reasonable complaints and stuff that shouldn't matter overall.  Its hard for me to ever really want to get excited about something I haven't really played yet or actually want to invest the money into getting it, when theres so much negitivity around. I don't bother with many new games now, I just buy older RPGs and revisit retro system librarys and play them with my girlfriend and thats pretty much it. There is the occasional game now that i really enjoy and joy and bother defending but most aren't worth it. Its like most things disappoint. I thought The Last of Us looked pretty awesome, but Im not going to bother with getting hyped for it, because getting hyped seems to only lead to disappointment. 

I just think we need a new generation desperately. The ps4 seems like the only thing right now everyone is super excited for. Maybe itll give games the boost of adreline they need now. 

That's a shame if true, if you are honestly that easily swayed by negativity towards games I would recommend staying off the internet till you're done with it. Literally every popular game gets this kind of backlash, you shouldn't read too much into it. Personally I felt Infinite was a flawed but still very good game and a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the AAA titles released over the last few years. A lot of people absolutely love it and think it's the best game ever made, everyone has their own opinion. You should just trust your own judgement and not put too much stock in what other people think.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#680 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

JamDev

That's a shame if true, if you are honestly that easily swayed by negativity towards games I would recommend staying off the internet till you're done with it. Literally every popular game gets this kind of backlash, you shouldn't read too much into it. Personally I felt Infinite was a flawed but still very good game and a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the AAA titles released over the last few years. A lot of people absolutely love it and think it's the best game ever made, everyone has their own opinion. You should just trust your own judgement and not put too much stock in what other people think.

You're probably right. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#681 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I don't like stories that build up mystery after mystery and save all the reveals for the last moment. Then it's just one big giant info dump explanation. Little satisfaction along the way. Just questions and frustrating mysteries stackked on top of one another. Not my favorite type of storytelling. I like a story with the balls to give you tid bits along the way. Perhaps a big twist in the middle and then another twist in the end. The best twist is when you've convinced the audience they've already seen the twist. But video game people don't know sh*t about story telling. texasgoldrush
To sum it up, a twist should be in service of the plot, not the plot in service of the twist.

There was a twist? Any one else already expect by Colmstock's home that Book was at very least Liz's father, and possibly Colmstock? 

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#682 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"] Come on, I never said anyone wasn't allowed to do anything. I Never said it was perfect, its far from perfect. Come on, the tone here isn't "its very good but its not perfect" its " it sucks hard because of x y and z". And I was just asking why does everybody come down so hard on every game now?

VendettaRed07

100% New Gen hopefully will kick some life into Gaming this gen has dragged on for so long it hurts. While alot of the middle Ground developers will struggle im interested to see what the big AAA guys are going to do, and same with the uprise of Indie developers and the increasing support for everything Kickstarter.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#683 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I don't like stories that build up mystery after mystery and save all the reveals for the last moment. Then it's just one big giant info dump explanation. Little satisfaction along the way. Just questions and frustrating mysteries stackked on top of one another. Not my favorite type of storytelling. I like a story with the balls to give you tid bits along the way. Perhaps a big twist in the middle and then another twist in the end. The best twist is when you've convinced the audience they've already seen the twist. But video game people don't know sh*t about story telling. sSubZerOo

There was a twist? Any one else already expect by Colmstock's home that Book was at very least Liz's father, and possibly Colmstock? 

I saw it in the third level of the game with Troy Baker voicing part of Comstock.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#684 Vaasman

Just beat for the first time. I played on 1999 mode even though I am pretty terrible at shooters (nearly always go negative online). Wasn't much of a challenge other than a couple random parts I got stuck on and the final battle.

Every review I have seen used the phrase "will blow your mind." But...did I play an alternate version of Infinite with a hilarious end twist followed by a rage-inducing after-credits twist?

ActionRemix

How did you get 1999 mode for your first playthrough?

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#685 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

Just beat for the first time. I played on 1999 mode even though I am pretty terrible at shooters (nearly always go negative online). Wasn't much of a challenge other than a couple random parts I got stuck on and the final battle.

Every review I have seen used the phrase "will blow your mind." But...did I play an alternate version of Infinite with a hilarious end twist followed by a rage-inducing after-credits twist?

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#686 JamDev
Konami code :)
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#687 Vaasman

Konami code :)JamDev
Just googled it and yea apparently it works. Never knew that.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#688 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]

Vaasman

How did you get 1999 mode for your first playthrough?

My friend beat it on hard mode first. There's a code too, I'm sure.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#689 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I actualyl liked the game, but really wished they had paced the story a lot better throughout instead of the information dump at the end... that leaves me looking online for a better explaination and a game should never do that. Nice concept, but the gameplay was also very repetitiave and new vigor's just felt useless, as I prett ymuch used one throughout the entire game.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#690 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I didn't even look up a single trailer on the game. The only thing I watched was an interview with Ken Levine and I was immediately put off. He's really stupid and listening to him makes me wish that gamers weren't equally as stupid.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#691 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Honestly, if you compare the current game to what was shown in both the debut trailer and the debut gameplay you can see a huge improvement... You can also see why they took so long to develop the game it self, they weren't spending all of that time polishing the game, they spent it remaking concepts and morphing the story, basically dumbing down their original more far fetched ideas in to something that would render more sales... I think you're right that it had more potential than what was acutally utilized, but they didn't have much of a choice considering the budget.. They had to make certain changes to make sure they could get a profit. 

And that sort of makes me want to see the sales figures for this game, considering the insane amount of effort put in to the marketing for it, I would be surprised if it didn't get Call of Duty tier numbers lol.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#692 parkurtommo
He's really stupid and listening to him makes me wish that gamers weren't equally as stupid.SKaREO
You're stupid.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#693 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]I don't like stories that build up mystery after mystery and save all the reveals for the last moment. Then it's just one big giant info dump explanation. Little satisfaction along the way. Just questions and frustrating mysteries stackked on top of one another. Not my favorite type of storytelling. I like a story with the balls to give you tid bits along the way. Perhaps a big twist in the middle and then another twist in the end. The best twist is when you've convinced the audience they've already seen the twist. But video game people don't know sh*t about story telling. sSubZerOo

I didn't :(
dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#694 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts

I actually thought Comstock was Booker's father, he was to be the "heir" after experiencing Columbia. But that would kind of be lazy, since its Bioshock all over again.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#695 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] To sum it up, a twist should be in service of the plot, not the plot in service of the twist.dracolich55

I actually thought Comstock was Booker's father, he was to be the "heir" after experiencing Columbia. But that would kind of be lazy, since its Bioshock all over again.

But its Bioshock 2 all over again.....a father figure (Delta, Booker) must rescue his daughter figure (Eleanor, Elizabeth) from a power hungry ideological parent figure (Sofia Lamb, Comstock) and their flock (The Family, The Founders) who seeks to turn their "daughter" into their legacy (determiner of the greater good, the next prophet) that will "redeem" the world. And Eleanor and Sofia are better characters than Elizabeth and Comstock.