Biggest reason why PC gaming stinks

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 stiltzsy
Member since 2008 • 1486 Posts

Games won't install properly. I'm trying to load DoW Platinum edition on my dual core thinkpad R61...but as soon as the install starts it quits with an error "installation ended prematurely because of an error". WTF! I need this to work now so I can load the patches and play the game while I'm at my cabin.

Now I remember why I went to console gaming as my preferred method of gaming.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

all my games install fine.

You propely messed around in the background when the game was installing and is messed up the install:roll:

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stiltzsy
what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?killerfist
Difference is this is typical for PC gaming. Console gaming rarely has issues like this.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
[QUOTE="killerfist"]what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?stiltzsy
Difference is this is typical for PC gaming. Console gaming rarely has issues like this.

its not typical at all you are most likely the first person to complain about this kind of issue.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
You say that as if it's universal. My games instal just fine. Digital Distribution FTW.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Hell the most recent time I had a bad install was from Vampire TM: Bloodlines. But that's because it doesn't support Vista. Never had an issue other than that one. So boo for you.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
This sounds like a Fail on your part, not your computers, that being said, theres ALWAYS a fix for problems like these, thats the glory of PC gaming, your not the first to go through this, just ask, and you will get an answer
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="killerfist"]what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?JangoWuzHere

its not typical at all you are most likely the first person to complain about this kind of issue.

This is a joke right? I'm finding others complaining about the same issue on the Internet...and no one has posted a good fix (other than hacks).
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

I have prolly around 200 pc games and never was unable to install any one of them. Generally speaking if your PC is up to date, the game itself isn't flawed and you're doing it right, things should go smoothly 99% of the time. Installation problems are usually caused by one of three:

1. scratched disk / bad dvd drive
2. firewall or other safety program blocking stuff
3. hard disk space being low

Tho laptops and vista are issues of their own that I won't comment on. 

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stiltzsy
This sounds like a Fail on your part, not your computers, that being said, theres ALWAYS a fix for problems like these, thats the glory of PC gaming, your not the first to go through this, just ask, and you will get an answerPinkyimp
It's not a glorious thing when you're in a hurry and now I'm stuck trying to find a patch for this dang thing. BTW: if it's so easy to find a fix...how about pointing me at the solution because so far all I found were hacks that dont' solve the entire problem.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]

I have prolly around 200 pc games and never was unable to install any one of them. Generally speaking if your PC is up to date, the game itself isn't flawed and you're doing it right, things should go smoothly 99% of the time. Installation problems are usually caused by one of three:

You missed two biggies... BUGS and DRM.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Just because you, or your hardware, suck, doesn't mean pc gaming does...
[QUOTE="killerfist"]what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?stiltzsy

RRoD says a little different. At least this can probably be fixed, assuming his hardware is capable of playing the game in the first place. This is not "typical" at all for pc gaming.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
nothing good ever came easy
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stiltzsy
Just because you, or your hardware, suck, doesn't mean pc gaming does... [QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="killerfist"]what if the Ps3 stops installing games for some strange reason? (assuming you have a Ps3) wouldn't you be just as screwed?Captain__Tripps

RRoD says a little different. At least this can probably be fixed, assuming his hardware is capable of playing the game in the first place. This is not "typical" at all for pc gaming.

I want the magic pc you have. all my PCs for the past 20 years have always had issues eitehr installing, needing to update drivers, waiting for service pack or patch, etc...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]

You missed two biggies... BUGS and DRM.

Bugs count as the game being flawed, can't really do anything about that because PC is an open platform. I could poo in a box and sell it as a pc game and no one could stop me. DRM preventing installation should fit in the 1%, okay, could be higher I guess but I'm just making these numbers up so who cares.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 organic_machine

[QUOTE="Pinkyimp"]This sounds like a Fail on your part, not your computers, that being said, theres ALWAYS a fix for problems like these, thats the glory of PC gaming, your not the first to go through this, just ask, and you will get an answerstiltzsy
It's not a glorious thing when you're in a hurry and now I'm stuck trying to find a patch for this dang thing. BTW: if it's so easy to find a fix...how about pointing me at the solution because so far all I found were hacks that dont' solve the entire problem.

In a hurry? What for? Why would you be playing a computer game if you're in a hurry. Why would you be gaming on a PC if you're in a hurry? That's what consoles are for: people in a hurry. 

And, if you want a solution, go to the PC board and give them more than "it wont work." Give the game, the specs, and all that stuff. They can help you. SW is not the place for this. 

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Just because you, or your hardware, suck, doesn't mean pc gaming does... [QUOTE="stiltzsy"] Difference is this is typical for PC gaming. Console gaming rarely has issues like this. stiltzsy

I want the magic pc you have. all my PCs for the past 20 years have always had issues eitehr installing, needing to update drivers, waiting for service pack or patch, etc...

Updating drivers is part of the "game". I can't remember ever buying a game and being unable to install it. I don't game on Intel Integrated graphics though.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Actually, the biggest reason PC gaming stinks is that sometimes, just sometimes, that case is too warm and inviting, and assorted critters decide to bunker up for the winter there. Sometimes they get stuck, and after a couple days...

erm, ah, yes, figuratively speaking. I apologize. Well, yes, one of the biggest hurdles of PC gaming would be that it's considerably more involved to get your stuff up and running, which leads to a higher probability of screwing something up - or having some bizarre, random incompatibility. Still, If you know what you're doing and bother to read for a bit, you should be well clear of most of these issues - unless you're talking about pirated software with bizarre instalation/circumvention methods. Those can royally mess up your system, especially if you need to get into the system32/ folder or the registry. 

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stiltzsy

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"][QUOTE="Pinkyimp"]This sounds like a Fail on your part, not your computers, that being said, theres ALWAYS a fix for problems like these, thats the glory of PC gaming, your not the first to go through this, just ask, and you will get an answerorganic_machine

In a hurry? What for? Why would you be playing a computer game if you're in a hurry. Why would you be gaming on a PC if you're in a hurry? That's what consoles are for: people in a hurry. 

And, if you want a solution, go to the PC board and give them more than "it wont work." Give the game, the specs, and all that stuff. They can help you. SW is not the place for this. 

Yes in a hurry. Need to load it on my laptop install patches then take laptop to my cabin for the holiday. SW is the place for me to point out the PC gaming hasn't improved from the bug fest it always has been. I can debug this myself (if I had time), but I want to put the game in install...patch...go. But now I have to spend (who knows how much) time on this stupid crap. A game from 2006 shouldn't have issues running on a new system...and if it does it should be listed as a known issue by the developer.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"] It's not a glorious thing when you're in a hurry and now I'm stuck trying to find a patch for this dang thing. BTW: if it's so easy to find a fix...how about pointing me at the solution because so far all I found were hacks that dont' solve the entire problem.stiltzsy

Yes in a hurry. Need to load it on my laptop install patches then take laptop to my cabin for the holiday. SW is the place for me to point out the PC gaming hasn't improved from the bug fest it always has been. I can debug this myself (if I had time), but I want to put the game in install...patch...go. But now I have to spend (who knows how much) time on this stupid crap. A game from 2006 shouldn't have issues running on a new system...and if it does it should be listed as a known issue by the developer.

The bug fest it's always been? No you're just trolling.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Another "Here's why [insert any console] sucks".

People will never get it. Which is unfortunate. 

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"] It's not a glorious thing when you're in a hurry and now I'm stuck trying to find a patch for this dang thing. BTW: if it's so easy to find a fix...how about pointing me at the solution because so far all I found were hacks that dont' solve the entire problem.stiltzsy

Dude you completely missed the point of this forum.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 organic_machine

Yes in a hurry. Need to load it on my laptop install patches then take laptop to my cabin for the holiday. SW is the place for me to point out the PC gaming hasn't improved from the bug fest it always has been. I can debug this myself (if I had time), but I want to put the game in install...patch...go. But now I have to spend (who knows how much) time on this stupid crap. A game from 2006 shouldn't have issues running on a new system...and if it does it should be listed as a known issue by the developer.stiltzsy

A)  You're using a laptop. What are you thinking?

B) Read Grive's post. 

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#26 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

This is why I use digital disribution.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#27 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Games dont install properly?? WTF? haha.

Terrible job at flaming :lol:

Anyone who has a gaming pc and consoles, knows both have good things about em.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
I have had a few problems installing World of Warcraft. My comp would install all 4 disks then say there was an error while i installed the last disk. Most problems are easy to fix though.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
hmmmmm i have vista and haven't even had any problems. im wondering if something in your pc is low grade or if you might have virus/spyware/malware or something akin to it that might mess up your pc.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

Another "Here's why [insert any console] sucks".

People will never get it. Which is unfortunate. 

BaraChat
Uh..where talking about he PC here...its not a console AFAIK
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stiltzsy

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"]Yes in a hurry. Need to load it on my laptop install patches then take laptop to my cabin for the holiday. SW is the place for me to point out the PC gaming hasn't improved from the bug fest it always has been. I can debug this myself (if I had time), but I want to put the game in install...patch...go. But now I have to spend (who knows how much) time on this stupid crap. A game from 2006 shouldn't have issues running on a new system...and if it does it should be listed as a known issue by the developer.organic_machine

B) Read Grive's post. 

I'm thinking I have a kick arse laptop that can run this game. I know my old laptop that wasn't 1/2 as good as this one could run it just fine.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stiltzsy
[QUOTE="Grive"]

Actually, the biggest reason PC gaming stinks is that sometimes, just sometimes, that case is too warm and inviting, and assorted critters decide to bunker up for the winter there. Sometimes they get stuck, and after a couple days...

erm, ah, yes, figuratively speaking. I apologize. Well, yes, one of the biggest hurdles of PC gaming would be that it's considerably more involved to get your stuff up and running, which leads to a higher probability of screwing something up - or having some bizarre, random incompatibility. Still, If you know what you're doing and bother to read for a bit, you should be well clear of most of these issues - unless you're talking about pirated software with bizarre instalation/circumvention methods. Those can royally mess up your system, especially if you need to get into the system32/ folder or the registry. 

Definitely not a pirated copy...this is my work laptop I'm installing it on. I know quite a bit about PCs...I've been supporting them for over 15 years ;-) I'm just complaining because this game should install and run. And the error message is a joke...wtf can I learn from this error message? At least a blue screen clues me in on where teh problem is when windows crashes.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

wat

Avatar image for soiheardyoulike
soiheardyoulike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 soiheardyoulike
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
Um my cod 4 did not work on the 360. Obviously this must happen to everyone and I will now make a thread about it.CLearly this is not user error.
smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 smokechromboyo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I googled ur error seems other people are having the same issue.

faulty disk i guess.

download the game off a torrent and use ur retail cd key.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Too bad my PC doesn't scratch my freakin games like what my 360 just did.
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stiltzsy
Um my cod 4 did not work on the 360. Obviously this must happen to everyone and I will now make a thread about it.CLearly this is not user error.soiheardyoulike
Clearly it's not...when others are reporting the same error. COD 4 not working...either bad disk or you put it in wrong (which would be user error). I checked me disks....copied the files to the hard drive so I know that's not the issue. one of the 3 games loaded just fine...the other two are having issues. But yeah...that's user error. It's really hard to run setup.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Captain__Tripps

[QUOTE="stiltzsy"]Yes in a hurry. Need to load it on my laptop install patches then take laptop to my cabin for the holiday. SW is the place for me to point out the PC gaming hasn't improved from the bug fest it always has been. I can debug this myself (if I had time), but I want to put the game in install...patch...go. But now I have to spend (who knows how much) time on this stupid crap. A game from 2006 shouldn't have issues running on a new system...and if it does it should be listed as a known issue by the developer.stiltzsy

B) Read Grive's post. 

I'm thinking I have a kick arse laptop that can run this game. I know my old laptop that wasn't 1/2 as good as this one could run it just fine.

Nothing with an x3100 chipset can be described as "kickass" when it comes to coming... assuming it does.
smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 smokechromboyo

Basically when you buy a game you are paying for the cd key.

if you download a game let's say the world of warcraft/iso file/game off a torrent

download daemon tools and mount the world of warcraft iso/image file with daemon tools and install it.

enter ur legit retail cd key and ur good.

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

I haven't had any problems with PC for years. Just remove your adware and viruses and you should be fine.

(Actully I had a recent problem with my L4D copy, the disc I got wouldn't load, but since discs is something of the past It didn't really bother me, first time that happened too me though)  

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stiltzsy

Finally found the fix...linking here for future peole with this error:

http://www.romsteady.net/blog/2007/08/fix-warhammer-40k-dawn-of-war-wont.html

FIX: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Won't Install On Vista

(Note: These instructions are for "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Platinum Edition" and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Game of the Year Edition." Modify as appropriate for the version you are trying to install.)

Open a Command Prompt window by typing Windows-R, then typing "cmd" and pressing ENTER.

Type in the following command all on one line (where CD drive is the drive letter of your DVD drive):

msiexec /qb /i [cddrive]:dowsetupdawnofwar.msi TARGETDIR="C:GamesTHQDoW"

Okay the UAC prompt. Let it install.

Open the Registry Editor by typing Windows-R, then typing "regedit" and pressing ENTER.

Okay the UAC prompt.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARETHQDawn of War.

Right-click on the "CDKEY" key and pick "Modify." Enter your CD key (including dashes). Hit "OK."

Right-click on the "CDKEY_WXP" key and pick "Modify." Enter your Winter Assault CD key (including dashes). Hit "OK."

Right-click on "InstallLocation" and pick "Modify." Enter the target directory from the above step. Hit "OK."

Close the Registry Editor and Command Window.

Open Explorer, browse to your DVD drive into the DCSetup folder.

Run setup.exe to install the Dark Crusade.

======

And to all the idiots above that think it was user error...yeah right...running a custom msinstaller command along with editing the registry to just get a game to install...

smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 smokechromboyo

any problems installing pc games you bought.

torrent download game file /daemon tools works great lol.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php

i dont download games illegally, i buy my games but if they wont install i would do that.

why pay for a game twice just because a game disk has alittle scratch or just faulty?

what happened to the days of games being tough cartridges anyone?

smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 smokechromboyo
game disk scratch so easy...plus you are allowed to make back up copies of games you bought.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Captain__Tripps

Finally found the fix...linking here for future peole with this error:

http://www.romsteady.net/blog/2007/08/fix-warhammer-40k-dawn-of-war-wont.html

FIX: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Won't Install On Vista

(Note: These instructions are for "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Platinum Edition" and "Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Game of the Year Edition." Modify as appropriate for the version you are trying to install.)

Open a Command Prompt window by typing Windows-R, then typing "cmd" and pressing ENTER.

Type in the following command all on one line (where CD drive is the drive letter of your DVD drive):

msiexec /qb /i [cddrive]:dowsetupdawnofwar.msi TARGETDIR="C:GamesTHQDoW"

Okay the UAC prompt. Let it install.

Open the Registry Editor by typing Windows-R, then typing "regedit" and pressing ENTER.

Okay the UAC prompt.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARETHQDawn of War.

Right-click on the "CDKEY" key and pick "Modify." Enter your CD key (including dashes). Hit "OK."

Right-click on the "CDKEY_WXP" key and pick "Modify." Enter your Winter Assault CD key (including dashes). Hit "OK."

Right-click on "InstallLocation" and pick "Modify." Enter the target directory from the above step. Hit "OK."

Close the Registry Editor and Command Window.

Open Explorer, browse to your DVD drive into the DCSetup folder.

Run setup.exe to install the Dark Crusade.

======

And to all the idiots above that think it was user error...yeah right...running a custom msinstaller command along with editing the registry to just get a game to install...

stiltzsy
Umm, you are running a 2004 game on Vista... Yeah it happens. BFD.
smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 smokechromboyo

console gamers are getting screwed though, if they get 1 little scratch their game is done.

gotta buy new copy that's messed up man....the games scratch so easy...developers should send people new copy of game if their **** messes up.

the storage format just isnt tough enough to be charging the money they do.

smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 smokechromboyo

i cant wait untill all games are digitally distributed that's the best way aka steam.

this whole blu ray,cd,dvd are crap storage formats.

way too weak.

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Captain__Tripps
Yes, if you are truly "licensing" the game, rather than buying it, you should be able to trade in a failed disk for a "nominal" fee... but if you are scratching disks that frequently you probably have problems. I have never broken a game I cared about, do you have this problem with dvd movies?
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
pc gaming is indeed quite faulty and sometimes stressful
smokechromboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smokechromboyo

Yes, if you are truly "licensing" the game, rather than buying it, you should be able to trade in a failed disk for a "nominal" fee... but if you are scratching disks that frequently you probably have problems. I have never broken a game I cared about, do you have this problem with dvd movies?Captain__Tripps

So many times have i been installing games and had my case laying on the desk and accidentally knock it off or some crap.

i always end up breaking the case.

with www.steampowered.com no problems you can download a game you bought unlimited amount of times.