Best Stealth Game of 2013

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
I know it is considered an "alternative stealth" game, but I just got a beta invite (after waiting over 2 years) to spy party (PC), and it's by far the best stealth game I've played in the past 5 years. It's innovative in the sense that nothing plays like spy party. The only close exception is "the ship" which I'm sure barely any of you system warriors have played.

Basically, how the game is played is sniper vs spy. As a spy, you're within a party of usually over a dozen people. You need to complete objectives such as planting a bug on an ambassador, contacting a secret agent, swapping statues/inspecting statues, seducing a date and so fourth while a sniper is watching the party to distinguish you from the other dozen AI. Likewise, the sniper has to detect who the spy (player) is among the AI. The hardest part of being the sniper is, the AI is programmed to show "human error" in mis-clicks and other "giveaway" actions. Now, I know the current beta looks like trash (it's also a paid beta - $15 - unfortunately) but the game is going to be released in December 2013 and the redone player models have already been created.  old 2011 beta models  new 2013 player models as the game description via the online website says:
SpyParty is a spy game about human behavior, performance, perception, and deception. While most espionage games have you spend your time shooting stuff, blowing stuff up, and driving fast, SpyParty has you hide in plain sight, deceive your opponent, and detect subtle behavioral tells to achieve your objectives. Unlike the suave and confident spies you might find in films or books, most spies in spy games are more like super powered commandos--more Rambo than James Bond. By contrast, SpyParty is a new and quite different game about the more interesting and deeper aspects of being a spy.What is SpyParty
Spy Party will be the best alternative stealth game released in 2013 (and possible this entire gen) only on PC. addicting, fun, and high IQ - be jealous console peasants.
nothing will touch this game, and the only somewhat recent releases of traditional stealth that will even touch spy party are thief 2 and chaos theory... but even those titles won't match the replayability, fun, and intelligent design of spy party.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#2 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Some-Mist
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIvashkey
1) I thought that was released in 2012. 2) exactly what spy party separates itself from (excerpt from the game description - Unlike the suave and confident spies you might find in films or books, most spies in spy games are more like super powered commandos). 3) yikes, another rehash?
get real low IQ gamer.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i remember that game. reminds me of assassin's creed multiplayer. the 2013 stealth game i'm interested on is Monaco.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Sounds fun but I imagine it would get boring fairly quickly. And to call it the best stealth game is pretty silly since it's an incredibly simple idea that isn't as original as you're making it sound, it almost sounds like Assassins Creed's multiplayer, with more depth, and the idea of blending into crowds has been in Hitman for ages.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Some-Mist
Sounds fun but I imagine it would get boring fairly quickly. And to call it the best stealth game is pretty silly since it's an incredibly simple idea that isn't as original as you're making it sound, it almost sounds like Assassins Creed's multiplayer, with more depth, and the idea of blending into crowds has been in Hitman for ages.bobbetybob
I can see why people would be comparing assassin's creed multiplayer, but it's easily much more than AC could ever offer. The game is based around psychological tension. here are some review quotes to support my point: [quote="Anthony Burch on Destructoid"] There has never been a videogame like SpyParty. SpyParty is as cerebral and personal experience as Ive ever had with a multiplayer game. Despite being two years away from completion, the early version I saw still remains one of the most subtle, enjoyable, and surprisingly playful multiplayer games Ive yet played.

Part of what is so exciting about Spy Party is the stuff that happens around the game. Hecker has seen the game trigger strong emotional responses. I even felt it guilt of all things. Ive killed thousands millions? of enemy characters and even some friendly characters in video games with none of the pangs of consequence. I shot one innocent partygoer in Spy Party after tracking them for a few minutes, after being sure they were Chris Heckers avatar and up to no good, and then, as they lay dead on the floor I realized I was wrong. I felt bad.Stephen Totilo on Kotaku

Pure battle of wits stuff here, and seems totally fascinating. Its a couple of years away, at least in part due to a major general aesthetic upgrade, but well be watching it. Closely. Trying to work out if its a spy.Kieron Gillen on Rock Paper Shotgun

there's literally dozens of quotes which support my argument. If you haven't played the game, you simply don't understand. It's incredibly tense and addictingly fun.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrunoBRS

those quotes don't really say much about the game, really.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

you do realize that theres a similar mechanic in what you do in Assassins creed's multiplayer. trying to be the AI

Dont get me wrong, the concept is awesome and Spy party is definitley pushing it, is awesome how games have come from instead of AI's trying to be like real players, Real players are now trying to be AI's, Spy parties gonna be awesome but thats also something that made Assassins creed's multiplayer so inventive

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Some-Mist

BrunoBRS
I've already explained the game in the OP, and if you don't understand how it works - then look up some gameplay videos if you're truly interested. But if you're not interested and you're a fan of the stealth genre, you're truly missing out.
I know it's hard to appeal to mainstream gamers of SW - such as yourself - but if you give it a chance I can guarantee you'll become addicted (that is if you're truly a fan of the genre).
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Some-Mist

you do realize that theres a similar mechanic in what you do in Assassins creed's multiplayer. trying to be the AI

Dont get me wrong, the concept is awesome and Spy party is definitley pushing it, is awesome how games have come from instead of AI's trying to be like real players, Real players are now trying to be AI's, Spy parties gonna be awesome but thats also something that made Assassins creed's multiplayer so inventive

hotdiddykong
a quote via the spy party forums put's it best
I find the asymmetry interesting for a bunch of different design reasons, but in the case of the Turing test aspect of the game, I think its important because it allows the two players to relax into their roles. In games based on Assassin, like The Ship, and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, you are trying to hunt somebody and watch your back at the same time, and so the perception and deception challenges cant be that deep. In SpyParty, if youre the Sniper, you know the Spy cant get out of the party and come stab you in the back, so your entire job is just perception. Contrariwise, if youre the Spy, you know you cant pull a fast one and kill the Sniper, so you have to focus on the deception task. I think it makes for a lot deeper psychological game this waysp
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Another great example of PC hardware superiority :lol:
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#13 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Typical TC, hyping garbage. You should be ashamed of yourself you cretin.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#14 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
[QUOTE="vashkey"]Call of Duty: Black Ops IISome-Mist
1) I thought that was released in 2012. 2) exactly what spy party separates itself from (excerpt from the game description - Unlike the suave and confident spies you might find in films or books, most spies in spy games are more like super powered commandos). 3) yikes, another rehash?
get real low IQ gamer.

Because my post clearly was not a joke.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Some-Mist

Master_ShakeXXX
I only hype the best and innovative titles on here. I mean, I joined the forums in 2009 to hype Demon's Souls because of my asian preorder status and anticipating the best titles early. I guess that's typical tho. You're jealous because I hype GOTY titles while you hype scrub titles like that s**tty sniper game.

don't believe me? see for yourself scrub: DS. best you've hyped in vanquish which has barely gone anywhere.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

Some-Mist
I've already explained the game in the OP, and if you don't understand how it works - then look up some gameplay videos if you're truly interested. But if you're not interested and you're a fan of the stealth genre, you're truly missing out.
I know it's hard to appeal to mainstream gamers of SW - such as yourself - but if you give it a chance I can guarantee you'll become addicted (that is if you're truly a fan of the genre).

yes, passive-aggressive insulting is the way to go. makes your argument much more solid. you should stop being so defensive, you've already raged at a joke post, now you're resorting to PA. the game sounds a lot like AC multiplayer. when people said that, you said "it's not, look at these quotes". and then those quotes said nothing about the game itself.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Some-Mist
[QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

BrunoBRS

yes, passive-aggressive insulting is the way to go. makes your argument much more solid. you should stop being so defensive, you've already raged at a joke post, now you're resorting to PA. the game sounds a lot like AC multiplayer. when people said that, you said "it's not, look at these quotes". and then those quotes said nothing about the game itself.

read post quote Jan 13, 2013 2:17 pm CT. post #10. I know you're a low IQ gamer, but get back to me when you learn how to read replies before you reply yourself.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
yep, resorting to insults because of conflicting opinions. good luck being taken serious in this thread. also, your attitude does more damage to the game than benefit it.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Some-Mist
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]yep, resorting to insults because of conflicting opinions. good luck being taken serious in this thread. also, your attitude does more damage to the game than benefit it.

just keeping it real. sorry you feel insulted.
edit: and FYI that reply already explained why it differs from a shallow multiplayer system found in games such as assassin's creed.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Some-Mist
@Master_ShakeXXX: funny you finally learned to shutup when you're wrong :)
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#23 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Spy Party looks great, I very interested in this game.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Haven't heard about this game in ages. I love the concept and I'm looking forward to it. I have to agree though, the are some very strong similarities to Assassins's Creed multiplayer.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Some-Mist

I only hype the best and innovative titles on here. I mean, I joined the forums in 2009 to hype Demon's Souls because of my asian preorder status and anticipating the best titles early. I guess that's typical tho. You're jealous because I hype GOTY titles while you hype scrub titles like that s**tty sniper game.

don't believe me? see for yourself scrub: DS. best you've hyped in vanquish which has barely gone anywhere.

I smell jelly

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Lol.. People knocking on it looks, so typical..
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

I smell jelly

must be smelling yourself :)  I love it when posters rely on last decade's comebacks (especially from someone with bad taste in games and music). get with the times bro!
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_ShakeXXX

yep, resorting to insults because of conflicting opinions. good luck being taken serious in this thread. also, your attitude does more damage to the game than benefit it.BrunoBRS

I agree. OP is acting extremely immature and also threw insults my way. I must say I am quite offended by his behavior.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Splinter Cell Blacklist is easily gonna be the best stealth game
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]yep, resorting to insults because of conflicting opinions. good luck being taken serious in this thread. also, your attitude does more damage to the game than benefit it.Master_ShakeXXX

I agree. OP is acting extremely immature and also threw insults my way. I must say I am quite offended by his behavior.

your tears taste so good

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I love stealth games but multiplayer is boring so meh. Interesting idea though.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]yep, resorting to insults because of conflicting opinions. good luck being taken serious in this thread. also, your attitude does more damage to the game than benefit it.Some-Mist

your tears taste so good

you're a monster:cry:

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Some-Mist
don't try and dish what you can't take ^_^
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

i remember that game. reminds me of assassin's creed multiplayer.BrunoBRS

That's because Ubisoft hired the people who made the ship, took the idea for their AC multiplayer and then fired those people.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i remember that game. reminds me of assassin's creed multiplayer.R4gn4r0k

That's because Ubisoft hired the people who made the ship, took the idea for their AC multiplayer and then fired those people.

Lol, I don't think that's how it went down considering Ubisoft contracted them to make Bloody Good Time before shutting them down. Although if you have a link saying otherwise then lead me to it as I would find this mildly amusing. Kinda how DICE hired Trauma Studios after making the hugely successful Desert Combat mod, bringing them on to help work on Battlefield 2, and then disbanding them :lol:
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Crysis 3 DAY 1 BABY!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46282 Posts

Lol, I don't think that's how it went down considering Ubisoft contracted them to make Bloody Good Time before shutting them down. Although if you have a link saying otherwise then lead me to it as I would find this mildly amusing. Kinda how DICE hired Trauma Studios after making the hugely successful Desert Combat mod, bringing them on to help work on Battlefield 2, and then disbanding them :lol:AcidSoldner

I don't have the link anymore but a developer said on steam forums about what hell they had trying to develop Bloody Good Time with Ubisoft.

But yeah, that's basically what happened:P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#39 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The best stealth game of 2013? The PS Vita's Collection. What's not there is great at hiding.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

That actually seems like a neat game. Kinda makes me think of that game "The Ship," except with more stuff.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX
Keep in mind, folks, that this horny little boy was the same person who made a thread insisting Diablo III was the best game ever made.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

princeofshapeir
Keep in mind, folks, that this horny little boy was the same person who made a thread insisting Diablo III was the best game ever made.

:lol: BTW spy party looks awesome.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

Far Cry 3

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Yeah I saw this game on some website before. It looks great and the 2013 models look fantastic

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Ground Zeroes come out in '13? If so, this has no chance.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont even know what stealth games are coming out for 2013. All i know of is the last of us...and i dont know how much of a stealth game it is... Hopefully a thief 4 or tenchu 4 get released.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Ground Zeroes come out in '13? If so, this has no chance. senses_fail_06

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Meh is game doesn't look good at all.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Some-Mist
Ground Zeroes come out in '13? If so, this has no chance. senses_fail_06

anyways, last night I played 6 games against this player with a bit more experience that me. I won the first 2 sniper and first 2 spy rounds I played, then I played spy twice in a row and he marked me right off the bat (I miss clicked twice and he sniped me when I was pulling the chip out of one book before I even attempted to transfer it to another). Today, I had to urge to play while at work, and I played another 10 matches when I got home. It's refreshing since I really haven't been gaming much other than shmups due to boredom. The nerve-wracking intensity and rush I get from playing reminds me of back when I played hidden: source or the ship with an active community and it's extremely addicting.
My stomach just churns when I see that laser flying by and then focus on my player, and I get the same feeling when getting ready to shoot who I think might be the player. makes me want to play a couple of more matches just writing about it.
I can't wait to see how much the game develops and new maps are added over the next 11 months.