Beat Paper Mario 1000 Year Door and...

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

Now I see what the praise is about, holy sh!t was it epic.

Game ended with a bang, honestly never knew there was a Mario game of this nature, the game was dark.

What other Nintendo RPGs are on that level?

I've played Xenoblade X, it was good but the pacing was hurt with the open world grinding needed to progress the story.

My mind at that ending
My mind at that ending

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23729 Posts

I hear the Mario and Luigi games are legit, never gave them a go myself.

I just couldn't get into TTYD, I tried so many times. It's good, but it never really clicked for me, I'd always quit out before reaching the end.

Super Mario RPG is the only one I ever got into.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

I just couldn't get into TTYD, I tried so many times. It's good, but it never really clicked for me, I'd always quit out before reaching the end.

It slowed down in the middle and I was like eh...decided to stick with it and picks up a shit ton in the end.

I've played some of the Mario RPG games on the DS/3DS but never finished (they aren't bad, just extremely long).

I'll have to check Super Mario RPG out.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

I love the game, though I'll admit that's probably a whole lot of nostalgia tbh.

It's every bit as charming as you'd expect, plus it has that early 90s Squaresoft touch, but I'm not really sure how it holds up now.

I cautiously recommend it lol.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

@brah4ever:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story on DS is probably the best of the series. It's not long; looking at a 20 hour adventure.

Xenoblade on Wii or 3DS is far better than Xeno X.

And another vote for Super Mario RPG on SNES. It's not long either (about 15 hours?), not too challenging, but pretty quirky in a 90s sort of way.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brah4ever

@mmmwksil said:

@brah4ever:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story on DS is probably the best of the series. It's not long; looking at a 20 hour adventure.

Xenoblade on Wii or 3DS is far better than Xeno X.

And another vote for Super Mario RPG on SNES. It's not long either (about 15 hours?), not too challenging, but pretty quirky in a 90s sort of way.

The combat was better in X I think, the mech aspect brought an interesting take.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

I love the game, though I'll admit that's probably a whole lot of nostalgia tbh.

It's every bit as charming as you'd expect, plus it has that early 90s Squaresoft touch, but I'm not really sure how it holds up now.

I cautiously recommend it lol.

Np, I'll still check it out.

What's your favorite RPG of all time?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mmmwksil
@brah4ever said:

The combat was better in X I think, the mech aspect brought an interesting take.

Ehh... I suppose it's a matter of preference. I found X to be rather dull overall, but to each their own.

I would easily argue the first game had a better story to follow, and far more interesting characters. Bonus points to the dubbing which used British actors (and I am biased towards the accent).

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

For the longest time I would have said FFVI or Chrono Trigger. But my taste in RPGs has changed radically in recent years. In a broader sense, isometric CRPGs are the only ones that still interest me.

But anyways, I'd probably say one of the Souls games now. Demons, Dark Souls 1, or Bloodborne, all good shit. I think the truth of the matter is, I don't really care for RPGs so much as I care for some good action, crazy enemies, and interesting worlds. Souls games fit the bill.

Really looking forward to Nioh and Nier 2. Japan looks poised to take their ARPG dominance to the next level.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

TTYD is probably the crowning jewel of Nintendo RPGs.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

What does everyone here think about Super Paper Mario? It gets crapped on a lot but I thought it was pretty good game.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mmmwksil

@Gorillanator:

Fun to experience, but not really what I wanted from a sequel to the superb TTYD. I played it once, enjoyed the story, disliked the gameplay, and never went back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Should look into Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga next. If you enjoyed it, Bowser's Inside Story.

Ignore the others.

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

@Gorillanator said:

What does everyone here think about Super Paper Mario? It gets crapped on a lot but I thought it was pretty good game.

I didn't like it. IS took the PM series from a great thing to a gimmicky platformer. None of the games in the series have gone back to what made it great in the first place: being a RPG.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner

@Gorillanator said:

That's one of the games I scooped up the day I bought the Wii. Though I also picked up Metroid Prime 3 the same day, so I ended up shelving Super Paper Mario pretty quickly.

I never gave it much of a fair chance tbh, I'd like to give it another try. If I had to guess, it probably gets shit on because it wasn't the follow up to TTYD that people wanted. Not really sure if the harsh crits are warranted beyond that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Gorillanator said:

That's one of the games I scooped up the day I bought the Wii. Though I also picked up Metroid Prime 3 the same day, so I ended up shelving Super Paper Mario pretty quickly.

I never gave it much of a fair chance tbh, I'd like to give it another try. If I had to guess, it probably gets shit on because it wasn't the follow up to TTYD that people wanted. Not really sure if the harsh crits are warranted beyond that.

Paper Mario fans didn't yet know what suffering was...

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brah4ever

@mmmwksil said:
@brah4ever said:

Ehh... I suppose it's a matter of preference. I found X to be rather dull overall, but to each their own.

I would easily argue the first game had a better story to follow, and far more interesting characters. Bonus points to the dubbing which used British actors (and I am biased towards the accent).

The first game easily had the better story.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

TTYD is one of the best games of all time.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

For the longest time I would have said FFVI or Chrono Trigger. But my taste in RPGs has changed radically in recent years. In a broader sense, isometric CRPGs are the only ones that still interest me.

But anyways, I'd probably say one of the Souls games now. Demons, Dark Souls 1, or Bloodborne, all good shit. I think the truth of the matter is, I don't really care for RPGs so much as I care for some good action, crazy enemies, and interesting worlds. Souls games fit the bill.

Really looking forward to Nioh and Nier 2. Japan looks poised to take their ARPG dominance to the next level.

Bayonetta 2 vs Ninja Gaiden Black vs Souls/Bloodborne

Who wins?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Unlocking. No idea who locked originally. Please reach out via PM if you have an issue.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner

@darkspineslayer:

You da man!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

Who wins?

NGB > Bayo 2 > varying degrees of Soulsborne.

Though honestly I'd hate to have to choose, they're all so excellent in different ways.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brah4ever

@darkspineslayer said:

Unlocking. No idea who locked originally. Please reach out via PM if you have an issue.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Holds up well don't worry. Mechanics are pretty basic but fun and the interactivity in the turn-based combat breaks the monotony. Graphics still look good, game is hilarious and charming. Excellent game overall and I'd definitely recommend it to this day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Try Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story

@Gorillanator said:

I like it

@brah4ever said:

Now I see what the praise is about, holy sh!t was it epic.

Game ended with a bang, honestly never knew there was a Mario game of this nature, the game was dark.

What other Nintendo RPGs are on that level?

I've played Xenoblade X, it was good but the pacing was hurt with the open world grinding needed to progress the story.

Bro, TTYD was an amazing game.

Uh, I'd recommend Xenoblade (the original), you can get it for the Wii, 3DS, or Wii U. Wii U might be your best bet, it's $20 and on the eShop, so no having to hunt down an expensive copy. 3DS version isn't half bad either (that's the one I played, I had no complaints).

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: I feel like Bayo and NG are too different to be really comparable to Bloodborne. Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry hell even Viewtiful Joe are straight up action/beat'em ups.

Souls games are heavy in the adventuring/exploration and have some elements of roleplaying.

It's cliche but to me it's like comparing apples to oranges.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If only recent Paper Mario games were just as good.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner

@Juub1990 said:

@ConanTheStoner: I feel like Bayo and NG are too different to be really comparable to Bloodborne. Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry hell even Viewtiful Joe are straight up action/beat'em ups.

Souls games are heavy in the adventuring/exploration and have some elements of roleplaying.

Oh absolutely. I thought it was an odd comparison too lol.

But still, just as all around games, that's how I'd rank my personal enjoyment of them. Pure action is more my thing these days.

@Juub1990 said:

@ConanTheStoner: Holds up well don't worry. Mechanics are pretty basic but fun and the interactivity in the turn-based combat breaks the monotony. Graphics still look good, game is hilarious and charming. Excellent game overall and I'd definitely recommend it to this day.

Yeah I got one of my kid sisters playing it a couple of years back. I watched her play a few sections and it still looked really fun. I've been meaning to replay it and Chrono, just too many games man.

On a random note, I always wished Square and Nintendo could have teamed up for a Zelda RPG back then, would've been legit.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Superb game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

It's the one Paper Mario game I haven't played yet. I loved the original Paper Mario and it's still my favorite in the series. Super Paper Mario was a lot of fun for me even if the gameplay was different. The story hit me right in the feels and the humor was top notch. I'm pretty open to new play styles, so I guess that's why I never have a huge problem with most games that change up the formula (for better or worse). Color Splash actually surprised me. It has an annoying combat system, a bare-bones plot, and too many Toads (probably my biggest grievance in terms of changing the series, I love a diverse cast of characters in RPGs, i.e. dwarves, elves, humans, etc.). Otherwise, I genuinely enjoyed it.

As for other games: Mario and Luigi, Mario RPG, Xenoblade Chronicles (original, since you've played X), Pandora's Tower (not 100% Nintendo's, but I heard it was decent, though there are conflicting reports on that), and maybe Bravely Default? Bravely is also not a Nintendo RPG, but it is a Square Enix exclusive to the 3DS and worth checking out.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

You should play the N64 Paper Mario then! In my eyes the original is slightly better than TTYD, but if I made a top 25 games list I think they'd both be in there.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Juub1990 said:

Oh absolutely. I thought it was an odd comparison too lol.

But still, just as all around games, that's how I'd rank my personal enjoyment of them. Pure action is more my thing these days.

@Juub1990 said:

Yeah I got one of my kid sisters playing it a couple of years back. I watched her play a few sections and it still looked really fun. I've been meaning to replay it and Chrono, just too many games man.

On a random note, I always wished Square and Nintendo could have teamed up for a Zelda RPG back then, would've been legit.

Oh man, the possibilities!
Oh man, the possibilities!

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts

Now when you play Sticker Star and Color Splash, you will feel a slight bit of rage and the need to hit something. I just want to let you know it's normal to feel this way.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Brah4ever

@Ghost120x said:

Now when you play Sticker Star and Color Splash, you will feel a slight bit of rage and the need to hit something. I just want to let you know it's normal to feel this way.

=(

My plan was to try Color Splash after TTYD.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Yup. I just recently played through it for the first time since the GC era. What a great game.

My favorite Mario RPG game for sure (yeah I think it's a better game than SNES Mario RPG and Paper Mario 64 - all three are top-notch games).

TTYD is probably in my top 3 as far as games that feature Mario.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brah4ever

@pyro1245 said:

Yup. I just recently played through it for the first time since the GC era. What a great game.

My favorite Mario RPG game for sure (yeah I think it's a better game than SNES Mario RPG and Paper Mario 64 - all three are top-notch games).

TTYD is probably in my top 3 as far as games that feature Mario.

The soundtrack was god tier.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Otherwise Mother 3 is the best video game story.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

Who wins?

Trick question:

ANSWER: Nioh!

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Brah4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

Elaborate.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56420 Posts

I like Paper Mario N64 more so then Thousand-Year Door.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brah4ever

@casharmy said:
@brah4ever said:
@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

Who wins?

Trick question:

ANSWER: Nioh!

NiOH has what it takes to be among the kings of kings?

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I really like TTYD but I'm a bigger fan of the original which is one of my favorite RPGs ever. I really hope Nintendo gets their shit together and releases a game like the first two.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp
@brah4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Elaborate.

There is nothing to elaborate. It's a well written story by Shigesato Itoi, and purely character wise Lucas is well rounded and properly developed over the course of the game. On a base level it's a solid story, which should be priority #1, added bonus it's also got a lot of compelling themes to go along with it, that naturally ties into who Lucas is. Story centers around the nature of growing up, how short life itself is, and general empathy.

It would have been solid as a book (not surprisingly Itoi is an author), in the realm of games where the stories are pretty unimpressive, it's pretty legit.

There is are fan translations you can get for the jack sparrow copy, and it's an absolute must play if you like story telling in video games. Plus gameplay wise, it's like Earthbound, if it was good.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Brah4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@brah4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Elaborate.

There is nothing to elaborate. It's a well written story by Shigesato Itoi, and purely character wise Lucas is well rounded and properly developed over the course of the game. On a base level it's a solid story, which should be priority #1, added bonus it's also got a lot of compelling themes to go along with it, that naturally ties into who Lucas is. Story centers around the nature of growing up, how short life itself is, and general empathy.

It would have been solid as a book (not surprisingly Itoi is an author), in the realm of games where the stories are pretty unimpressive, it's pretty legit.

There is are fan translations you can get for the jack sparrow copy, and it's an absolute must play if you like story telling in video games. Plus gameplay wise, it's like Earthbound, if it was good.

Interesting, my only gripe about Earthbound style RPGs is that you can't see spell effects.

Another thing, movie stories on average aren't really better than game stories. Most movie plots revolve extremely basic concepts.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
@brah4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Interesting, my only gripe about Earthbound style RPGs is that you can't see spell effects.

Another thing, movie stories on average aren't really better than game stories. Most movie plots revolve extremely basic concepts.

Fallacy: most things are bad, because that's how the word most works. Most video games are technically bad, we get like thousands of games in a given year, like maybe 30 are worth playing. So that doesn't fly, but good movies versus what is considered good for video games it's not even close. Film supremely shits on this medium. This medium in contrast is far too busy trying to ape films, for starters.

That and the age old naive sentiment: a complex story is a good story. Not really, a lot of the best stories revolve around characters and tend to be fairly simple. Film's advantage, like literature, and to a lesser extent television, is that they are organic story telling mediums. They can naturally progress the story where it needs to go, games need to at some point capitulate to the game, that's why a lot of them the game isn't part of the story. For instance we ignore how fail states work, when they are a fundamental part about being a video game.

The error gamers have made is that gaming is like movies, nah gaming is more like connect 4, but with cutscenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@Gorillanator said:

I thought it was amazing. TTYD was the best in the series by a mile and they got progressively worse. SPM was great though, I thought.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

I agree, the game is amazing. One of the few games I had trouble putting down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@brah4ever said:
@Ghost120x said:

=(

Oh you sweet, summer child...

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:
@brah4ever said:
@Ghost120x said:

=(

Oh you sweet, summer child...

No. That's exactly what he must do. He needs to see where the outrage comes from.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp

Why not just not play anymore Paper Mario games, it's all downhill after TTYD anyway. Super Paper Mario is boring as hell, could only imagine how bad the other paper marios must be for dweebs who like SPM to dislike that shit.