Audience wants shorter games - Argonauts dev

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arm9218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arm9218
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=170595

what do you think? i agree with certain games like shooters, but with RPGs. adventure games, etc i like them long.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

Maybe action or FPS titles are excusable for being short, but for Adventure/RPG games? No less than 15 hours. Period.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts
Really? Because I'm part of the "audience" and I want longer games... and I know many people are with me on that.
SaL_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 SaL_92
Member since 2005 • 4106 Posts
Really? Because I'm part of the "audience" and I want longer games... and I know many people are with me on that.jethrovegas
im with him, i dont want a game that i bought for $100 to last me only 10 hours
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The problem isn't game length, but how long you have to play to earn a sense of accomplishment. For example I can sit down and play a game like Patapon or Forza 2 for only a couple of minutes and still have a blast, but with a game like Lost Odyssey or Metroid Prime I'll probably have to play for at least 30 minutes to really accomplish anything, and even then it probably won't be much.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Maybe action or FPS titles are excusable for being short, but for Adventure/RPG games? No less than 15 hours. Period.

-Jiggles-

True. RPGs absolutely MUST be longer than 15 hours. Imagine if Final Fatnasy 7 was only 12 hours, how bad that would be.

Freddie9027361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Freddie9027361
Member since 2003 • 1746 Posts
I have no problem with short games, as long as they get produced quicker and are cheaper.
cronus233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cronus233
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

what do you think? i agree with certain games like shooters, but with RPGs. adventure games, etc i like them long.

arm9218
Same here. The thing is with shooters I'll replay them if they have fun unlockables, some sort of award system much like Prime 3. But with RPGs, I'd rather have a game that's long but not so long were I'll want to rush to beat it.
TheNuyorican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheNuyorican
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts

Really? Because I'm part of the "audience" and I want longer games... and I know many people are with me on that.jethrovegas

Are you one of those people who will buy a game and play it nonstop trying to beat it as quick as possible?

Game length =/= Good game.

I would rather take a 10 hour game that is great over a 50 hour game that is average.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

I like all my gamess to take a long time.

Or have awesome replay value in the single player.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

"Gamers have evolved and can't afford to spend "days and days on end" trawling through lengthy adventures"

That's what saving is for...:roll:

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
I think they need to stop telling us what we want.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And here I am 55 hours into Persona 3 FES and not even two thirds done. I guess because it isn't short then I must not be enjoying it.

These guys are definitely wrong. Gamers don't want shorter games and they don't want longer games either. They want more quality experiences that last as long as they should, whether that be 4 hours, 40 hours or 400 hours. A game's inherent value is not drawn from the time you spend with it but how much you actually enjoyed playing the game.

I spent only about 7 or 8 hours beating both Max Payne games and found them to be both stunning experiences. Even though they only lasted under 10 hours they were still enthralling and adrenaline pumping experiences. And as I already mentioned, I've spent just over 50 hours with Persona 3 FES and am still enjoying every minute of it, even if level grinding in Tartarus can get taxing after a while (but then there is the reward of being able to fuse higher level Personas and being stronger at the same time so it all works out).

Devs need to stop assuming what gamers want and start listening to what they want.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]Really? Because I'm part of the "audience" and I want longer games... and I know many people are with me on that.TheNuyorican

Are you one of those people who will buy a game and play it nonstop trying to beat it as quick as possible?

Game length =/= Good game.

I would rather take a 10 hour game that is great over a 50 hour game that is average.

"Game length =/= good game."

That is true. But, assuming all other things are equal between two titles, I'm buying the one that offers me the most bang for my buck.

piano_pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 piano_pimp
Member since 2005 • 759 Posts
[QUOTE="arm9218"]

farrell2k

Take out the pointless leveling of most RPGs and you a

[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

PandaBear86

True. RPGs absolutely MUST be longer than 15 hours. Imagine if Final Fatnasy 7 was only 12 hours, how bad that would be.

I've never player a FF game, but I imagine that if you take out all of the random battles and the need for leveling, you'd probably only have a few hoirs of actual play time.

and take all the enemies out of a shooter, and you could beat it in minutes.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
thats absolutely wrong what people want longer games and want their moneys worth but some games take it to far and make you grind and thats what alot of games do to give you the illusion that they are long
Shafftehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shafftehr
Member since 2008 • 2889 Posts
The audience doesn't want shorter games. They want games that take less time to get something out of, and continue giving for more time. Nobody wants a game that, when you're looking to play more because it has you hooked, has nothing left to offer.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
I think they mean console games. The vast majority of which are aimed at casuals. PC games are usually longer.
AntiType

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AntiType
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
Did they just tell ME what I want???!!! >:0
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

The audience doesn't want shorter games. They want games that take less time to get something out of, and continue giving for more time. Nobody wants a game that, when you're looking to play more because it has you hooked, has nothing left to offer.Shafftehr

You hit the nail right on the head my friend! :D

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

if its an FPS i wouldnt mind having an sp campaign 6hrs long... since i would spend much more time online.... but still longer sp are always welcome... surely when it comes to action/adventure/rpgs they must be long... action/adventure games should be around a 15hour campaign... as much as i like Heavenly Sword, finishing it under 6 hrs was a bit disappointing..

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Justification for them to work less on their own game.

Hopefully it flops, in sales and reviews, but especially in sales so the company can lose heaps of cash. :)

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
As long as the game has great online multiplayer, the single player can be 1 hour for all I care.

Long single player games are boring and tedious.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
And the sales of Ritalin are increasing right?
-Montauk-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Montauk-
Member since 2007 • 880 Posts
Every time someone invests 25 hours of their life into a game and then realises there's another 75 hours to goStupid Dev
What is he talking about? If you're lucky you'd spend 100 hours across three games, not one. Probably more than three with most games...
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
I dont mind short games but paying $60 for a 5-10 hour game is absurd I dont care if it looks pretty or has amazing physics, its like paying $15 for one cheeseburger.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skrat_01

I dont mind short games but paying $60 for a 5-10 hour game is absurd I dont care if it looks pretty or has amazing physics, its like paying $15 for one cheeseburger.Ballroompirate
You could be paying $15 for the tastiest burger in the world.

However the length of a game should be comparable to the price tag.

Games like Portal hit the sweet spot; cheap price, good play time before the game-play gets tiresome.

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

I am! I'm so not buying Argonauts after that stupid comment.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts

I agree

these days the move is being made towards multiplayer (see Wii and XBox Live). Devs are less interested in giving you more time with the game and instead they're trying to pack as much in to as short time as possible

Ironically if you want long RPGs these days you'll find them on handhelds

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skrat_01

I agree

these days the move is being made towards multiplayer (see Wii and XBox Live). Devs are less interested in giving you more time with the game and instead they're trying to pack as much in to as short time as possible

vicmackey39

Peee Ceee

The Witcher folks, one of the longest ArrrPeeeGeees in a while ;)

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="vicmackey39"]

I agree

skrat_01

Peee Ceee

Handhelds RPGs are short, PC is indeed one of them, The Witcher was fairly long and it never faultered the experiance.

It took me 80 hours to beat Persona 3, and I've already put about 15 or so into the extra chapter that came on the 2nd release with Persona 3: FES. Persona 4 is out by year end too. :)

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
If anything, I want my RPGs to be longer. KoToR games did it right for me. 11 hours for the main body, then endless more hours if you want to explore all the quest options.
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
I think they meant "We as developers want to spent as little time and money as possible"
Cipher92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cipher92
Member since 2003 • 320 Posts
I have no problem with short games, as long as they get produced quicker and are cheaper.Freddie9027361
Take Crysis, 4 hours of gameplay, runs like crap on most PC's, and the story wasn't that superb. No, as fasr as I'm concerned LONGER is better. I enjoyed half life 2 even if some of the levels were baron and long and empty. It's still better than the shortness that is crysis, and gears of war. I love grears of war by the way, but had they given it more than 6 hours of play, it could have been my favorite game of all time. Longer is always better. Most of the development time is the engine and plot, once the level design kicks in, i'ts only months until completion, so there is no reason for shortness these days.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="arm9218"]

farrell2k

Take out the pointless leveling of most RPGs and you a

[QUOTE="-Jiggles-"]

PandaBear86

I've never player a FF game, but I imagine that if you take out all of the random battles and the need for leveling, you'd probably only have a few hoirs of actual play time.

What the hell? RPGs without character progression would be the very definition of crap.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Argonauts 5 hours confirmed.
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vicmackey39

Peee Ceee

skrat_01

Even WRPGs seem to be making a shift

look at fallout and mass effect

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
I'd never touch an rpg shorter than 50 hours...
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

This sounds like someone who is looking at the Wii, saying "Gee, the Wii sure sells a lot of units AND party games. That must mean all gamers want is short games that can be beat in an hour".

Either that, or he is looking at games like Rockband and Guitar Hero, which can be played in 10 minutes if you want, and thinking that all games must be short if they hope to be as popular.

The way I see it, the greatness of a game does not depend on length, BUT a game should accomplish what it sets out to accomplish. HEavenly Sword was only 5 or 6 hours to beat, and I felt like the game was a masterpiece. Like I was playing somethign special. Was it over too soon? Sure, but the game felt like a complete product that the developers poured their soul into from begining to end.

Games should be seen as movies. They should be the proper length for what you are trying to do. If it is too long, it feels boring and dragged out and players lose interest. But if it is too short then the game feels rushed and sloppily thrown together.

The biggest problem, though, is that too many so-called "gamers" don't care about the vision or the whole product. They don't care about quality and want every game to be 40 hours long (or more) because otherwise they feel like they are wasting their time and money. That doesn't sound like a real gamer to me. A real gamer should care more about the quality of the product and less about how drawn out developers can make the game.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vicmackey39

I want to see a game that is only about 5 hours long, yet in those 5 hours you can basically do whatever you want and it'll all effect the story. Every decision you make has a consequence and every consequence changes the game significantly

it would be different every time you played it

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i want longer games. It makes me feel like $50-$60 was put to good use
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts
I like my games long ...30 hour FPS please .
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

i'm so goddamn tired of games getting shorter and shorter this gen. its why i rent more often now

an FPS should take a solid 15 hours

everything else 20+

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I want games that deliver a satisfying length; there seems to be a lack of that nowadays.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Imo it's not about length, but about replay value. Plus I'll take an 10hour action packed game over an 20 hour borefest anyday.

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Anyone who wants shorter games in general is denying themselves of what is truly enjoyable about a lot of games. For FPS, sure, those can be shorter since most modern ones rely on multiplayer as a length crutch anyway. But for RPG's and Adventure games, anything less than 15-20 hours is unaccetable. I need to play a RPG for at least 30 minutes to an hour at a time to actually feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

This sounds like someone who is looking at the Wii, saying "Gee, the Wii sure sells a lot of units AND party games. That must mean all gamers want is short games that can be beat in an hour".

Either that, or he is looking at games like Rockband and Guitar Hero, which can be played in 10 minutes if you want, and thinking that all games must be short if they hope to be as popular.

The way I see it, the greatness of a game does not depend on length, BUT a game should accomplish what it sets out to accomplish. HEavenly Sword was only 5 or 6 hours to beat, and I felt like the game was a masterpiece. Like I was playing somethign special. Was it over too soon? Sure, but the game felt like a complete product that the developers poured their soul into from begining to end.

Games should be seen as movies. They should be the proper length for what you are trying to do. If it is too long, it feels boring and dragged out and players lose interest. But if it is too short then the game feels rushed and sloppily thrown together.

The biggest problem, though, is that too many so-called "gamers" don't care about the vision or the whole product. They don't care about quality and want every game to be 40 hours long (or more) because otherwise they feel like they are wasting their time and money. That doesn't sound like a real gamer to me. A real gamer should care more about the quality of the product and less about how drawn out developers can make the game.

ZIMdoom

I have no problem with a game being short.

The problem I have is paying 60$ for a 6 hour game, Its just not worth it.

If they want to make shorter games its fine, but I then I expect to see game being released faster and at a lower price.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#49 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Shorter games??

Who have they been talking to?

If the game has a pretty deep online componant then sure, I understand if the campaign is short-ish but if the bread and butter is the single player then I want some length

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Hai guyz, let's make 5 hour games with NO REPLAY VALUE and sell them for 50 €

What a retard I want LONGER games with more REPLAY VALUE. If I'm gonna buy 50 € for something I sure as hell want it to last 50+ hours. This is the main reason I'm not buying new games anymore, they are TOO SHORT, have no replay value at all and are really goddamn boring and unoriginal compared to anything from the 90's. If this is the direction the devs are going, I'm going to pirate everything, I don't care if gaming dies then, it's already past it's prime anyways.