At This Rate, Microsoft Will Never Win A Console War.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts

MS kicked of next gen with xbox 360 on Nov 2005, but since then the wii has surpassed it.

And now Sony is claiming that PS3 is on its way to beat 360 in sale figures which could mean a bigger attach rate.

So do u the people think MS can win this gen or any gen in our lifetime?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.
MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts
MS did win this gen when they realeased Halo 3, COD4 and soon GTAIV all one one platform. For me at least.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

MS kicked of next gen with xbox 360 on Nov 2005, but since then the wii has surpassed it.

And now Sony is claiming that PS3 is on its way to beat 360 in sale figures which could mean a bigger attach rate.

PSP107

So basically, you're asking will Microsoft ever win? Forever is a long time, and the 360 has built on the original Xbox, so there is no reason to think it can't or won't happen.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#5 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

If history truly repeats its self, you're right. Companies have only ever taken the top spot in the market in their 1st and second generations

1. Atari
  2. Atari
  3. Nintendo
  4. Nintendo
  5. Sony
  6. Sony
  7. ???

But history has to do something different this time, because there is no company entering the market this time.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

If history truly repeats its self, you're right. Companies have only ever taken the top spot in the market in their 1st and second generations

1. Atari
  2. Atari
  3. Nintendo
  4. Nintendo
  5. Sony
  6. Sony
  7. Nintendo

But history has to do something different this time, because there is no company entering the market this time.

BuryMe

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
No offense, but unless microsoft literally sell no consoles this year, there's no chance the PS3 is going to beat the 360. It just wont happen. Its not selling in America. It's not selling in the UK. It's not selling nearly as well as they'd like in Japan. Literally their only strong user bases are in the likes of France and Spain, which on a global scales, aren't the markets a console manufacturer will be aiming for.
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts

Wii is going to win probably(I think the Wii is dumb thoough). But it all depends on how good MGS4, Killzone2, Resistance2 turn out. Aswell Xbox360's got some weak exclusives this year. I think ony will beat Xbox360 on a month to month basis in this tyear anyways.

Their both great systems anyways.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

No offense, but unless microsoft literally sell no consoles this year, there's no chance the PS3 is going to beat the 360. It just wont happen. Its not selling in America. It's not selling in the UK. It's not selling nearly as well as they'd like in Japan. Literally their only strong user bases are in the likes of France and Spain, which on a global scales, aren't the markets a console manufacturer will be aiming for.Ninja-Vox

true, but cows hate logic and won't listen

Just_in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Just_in
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts
They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.JiveT

Can't wait till you read the book " Red rings of Death."
Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts
Actually it is selling in the UK. It equals the 360 over there, the two consoles pretty much see-saw ona month to month. However, in the entire PAL region, the PS3 is outselling the 360 by a nice amount considering no good games came out on it. And the PS3 is seeing a slow but steady turnaround here in the states as well. Don't need to remind you how its going in Japan.
long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 long_dong_goo
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts

PSP107

They could've won this gen if they didn't package such shoddy hardware in their boxes.

MCGSMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MCGSMB
Member since 2007 • 2149 Posts

[QUOTE="JiveT"]They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.Just_in

I already have and I still love it. Your statement seems to mean nothing...

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
MS dosent have to "win" anything to prove that it can make a imprint in the console market. Look at the 360 now its stolen alot of exclusives away from the ps3 and has been the lead platform for alot of games. The online community is robust and the software and hardware sales are impresive. They dont have to win to become a great console maker as many cow's belive with the ps3.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

How in the world could having more consoles out there lead to a bigger attach rate? Attach rate is games sold per person not games sold as a whole. I'm fairly certain that the attach rates will remain pretty consistent throughout the lifecycle of the console (percentage wise between all consoles). It might go up or down a few points but I feel that the attach rates are pretty much locked. The games coming out this year that the Sony fans are waiting for may put them on par with the 360 but it will never pass it.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

[QUOTE="JiveT"]They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.Just_in

You are actually wishing bad things on a stranger's console? That, more than anything outrageous even the most rabid cow has ever said, is the purist fanboy comment I've ever heard.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
nicely put.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

lol saleswise Microsoft has lost the console but game-wise it's definitely up there with the best, I just happen to prefer Nintendo & Sony's offering but 360 definitely is a great gaming machine... when it's not breaking on you :lol:

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

MS dosent have to "win" anything to prove that it can make a imprint in the console market. Look at the 360 now its stolen alot of exclusives away from the ps3 and has been the lead platform for alot of games. The online community is robust and the software and hardware sales are impresive. They dont have to win to become a great console maker as many cow's belive with the ps3.Gh0st_Of_0nyx
I think Ms has already won. Nintendo has won as well. Microsoft has stolen quite a few PS2 users as well as quite a few Playstation only games and are slowly inching their way up. Nintendo on the other hand has completely dominated Sony.

I remember before any of the consoles was released PS2 users were going on and on about how they had the best consoles for generations to come and how they were going to break the record of a console maker only having 2 consecutive consoles as the top consoles. Well that record still has not been broken.

long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 long_dong_goo

:D

I heard it has one heck of an ending.

MagicMan4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MagicMan4597
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

Microsoft has already won this battle. The 360 was intended to steal some of Sony's fanbase and that is exactly what it did...except they didn't know that it was Nintendo they had to worry about.

It's just one step to many that Microsoft will make with the Xbox brand.

-HalleR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -HalleR-
Member since 2008 • 612 Posts
MS did win this gen when they realeased Halo 3, COD4 and soon GTAIV all one one platform. For me at least.MCGSMB

its too bad that halo3 sucks. the other games arent exclusive.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
good i rather see sega win a consoke war befor ms
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

Microsoft is only buying SEGa time for a comeback. they're currently holding Sony down while nintendo gets their licks in, after that SEGa comes back.

9/9/09

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

That would make your book a work of fiction.

The fact of the matter is that the Wii and PC have both outsold the 360, and the PC is beating it in AAAe and AAe... so, as strange as it sounds, the current winners of the generation are the least powerful, least expensive system, and the most powerful, and potentially most expensive system.

Fact is stranger than fiction.

jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jessie5788
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
ms shoot themselves in the foot this gen. look they have these games yes but they don't apply to everyone. crap hardware.. this is a no brainier that people don't want to deal with faulty hardware and ms still hasn't fixed the problem. overcharging people is a big one why pay for online when everyone else gets it free. also they overcharge on accessories also. wifi adapter hardrive. speaking of hardrive burnout now requires an hdd to play online. what about the core users. thats a huge majority of people that are getting screwed. and its not so simple to get a hdd have you seen the price for one of those for the 360 talk about a rip off. the point is more games are going to require hdd. Ms also does not have ww support. if ms had ww support this thread wouldn't be here because they would have over 20 million by now with the wii close behind.
Taz-Bone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Taz-Bone
Member since 2004 • 1388 Posts
Maybe not, Nintendo will. I hope it does well, but I just care about the games really.
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Summer '08 is when there is no more RROD. So that book isn't going to be cancelled. :lol:

long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 long_dong_goo

ms shoot themselves in the foot this gen. look they have these games yes but they don't apply to everyone. crap hardware.. this is a no brainier that people don't want to deal with faulty hardware and ms still hasn't fixed the problem. overcharging people is a big one why pay for online when everyone else gets it free. also they overcharge on accessories also. wifi adapter hardrive. speaking of hardrive burnout now requires an hdd to play online. what about the core users. thats a huge majority of people that are getting screwed. and its not so simple to get a hdd have you seen the price for one of those for the 360 talk about a rip off. the point is more games are going to require hdd. Ms also does not have ww support. if ms had ww support this thread wouldn't be here because they would have over 20 million by now with the wii close behind.jessie5788

What's WW support?

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
No. Sony won last gen, and chances are Nintendo will win this gen (going by sales) maybe next gen Microsoft can try
long_dong_goo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 long_dong_goo

[QUOTE="Just_in"][QUOTE="JiveT"]They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.PS3_3DO

Summer '08 is when there is no more RROD. So that book isn't going to be cancelled. :lol:

Things I've heard before:

"No more RROD after launch."

"No more RROD after the Zephyr."

"No more RROD after the Elite."

"No more RROD after the Halo model."

"No more RROD after the Falcon."

"No more RROD after Summer' 08"

:roll:

Yeah, okay.

metroidprime_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 metroidprime_1
Member since 2006 • 4768 Posts

[QUOTE="Just_in"][QUOTE="JiveT"]They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.long_dong_goo

:D

I heard it has one heck of an ending.

:lol: Well long term only one game is saving the PS3 and thats God of War 3 once that game comes out then thats the right time to buy a PS3.
gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts

Microsoft has already won this battle. The 360 was intended to steal some of Sony's fanbase and that is exactly what it did...except they didn't know that it was Nintendo they had to worry about.

It's just one step to many that Microsoft will make with the Xbox brand.

MagicMan4597

Yeah your right. I believe that MS won their own little peronsal battle, they dipped into the ps3 fanbase. Well at least the hardcore fanbase.

DragonPulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DragonPulse
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Almost everyone loves the 360 but the ps3 is soon to rise up with new games that will change things for sure.....360 is great but dont forget you are risking the red ring of death and that the ps3 has yet to show all its true value....however it does not make you risk anything and online play is free....well microsoft i love you but dont know what to say now:|
patrickjw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 patrickjw333
Member since 2004 • 809 Posts

MS did win this gen when they realeased Halo 3, COD4 and soon GTAIV all one one platform. For me at least.MCGSMB

thats the dumbest post ive read in a while halo 3 sux and the other 2 games are multi-plat you phail sir :lol:

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I wouldn't count MS out yet. Will it outsell the Wii? Probably not, but its too early to write off MS (or Sony for that matter). They're in a position to drastically cut the 360's price, they still have the best online service, and while the 360's lineup isn't as strong as it was 07, there are still some solid titles coming out like Fable 2, Halo Wars, Too Human and Ninja Gaiden 2. With some smart decisions and a couple of lucky bounces MS could still come out of this generation on top.
Burnsmiesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Burnsmiesta
Member since 2004 • 1672 Posts

That was quite possibly the worst insult my eyes have ever had the misfortune of reading.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Remind me again of the dire consequences of them not winning. Does that mean I did not play all the great games that I thought I played of the last couple of years?

I'm not making a dime on it so what do I care if the 360 comes in fourth behind the PC, Wii and PS3.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

No offense, but unless microsoft literally sell no consoles this year, there's no chance the PS3 is going to beat the 360. It just wont happen. Its not selling in America. It's not selling in the UK. It's not selling nearly as well as they'd like in Japan. Literally their only strong user bases are in the likes of France and Spain, which on a global scales, aren't the markets a console manufacturer will be aiming for.Ninja-Vox

Finally someone else whos realizing the UK, USA and Japan are the biggest gaming countrys world wide. You need those three countrys buying your console to think about winning. Europe, America and Japan captured. No offence meant to the rest of Europe but the UK buys a lot more games than the other EU countries.

the 360 has America and the UK captured, their out selling the PS3. The PS3 has Japan, which, sorry to say isn't enough anymore. And the wii? That's outselling both everywhere. :D

But I'm happy with my 360, the games this gen have been great imo i've never bought so many games before as i have iwth the 360.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

[QUOTE="MCGSMB"]MS did win this gen when they realeased Halo 3, COD4 and soon GTAIV all one one platform. For me at least.-HalleR-

its too bad that halo3 sucks. the other games arent exclusive.

It's too bad your opinion sucks.

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

Wii isnt next gen, and there are a great number more casuals that will buy a novelty item for their little kids then a serious gaming machine. Im sick of reading this.

PSP107
JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

[QUOTE="Just_in"][QUOTE="JiveT"]They already won in my book and that's the only one I read.long_dong_goo

Things I've heard before:

"No more RROD after launch."

"No more RROD after the Zephyr."

"No more RROD after the Elite."

"No more RROD after the Halo model."

"No more RROD after the Falcon."

"No more RROD after Summer' 08"

:roll:

Yeah, okay.

First off where did you hear the first 3? Secondly the Falcon sets are still being implemented and by all accounts there is a very good chance that will greatly reduce or eliminate RROD nothing released prior to the falcon sets did anything to fix the problem. The elite and Halo models were essentially still the same internally with SOME having a partial fix. By the way how many Halo models have suffered from RROD, any numbers ? Didn't think so. So scoff all you want he made a valid point and nothing you said does anything to refute it.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

PSP107

MS will try to release the 720 a year earlier than the competition.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
i don't know. i just think lemmings are not as active as they used to be, and that must mean a lot since gamespot is the place with more 360 supporters i've ever seen. things are looking good for Sony, they're getting a lot of great news lately. In MS' camp, things are quiet. Maybe they have something up their sleeve... yet even if they have i don't think it's enough to stop Sony this year. The momentum has shifted, seeing lemmings in DC is becoming more common every day in SW... that must mean something. And i'm not mentioning Nintendo because... isn't the wii selling faster than the PS2 did? if things continue like this for them, it's a secured number 1.
JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts
Oh and as far as the topic goes...Microsoft doesn't have to WIN to stay in the race which is really all that matters in the long run. As long as they can find a way to be profitable who cares if they're ever the top seller. They've already done far better than any cow ever gave them hope of doing and cows have been desperately trying to fortell the death of the 360 since launch to no avail. Why can't you just accept that they're not going anywhere anytime soon?
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
We'll see how sales of the 360 do when the console hits the very attractive $199 tag.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts
People can't play "sales" -- obviously. Which system has the best games(only second to PC)? The obvious answer is -- Xbox 360.
bluewrxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 bluewrxman
Member since 2004 • 1799 Posts

i really want to know where these people get their time machines from.....

i mean i have been searching and searching, but i cant find a cheap and reliably one...

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
Oh and as far as the topic goes...Microsoft doesn't have to WIN to stay in the race which is really all that matters in the long run. As long as they can find a way to be profitable who cares if they're ever the top seller. They've already done far better than any cow ever gave them hope of doing and cows have been desperately trying to fortell the death of the 360 since launch to no avail. Why can't you just accept that they're not going anywhere anytime soon?JTH_22
no one in this thread is saying that MS will go out of the gaming business. it's just impossible, they can just buy their place if they wanted. but we are saying that MS may never be a console wars winner if things keep like this. all companies aims at the top. but MS lacks something when it comes to appealing to markets outside USA, UK, NZ and Australia. The NA market is without a doubt the biggest market for games. but one company can never be #1 when relying solely in that market.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
There's absolutely no way the PS3 will beat the 360 this year.