Are Sony exclusives better, worse, or the same as they've ever been?

• 85 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45484 Posts

As I sat there on my friend's recliner watching E3, it occurred to me that Sony is taking a very mature direction with their games. Everything seems a bit serious these days. Are the times changing, SW? Are we better off now than we've ever been? I ask you since you guys are very analytical and know the history.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Their games are losing identity for sure, nearly everything seems to be a third person story driven game that all seem to have a serious tone about them, to me they're losing their 'fun' appeal, I don't know...

brn-dn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 brn-dn
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

They're better but I would like more games like the Ratchet & Clank PS4 game.

I really hope they make an Ape Escape 4 for PS4.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I would say better. Just look at their upcoming lineup

Horizon Zero Dawn

God of War

The Last Guardian

Persona 5

Days Gone

Spiderman

Detroit Become Human

Death Stranding

Nier Automata

GT Sport

Gravity Rush 2

Wild

And that's not even close to all of them. The amount of variety and quality in Sony's exclusive lineup is simply staggering.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dynamitecop

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Horizon Zero Dawn

God of War

The Last Guardian

Persona 5

Days Gone

Spiderman

Detroit Become Human

Death Stranding

Nier Automata

GT Sport

Gravity Rush 2

Wild

And that's not even close to all of them. The amount of variety and quality in Sony's exclusive lineup is simply staggering.

How many of these 12 games are third person?

AdmiralAdmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AdmiralAdmiral
Member since 2016 • 94 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn lookin good to me. I don't own a PS4 though and I don't know if I ever will.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

As I sat there on my friend's recliner watching E3, it occurred to me that Sony is taking a very mature direction with their games. Everything seems a bit serious these days. Are the times changing, SW? Are we better off now than we've ever been? I ask you since you guys are very analytical and know the history.

I actually agree with you. What a strange thing, huh?

I really am not crazy about this focus on emotional story driven games that more than ND are doing. I mean mostly Days Gone trailer which was melodramatic voice over shat. I enjoyed the gameplay at the end though!! I love a good zombie shooter. GoW was my biggest let down. The combat they showed sucked, his weapon sucked, the boy sucked, the focus on drama sucked. I was heart broken.

I'm all for ND doing what they do because they do it so great. It just seems like this is being attempted by so many others though. It makes stuff like Sea of Thieves look refreshing and no wonder there were massively long waits to play that at E3. I certainly hope Days Gone is good, I hope GoW surprises me.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Way better and recent scores from gaming websites have confirmed this.

Snabbkew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snabbkew
Member since 2016 • 17 Posts

They only really excel in 3rd person action games and fail in everything else, just look at how bad GT Sport looks

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

The only PS4 exclusives that interest me are Uncharted 4, and Ratchet and Clank. Horizon looks good, though that's not out yet. The rest either aren't my cup of tea, or they're not good. There was only like 2 or 3 PS3 exclusives that interested me also. I'll go with most PlayStation exclusives are meh. Like I said, they're all flash and no substance.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

They are not taking nearly as many risk or going out side the box this gen with the exclusive compared to last gen.

Last gen they took risk with games like MAG, WarHawk/StarHawk, LBP, Infamous, Heavy Rain, etc.

It seems like this gen thay are going with the normal expect stuff they know people will eat up.

Take Infamous and Heavy Rain for example. What is Infamous? a comic book style super hero electric dude no body ever heard of. That was last gen, this gen they got a comic book style super hero spider dude everyone has heard of. One was a risk, the other was a given.

Heavy Rain, nothing like that had been on consoles and it had big spot lights on it, and for it to reach massive success was a gamble. Most gamers back then hadnt ever played a David Cage game either. Detroit on the other hand is already riding on the success of Heavy and Beyond Two Souls, there is no risk because there is a fan base for it now and people know what they are looking at this time around.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

They are not taking nearly as many risk or going out side the box this gen with the exclusive compared to last gen.

Last gen they took risk with games like MAG, WarHawk/StarHawk, LBP, Infamous, etc.

It seems like this gen thay are going with the normal expect stuff they know people will eat up.

Horizon and Days Gone ain't risks? They are new IP and far bigger projects than those games you named.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

Last gen they took risk with games like MAG, WarHawk/StarHawk, LBP, Infamous, etc.

Horizon and Days Gone ain't risks? They are new IP and far bigger projects than those games you named.

just because they are new IPs doesnt make them risky.

Horizon has Dino-Mech Open World Action RPG. Just those worlds together gets all gamers attention.

Days Gone is a open world Zombie game.... they arent really taking any risk with that.

I dont think you know what taking a risk with a creative project in a business means... Simply put is "Is this concept gonna do well with gamers and make us some money?/Is this gonna be pretty difficult to develop and get it to run as a final product and still be a financial success?/Will gamers like this concept for a game?"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

They're still bad and forgettable for the most part so it's the same it's ever been. Their biggest game of all time launched last month and was forgotten 3 days later

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@kend0_kap0ni said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@kend0_kap0ni said:

just because they are new IPs doesnt make them risky.

Horizon has Dino-Mech Open World Action RPG. Just those worlds together gets all gamers attention.

Days Gone is a open world Zombie game.... they arent really taking any risk with that.

I dont think you know what taking a risk with a creative project in a business means... Simply put is "Is this concept gonna do well with gamers and make us some money?/Is this gonna be pretty difficult to develop and get it to run as a final product and still be a financial success?/Will gamers like this concept for a game?"

Making Tearaway a thing is taking risk lol. I just bought it on a whim to play with my nees and holly **** where did this game come from.

Cassar31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cassar31
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Horizon Zero Dawn

God of War

The Last Guardian

Persona 5

Days Gone

Spiderman

Detroit Become Human

Death Stranding

Nier Automata

GT Sport

Gravity Rush 2

Wild

Actualy, yeah, thats almost all of them. The only impressive thing about them is how sterile, bland and barren they all are. Repeating the same style of games, with the same structure and same conventions. From this list, 90% of them are 3rd person cinematic action games, the most bland, shallow and superficial type of games. You play these games, and it feels like you're playing the same one over and over again.

Its not just Sony though. AAA gaming is so monotous, everything is so god damn identical and unspectacular. Its just overall crap. From microsoft as well, from ubisoft and so on. There are barelly any games trying to be interesting or exciting anymore

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

The games are probably better these days, but they're not nearly as interesting as the stuff Sony used to do. They used to have much more diverse exclusives.

Unfortunately, most of them were made by third-party studios.

The sad truth is that Sony's first party, outside of a couple studios, has never really been that impressive. They ain't Nintendo.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI

@mems_1224 said:

They're still bad and forgettable for the most part so it's the same it's ever been. Their biggest game of all time launched last month and was forgotten 3 days later

Mems stay hating on all things Playstation.

Never seen a person have so much hatred for all these years. He finds absolutely everything complete shit if it has the Playstation label on it.

Mems deserve some type of award for his consistent and ammount of Hatred he has for Playstation.

Jesus Christ

I remember back in the day you could find him in every thread within the first three comments of that thread just posting shit about PS/SONY.

He still does it today though maybe not within the first three comments of a thread

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

To me, their games are becoming a bit too samey... They all are open-world type games. Even God of War now.

But that's just me.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dynamitecop

@hrt_rulz01 said:

To me, their games are becoming a bit too samey... They all are open-world type games. Even God of War now.

But that's just me.

It's not just you, everyone sees it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Better exclusives vs the ones they got on the PS2? **** no. The PS2 had genuine classics from third party. The PS4 has had Bloodborne and might get another one in Nier 2.

Limiting it to just their first party in general, push. It's more or less the same, they'll just be meh most of the time for different reasons. I don't think what they are doing is more "mature", as much as they bought into this concept that works for The Last of Us would work for all their games.

Cassar31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cassar31
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

Like i said, AAA in general, its like youre playing the same game over and over. The amount of mundane 3rd person cinematic games is staggering, in the dozens. They were like 40 or 50 games at E3. and you can barelly tell them apart. They all use the same damn tropes and conventions. Theres nothing more boring and stale than AAA modern gaming.

In the meantime, more original stuff didn't even get attention from "big" sites like ign or gamespot, you have to hope some youtube tard goes and asks three questions. There is barelly any footage for Obduction for example, the new adventure game from the creators of Myst, which was the best seeling PC game on the planet for a decade before Sims dethroned it. There's no footage for Space Hulk Deathwing. For Spellforce. The Guild. These aparently arent worthwile enough for the big sites to go and cover. They need fifty videos about the 30 open world 3rd person games that are all the same

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Hmm, they're sort of homogenizing a lot of their big exclusives. I mean, it's not a problem, you still get stuff like Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, and Horizon, which are trying new things, but on the other hand, there's Uncharted, God of War, and even Days Gone which all seem to be made from the same mold.

I'm not complaining, because every game I listed up there is a game I am excited for. But it is interesting to see just how much influence the success of The Last of Us has had on Sony's internal development.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Hmm, they're sort of homogenizing a lot of their big exclusives. I mean, it's not a problem, you still get stuff like Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, and Horizon, which are trying new things, but on the other hand, there's Uncharted, God of War, and even Days Gone which all seem to be made from the same mold.

I'm not complaining, because every game I listed up there is a game I am excited for. But it is interesting to see just how much influence the success of The Last of Us has had on Sony's internal development.

I'm in the same boat. I find the things that sony are doing with there series like God of War to be brilliant. I don't know I'm one of those people that don't really want another similar GOW game. so its very refreshing for me to see GOW like that. It gave me that Resident Evil 4 camera and change the series vibe. I get that there all seem to become like TLOU in terms of narrative but gameplay ascetic there are some unique things from the impressions i got. Like for example I had no idea that the camera will never cut. not even to a cut scene it will all just be there. It will just move. The world is interesting it will have rpg elements and retain some of the brutal stuff from the series. Its just an interesting take for me. I guess because i don't just look at sony's games. I can find plenty of different games elsewhere. It all adds up nicely for me, no complaints.

Days Gone is open world game and Horizon really stands out.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

The high-profile ones are overall less linear, so Id say there's a marked improvement.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

At one half we lost games like folklore, at the other half we lost a lot of shit and guerilla games rae actually making a game that is interesting.

I think we are better in the long run, we still have games like:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

and plenty of other interesting games. So I say we are better off now, though SONY PLEASE BRING BACK FOLKLORE!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

All I know is that new God of War game looks more interesting that any other God of War game I've played.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PS1 and PS2 had got tier exclusive lineups.

PS4 is doing good for this generation since it takes longer to make games and they last longer. But I owned so many games on ps1 and ps2 that were exclusive.

I skipped ps3 for awhile that console was trash I only bought one later on for that anime chibi studio JRPG game and it was meh.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

They are same. They just lack variety of PS2 era.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@cassar31 said:

Like i said, AAA in general, its like youre playing the same game over and over. The amount of mundane 3rd person cinematic games is staggering, in the dozens. They were like 40 or 50 games at E3. and you can barelly tell them apart. They all use the same damn tropes and conventions. Theres nothing more boring and stale than AAA modern gaming.

In the meantime, more original stuff didn't even get attention from "big" sites like ign or gamespot, you have to hope some youtube tard goes and asks three questions. There is barelly any footage for Obduction for example, the new adventure game from the creators of Myst, which was the best seeling PC game on the planet for a decade before Sims dethroned it. There's no footage for Space Hulk Deathwing. For Spellforce. The Guild. These aparently arent worthwile enough for the big sites to go and cover. They need fifty videos about the 30 open world 3rd person games that are all the same

I'm really looking forward to Obduction. As for AAA stuff, there are some companies that I still follow like SEGA (Relic, Creative Assembly), Bathesda (mostly as publishers), Blizzard etc but I've totally given up on Ubi, EA, Acti stuff.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

All they're lacking lately is an arcade racer, which they're not going to get any time soon if at all since closing down their racer studio. But the studio fucked up so it's on them.

Maybe a premier FPS? Killzone is taking a break and being handed over to Cambridge who made the fantastic KZ: Mercs so got high hopes for that.

Other than that, their diversity is still numero uno out of the big three. I'm also glad I love TP[insertletterhere] games as there seems to be plenty. Though now God of War has completely reimagining itself, they're not missing a classic hack and slash title, but that may be easily solved by the rumours of DMC5 being exclusive.

No other company would green light something like 'Dreams'.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

As games get more and more expensive to create.....less risk is taken. True of entertainment in general.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

I liked what they showed at E3 for the future. It made me think about picking up PS4 when its cheaper. I can wait a long time to be honest to pick their console up, because its mostly single player games.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

I don't know to much about PS4 games/console,but I find on the two big console company's there are far to many remaster/remakes and not enough new IP's.Sony and Microsoft are leaning far too far towards past glory's/classic games of yesterdays gen consoles.Both console company I think are heading in the wrong direction.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@loe12k said:

I liked what they showed at E3 for the future. It made me think about picking up PS4 when its cheaper. I can wait a long time to be honest to pick their console up, because its mostly single player games.

Single player is best player....

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Good god, more weeaboo crap, as if persona 5 wasn't enough.

@putaspongeon said:

At one half we lost games like folklore, at the other half we lost a lot of shit and guerilla games rae actually making a game that is interesting.

I think we are better in the long run, we still have games like:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

and plenty of other interesting games. So I say we are better off now, though SONY PLEASE BRING BACK FOLKLORE!!!!!

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loe12k

@LJS9502_basic said:
@loe12k said:

I like mature story driven games and Sony games are right up my alley. At this time i have too many games i don't have enough time to play them all on PC and xbox one.

Most of those games will be cheap on the Sony store when and if i do buy a PS4. So i jump right in then.

I buy the uncharted collection, last of us, uncharted 4, god of war, days gone and horizon hopefully all on the cheap.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@loe12k said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@loe12k said:

I like mature story driven games and Sony games are right up my alley. At this time i have too many games i don't have enough time to play them all on PC and xbox one.

Most of those games will be cheap on the Sony store when and if i do buy a PS4. So i jump right in then.

I buy the uncharted collection, last of us, uncharted 4, god of war, days gone and horizon hopefully all on the cheap.

I have the same problem. Too many games....not enough time.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 loe12k

@LJS9502_basic said:
@loe12k said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@loe12k said:

I have Origin EA access so i playing Mass Affect 2 and then i play 3, and Fifa 16 and Battlefield on there. On xbox just tried Rocket league recently and now playing the Halo 2 beta. There is not enough time still have not yet finished Falllout 4 and Assassin Creed Syndicate on PC. I am over half way finished with those games.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@mems_1224 said:

Mems stay hating on all things Playstation.

Never seen a person have so much hatred for all these years. He finds absolutely everything complete shit if it has the Playstation label on it.

Mems deserve some type of award for his consistent and ammount of Hatred he has for Playstation.

Jesus Christ

I remember back in the day you could find him in every thread within the first three comments of that thread just posting shit about PS/SONY.

He still does it today though maybe not within the first three comments of a thread

ooh and if you happened to agreed with the score and review than he will say " Sony Fans Can't think for them self and thanks for proofing my points" lol I see all those Xbox fanboys like NyaDC are rising up now.. Dude is in love with MS and try to claim his is un bias gamer LOL!

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

The same and to mems..

at least PS4 has exclusives.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@loe12k said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I have Origin EA access so i playing Mass Affect 2 and then i play 3, and Fifa 16 and Battlefield on there. On xbox just tried Rocket league recently and now playing the Halo 2 beta. There is not enough time still have not yet finished Falllout 4 and Assassin Creed Syndicate on PC. I am over half way finished with those games.

Good problem to have though....

TurianShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TurianShepard
Member since 2013 • 1197 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: gow is not open world...

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Dreams, Detroit, GT Sport, Horizon, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Spiderman, God of War, Hot Shot Golf, Days Gone, MLB The Show, Death Stranding, Crash remake, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Valkyria: Azure Revolution, Ni-Oh,, Yakuza, Dragon Quest 11, Ni No Kuni 2, From game(bloodborne 2?), Sucker Punch game, Naughty Dog's new game, tons of indie-budget games like Bound, Tomorrow Children, Wild, Matterfall and VR games.

I'd say better than they've ever been.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

They're good games for the most part.

Sony's first party studios are some of the most talented in the industry. Not to mention the extensive 3rd party support from Japanese devs.

Worlds better than Microsoft's atleast.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

I am loving what they are doing now, outside of Demon's Souls, they are doing better than they did last gen.

If I had a complaint it's that they are lacking in competitive and fun driving games. Forza Horizon 3 looks great and while GT Sport is coming the demonstrations haven't sold me on a day 1 purchase.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70393 Posts

My vote goes towards worse and this is not limited to Sony. Check out the other two companies. They are equally abysmal. But multi-platform games are bring up the rear anyways.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@thepclovingguy: Maybe you just have bad taste? Though maybe you're a fanboy.

Gravity Rush 2 is just a straight action game.

Ni-Oh is dark souls with a lot of new stuff pretty much.

Persona 5 and Disgaea 5 are just good games, but you're too biased to give them a chance clearly.

The Tomorrow Children I'm pretty sure is american or european.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

Sony exclusives are shit.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Nah, Gravity Rush 2, persona 5 and disgaea 5 are just a bunch of tasteless Japanese weeaboo games. Also, disliking weeaboo games doesn't make me a fanboy that wouldn't make much sense either.

Loading Video...

@putaspongeon said:

@thepclovingguy: Maybe you just have bad taste? Though maybe you're a fanboy.

Gravity Rush 2 is just a straight action game.

Ni-Oh is dark souls with a lot of new stuff pretty much.

Persona 5 and Disgaea 5 are just good games, but you're too biased to give them a chance clearly.

The Tomorrow Children I'm pretty sure is american or european.