Apple Products - Over rated Junk? A Reality Check (56K friendly...sorta)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

This is a clear and concise comparison of basic tech vs "Apples" tech.

1)Price

Iphone - A 3gs model of an Iphone costs £500 in UK for a 16gb. Looking at this at a logical term, what you can buy for that much:

360 Elite - £160

Ps3 - £250

AND a 2nd hand DS or PSP for £60.

But but its a Phone?

Last time i checked, this Phone could do almost everything the bottom phones can do.

2) What can Iphone do that any other phone cant?

NOTHING

Here are a list of Phones that can practically do everything the Iphone can do.

-Nokia E90

One of the best Nokia Phones ever created. A design like a mini laptop, hard rock design, and litterally does everything you want it to do. Does it have Office? yes! does it have GPS? yes, does it have TomTom, Sygic, and sat navs, YES! does it have qwerty? YES!, Are any functions gimped? NO. Full range bluetooth, trully astounding GPS signal, and 3g capable.

- Motorola Droid

Android powered Phone with 1ghz and a powerful GPU eating up all the games it is thrown. Full qwerty keyboard if you are not a fan of touch screen, and the first google based Satnav via google maps. The interface alone makes Iphone look dated.

Other mentionables:

£500 for Iphone, or £350 for something that destroys Iphone?

4G tech

8.1 HD camera

and so much more!

But But teh Apple Store has everything?

Much of how Apple Iphone started, it had very limited support. Its only within 2009-2010 we have seen true blockbuster titles such as GTA, NFS, Plants V Zombies and others. Let's have an in-depth look at what Nokia has to offer?

Nokia Ngage 2.0 – Cross Platform based for all N series Phones.

Metal Gear Solid:

A proper MGS title much to taht of the first MGS on PSX unlike Iphone MGS

Bounce Ngage 2.0

One:

Tekken ****fighting game

And so much more.

Collection:

Ngage 2.0 – 58 titles
Java based – 300+
Ngage 1.0 – 40 titles

Apps for Nokia:

There is an app for literally everything that Iphone has (the ones that actually are useful, not pointless junk like Ghost detector). Mail, camera apps, flight track, mp3 player, Last FM, and pretty much Iphone has. Listed amount on imserba and impart are over 3000 apps.

Android:

A very fast and growing market with severe cpu power and gpu power (droid, and nexus).

Gaming on Android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ7qbqSnLU0

Toonwars running at solid 60FPS. NOVA on Iphone can barely pull out 30FPS with not much going on.

IPAD – UK Price - £300, ranging to £600.

This "Iphone gone fat" is no replacement for a laptop. FACT.

For £300, this is what a laptop can get you:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-l450d-13x-04127252-pdt.html

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-2101.aspx

and for £600

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20039260/7725665/Samsung-X420-JA01-Core-2-Duo-SU7300-13GHz-3GB-320GB-Windows-7-Home-Premium-14-WXGA-Exte

Easily outpacing Ipad.

Secondly, we all seen RE4 on Ipad :lol:

Lets look at RE4 on a laptop:

....Oh wait.....

Heres Resident Evil 5 running on a £500 laptop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ihsyDBhoY

Making RE4 run just as easy.

Overall – All you are paying for is an "I" infront of your product. IS it worth those heavy price tags? No

This is just to show the reality taht I products are not worth its value. The real reason it sells is for the "I" infront of it.

Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts
Apple makes great products. They're easy to use and they're aesthetically pleasing. They're disliked by a very small portion of the population, the sort of crowd that frequents forums like this one. I know people here hate Apple and the iPad, but people thinking the iPad is going to be a failure are only kidding themselves. They sold nearly 1 million iPads at launch yesterday: http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/04/03/analyst-apple-sold-600-700-thousand-ipads-the-first-day/ The iPad is going to be a behemoth, like it or not.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="Jared2720"]Apple makes great products. They're easy to use and they're aesthetically pleasing. They're disliked by a very small portion of the population, the sort of crowd that frequents forums like this one. I know people here hate Apple and the iPad, but people thinking the iPad is going to be a failure are only kidding themselves. They sold nearly 1 million iPads at launch yesterday: http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/04/03/analyst-apple-sold-600-700-thousand-ipads-the-first-day/ The iPad is going to be a behemoth, like it or not.

Apple is a smart company. Doesn't mean I have to like their OS or they're overpriced products.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
The best thing about the iPhone is the App Store. No other phone has one that is even nearly as good.
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts

5 words. user friendly and sleek design. the public doesn't care how overpriced they are. The iphone is easy to navigate and understand, yet looks cool and somewhat futureristic with its multitouch screen.

Mestitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mestitia
Member since 2010 • 922 Posts

Apple is trash :] If they slashed their prices by about 50% I'd have a lot more respect for them.

jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jkhd831
Member since 2009 • 687 Posts

They aren't overrated, just overpriced.

WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 WINDWAKER1
Member since 2003 • 3397 Posts

Your poll made me actually have to read what you wrote, so I could make sure I was on the Apple Sucks side

Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts

Apple is trash :] If they slashed their prices by about 50% I'd have a lot more respect for them.

Mestitia
Can I ask you a simple question? Why on earth would they do that? Their products are selling! Besides, publicly-traded companies like Apple are required by law to do anything they can to maximize profits. Sometimes, I don't believe my eyes when I peruse these forums... I think it's safe to say that you'll never be appointed CEO of a large corporation.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
[QUOTE="Mestitia"]

Jared2720
Can I ask you a simple question? Why on earth would they do that? Their products are selling! Besides, publicly-traded companies like Apple are required by law to do anything they can to maximize profits. Sometimes, I don't believe my eyes when I peruse these forums... I think it's safe to say that you'll never be appointed CEO of a large corporation.

Cutting prices on Mac computers actually probably would maximize profits. That's the biggest hurdle to the sales of Macs. You're paying twice as much money for the same hardware. Very few people see any merit in doing that. If Macs and PCs were priced similarly, you can bet sales would be higher.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

It would be nice if their products were as functional as they are good to look at and didn't lock you into their stuff. People always complain about Microsoft but I think Apple is far worse. People are just blinded by pretty shiny things.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I would pay more for an Apple product than some other companies product because i know that i will be getting a high quality, easy to use and good looking MP3 player.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Meh. Apple products are well built, well designed and aesthetically pleasing but they are still incredibly overpriced.

I'm sorry Apple but I am not paying $1200 for a 13 inch Macbook Pro when I can buy a 14 inch Lenovo which lacks only the aluminum body and glass trackpad of the Macbook Pro and packs in a great deal more hardware under the hood for far less money.

And I did. And I am very happy with my purchase.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I would pay more for an Apple product than some other companies product because i know that i will be getting a high quality, easy to use and good looking MP3 player.

hoola

With a crappy battery.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

If the iPad sells bucketloads, I'll be convinced that Apple can get away with selling feces if they figured out a way to make them look shiny, sleek and trendy.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Well my Nokia n82 has a similar Cpu and Gpu with the iphone and similar characteristics including Gps while haveing a much better 5megapixel camera using carl zeus optics on the downside though it has a smaller screen and cost me half the money of iphone
Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

[QUOTE="Mestitia"]

Jared2720

Offtopic. Maynard owns. :D

Ontopic. There's no denying the quality and design of Apple products, but there's no justifying the price tags of their catalog either. Seriously, £500 for the iPad? I could buy a budget gaming laptop with that which could do ALOT more.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
Apple's products are great, they just overprice everything!
Mestitia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mestitia
Member since 2010 • 922 Posts
[QUOTE="Mestitia"]

Jared2720

What are you rambling on about? Are we suppose to browse internet forums acting like business men? I'm a consumer, and apple is waaaay overpriced, it's borderline scaming. I understand that the "rich" keep buying their stuff so they don't need to lower their prices but that doesn't change that they are waaaay overpriced to anyone with common sense. If I was rich I'd buy and iphone and wouldn't complain, but most of us aren't rich.
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

Apples is....

Overpriced

Lacks customization

And Apples tries to force you to only buy their overpriced software.

Also Apple makes some of the most insulting ads AKA: MAC vs PC.

To me apple died back in the 1990s.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Apples products are beaten out by almost everything out there for price and features. It's just a fad and "cool" to have a apple product these days.
Vyylent5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vyylent5
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

I think it goes without saying that Apple products are overrated, but Apple knows their audience; they know pretentious people are going to buy macbooks to sit in coffee shops and pretend to write novels.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Ugh, the Ngage's library is not superior to the iPhone's just because it has one decent Metal Gear Solid port. Ngage has been around much longer than the App Store - dating all the way back to 2003. It has not succeeded and there is no sign of strong developer support for OVI.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Civilization Revolution, Super Monkey Ball, Monkey Island, Call of Duty: WWZ, Geometry Wars, Red Alert, Mirror's Edge, Zenonia, Street Fighter 4, Final Fantasy, Dungeon Hunter, NOVA, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, etc. etc.

Anyway, the proper handheld comparison should be the iPod Touch ($199) to the DSi ($169-$189) and PSP ($169-$199).

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

Mestitia
overwhat i recently picked up a 80 gig i pod for 139.99 at the apple store it was a great price for all that storage capacity. Their new products are a bit more pricey but only because its new tech the price will go down with time. Did I mention their products are reliable.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
Apples products are beaten out by almost everything out there for price and features. It's just a fad and "cool" to have a apple product these days.Ringx55
what do you mean these days? its been that way for about 10 years now. fads don't last 10 years
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Personally im not dissing the iphone and ipod touch that much, im just alot more critical on macs and ipads

oh and btw. N-GAGE?!? that is probably the worst "phone" in history

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Apple products are..

1.Overpriced

2.Fragile

3.They lock you to their programs

and this can be said for all their products.

Apple proves how shallow the thinking of alot of people are, aesthetics over better/more features and price seem reasonable for them.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

If the iPad sells bucketloads, I'll be convinced that Apple can get away with selling feces if they figured out a way to make them look shiny, sleek and trendy.

GreySeal9

There was an episode of mythbusters where they managed to make feces shine. It was a time consuming process though which would probably reduce the interest of corporations like apple :?.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]If the iPad sells bucketloads, I'll be convinced that Apple can get away with selling feces if they figured out a way to make them look shiny, sleek and trendy.

_Tobli_

There was an episode of mythbusters where they managed to make feces shine. It was a time consuming process though which would probably reduce the interest of corporations like apple :?.

lol.

And BTW, how the hell did they manage to make feces shine?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
Apple makes great products. They're easy to use and they're aesthetically pleasing. They're disliked by a very small portion of the population, the sort of crowd that frequents forums like this one. I know people here hate Apple and the iPad, but people thinking the iPad is going to be a failure are only kidding themselves. They sold nearly 1 million iPads at launch yesterday: http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/04/03/analyst-apple-sold-600-700-thousand-ipads-the-first-day/ The iPad is going to be a behemoth, like it or not.Jared2720
really? i dunno. i really like my iphone, but i'm just not real sure on the ipad.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
It's almost a scam, that's how bad it is.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

their computers are.

what they do puts MS's tactics to shame.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Disturbed123

hoola

Really?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-discussions/1116630-iphone-3g-gps-stopped-working.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=687882

http://www.fixya.com/tags/iphone_touch_screen_not_working

The Iphone alone has more faults than the N series put together. These are not nitty gritty problems, i was an owner of Iphone for a while before moving to n900 and im glad.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

And BTW, how the hell did they manage to make feces shine?

GreySeal9

I don't remember the process all that well.

They rolled it into a ball, stored it in a cool place, polishd the heck out of it once it was fairly compact, etc.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Disturbed123

Personally im not dissing the iphone and ipod touch that much, im just alot more critical on macs and ipads

oh and btw. N-GAGE?!? that is probably the worst "phone" in history

DoomZaW

I agree N-gage was a flop (the phone). What im discussing is the Ngage app that allows you to play all the latest Ngage games on any latest nokia phone.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I am waiting for the future, seems it will only get better from here.

I posted this earlier, but I think it applies.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

I think it goes without saying that Apple products are overrated, but Apple knows their audience; they know pretentious people are going to buy macbooks to sit in coffee shops and pretend to write novels.

Vyylent5

Apple proves how shallow the thinking of alot of people are, aesthetics over better/more features and price seem reasonable for them.

Espada12
Here are two of the most telling comments of the thread. It's not about the products, it's about thinking you're better than someone else because you don't use them. And yet Mac users are supposedly the elitist ones.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clone01
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Apple products are..

1.Overpriced

2.Fragile

they're overpriced, but i don't think they are any more/less fragile than any other computer. as far as locking you to programs, what do you mean? aside from the FCP/logic bundles, i've yet to really feel handcuffed to any particular option. and, working on both platforms in my profession, i will say that from my experience, the mac os is quite a bit more stable than windows.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
The iPhone as a development platform has propelled it past all other smartphones by a *huge* margin. Its user base being so massive is also reason for it having such weight in development behind it. Which is why other smartphones pale in comparison really, *especially* as far as gaming is concerned. That and Apple products have some of the best industrial design and build quality about; the iPhone especially. - However I think the iPad is just ridiculous.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clone01
Here are two of the most telling comments of the thread. It's not about the products, it's about thinking you're better than someone else because you don't use them. And yet Mac users are supposedly the elitist ones.lowe0
what i find silly is that many of the posters here really don't have experience with the system to make a qualified judgement. honestly, at the end of the day, they're just computers, and really do operate fairly equally.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clone01
The iPhone as a development platform has propelled it past all other smartphones by a *huge* margin. Its user base being so massive is also reason for it having such weight in development behind it. Which is why other smartphones pale in comparison really, *especially* as far as gaming is concerned. That and Apple products have some of the best industrial design and build quality about; the iPhone especially. - However I think the iPad is just ridiculous. skrat_01
i am curious about the droid...my father in law has one and he loves it.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="hoola"]

Disturbed123

Really?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-discussions/1116630-iphone-3g-gps-stopped-working.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=687882

http://www.fixya.com/tags/iphone_touch_screen_not_working

The Iphone alone has more faults than the N series put together. These are not nitty gritty problems, i was an owner of Iphone for a while before moving to n900 and im glad.

nokia's break too http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-121.php http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/nokia-n900-micro-usb-connectors-prone-to-failure/ http://www.cellphone-reviews.co.uk/2010/03/nokia-n900-constant-reboot-restart.html it easy to find problems for any phone if you go looking. i was an owner of a nokia n900 for a while before i moved to an iphone and im glad
Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Disturbed123

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Apple products are..

1.Overpriced

2.Fragile

clone01

they're overpriced, but i don't think they are any more/less fragile than any other computer. as far as locking you to programs, what do you mean? aside from the FCP/logic bundles, i've yet to really feel handcuffed to any particular option. and, working on both platforms in my profession, i will say that from my experience, the mac os is quite a bit more stable than windows.

Looking at Iphone, its not a very versitile phone. You drop it, and game over. You put it in your pocket, and the back nano panel will scratch with ease. Its a very delicate phone. Now, taking something like HTC Hero, which has the same capacitive touch as Iphone is far more stronger build and feels alot more solid in your hand. Iphone 2g and 3g do tend to be a bit on the slow side once you start packing it with apps, and it becomes far more daunting when you are using the 32gb version of the phone and you have packed 20gb worth of data on it.

Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts

I'd take my nexus one over an iphone any day.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
what i find silly is that many of the posters here really don't have experience with the system to make a qualified judgement.clone01
Precisely. Its easy to criticize something when you have had no personal experience with it.
fzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fzdk
Member since 2010 • 44 Posts
As long as there are idiots in this world, Apple will be around.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lowe0
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]The iPhone as a development platform has propelled it past all other smartphones by a *huge* margin. Its user base being so massive is also reason for it having such weight in development behind it. Which is why other smartphones pale in comparison really, *especially* as far as gaming is concerned. That and Apple products have some of the best industrial design and build quality about; the iPhone especially. - However I think the iPad is just ridiculous. clone01
i am curious about the droid...my father in law has one and he loves it.

If you use a lot of Google services, Android is fantastic. I'd go for the Nexus One over the Droid, though - firmware updates directly from Google instead of having to pass through Motorola and Verizon.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
[QUOTE="Disturbed123"]

Looking at Iphone, its not a very versitile phone. You drop it, and game over. You put it in your pocket, and the back nano panel will scratch with ease. Its a very delicate phone. Now, taking something like HTC Hero, which has the same capacitive touch as Iphone is far more stronger build and feels alot more solid in your hand. Iphone 2g and 3g do tend to be a bit on the slow side once you start packing it with apps, and it becomes far more daunting when you are using the 32gb version of the phone and you have packed 20gb worth of data on it.

that's somewhat subjective. i've dropped my phone numerous times, and it works fine. no slowdown, and i've got tons of apps on it. i'm not a mac fanboy by any means, but i think their products get a lot of hate here on system wars. while some of that hate is deserved, i feel a lot of it isn't.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lowe0
As long as there are idiots in this world, Apple will be around.fzdk
Keep on making my point for me.