Apparantly Destructoid Thinks gaming cant be a sport.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts
Destructoid over the past 2 years has failed to post any real worthy articles on gaming, instead of talking about the many issues that plague competitive gaming, they choose to attack it and say that its not. They get an uninformed person to write the article, then use the picture of a gamer who died going to a tournament as their splash image for the article. http://www.destructoid.com/esports-really--208179.phtml
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

I see nothing wrong with that. No way I'd ever consider playing video games as a sport either.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

It's in the same area as poker where it's a competitive game but not anywhere near a sport.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AkimboBFGNinja

I see nothing wrong with that. No way I'd ever consider playing video games as sports either.

Renegade_Fury
You don't have to, no one is saying you have to play games as a sport, but the "journalist straight up dismisses the whole thing as silly, when in reality eSports is growing at an exponential level and says videogames are jsut games, and yet the games played in eSports have that competitive element built into them. Over 1 million people tuned into the League of Legends Stream fo Dreamhack ( a free to play game mind you) and that is for one game and one tournament only. Taht isnt counting MLG, the Starcraft League, World Cyber Games, Evo. Didnt even give it one shred of respect or showed they did any research on the subject, she simply stated "Oh well I play games for recreation so hur hur humph humph they are not sports". That is literally the article in a nutshell"
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Korea respectfully and disrespectfully disagrees.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AkimboBFGNinja

It's in the same area as poker where it's a competitive game but not anywhere near a sport.

svetzenlether
well whether its called a sport, competition whatever, it is still a thing that millions of people get into and watch, and for them to just dismiss is because they know nothing about it is unprofessional and shows their level dedication when it comes to writing articles about gaming. Their article would be like me dismissing golf as a sport because X game takes more skill, or the X games for BMX is not a sport and I ride my bike for recreation so therefore.... BMX is not a sport at all.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

E-sports are the future for a portion of gaming and anyone thinking otherwise obviously hasn't saw the splash Starcraft has made.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

I see nothing wrong with that. No way I'd ever consider playing video games as sports either.

AkimboBFGNinja

You don't have to, no one is saying you have to play games as a sport, but the "journalist straight up dismisses the whole thing as silly, when in reality eSports is growing at an exponential level and says videogames are jsut games, and yet the games played in eSports have that competitive element built into them. Over 1 million people tuned into the League of Legends Stream fo Dreamhack ( a free to play game mind you) and that is for one game and one tournament only. Taht isnt counting MLG, the Starcraft League, World Cyber Games, Evo. Didnt even give it one shred of respect or showed they did any research on the subject, she simply stated "Oh well I play games for recreation so hur hur humph humph they are not sports". That is literally the article in a nutshell"

He's just calling the notion of equating gaming to the same level of sports as ridiculous, and I full heartedly agree. Even at the end, he wrote competitive gaming will continue to grow, so I see no reason to be upset.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

its not a sport though :?

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Personally I just see sports as competitive games, so I have no issue with competitive video games being called sports.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts

I agree with them.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Gaming....sport :lol: Gaming is the EXACT opposite of a sport. As a former baseball player I find it insulting to even consider the noting of gaming as a sport.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fueled-system

Personally I just see sports as competitive games, so I have no issue with competitive video games being called sports.

Yangire

I disagree a bunch of people looking at a screen pressing a bunch of buttons is not in the same light as an actual talented person playing football or baseball...

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

If shooting and archery can be supports not too sure why gaming can't be one.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GD1551

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

fueled-system

I disagree a bunch of people looking at a screen pressing a bunch of buttons is not in the same light as an actual talented person playing football or baseball...

You act as though many people can replicate the same level of play as these professional gamers. They have a talent the same way the football player has.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

fueled-system

It doesn't matter how you play it. Pretty much every sport started out by people who just decided to play a game and **** around. Then people started to take it seriously and took it something more than a game and they call it a sport.

Same thing with videogames.

suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

Wow, gaming is not way or shape a sport. Like come on. Yes it can be competitive, but so is poker. To me a sport is an activity that is physical.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

And they're right.

Gaming can be competitive no doubt, but by definition a Sport involves physical activity.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GD1551

And they're right.

Gaming can be competitive no doubt, but by definition a Sport involves physical activity.

theuncharted34

Chess? :O

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

I love e-sports. But, e-sports and sports are two very different things and should stay that way.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

I see nothing wrong with that. No way I'd ever consider playing video games as a sport either.

AncientDozer

As it is now, as it stands, gaming is not a sport to be taken seriously. For me, it's more interesting to play than watch someone else do the most repetitive things. For me, montages and comic commentaries are more interesting than any competition.

I could say the same thing about physical sports like basketball or football much rather be playing then watching but not going to deny that millions of people do enjoy watching it. With so many people into watching competitive gaming i don't see how it couldn't be taking seriously and for the regard i'm not a huge fan of watching competetive gaming rather be actually playing.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fueled-system

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

GD1551

You act as though many people can replicate the same level of play as these professional gamers. They have a talent the same way the football player has.

Talent the same as football players?!?!

No they do not, while they may be good sitting on a computer screen and barley moving your body is not a sport

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

svetzenlether

Well a race car driver only uses his feet, hands and eyes to race cars and thats a sport? They use theyr'e feet which gamers don't unless its a racing game with pedals. My point is its all silly anything can be a sport practically.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I gotta disagree with them. I personally always considered competitive gaming to be a sport but whatever. :/

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner and loser can be defined by objective means."

Sounds like competitive gaming can be a sport. :/

Edit- Yes usually it requires heavy physical blah blah blah but I would still considered it to be a sport.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fueled-system

sport/spôrt/Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

----Theres the definition, and what physical activity is performed with gaming? Nothing. As far as nascar goes it isnt really a sport either but it requires alot of hard work and PHYSICAL TRAINING.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yangire

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]I disagree a bunch of people looking at a screen pressing a bunch of buttons is not in the same light as an actual talented person playing football or baseball...

fueled-system

No they do not, while they may be good sitting on a computer screen and barley moving your body is not a sport

The talent may not be "the same" but it does not mean the top players in competitive gaming have any less.

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

sport/spôrt/Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

----Theres the definition, and what physical activity is performed with gaming? Nothing. As far as nascar goes it isnt really a sport either but it requires alot of hard work and PHYSICAL TRAINING.

fueled-system
Moving fingers and performing 300 actions per minute?
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GD1551

fueled-system

Chess is considered a sport though.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]I disagree a bunch of people looking at a screen pressing a bunch of buttons is not in the same light as an actual talented person playing football or baseball...

fueled-system

I mean they have a talent, the same way a football player has his talent, I didn't mean they had the same talents..

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

fueled-system

I don't think anyone will try to argue competitive gaming is a very physical sport but to think it doesn't take an enormous amount of skill to play at a top level at say starcraft is foolhardy. As to weather football or starcraft is more talented its all relative swap a top starcraft player with a top football player and both will likely not fair very well at all both require skill and a different set of skills to excel a pro level.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="svetzenlether"]

xOMGITSJASONx

Well a race car driver only uses his feet, hands and eyes to race cars and thats a sport? They use theyr'e feet which gamers don't unless its a racing game with pedals. My point is its all silly anything can be a sport practically.

Drivers are facing g-forces while trying to out do 30 other guys in metal death traps for 200 laps. I think it's fairly obvious why racing deserves the nod over playing a video game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 millerlight89

GD1551

Yea it is.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

millerlight89

Yea it is.

lol wtf is that! I never even heard of it!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

I see no issue with calling gaming a "sport" within certain instances. I mean, if we look under the definition of sport, then gaming can and does assess both characteristics.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#38 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

svetzenlether

I can agree with that. It's clearly a competitive format, but I don't view it as a sport.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
evo2k11 b****es.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Apparently Destructoid can write correct articles from time to time! Video Games aren't a sport, they're toys :P

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Lol Destructoid :lol: ....... They gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4/10. Their opinion is invalid.

Even though I agree for the most part.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.lowe0

Thank you! That is the best thing I've read/heard all day.:lol:

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.lowe0

So....

What competitive games CAN you do that for?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 millerlight89

[QUOTE="lowe0"]In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.OneSanitarium

So....

Uh any of them?
OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.millerlight89

So....

Uh any of them?

Like.....

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]In my book, if you can do something at a competitive level while smoking at the same time, it's not a sport.millerlight89

So....

Uh any of them?

So pretty soon I can play a game, smoke a cig, eat a sandwich, and make love to my wife all at the same time and be a sports star in the process? sweet, bring on that kinect support.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Yangire

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

So....

Uh any of them?

Try playing any video game at a high level (or low level) against another high level player and regularly take your hands off the controls to smoke. See how long you last bro.

I guess you can TRY but you wouldn't have the chance to actually smoke it.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

Yangire

It doesn't matter how you play it. Pretty much every sport started out by people who just decided to play a game and **** around. Then people started to take it seriously and took it something more than a game and they call it a sport.

Same thing with videogames.

This, all sports are just games. The only difference is that some people make them a profession and train so much that they become really talented. The only true thing is that videogames as a whole will never become sports only a few ones because like they stated a real sport needs certain consistency in its rules and videogames as a whole can not achieve that, there are so many and each one has it's own little unique elements.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The fact that a sport is limited to being a physical activity sounds really really dumb to me.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

So....

Yangire

Uh any of them?

Try playing any video game at a high level (or low level) against another high level player and regularly take your hands off the controls to smoke. See how long you last bro.

I guess you can TRY but you wouldn't have the chance to actually smoke it.

Yea bro like totally. You don't have to take the cig out of your mouth. Do it all the time in clan matches, not too difficult. Multitasking, practice.