Anyone thinking of switching to pc?

• 185 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I have switched to pc gaming. I bought the Alienware x51 because it looks like a Xbox and it is awesome. Size is really convenient.

Reason was because its about slightly bigger than a console would be. The specs were also much better than what most people think the next Xbox would be. Ive wanted a new Xbox to come out and this pc was the last straw keeping me from buying a gaming pc. I didnt want a pc that was big and I didnt want a pc that was small and not able to upgrade the graphics card. So the x51 was small and can be upgraded to a gtx 670. Its like a next gen consoles worst nightmare with the same form factor and look.

Having had my x51 for a month or so it feels like getting a next gen console. Games even on their lowest settings outblow Xbox 360 games by a lot. Games I thought were amazing like Gears of War 3 looks like a big jaggy mess. Being able to play on actual 1080p is much better. I'd say the little extra money I paid for the Alienware x51 compared to building my own was worth it. Its a one of a kind unique pc. All other small form factor pc's are garbage in comparison. I dont want to upgrade for 2 years or so. So even better upgrades than gtx 670 will come out.

If you are thinking about switching to pc gaming what are your reasons for wanting to?

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

How much is alienware paying you? Alienware computers are overpriced, you pay for the name and logo.

Can't say yet if Im going to buy next-gen consoles since I have no idea how well nintendo handles 3rd party support, and what kind of consoles 720 and ps4 are.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slipknot0129

How much is alienware paying you? Alienware computers are overpriced, you pay for the name and logo.

Can't say yet if Im going to buy next-gen consoles since I have no idea how well nintendo handles 3rd party support, and what kind of consoles 720 and ps4 are.

Nohtnym

They sent me a $46 gift card. Heck yeah im buying the tactx mouse with my savings.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

If both PS4 and nextbox are weaklings like wii u, ill switch. Only a fool would pay hundreds for weak and outdated hardware. I want next gen, not next gen price with last gen hardware

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slipknot0129

If both PS4 and nextbox are weaklings like wii u, ill switch. Only a fool would pay hundreds for weak and outdated hardware. I want next gen, not next gen price with last gen hardware

El_Garbanzo

I also dont want to wait another 10 years before they come out with a console that is an actual generational leap.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts
For me, never. I like gaming on my sofa or la-z-boy, while looking at my 60" LED TV, and having my game's audio coming through my home theater.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

For me, never. I like gaming on my sofa or la-z-boy, while looking at my 60" LED TV, and having my game's audio coming through my home theater. StormyJoe

Which is all possible to do with a PC.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Never i prefer playing on consoles.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#9 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Already did. It's epic.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
*raises hand* Not liking the direction consoles are headed. And besides... the PC is getting a number of once console exclusive games now.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

in 3 months I will. its going to be beast imo. biggest problem for is that nvidia hasnt stated when the gtx 660 is going to be release. im hearing its either next week or in august. im really hoping the former is true

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

You can't go wrong with the PC as main system, but consoles are usually worth the exclusives

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I switched from PC to PS3! Okay, I didn't. Although I did acquire a PS3 so I can harvest all the good JRPGs for the generation (like I used to do with PS and PS2). I'm quite surprised that there is a very small number of good JRPGs. They are good, but the number is simply way too small for a whole generation.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 slipknot0129

You can't go wrong with the PC as main system, but consoles are usually worth the exclusives

ArchoNils2

I'd say Halo is worth just having an Xbox for. Because theres nothing else like it.

Ps3 on the otherhand there are plenty of pc games like their shooters.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

Why would I do that .... I play on the best system to play games already ...

Sony Playstation 3

I would never go to a system that is not popular in new jersey or the USA

plus when my friends come over who the heck turns on their computer to play with 2 people

no one cares about PC gaming if you want to play video games you buy a console

if you want to go surf the web you buy a PC

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
I made the switch 2 months ago, and boy was it a good choice. BTW Alienware is overpriced, you should've built it yourself.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Sony Playstation 3

plus when my friends come over who the heck turns on their computer to play with 2 people

ebrezzy1
You sound like ispeakfact, with a less classy avatar.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 parkurtommo

Sony Playstation 3

ebrezzy1
Most dillusional post I've ever seen.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I'm a giant PC fanboy most of the time and I encourage people to switch to PC (shocked at how many peeps in SW now are PC vs a few years ago) but this should be blogged rather than posted in SW. Also I would discourage people from buying alienware as its incredibly overpriced. Do some research and build your own or if you don't want to, do some research and buy a pre-built PC that you aren't paying through the ass for its name and look.
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Switched last month. Consoles are lightyears behind of PC gaming. I was especially wowed with mods on the PC, they bring PC gaming to a new dimension

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

I will most likely never switch to the PC, I don't see the need to.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 parkurtommo
Now if only everyone would join the dark side and then finally PC games would start getting better.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slipknot0129

Now if only everyone would join the dark side and then finally PC games would start getting better.parkurtommo
Man that would bankrupt developers due to the budgets according to SW.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
I stopped reading at alienware
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Word.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I thought about using my PC for multiplats. The decision is not yet finalised.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
There's been plenty of stuff on PC that's interested me lately, so I've been playing some of that. I'm still firmly a consolite, though.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

I have switched to pc gaming. I bought the Alienware x51 because it looks like a Xbox and it is awesome. Size is really convenient.

Reason was because its about slightly bigger than a console would be. The specs were also much better than what most people think the next Xbox would be. Ive wanted a new Xbox to come out and this pc was the last straw keeping me from buying a gaming pc. I didnt want a pc that was big and I didnt want a pc that was small and not able to upgrade the graphics card. So the x51 was small and can be upgraded to a gtx 670. Its like a next gen consoles worst nightmare with the same form factor and look.

Having had my x51 for a month or so it feels like getting a next gen console. Games even on their lowest settings outblow Xbox 360 games by a lot. Games I thought were amazing like Gears of War 3 looks like a big jaggy mess. Being able to play on actual 1080p is much better. I'd say the little extra money I paid for the Alienware x51 compared to building my own was worth it. Its a one of a kind unique pc. All other small form factor pc's are garbage in comparison. I dont want to upgrade for 2 years or so. So even better upgrades than gtx 670 will come out.

If you are thinking about switching to pc gaming what are your reasons for wanting to?

Glad you are liking PC gaming. Alienware is definately catering to the console gamers who are frustrated with the overly long console cycle, and I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. However, the X51 is a a gateway drug... since you are already off and roliin' on the PC gaming scene, consider getting a desktop rig sometime down the line. You can upgrade it over time if money is an issue, and you will have an even better experience than you are having with the alienware.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 donalbane
[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

Sony Playstation 3

How often do you play local co-op games with another person though? If you answered, "All the time", I assert that you are in highschool. The 'popular' remark smacks of a highschool mentality as well.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I am already a PC gamer. I plan on building a new PC sometime between now and when the PS4 releases. If they don't try to fight used games, then I will get a PS4 as well. If they fight used games, I will only game on PC next gen.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#33 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Not anytime soo, but some day I might.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

Sony Playstation 3

donalbane

How often do you play local co-op games with another person though? If you answered, "All the time", I assert that you are in highschool. The 'popular' remark smacks of a highschool mentality as well.

just buy a console then ...

your post wouldn't reak of jelly

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 donalbane
[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

Sony Playstation 3

just buy a console then ...

your post wouldn't reak of jelly

Look, junior, I own a PS3 and have since it launched. Before I had a good gaming PC, I used the PS3 quite a bit. Now that a good rig, I haven't played a single PS3 game. You would be the same way, but you'll never know what you're missing because you are in the Sony Defense Force. There's nothing wrong with console gaming, but claiming it's somehow superior to PC gaming is absurd.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts
I built a rig last fall. I'm still a bit torn. PC lacks games that really interests me. The only exclusive I've got so far is TW2 (well not exclusive anymore) and it was somewhat a disapointment (amazing story, characters etc, but mediocre clumpsy combat, tedious inventory management and to limited world). I obv buy all multiplats on PC and the better graphics are def nice. But overall it hasn't been a revolution for me.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 donalbane
I built a rig last fall. I'm still a bit torn. PC lacks games that really interests me. The only exclusive I've got so far is TW2 (well not exclusive anymore) and it was somewhat a disapointment (amazing story, characters etc, but mediocre clumpsy combat, tedious inventory management and to limited world). I obv buy all multiplats on PC and the better graphics are def nice. But overall it hasn't been a revolution for me. Sushiglutton
What kind of graphics card do you have?
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I built a rig last fall. I'm still a bit torn. PC lacks games that really interests me. The only exclusive I've got so far is TW2 (well not exclusive anymore) and it was somewhat a disapointment (amazing story, characters etc, but mediocre clumpsy combat, tedious inventory management and to limited world). I obv buy all multiplats on PC and the better graphics are def nice. But overall it hasn't been a revolution for me. donalbane

GTX 580
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]I built a rig last fall. I'm still a bit torn. PC lacks games that really interests me. The only exclusive I've got so far is TW2 (well not exclusive anymore) and it was somewhat a disapointment (amazing story, characters etc, but mediocre clumpsy combat, tedious inventory management and to limited world). I obv buy all multiplats on PC and the better graphics are def nice. But overall it hasn't been a revolution for me. Sushiglutton

GTX 580

Same here. Well, I guess some people just naturally gravitate towards the console experience. For what it's worth, I play many PC games with my Xbox 360 controller. I've just become accustomed to it, I guess.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I honestly don't get the whole rig thing though. They're all just boxes of hardware.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

i made the switch but i'm still pro ps3

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="donalbane"] What kind of graphics card do you have?donalbane
GTX 580

Same here. Well, I guess some people just naturally gravitate towards the console experience. For what it's worth, I play many PC games with my Xbox 360 controller. I've just become accustomed to it, I guess.

Yeah I have pretty shallow taste :). Don't like to think too much. I like games like Vanquish or Mirrors Edge (that I just played). Stylished action games and they don't seem to be that common on PC. I also play a lot with the gamepad and that works much more conveniently than I thought. The X360 native support almost every game have is neat.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

ebrezzy1

Why the hell are you playing video games when friends are over, anyway? The last thing I want to do when I have company is fire a game up. So many better things to do when friends are over.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]For me, never. I like gaming on my sofa or la-z-boy, while looking at my 60" LED TV, and having my game's audio coming through my home theater. Phoenix534

Not only this, but the PC takes advantage of the latter two much more than consoles currently do.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Sony Playstation 3

ebrezzy1

Anyone else expects a post to be filled with complete stupidity whenever they see a nathan drake avatar?

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I built a rig last fall. I'm still a bit torn. PC lacks games that really interests me. The only exclusive I've got so far is TW2 (well not exclusive anymore) and it was somewhat a disapointment (amazing story, characters etc, but mediocre clumpsy combat, tedious inventory management and to limited world). I obv buy all multiplats on PC and the better graphics are def nice. But overall it hasn't been a revolution for me. Sushiglutton
Just buy more exclusives. It's by far the best for online shooters, and many you can get for free such as TF2, Quake Live, or Tribes: Ascend. But yeah if you're looking for stuff along the lines of Uncharted and such, you won't find many on pc.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

Sony Playstation 3

GD1551

Anyone else expects a post to be filled with complete stupidity whenever they see a nathan drake avatar?

Lol I've noticed this too lately, I may change my avi to drake just to bring some dignity back to the uncharted name
streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]For me, never. I like gaming on my sofa or la-z-boy, while looking at my 60" LED TV, and having my game's audio coming through my home theater. Phoenix534

Yep, I liked how he through that out like everyone was going to be impressed too! LOL
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Don't need to switch... already have a PC. I wouldn't move entirely to it, though. I play BF3 now and then and it's horrible on PC. Sometimes you just need a console to get the best experience a particular game can offer.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#50 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Once I see what the next PS4 and 720 look like. I might make the jump and cash in 80 PTO on a gamer PC. Never had one. Don't even know where to begin to get a good one for less. Nor do I know how to build them.