Anyone else think all these cross-generational games are going to hurt next-gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

omgburgerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 omgburgerking
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts

It seems a lot of games like Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed 4, Destiny, etc are coming out for the current gen consoles as well as the next gen consoles. Does anybody think this will hurt next gen console sales this winter? If someone who doesn't care to have the latest and greatest sees this awesome new game is available for a their already owned console or a new 400$+ console they're probably going to get it for their old console. Not to mention parents who won't understand the difference when buying their children gifts. I don't think the better graphics will be enough of a push either since lets be honest the difference in graphics is nothing like the difference between PS2-PS3/Xbox-Xbox 360. Eventually we'll see current gen consoles not getting supported anymore and then we will see people migrating to the next gen but I think this winter's sales won't be breaking any records for console launches to say the least. 

Any comments, rebuttals?

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Well, this has been a really long gen that very much overstayed its welcome, so I expect there won't be many problems, think gamers will gladly embrace the PS4 and 720...

omgburgerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omgburgerking
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts

Well, this has been a really long gen that very much overstayed its welcome, so I expect there won't be many problems, think gamers will gladly embrace the PS4 and 720...

Rocker6

I highlighted the keyword in your post. I'm not talking about hardcore gamers who will be excited about a new console and will line up for one. I'm talking about the casual gamers and parent's who are a pretty significant portion of game sales. 

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#4 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I seem to remember this happening with older generations too.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
In my opinion it makes the transition less jarring, almost as if there is no real start/stop between generations. It feels more like a continuation rather than the next leap if that makes sense.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

for the first year or, its good. most people wait for a price drop anyway so these cross gen will ease their transition. ps2 games are still being released today but no one is really talking about it. its going to be fine

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="omgburgerking"]

It seems a lot of games like Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed 4, Destiny, etc are coming out for the current gen consoles as well as the next gen consoles. Does anybody think this will hurt next gen console sales this winter? If someone who doesn't care to have the latest and greatest sees this awesome new game is available for a their already owned console or a new 400$+ console they're probably going to get it for their old console. Not to mention parents who won't understand the difference when buying their children gifts. I don't think the better graphics will be enough of a push either since lets be honest the difference in graphics is nothing like the difference between PS2-PS3/Xbox-Xbox 360. Eventually we'll see current gen consoles not getting supported anymore and then we will see people migrating to the next gen but I think this winter's sales won't be breaking any records for console launches to say the least. 

Any comments, rebuttals?

samething happened at the beggining of this generation.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

all that happens is you get a few  crappy uprezzed ports with little care put into them anyway like for example the game Gun last gen.

that phase goes away soon enough that it is really not much of a  problem.

Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

It depends on how much better the next gen versions are. If diminishing returns are a much larger factor than previous generations it could be an issue. It's hard to tell and the best indication we have of how much better they might look on next gen consoles is by looking at current multiplats on PC as well as the preview videos for these upcomming games. The difference between Crysis 3 on PC and consoles is significant and previews for games like Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs look well beyond visuals available on current gen.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
They won't hurt at all. No console has ever launched with a library that justifies the price tag yet that has never stopped early adopters from rushing out and throwing money at these companies. No amount of cross generational games will harm holiday sales for next gen systems.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Cross-generational games always happens when they switch between generations.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Generational transitions are always rough. The software companies dont want to suddenly give up on 70 million customers. It may take a year after launch of the new systems to truely gear up for the next gen cycle.

Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

Cross-generational games always happens when they switch between generations.

Nintendo_Ownes7
This. I don't understand why so many people are acting like this is new.
GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
No. It's a way for early adopters to have games and those that stick with older consoles awhile longer to have the games.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

well, I'm not expecting next-gen consoles to sell that good at launch anyway, specially with 2 next-gen consoles launching at the same time.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

Any comments, rebuttals?

omgburgerking

I think it's a good thing. Games such as GTAV for example can't be exclusive for the next gen because the developers won't make money. The PS3 and 360 have a combined installed base of over 150 million. That is impossible for devs to ignore. 

When they support next gen consoles by also releasing it on the PS4 and 720, it only helps the next gen machines. Because it will be another great game on the new console. Remember, it's really impossible for a launch game to be great. There's not enough time to meet the launch window and they just have to get some stuff out there to showcase the new consoles. 

It's great to have big budget great games to go along those launch games. If you're a hardcore gamer, why would you jump to the next gen to play launch titles when you can be playing awesome stuff like GTAV on the PS3 and 360? Now if a superior version of GTAV with suped up graphics was available for the PS4, then it would be much more interesting. 

The casuals don't buy at launch anyway so they don't factor in this very much. 

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
errr... we've been through this 7 years ago.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

third party games is whats going be doing this. WHY? because they  gain NO benefit for them only releasing on a gen that will only have few million in first year. That's reality.  

let the console makers sell their own system by releaseing games ONLY on their stuff