Anybody use SSD for PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jetray (1189 posts) -

I was thinking about replacing the stock hdd for something bigger and was considering an SSD. I was checking out the Samsung evo 1TB ssd but it's pricey.

Have any PS4 owners upgraded the hard drive? Have any of you put in an ssd or has anybody specifically tried the Samsung evo ssd

#2 Edited by darkspineslayer (19349 posts) -

Wouldn't personally go that route, because of the price, just like you said.

I am looking into a 1.5TB HDD, those aren't too bad.

#3 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28309 posts) -
#4 Posted by lostrib (31476 posts) -

a 1tb Samsung EVO is going to cost almost as much as the console

#5 Posted by Doolz2024 (9591 posts) -

PS4's can't even take full advantage of the benefits of an SSD, can they?

I don't know... I'd personally save a lot of money and just buy a standard 5400rpm or 7200rpm 1TB HDD for it.

#6 Posted by kitty (114292 posts) -

I wouldn't bother honestly, I'd just use a 7200rpm one.

#7 Edited by Couth_ (9916 posts) -

Not sure if it's worth it. Not sure if the PS4 is designed to take advantage of it and I'm not sure I would even trust an SSD to last the entire gen in something like the PS4 with the amount of installing/deleting and caching the system is going to do. SSD memory is still known to degrade with use which is why most PC users opt to only put their OS and maybe a couple of their main programs on it

#8 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28309 posts) -

Also of note you can get a hybrid drive it will give you some of the same benefits *to a lesser degree* but you can get them for just a little more than a purely mechanical drive.

#9 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2870 posts) -

@jetray: I have actually got the Samsung evo 1tb. but in all honesty, I don't see much difference. I think you might as well buy that sea-gate hybrid instead. Maybe a few years into this generation the difference will start to get noticeable.

#10 Posted by Dilrod (4233 posts) -

@2ndwonder: I'd be a little worried the 7200 rpm would put out too much heat in that little of a space. I put a 5400rpm in my ps3 and have been looking at drives for my ps4.

#11 Edited by Suppaman100 (3573 posts) -

Also of note you can get a hybrid drive it will give you some of the same benefits *to a lesser degree* but you can get them for just a little more than a purely mechanical drive.

This is the best solution.

Get a hybrid OP.

#12 Posted by osirisx3 (1691 posts) -

ssd suck they are so damn expensive even with the faster load times you are paying so much per gig you either have to spends 100s or get a tiny capacity

#13 Posted by clyde46 (43474 posts) -

The PS4 does not have the tech to take advantage of an SSD. You are much better off buying a a 1TB laptop drive and using the rest of the money to buy a few games.

#14 Posted by silversix_ (13546 posts) -

i don't have an ssd inside my pc and i'll run one with my ps4... lolno. They're waaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive still. The day i'll be able to grab a quality 120gb+ ssd for $60 is the day i'll bother owning one.

#15 Posted by clyde46 (43474 posts) -

i don't have an ssd inside my pc and i'll run one with my ps4... lolno. They're waaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive still. The day i'll be able to grab a quality 120gb+ ssd for $60 is the day i'll bother owning one.

For a PC, a SSD is well worth the cash.

#16 Posted by silversix_ (13546 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

im not a millionaire!

#17 Posted by clyde46 (43474 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

im not a millionaire!

I got my SSD for less than £80! Stop being cheap.

#18 Edited by blackace (19699 posts) -

@jetray said:

I was thinking about replacing the stock hdd for something bigger and was considering an SSD. I was checking out the Samsung evo 1TB ssd but it's pricey.

Have any PS4 owners upgraded the hard drive? Have any of you put in an ssd or has anybody specifically tried the Samsung evo ssd

No, I didn't go that route because I wanted no less then a 1.5TB HDD in my PS4. It would have cost more for the HDD then I paid for my PS4. I ended up getting this drive. Amazon has a nice price for it now. I paid $124.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDIU5IW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the exact same drive that was in my PS4, only it was 500GB of course. I'll probably just sell the 500GB drive.

@Dilrod said:

@2ndwonder: I'd be a little worried the 7200 rpm would put out too much heat in that little of a space. I put a 5400rpm in my ps3 and have been looking at drives for my ps4.

That was the only reason I got a 5400rpm instead of the 7200rpm. I didn't want my PS4 using additional power and overheating with long play sessions. I figured there was no need of taking the chance.

#19 Posted by clyde46 (43474 posts) -
#20 Edited by heretrix (37244 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

Absolutely. I've replaced all of my boot drives on my various PCs and laptops for SSDs. An SSD is one of the most noticeable performance upgrades you can do. And they are pretty reasonably priced. You can always get a good deal on them if you look.

#21 Posted by silversix_ (13546 posts) -

@heretrix said:

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

Absolutely. I've replaced all of my boot drives on my various PCs and laptops for SSDs. An SSD is one of the most noticeable performance upgrades you can do. And they are pretty reasonably priced. You can always get a good deal on them if you look.

okay but what's the point when i never completely shutdown my pc (its on sleep)?

#22 Edited by lamprey263 (22419 posts) -
#23 Posted by heretrix (37244 posts) -

@heretrix said:

@clyde46 said:

@silversix_ said:

okay but what's the point when i never completely shutdown my pc (its on sleep)?

Eventually, you will have to shut it down. Also whatever is installed on the boot drive loads faster.

#25 Posted by asylumni (2064 posts) -

Last I heard, the PS4 didn't have drivers for hybrid drives which meant the SSD portion wouldn't be used at all and it would see is just the traditional disk portion of the drive. Has this changed?

#26 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

If that was the case, you should've bought one months ago. I regularly see good SSDs (120gb) for $60 dollars.

#27 Posted by ButDuuude (387 posts) -

I got a Seagate ST1000LM014 1 TB hybrid hard drive and I don't regret it.

#28 Posted by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

@lostrib said:

a 1tb Samsung EVO is going to cost almost as much as the console

Can't believe some people would rather do this than spend that money on a Wii-U or X1 and have access to more games.

#29 Posted by kitty (114292 posts) -

@Dilrod said:

That could be a problem. I guess 5400rpm would be better in this case. I have a 500gb 5400rpm hdd I might put in my slim. Plus literally ate all of my space on my 120gb slim.