Anybody That Doesn't Dig The Souls Games?

• 159 results
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

unplayable for me.

as a business owner that needs to deal with customers at any time of the day or night it seemed every time i put in time playing it i got a call and had to start over because they didn't put a pause button in it.

i can't imagine putting someone on hold so i can find a safe place to stand.

it just goes to show how fucked up j-dev is.

why do i have to be their bitch?

what was the point in not having a pause button?

i really liked the combat engine too, what a shame it was connected to a game made by a dev with no idea what the word playability means.

it's the perfect example of how badly j-dev has lost its way.

lol

that's all i have to say to this post

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

My friends don't like the soul series well all they play are sports games and call of duty.

If you're into video games, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy the soul series.

I mean if you don't like the soul series what do you like? Grand Theft Auto V? Yuck

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

WHAT THE HELL MAN ! YOU'RE TOTALLY STEALING MY THUNDER ! :(

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Demon's Souls is the best Souls.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

The only people that dislike Souls games either a) haven't played them or b) are terrible at them.

Dark Souls II did suck though.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

Hit boxes on FLEEK. If you don't like souls you need to git gud noobs

Jk.. don't really care if others like or dislike souls. It's my favorite series though

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Couth_

@Riverwolf007 said:

what was the point in not having a pause button?.

The point is because the game is always online and it's designed to always be online. Really it's not to make it harder or make it so that you can't go to the bathroom or take a call. It's just because it's always online

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

@Blabadon said:

They're literally about getting good and learning from mistakes. But they are flawed. DS 1 has a great world, but is technically very flawed and goes down after the Lord Vessel. DS 2 is one of the best looking games from last gen, and it in turn forgoes any sense of discovery.

Will start Demons next year.

Demons is my favorite.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I don't have the patience for the franchise. I'm sure I suck at it because of that, but I'd honestly rather not spend the time formulating a strategy and being careful, especially after progressing through a level for an hour and then dying.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

I'm not a fan after trying Demon Souls. I'm hoping BloodBourne is more forgiving.

Dark Souls is a more forgiving game than Demon Souls if I recall.

Ehh no

Err yes. Play it and you will know it.

Err I scored 200h in it. Still no. I had an infinite amount of herbs in Demon Souls meanwhile only 5 flasks in Dark Souls.Dark Souls was requiring a perfect run through the level to reach the boss with 5 intact flasks. That shit was challenging.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56172 Posts

People who says Dark Souls is hard have never played Battletoads in there damn life and Battletoads ain't got nothing on Souls games.

(freedomfreak, your my Hero)

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

The point is because the game is always online and it's designed to always be online. Really it's not to make it harder or make it so that you can't go to the bathroom or take a call. It's just because it's always online

lulz. yeah, that hot multiplayer action required constant unpausable attention.

i may need to go into a typeface menu and drop a note about the hole up ahead at any second.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#65 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Err I scored 200h in it. Still no. I had an infinite amount of herbs in Demon Souls meanwhile only 5 flasks in Dark Souls.Dark Souls was requiring a perfect run through the level to reach the boss with 5 intact flasks. That shit was challenging.

Yeah, but aren't Bonfires more abundant than those Stones?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

"Soul games are so core. Nooblars can't be playing them" #neverplayedgamesinthe80s

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Lulu_Lulu

@yokofox33

Not true.... A normal game requires you to be careful.... Dark Souls requires you to be paranoid... You gotta be suspicious of something as rudimentary as a freaking chest or a damn narrow archway... Not because they appear frequently and predictably (other wise theres nothing to be crazy paranois about), infact its quite the opposite, due to the punishing nature of the game even a single trap that eliminates all the progress you made will have you turning every corner with your shield raised.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

See many agree demon is best.

It isn't.

It was the foundation that the masterpiece of architecture Dark Souls was built upon.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#70 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Not a fan either, It has nothing to do with difficulty I just find the combat boring and slow. That's why I prefer dragon's dogma

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#71 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Can't say I'm a fan of them. I tried Demon's Souls wanting to like it but just couldn't get it. I practiced and took my time, was patient after being frustrated, and... just couldn't do it. I don't have the time to devote to figuring it out.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Couth_

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Couth_ said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

lulz. yeah, that hot multiplayer action required constant unpausable attention.

i may need to go into a typeface menu and drop a note about the hole up ahead at any second.

Don't be a jack ass. You asked and I answered. The game is online at all times and you can be invaded at all times. That's the reason. It can maybe be handled better, but if you need a true pause you can just log out. It takes only an extra 2 seconds to do that

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I think the Souls games are okay, but they aren't my favorite. Admittedly I don't have the most patience in them so it does make fighting difficult at times. Still though... I'm patient when it comes to redoing things so its no biggie. Weirdly enough I play harder games like Monster Hunter to greater success and it is fairly similar in difficulty and the amount of patience needed.

Dark Souls 2 is not good for my patience though which is why I have yet to beat it. The lessening of health each time you die really sucks. I tend to not use items much in any rpg so that really bugged me. Yeah... I could git gud or whatever but its that limitation that really stuck out even with that special ring. The original Dark Souls was more my cup of tea.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I like demon souls. Dark souls not so much.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@NoirLamia777 said:

@Blabadon said:

They're literally about getting good and learning from mistakes. But they are flawed. DS 1 has a great world, but is technically very flawed and goes down after the Lord Vessel. DS 2 is one of the best looking games from last gen, and it in turn forgoes any sense of discovery.

Will start Demons next year.

Demons is my favorite.

@freedomfreak@TheGuardian03 Yeah Demon's looks extremely appealing in its own rights. Each level, being split up in any number of parts and not being tied to other Archstones, seems to be more carefully themed and focused upon than Dark Souls 1 at least. 2 definitely brought back that feeling of individual level refinement, but in that game, each section was like 30 minutes each and it felt like a theme ride.

I've already seen online how carefully Tower of Latria was made, or how careful one must be in the Swamp. It just looks like great stuff.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#77  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Have played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and didn't care for either of them. When it wasn't frustrating, it was just boring. Not to mention the no pause button thing is really annoying.

Oh, and also the blood stains people leave messages at were just plain useless. Most of the messages were either useless bullshit or trolls trying to trick me into falling off a cliff or something of that sort.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#78 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

There's lots of retreading the same ground and trial and error in Demons Souls. Everyone I've met whose played it says that the game doesn't start until after the first playthrough but I just thought that was silly. It's a game that feels like you have to play it while looking at a walkthrough, which that hint system is kind of like.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's not that I dislike the Souls series. I prefer the bang bang of gunfire to the clank clank of swords and shields. No fantasy/RPG that has a medieval theme for me.

Maybe I'm just burned out on the medieval theme. I'll try the genre again when I'm not.

On an unrelated note, this ^. We need more futuristic games.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50576 Posts

Souls games have been the best games period since Demon's. Not a single game has got as many hours from me.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Tried all 3 Souls games, and to be honest my boredom with doing the same thing over and over again usually outweighs any interest I have in going any further in the game. I usually invest about 6+ hours. Then quit out of boredom. I've tried to go back and play through all 3 games, but I just can't make myself do it. Apparently it's just because I am not hardcore enough to get through the games. Or so I've been told by numerous fans of the series.

I'm running around and attacking enemies and looting souls from them while occasionally getting items and fighting bosses. 0/10, what a piece of shit, absolutely no gameplay variety. The least they could have done was add a mounted turret segment with explosions

Yeah man it needs more guns...The game would be great if it had more guns and explosions. Why does every Soul's fan seem to think that if someone doesn't love their beloved game they must be shooter fans and / or casuals? Maybe people just don't like the games? Maybe they just find them.....oh my goodness....boring? Poorly designed? etc?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#83 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Tried all 3 Souls games, and to be honest my boredom with doing the same thing over and over again usually outweighs any interest I have in going any further in the game. I usually invest about 6+ hours. Then quit out of boredom. I've tried to go back and play through all 3 games, but I just can't make myself do it. Apparently it's just because I am not hardcore enough to get through the games. Or so I've been told by numerous fans of the series.

I'm running around and attacking enemies and looting souls from them while occasionally getting items and fighting bosses. 0/10, what a piece of shit, absolutely no gameplay variety. The least they could have done was add a mounted turret segment with explosions

Yeah man it needs more guns...The game would be great if it had more guns and explosions. Why does every Soul's fan seem to think that if someone doesn't love their beloved game they must be shooter fans and / or casuals? Maybe people just don't like the games? Maybe they just find them.....oh my goodness....boring? Poorly designed? etc?

You can boil any game down to "doing the same thing over and over again," but the difference between good and bad games are pacing and level design. Dark Soul's mechanics never change immensely from the tutorial, but that doesn't mean the rest of the game lacks variety. Placement of enemies and the structure of levels are a huge part in what makes the Souls games so good. The games are so confident in their core mechanics that they keep them constant throughout the entirety of the game and focus on offering variety through what you kill and where you go. I never noticed poor, i.e. repetitive design in a Souls game for these reasons.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lulu_Lulu

@da_illest101

Dragon's Dogma is no prized pig either..... Infact, DD could learn so much from Dark Souls design.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

TC and the others bashing Soul games are a bunch of newbies =P

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#86 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

The no pause button thing is mind numbing, and I fail to see how putting a pause button in would have been a bad thing.

I like hard games, but they need to be fun, dark souls is too slow paced and requires way too much aimless wandering and backtracking when you die. Thing is the backtracking gets horrifically boring, after 1 or 2 deaths you will have the area memorized and it just becomes a chore getting back to where you were.

When I'm in the mood for a challenge I prefer games like super meat boy, fun, fast paced, and challenging for all the right reasons.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lulu_Lulu

@pook99

or a fighting game....

The only genre where Balance and Fairness is still very very very very Important.

I have so many platformers that I just can't justify getting Super Meat Boy.... Besides, it would probably just make me hungry when I play it.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I never really caught my attention in the first place so I've not even played it. Should probably give it a go but got so much to play right now!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#89 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Souls is love

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34647 Posts

Not sure. I like the idea, graphics and controls, but for me the games are hard in a quite frustrating way in how you permanently loose stuff and have to repeat hard tasks several times. I dont have the interest to put in the amount of time in the series that it feels I need to in order to have fun.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Litchie

Depends.... If you don't die at all you won't have worry about any of that stuff.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Lulu_Lulu

As always the greatest misconception about Dark Souls is that it is how "difficult" it is IF you die....

Nobody's concerned about exactly how you die...... What is it thats killing so many people ?

Well thats easy, its a fun combo between Trial & Error and Stats, and thats the ideal version of Dark Souls, throw in the actual version of Dark Souls with bugs and glitches and performance issues and thats Dark Souls in a nutshell.....

Honestly I don't care about the penalties for dying.... You can put that in many games and it wouldn't be an issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#93  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Mother of God... this forum is filled with casuals.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Again, play the game, you imbecile. Don't talk about misconceptions on a game you've never touched.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

As always the greatest misconception about Dark Souls is that it is how "difficult" it is IF you die....

Nobody's concerned about exactly how you die...... What is it thats killing so many people ?

Well thats easy, its a fun combo between Trial & Error and Stats, and thats the ideal version of Dark Souls, throw in the actual version of Dark Souls with bugs and glitches and performance issues and thats Dark Souls in a nutshell.....

Honestly I don't care about the penalties for dying.... You can put that in many games and it wouldn't be an issue.

Loading Video...

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@freedomfreak: I do not like games that are difficult for the sake of being difficult. So, I am not a fan.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulu_Lulu

@Blabadon

Make Me !

I may not be credible but I'm not wrong.... And you know it....

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I've got a confession to make. I've only played the first game in the Souls franchise (Demon Souls).

I liked it enough to beat it. IDK what the hell I was doing during Dark Souls heyday. Then I read about the shitty hitboxes in DS2 and decided to stay away.

I sincerely hope Bloodborne doesn't suffer from the same problems.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Lulu_Lulu

@StormyJoe

Actually the Souls games are difficult for the sake of its lore and philosophy. The difficulty is the very fabric that ties Souls Universe together.

A game thats difficult for the sake of being difficult would be Super Meat Boy or CloudBerry Kingdom.....

As for the actual quality of the difficulty.... Thats a different discussion all together.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#100 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I put something like 15-20 hours into the game. The game was pretty fun, very challenging but not too unfair (if you knew how to avoid impossible situations -- like hit detection weirdness and bad camera angles).

But after a while, doing the same thing over and over, and over, and over, and over again became a pretty annoying chore. If there had been a way to clear out and ultimately erase enemies from certain zones, the game would have been much more rewarding (IMO). Kind of like taking down a stronghold in Far Cry 3.

Dark Souls is one of the least dynamic games we've had in recent memory, so that also takes away from the allure or surprise one might otherwise enjoy.