Any reason to think Nintendo will hold a conference at E3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

With news today that they'll stay mum about future plans (No NX or QOL news) and instead will focus their attention on Wii U + 3DS, is there any reason to think that they'll host a presentation or opt for the digital direct route like they did last year? Which option would you prefer?

I lambasted Nintendo for their digital direct last year and would be sorely disappointed to see that become their new MO at E3. That said, I'm not terribly confident that hosting a presentation would better advance their PR or be less embarrassing if they have little to show, comparatively speaking.

Cost effectiveness be damned, conferences are necessary to fuel our content pool for memes :P

Bonus question: will MS or Sony hold simultaneous nationwide events, like Sony did last year? And in Sony's case, will they downplay their presence, seeing that the AAA publishers are bolstering their presence while Sony intends to host its own conference (PS Experience) each year in December? Share with us your insight.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I thought the nintendo direct last year was by far the best presentation. They told us about the stuff we wanted to know and cut out the rest of the bullshit. Also the robot chicken thing was hilarious. I hope they do it again this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Um...... Nintendo is going the "Nintendo Direct" route. It has worked well for them to this point and I don't see why they would go back now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony and M$ following Nintendo and dropping E3 conferences all together. Save your money and let the publishers duke it out on the show floor. Plus you don't have to worry about games crashing or people messing up lines in the live show.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

I like the Nintendo direct approach because it saves all the awkward cringes the other two conferences offer in spades.

That said, Nintendo can get really weird sometimes too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The Nintendo Digital Event last year was by far the best 'conference' of the three, very effectively and neatly delivering on the news. It, alongside the Treehouse events, is the way to go, and personally I hope they do have another Digital Event this year.

That said, I imagine next year (or whatever year they announce the NX) is the one that they will do a full, live presentation again.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@Basinboy said:

With news today that they'll stay mum about future plans (No NX or QOL news) and instead will focus their attention on Wii U + 3DS, is there any reason to think that they'll host a presentation or opt for the digital direct route like they did last year? Which option would you prefer?

I lambasted Nintendo for their digital direct last year and would be sorely disappointed to see that become their new MO at E3. That said, I'm not terribly confident that hosting a presentation would better advance their PR or be less embarrassing if they have little to show, comparatively speaking.

Cost effectiveness be damned, conferences are necessary to fuel our content pool for memes :P

Bonus question: will MS or Sony hold simultaneous nationwide events, like Sony did last year? And in Sony's case, will they downplay their presence, seeing that the AAA publishers are bolstering their presence while Sony intends to host its own conference (PS Experience) each year in December? Share with us your insight.

Their Digital Direct + Treehouse Event last year was the best thing to happen to the E3 format in YEARS.

You are getting the information anyway, but without all the *waitforfakeapplause* bullshit and nervous PR folk failing at being funny or charming on needlessly bloated presentations. Or the press ignoring stuff they choose not to care and filtering the information through their bias and/or click bait crap.

So why do you care if its LIVE or not? The press isnt getting their balls licked and this is a wonderful thing. **** the press! Serve ME the consumer directly. Gaming journalism is a bit closer to getting the attention they deserve, which is next to none.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Basinboy

@charizard1605 said:

The Nintendo Digital Event last year was by far the best 'conference' of the three, very effectively and neatly delivering on the news. It, alongside the Treehouse events, is the way to go, and personally I hope they do have another Digital Event this year.

That said, I imagine next year (or whatever year they announce the NX) is the one that they will do a full, live presentation again.

I recall having this conversation, conceding I didn't get to experience the Treehouse stuff, which probably is determinative in my instance. And granted, when you look back at what Nintendo actually announced/discussed in their direct last year, it was lacking on content, and many of those things are still yet to come out (Mario Maker, Splatoon, LoZ, Starfox [which to date has had nothing of substance showcased]), so if they had shown up with suits on stage presenting that, it would have been much worse.

Am I the only one who actually enjoys the awkwardness the suits bring to the show, though? I like celebrating the event that is E3 as much as I do the news, and the digital direct made it all feel like any other news day. Or maybe it's just that I didn't find the announcements themselves compelling?

And as a disclaimer, I initially enjoyed Sony's presentation most last year because I got to participate in the theater shindig they threw, but the pace and format of MS' conference was demonstrably superior.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

The direct last was great because expectation were low since interest all surrounded the PS4 and Xbox One. Our eyes are on them this time and with no new hardware or Zelda it is hard to run a conference that people will actually care about. It seems like they are saving most of their resources on the NX and I personally can't see a SMG3 announcement. The biggest possible news I think coming from the big N this year are either going to be more Smash dlcs or the heavily rumor Metroid games which to me seems to be more like a NX tbh. As long as they are showing more Fire Emblem If I'll be super happy.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Heh, I personally don't care. E3 is exciting and all, but as long as they get their info out (and it's good) I'll be happy.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Basinboy

@Thunderdrone said:
@Basinboy said:

Their Digital Direct + Treehouse Event last year was the best thing to happen to the E3 format in YEARS.

You are getting the information anyway, but without all the *waitforfakeapplause* bullshit and nervous PR folk failing at being funny or charming on needlessly bloated presentations. Or the press ignoring stuff they choose not to care and filtering the information through their bias and/or click bait crap.

So why do you care if its LIVE or not? The press isnt getting their balls licked and this is a wonderful thing. **** the press! Serve ME the consumer directly. Gaming journalism is a bit closer to getting the attention they deserve, which is next to none.

As noted above in my response to char, I didn't get to experience the Treehouse stuff, which bolsters my argument some. Consolidating your announcements, having the stage for that instant to "show it all off," in essence - that element was lost on me because Nintendo split up their content and, due to being a working adult, I couldn't remain tuned in over the entire course of E3, so I didn't get to be part of their "community experience," shall we say.

I find the awkwardness - the failure of execs to be human - as an endearing part of the experience. There is a way to make a stellar E3 performance, but there's always somebody/something that f*cks up. Having the opportunity to poke fun at the powers that be validates the shortcomings, in my eyes, because it gives the internet fodder that aids in understanding what these companies actually are rather than swallowing the facades they try to put forward.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Of the non shitty things Nintendo still does, I would say the direct route at E3 is actually one of them.There was something less bullshit about it in comparison to the long and over done press conferences.

Still butthurt over the Mother 3 jab though. What assholes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Well they don't really need to. Maybe next year when the unveil NX. Who knows, they may announce a new handheld this year.

Although if the plan is to have the home console and handheld be like *brother* devices they may launch the same time, we'll see.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nintendo destroyed the twins at last years E3. And it was all thanks to the E3 Digital event. There was less filler, no awkward pauses and no hamming it up to the crowd. I hope they do it again and that the twins consider the same thing. I don't need to see suits telling us how many times the share button was pressed. I want to see high quality trailers and we got that from Nintendo. I screamed every time the camera would pan out to the crowd during a trailer for the twins.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Nope. They'll do a Direct.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I hope they do a direct again. I mean, why do you WANT games to crash and people to screw up lines and wasting my time when I want to see games. If I'm watching someone show gameplay I want to see it work, not screw up and crash. I don't care about memes, that isn't what e3 is about.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#17 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@Basinboy: They have been doing the stream show for two years now. why would they change? Not to mention their show was easily the best last year. With actual game play, demos, and that Treehouse thing.

I think the whole "Stand on stage and blab and show pre-rendered trailers" is getting old.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:
@Basinboy said:

Because it's fun to see unpredictability. It's fun to see people screw up, and fun to watch improvisation. Live showings are always inevitably more entertaining than pre-recorded ones that know exactly how to edit down to the second. You have a crowd that is also partaking in the laughs, boos, scoffs, sighs. It's the same reason people go to Live concerts and movie theatres as opposed to putting on a phone of headphones or sitting at home watching on your screen. There's enjoyment and a foundation for discourse to be found in sharing the excitement and reaction of the collective in the moment.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

For me I don't care at which event or via which medium companies use to share with us gamers their plans/products.. All I care about is info being shared is correct rather than 80% BS as it happens quite often.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Nintendo direct + Treehouse.

It worked so well last year.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I prefer Direct. It cuts away so much bullshit.

Sony in particular has made it an effort to keep going on about something before showing it off. We get it, it's for the players, let the footage roll.

Jesus..

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Please understand.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I loved how Nintendo handled E3 last year.

They had a short, compact, to the point Nintendo Direct. Then had 3 days of Twitch live streaming on the E3 showfloor with their booths (Treehouse event). This was by far the best presentation between all the publishers and developers.

They should do that again this year. And honestly, Sony and Microsoft could learn a thing or two from this. It cuts out so much crap you see on stage. Sure you lose some of that "live" feeling, but realistically, I'm sitting at home watching it on my monitor anyway.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

It's already been made official that Nintendo are just doing there Nintendo Direct instead, I think the only time they will do a press conference is for there new home console

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Nah they will stick with their Nintendo Direct

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@inb4uall said:

I thought the nintendo direct last year was by far the best presentation. They told us about the stuff we wanted to know and cut out the rest of the bullshit. Also the robot chicken thing was hilarious. I hope they do it again this year.

Then you dont even need E3 ! They can release such things thru internet directly.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@inb4uall said:

Then you dont even need E3 ! They can release such things thru internet directly.

Heck, I think Game Publishers are already doing just that.

Activision already let the ball roll with Black Ops 3 and Tony Hawk 5.

Ubisoft is already spilling beans on Assassin's Creed 2015.

Bethesda might announce Fallout 4 and Dishonored PS4/X1 edition.

Rockband 4 announced, Persona 5, Deus Ex Mankind Divided.....

E3 just isn't the same anymore.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

They'll stick with a direct. Only thing I want is release date for Chronicles.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44062 Posts

Update OP.....

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-revealing-its-e3-plans-tomorrow/1100-6427271/

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

Nintendo Is Set To Reveal E3 2015 Plans Tomorrow