Analysis of the 3 consoles' advantages: Xbox 360 is in the worst position

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dragonboot
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

The 360 Slim, more reliable than previous versions, has just been released. Kinect is currently the most hyped motion controller on the market. Xbox Live is making Microsoft boatloads of money. Multiplatform games still seem to favor the 360 over the PS3. It seems like the 360 has a lot of things going for it. So how can the 360 be in the worst position from a console war strategy perspective? This is mainnly due to how the 360's long-term advantages compare to the PS3's and the Wii's. When long-term advantages of each console are examined, the 360 becomes the most vulnerable. In particular, long term advantages of the 360 become weaker over time.

LONG TERM ADVANTAGES OF HOME CONSOLES

XBOX 360:

1) Xbox 360 has largest library of HD games. This advantage become weaker and weaker.In fact, from 2008 to the present, the PS3's library is actually better than the 360. Therefore, the PS3's better games are more technically impressive than the 360's. To play console games with the most impressive graphics, sounds, multiplayer size, you need to the PS3. Furthermore, the PS3 has arguably more variety of games--you are not likely to see games like Flower, LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, or any of this generation's MMOs on the 360. Also, you can add more 3D games to the PS3's library.

2) Multiplatform console games tend to look/play better on the 360. This advantage has gotten weaker and will only get weaker over time. This is because developers are becoming more and proficient in working with the PS3's difficult hardware. In fact, some games like Dragonage and Final Fantasy 13 actually look/play better on the PS3. Furthermore, for the vast majority of multiplats, the differences are getting so insignificant that most reviews give the 360 and the PS3 versions the same score.

3) Xbox Live is still the best online service. While true, the advantage also becomes weaker over time. The hardcore gamers with enough money and desire to pay for LIVE's fees tend to have already bought the 360. Furthermore, PSN has improved to the point that it is more than good enough for multiplayer games. With PSN plus, the PS3 now competes with LIVE on 2 levels: the free service and the paid one. PSN completely overwhelms LIVE when it comes to the free service. However, LIVE is not much better than PSN for the paid service because PSN plus offers lots of free games and discounts and other features to match LIVE Gold's features.

Xbox Live also loses to PSN more and more to gamers who has the means to appreciate graphics, sounds, multiplayer size, and creativity (LittleBigPlanet/ModNation Racers).

It should be mentioned that LIVE will not be able to compete with PSN when it comes to motion-controlled multiplayer games. The only motion controller for the 360 is Kinect, which is laggy and imprecise. Inefficient control scheme will make competitive gaming over LIVE frustrating because gamers will have good reasons to blame the controller instead of themselves. Move, having less lag and being much more precise, will make it quite practical to have competetive multiplayer gaming over PSN. In fact, Killzone 2 and Socom 4 will be compatibe with Move.

4) Xbox 360 has more room for price reductions than the PS3. While true, this advantage also becomes weaker over time. Since the PS3 is now at a more reasonable price and since Sony has a strategy of producing exclusives after exclusives, gamers will continue to buy the PS3 no matter how cheap the 360 is. In other words, Sony is making the PS3's value independent of the 360's prices (If you look at the sales of the PS3 after the 360 Slim's release and price reductions of the older model, the PS3 still sells the same or better over all).

In time, as Blu-ray and 3D becomes more mainstream, a PS3 price cut will be more effective than the 360 price cut. A 360 price cut only gives you a cheaper console. A PS3 price cut gives you a cheaper console and a cheaper 3D blu-ray player.

Furthermore, as the 360 gets priced-reduced to around $150, LIVE fees will be perceived more and more as too expensive. You see, gamers and parents will think about the price of LIVE relative to the price of the console. The cheaper the console the more expensive LIVE appears.

5) Kinect is more hyped and is seen as more innovative than Move. This advantage too will dissipate over time. As we learn more and more about Kinect, we begin to see more and more flaws: Kinect is laggy, imprecise, and require lots of physical energy to play. It seems to have issues with sitting and lying down. As such, over time, it will become obvious that Kinect games will be mainly about dancing and exercise games, with a few pet simulations thrown in. As such, it will become clearer and clearer that Kinect games lack variety, which means Kinect games as a whole will become stale after a year or two. Think how music games on the home consoles are now selling less and less. The same will happen with Kinect games after a few years.

PS3

1) The PS3 has more advanced hardware than all other home consoles. This advantage only gets stronger over time. We are seeing it now: More graphics kings on the PS3. More HD (lossless) sounds. Less disk-swapping. Multiple games on one disk. More support for 3D games. Blu-ray movies. Soon...3D movies.

2) Sony has more first and 2nd party developers making exclusive games. This advantage gets stronger over time. As more and more exlusive games are made for the PS3, the PS3 console itself becomes a more and tempting option for Wii, 360, PC gamers looking to play unique games in HD graphics.

3) Move is the most versatile motion controller on the market. This advantage will get stronger over time. While it is hard to innovate games using Kinect (because Kinect is laggy, imprecise, tiresome), it will be easier to innovate Move games. Look at recent Move tech demos at IGN or Gametrailers and you will see why Move is easier to innovate.

4) The PS3 has the best free multiplayer gaming on the home consoles.This advantage also becomes stronger over time. As the price of the PS3 gets cheaper, more cost conscious gamers do not have to factor in the cost of multiplayer gaming. WIth PSN, unlike LIVE, the relative cost of online gaming to console price, as the console gets cheaper, is a non-issue.

WII

1) Wii has a lock on the casuals, especially little kids. Overtime, this advantage holds. Nintendo has large catalogue of casual games for adults and kids. With Wii still having more room for price cuts, it doesn't appear like Sony or Microsoft will take hold of the casuals and the kids this generation, until perhaps the PS3 gets to $149 price tag.

2) Wii has the only motion controller that is an integral part of the console. This advantage holds over time. Even though Move is a more versatile motion controller than the Wii, the Wii will continue to have by far the largest library of motion control games. This is because the controller is used for every game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Yeah, well...that's just one guys opinion!!!!

:P

Nice breakdown man.

You know we are all human and we err, but you know you did your best, so thanks for your work.

ArcFatalix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ArcFatalix
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

Good analysis agree !

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

nice list i agree with most of them

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts
dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psn
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Analysis from a system wars member

Why would I ever take this seriously?

dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dragonboot
dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psnchris_yz80
This is not Sony propaganda. I don't work in the gaming industry and don't play the stock market. So I am just writing because I like to analyze the gaming industry. It actually teaches me a lot about business in general. Well, LIVE is technically worse than PSN because LIVE is totally dependent on the 360 hardware which is weaker than the PS3's hardware. Makes sense, no? Can you play games on LIVE that has the best console graphics? HD sounds? 256 player military battles? I don't think so. However, you can with PSN. To me, this is reason enough why LIVE is technically worse than PSN. LIVE may have more features, but on a technical level it's worse.
NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

[QUOTE="chris_yz80"]dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psndragonboot
This is not Sony propaganda. I don't work in the gaming industry and don't play the stock market. So I am just writing because I like to analyze the gaming industry. It actually teaches me a lot about business in general. Well, LIVE is technically worse than PSN because LIVE is totally dependent on the 360 hardware which is weaker than the PS3's hardware. Makes sense, no? Can you play games on LIVE that has the best console graphics? HD sounds? 256 player military battles? I don't think so. However, you can with PSN. To me, this is reason enough why LIVE is technically worse than PSN. LIVE may have more features, but on a technical level it's worse.

"This is not propaganda."

*paragraph of more propaganda*

Jcgamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jcgamez
Member since 2010 • 76 Posts
[QUOTE="chris_yz80"]dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psndragonboot

This isn't an analysis, in the first point for the 360 you are pro-sony, trying to express your opinion that the ps3's library is better, as a fact
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts

Can you play games on LIVE that has the best console graphics? HD sounds? 256 player military battles? I don't think so. However, you can with PSN. To me, this is reason enough why LIVE is technically worse than PSN. dragonboot

lolwut. Is this a joke? :?

PSN is better than live because of graphics, player count in one game, and "HD Sounds"? What the heck is HD sounds anyways? lol

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
Well, I may seem like a fanboy, but I agree with him. So many people still think the 360 has so much more to offer than the PS3... but it doesn't. The PS3 has caught up in every way possible.
Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonboot"]Can you play games on LIVE that has the best console graphics? HD sounds? 256 player military battles? I don't think so. However, you can with PSN. To me, this is reason enough why LIVE is technically worse than PSN. Stevo_the_gamer

lolwut. Is this a joke? :?

PSN is better than live because of graphics, player count in one game, and "HD Sounds"? What the heck is HD sounds anyways? lol

Things that go boom :P.
dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dragonboot
[QUOTE="Jcgamez"][QUOTE="dragonboot"][QUOTE="chris_yz80"]
[QUOTE="dragonboot"][QUOTE="chris_yz80"]dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psnchris_yz80

yeah you got owned it that thread, the same will happen here, im trying to look out for you and avoid a useless debate but them again you still dont understand peer to peer multiplayer and dedicated servers based on your second paragraph which means you cant be as smart as i give you creit for.

I didn't get own in that thread. I was gonna make a decent effort to defend that thread, too, but it was locked for reasons I disagreed with. What does peer to peer multiplayer and dedicated servers have to do with graphics, sounds, and multiplayer size(with acceptable graphics)? I know the 360 or the PS2 can have hundreds of players. But with what types of graphics. I genuinely believe that the 360 won't have multiplayer games over 200 players because such a game will have unacceptable graphics. Developers simply won't make sucha game. I would love to be proven wrong. The PS3's MAG with at 256 players at least has acceptable graphics. Not great, but acceptable.
dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dragonboot

[QUOTE="dragonboot"][QUOTE="chris_yz80"]dragonboot havent you learnt not to spread your sony propaganda yet, this is the same guy who said the live from a techinical perspective is worse than psnNotTarts

"This is not propaganda."

*paragraph of more propaganda*

Why is it so hard for some people to believe that there are normal, decent guys who happen to have video games as a hobby and can have opinions that favor one company over the other? And just because such a guy voices his opinion in this forum, he is accused of spreading propaganda. Folks, I genuinely believe in what I write down, not because I have any personal interests in the companies whatsoever. In fact, I believe there are smart people here who have personal interests in promoting Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo's interests. It is these people's reactions to my posts that I am mostly interested in. I am looking at some of you right now.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

tl;dr: I think I understand the industry b/c I play games and i know my intuition must be true, oh and btw Im a fanboy

dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dragonboot

tl;dr: I think I understand the industry b/c I play games and i know my intuition must be true, oh and btw Im a fanboy

tutt3r
I don't see how you might think my analysis is based on intuition. At least I respect people in this forum enough to give supporting statements to my opinions.
loadedboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loadedboon
Member since 2004 • 1986 Posts

dragonboot i don't agree with you most of the time but this is spot on. You've told the truth and i agree 100%

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

[QUOTE="tutt3r"]

dragonboot

I don't see how you might think my analysis is based on intuition. At least I respect people in this forum enough to give supporting statements to my opinions.

everything you have posted is based all on your preconceived notions about the state of the 3 major companies and in what direction you think the industry will turn.

and for some reason any advantage MS has only seems to work against it, whereas the same logic could be applied to any of your statements for example:

ps3

Sony has the best hardware: still is expensive to make and compared to the 360 whos components are cheaper, Sony cannot do a price drop without taking a financial hit. (sony had worst hardware last gen, and wound up 1st place)

Sony has more secondary dev who produce exclusives: Exclusives are quickly becoming a minority and devs cannot support the expanding cost of marketing and production into new games without going multiplat

Move is the most versatile: Move is just as hyped as Kinect, and yet only kinect will fail from this according to you. Move has shovelware games that come with all gimmicks. Most families who would buy move already have a wii and see no point in getting a ps3 for move, and ps3 owners majority dont care about move

The best free multiplayer: only for now. with psn+ sony will try to get more players to switch to subscription based content by removing features from free and adding it to the suscription. sure playing online will remain free maybe, but a lot of other features along with new ones will require you to pay.

wii

wii has lock on casuals and especially kids: shovelware is flooding the market and to many games with only a few people buying means devs will jump off wii. kids dont buy as many games as older people who have jobs do since they rely on parents. wii is slowing down and lack of features and attraction to core gamers means those who tend to buy game and keep buying games are using other systems

wii controller is intergrated: that is a bad thing as a lot of people tend to prefer traditional controls, and with hardware limits you can only achieve so much.

all of this is just something i thought up, does that make me right? hardly in fact i will probably be dead wrong and there is zero "facts" that can be used to support my ideas other than using other facts to make conjectures which is just me trying to predict the future

NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

Why is it so hard for some people to believe that there are normal, decent guys who happen to have video games as a hobby and can have opinions that favor one company over the other? And just because such a guy voices his opinion in this forum, he is accused of spreading propaganda. Folks, I genuinely believe in what I write down, not because I have any personal interests in the companies whatsoever. In fact, I believe there are smart people here who have personal interests in promoting Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo's interests. It is these people's reactions to my posts that I am mostly interested in. I am looking at some of you right now.dragonboot

I'm sorry, dragonboot, but normal, decent guys don't use ridiculous points like '256 player' and 'HD sounds'. What you're saying seems to be along the lines of the 'blast processing' fad.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you've cleaned up the list. I agree with most of the points you've made :)

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
Agree with most of those points, good list.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I don't like the OP's thread his bias to PS3 so obvious its ridiculous. I'm sorry but each console has its pros and cons. Every single thread he makes is to praise the ps3 like its his God and attack the 360.
mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

yeah, carmack, Crytek, and The guy who created the cell all said that the Ps3=360 in power there's no way to spin it, the games may look better on ps3, but you also have to realize what you see doesn't equal technical, and that the 360's only dis advantage is a sall 1st party studio that don't push the 360. the only guys that are sorta pushing it are epic but that holds not much bearing since they are really using a multiplat engine and want to show of its power. no one has pushed the 360 since 08 (09 actually halo wars) until Halo Reach, and that game does so much its funny people are trying to pus it off as nothing much.
omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

Huh ?!!!

the PS3 advantage are mainly the first party and the BluRay, of course multiplayer got better on it but that's coz they were BAD at first, while the x360 enjoyed decent multiplatform games from the start.

although i believe the PS3 is more worthy than the x360, ur post is over exagerrating almost everything.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Youre dedicated i'll give you that

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I love the way the Sony fanboys make this gen sound like a well calculated game of chess instead of the mess of blundering mistakes we have actually witnessed, while I agree the PS3 is an attractive proposition now it by no means eclipses the 360 and providing games keep coming Im sure it can hold its own. You guys have always said how important the years of a solid steady line up of games contributed to customer confidence, surely that applies to any company in the business?

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
I agree that the 360 has the worst position. With more and more of the Pc/360 games going multiplat, with Bungie leaving, what are you really left with? (worse) Halo, and two average exclusives in the form of Gears and Fable. If the 360 didn't have a headstart, and thus a big enough market share that publishers won't ignore it, it wouldn't be getting half of the games it does and it would've failed.
Jcgamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jcgamez
Member since 2010 • 76 Posts
Agree with most of those points, good list.gamebreakerz__
Not surprising considering your bias towards 360 and wii
1kryptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 1kryptic
Member since 2010 • 430 Posts

I don't like the OP's thread his bias to PS3 so obvious its ridiculous. I'm sorry but each console has its pros and cons. Every single thread he makes is to praise the ps3 like its his God and attack the 360. mystic_knight

This. I just read his post to get a good laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The 360 Slim, more reliable than previous versions, has just been released. Kinect is currently the most hyped motion controller on the market. Xbox Live is making Microsoft boatloads of money. Multiplatform games still seem to favor the 360 over the PS3. It seems like the 360 has a lot of things going for it. So how can the 360 be in the worst position from a console war strategy perspective? This is mainnly due to how the 360's long-term advantages compare to the PS3's and the Wii's. When long-term advantages of each console are examined, the 360 becomes the most vulnerable. In particular, long term advantages of the 360 become weaker over time.

XBOX 360:

1) Xbox 360 has largest library of HD games. This advantage become weaker and weaker.In fact, from 2008 to the present, the PS3's library is actually better than the 360. Therefore, the PS3's better games are more technically impressive than the 360's. To play console games with the most impressive graphics, sounds, multiplayer size, you need to the PS3. Furthermore, the PS3 has arguably more variety of games--you are not likely to see games like Flower, LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain, or any of this generation's MMOs on the 360. Also, you can add more 3D games to the PS3's library.

2) Multiplatform console games tend to look/play better on the 360. This advantage has gotten weaker and will only get weaker over time. This is because developers are becoming more and proficient in working with the PS3's difficult hardware. In fact, some games like Dragonage and Final Fantasy 13 actually look/play better on the PS3. Furthermore, for the vast majority of multiplats, the differences are getting so insignificant that most reviews give the 360 and the PS3 versions the same score.

3) Xbox Live is still the best online service. While true, the advantage also becomes weaker over time. The hardcore gamers with enough money and desire to pay for LIVE's fees tend to have already bought the 360. Furthermore, PSN has improved to the point that it is more than good enough for multiplayer games. With PSN plus, the PS3 now competes with LIVE on 2 levels: the free service and the paid one. PSN completely overwhelms LIVE when it comes to the free service. However, LIVE is not much better than PSN for the paid service because PSN plus offers lots of free games and discounts and other features to match LIVE Gold's features.

Xbox Live also loses to PSN more and more to gamers who has the means to appreciate graphics, sounds, multiplayer size, and creativity (LittleBigPlanet/ModNation Racers).

4) Xbox 360 has more room for price reductions than the PS3. While true, this advantage also becomes weaker over time. Since the PS3 is now at a more reasonable price and since Sony has a strategy of producing exclusives after exclusives, gamers will continue to buy the PS3 no matter how cheap the 360 is. In other words, Sony is making the PS3's value independent of the 360's prices (If you look at the sales of the PS3 after the 360 Slim's release and price reductions of the older model, the PS3 still sells the same or better over all).

In time, as Blu-ray and 3D becomes more mainstream, a PS3 price cut will be more effective than the 360 price cut. A 360 price cut only gives you a cheaper console. A PS3 price cut gives you a cheaper console and a cheaper 3D blu-ray player.

Furthermore, as the 360 gets priced-reduced to around $150, LIVE fees will be perceived more and more as too expensive. You see, gamers and parents will think about the price of LIVE relative to the price of the console. The cheaper the console the more expensive LIVE appears.

5) Kinect is more hyped and is seen as more innovative than Move. This advantage too will dissipate over time. As we learn more and more about Kinect, we begin to see more and more flaws: Kinect is laggy, imprecise, and require lots of physical energy to play. It seems to have issues with sitting and lying down. As such, over time, it will become obvious that Kinect games will be mainly about dancing and exercise games, with a few pet simulations thrown in. As such, it will become clearer and clearer that Kinect games lack variety, which means Kinect games as a whole will become stale after a year or two. Think how music games on the home consoles are now selling less and less. The same will happen with Kinect games after a few years.

PS3

1) The PS3 has more advanced hardware than all other home consoles. This advantage only gets stronger over time. We are seeing it now: More graphics kings on the PS3. More HD (lossless) sounds. Less disk-swapping. Multiple games on one disk. More support for 3D games. Blu-ray movies. Soon...3D movies.

2) Sony has more first and 2nd party developers making exclusive games. This advantage gets stronger over time. As more and more exlusive games are made for the PS3, the PS3 console itself becomes a more and tempting option for Wii, 360, PC gamers looking to play unique games in HD graphics.

3) Move is the most versatile motion controller on the market. This advantage will get stronger over time. While it is hard to innovate games using Kinect (because Kinect is laggy, imprecise, tiresome), it will be easier to innovate Move games. Look at recent Move tech demos at IGN or Gametrailers and you will see why Move is easier to innovate.

4) The PS3 has the best free multiplayer gaming on the home consoles.This advantage also becomes stronger over time. As the price of the PS3 gets cheaper, more cost conscious gamers do not have to factor in the cost of multiplayer gaming. WIth PSN, unlike LIVE, the relative cost of online gaming to console price, as the console gets cheaper, is a non-issue.

WII

1) Wii has a lock on the casuals, especially little kids. Overtime, this advantage holds. Nintendo has large catalogue of casual games for adults and kids. With Wii still having more room for price cuts, it doesn't appear like Sony or Microsoft will take hold of the casuals and the kids this generation, until perhaps the PS3 gets to $149 price tag.

2) Wii has the only motion controller that is an integral part of the console. This advantage holds over time. Even though Move is a more versatile motion controller than the Wii, the Wii will continue to have by far the largest library of motion control games. This is because the controller is used for every game.

dragonboot

Anyone that can't see that the PS3 has the brightest future of the current consoles is blind. The longer generation is only going to help Sony. Who in their right mind would not buy a ps3, if they are in the market for a set top like box? The system has proven itself as the best blu ray player on the market. People will claim that the super high end players are better than the ps3, but fact of the matter is that someone that bought a ps3 in 06 still has a relevant 3d blu ray player.

Not to mention it crushes the competition in terms of graphics and audio.

1kryptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 1kryptic
Member since 2010 • 430 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonboot"]

XBOX 360:

PS3

WII

Heirren

Anyone that can't see that the PS3 has the brightest future of the current consoles is blind. The longer generation is only going to help Sony. Who in their right mind would not buy a ps3, if they are in the market for a set top like box? The system has proven itself as the best blu ray player on the market. People will claim that the super high end players are better than the ps3, but fact of the matter is that someone that bought a ps3 in 06 still has a relevant 3d blu ray player.

Not to mention it crushes the competition in terms of graphics and audio.

Ya, graphics and audio(By the way, there's no proof the PS3 even has superior hardware). Yet in games, they will remain equal.

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
So im assuming "weaker over time" is the new "just wait"
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts
I can agree with Kinect going to be a fail, but seriously? Move becoming a success? I don't think so with so much junkware being tossed around for it. Also, it seems very bias to Sony. note: I have all 3 consoles (well not really, the PS3 belongs to my cousin, but hell, we live in the same house).
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
PS3 has more advanced hardware? tell that to the RSX, sorry, the gimped 7900 GPU in the Ps3, Ps3 doesn't even have a hardare upscaler or Edram or even unified shader architecture, and it's funny how IBM suddenly decided to cancel all research into the CELL,if it was that good why drop it in favour of hybrid GPU/CPU's, and the ability for MS to price drop is not getting weaker, expecially not here in blighty where i can get a halo reach 250gb special edition console for the same price as the cheapest Ps3 SKU, sorry dragonboot, but there are so many holes in your little crystal ball predictions it's ubelievable.
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ExESGO
PS3 has more advanced hardware? tell that to the RSX, sorry, the gimped 7900 GPU in the Ps3, Ps3 doesn't even have a hardare upscaler or Edram or even unified shader architecture, and it's funny how IBM suddenly decided to cancel all research into the CELL,if it was that good why drop it in favour of hybrid GPU/CPU's, and the ability for MS to price drop is not getting weaker, expecially not here in blighty where i can get a halo reach 250gb special edition console for the same price as the cheapest Ps3 SKU, sorry dragonboot, but there are so many holes in your little crystal ball predictions it's ubelievable.delta3074
*nod in agreement* I have really yet to see a PS3 go cheaper also than a Wii or beat the Wii in the console rating (well, it was for one month). But still, PC gaming for me.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"]PS3 has more advanced hardware? tell that to the RSX, sorry, the gimped 7900 GPU in the Ps3, Ps3 doesn't even have a hardare upscaler or Edram or even unified shader architecture, and it's funny how IBM suddenly decided to cancel all research into the CELL,if it was that good why drop it in favour of hybrid GPU/CPU's, and the ability for MS to price drop is not getting weaker, expecially not here in blighty where i can get a halo reach 250gb special edition console for the same price as the cheapest Ps3 SKU, sorry dragonboot, but there are so many holes in your little crystal ball predictions it's ubelievable.ExESGO
*nod in agreement* I have really yet to see a PS3 go cheaper also than a Wii or beat the Wii in the console rating (well, it was for one month). But still, PC gaming for me.

i am saving up for a super rig, after Halo reach and gears 3, i feel i will have little need for a console, i am going to become a Hermit and post my modded crysis pics all over the interwebs,lol
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ExESGO

[QUOTE="ExESGO"][QUOTE="delta3074"]PS3 has more advanced hardware? tell that to the RSX, sorry, the gimped 7900 GPU in the Ps3, Ps3 doesn't even have a hardare upscaler or Edram or even unified shader architecture, and it's funny how IBM suddenly decided to cancel all research into the CELL,if it was that good why drop it in favour of hybrid GPU/CPU's, and the ability for MS to price drop is not getting weaker, expecially not here in blighty where i can get a halo reach 250gb special edition console for the same price as the cheapest Ps3 SKU, sorry dragonboot, but there are so many holes in your little crystal ball predictions it's ubelievable.delta3074

i am saving up for a super rig, after Halo reach and gears 3, i feel i will have little need for a console, i am going to become a Hermit and post my modded crysis pics all over the interwebs,lol

Go do that. I'll be busy making Fallout: New Vegas run like a fat lady running in during the peak of summer at a desert while your at it.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Not a bad list, most of the points make sense. Though I'm not too sure that these will translate into more people buying the PS3 in favour of the 360. Some gamers aren't aware that the strengths of the consoles have shifted as you describe (most of my 360 loving friends think that the PS3 has no good games), and even if PSN is better (and free), people will still go for live because they think more people use it, especially if they want to play with people they know in real life. Though that's not relevant since it's not disputing anything in your post, what you posted is spot on.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Ya, graphics and audio(By the way, there's no proof the PS3 even has superior hardware). Yet in games, they will remain equal.

1kryptic

Uh, the games? I could care less about the techno talk. I was never really impressed with my 360. To me it just didn't feel like a true next gen console. I finally got around to buying a ps3 this passed year, and from an audio/visual standpoint, it offers things that are leaps and bounds ahead of the 360. Lossless sound, blu ray video, a more professional looking interface, bluetooth, the immediate ability to connect an external hd, and the fact that the system has produced the best looking games of this gen.

Overall I've been somewhat disappointed with this generation of console, save for some wii/ps3 exclusives. Halo online is great, and it is probably the bulk of my gaming, but it really isn't that much different from last gen.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I don't think so, TC.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Oh great a SW analysis.....this will hold facts I'm sure of it.
dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dragonboot
I forgot to add that LIVE will not be able to compete with PSN when it comes to motion-controlled multiplayer games. The only motion controller for the 360 is Kinect, which is laggy and imprecise. Inefficient control scheme will make competitive gaming over LIVE frustrating because gamers will have good reasons to blame the controller instead of themselves. Move, having less lag and being much more precise, will make it quite practical to have competitive multiplayer gaming over PSN. In fact, Killzone 2 and Socom 4 will be compatible with Move.
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

it becomes weaker over time lol

thats all you see on 360

dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dragonboot

[QUOTE="dragonboot"][QUOTE="tutt3r"]

tutt3r

everything you have posted is based all on your preconceived notions about the state of the 3 major companies and in what direction you think the industry will turn.

and for some reason any advantage MS has only seems to work against it, whereas the same logic could be applied to any of your statements for example:

ps3

Sony has the best hardware: still is expensive to make and compared to the 360 whos components are cheaper, Sony cannot do a price drop without taking a financial hit. (sony had worst hardware last gen, and wound up 1st place)

Sony has more secondary dev who produce exclusives: Exclusives are quickly becoming a minority and devs cannot support the expanding cost of marketing and production into new games without going multiplat

Move is the most versatile: Move is just as hyped as Kinect, and yet only kinect will fail from this according to you. Move has shovelware games that come with all gimmicks. Most families who would buy move already have a wii and see no point in getting a ps3 for move, and ps3 owners majority dont care about move

The best free multiplayer: only for now. with psn+ sony will try to get more players to switch to subscription based content by removing features from free and adding it to the suscription. sure playing online will remain free maybe, but a lot of other features along with new ones will require you to pay.

wii

wii has lock on casuals and especially kids: shovelware is flooding the market and to many games with only a few people buying means devs will jump off wii. kids dont buy as many games as older people who have jobs do since they rely on parents. wii is slowing down and lack of features and attraction to core gamers means those who tend to buy game and keep buying games are using other systems

wii controller is intergrated: that is a bad thing as a lot of people tend to prefer traditional controls, and with hardware limits you can only achieve so much.

all of this is just something i thought up, does that make me right? hardly in fact i will probably be dead wrong and there is zero "facts" that can be used to support my ideas other than using other facts to make conjectures which is just me trying to predict the future

It is not for "some reason" that Microsoft's advantages seem weaker over time. I discussed REAL REASONS why the advantages get weaker.

Haha. You made a decent effort to use my logic against the PS3. However, your logic is weaker than mine for the 360 because the facts support my logic/reasonings more

PS3 has the best hardware: I agree that the PS3, at this moment, can't afford to have cuts without Sony losing more money. This means nothing in terms of the PS3 having more and more console graphics kings. More games released on ONE disk. More Blu-ray movies. More games with larger multiplayer size than those found on LIVE. More lossless sounds. More 3D games. The PS3's hardware advantage doesn't get weaker. It gets stronger.

Taking about price cuts, the 360 can't afford more either at this moment. Infact, according to Microsoft's most recent quarterly report, the Entertainment division, which includes Xbox 360, lost over a hundred million dolllars!

SONY having more exclusive developers: The statements "exclusives are becoming a minority" and "exclusives are a thing of the past" are made for 3rd party developers. These developers do not have an interest in seeing which console is more successul--they only have an interest in getting the most money from Sony and Microsoft. However, for Microsoft and Sony, exclusives matter a lot because they are the main differentiating factor between the PS3 and the 360. Long term, the number of exclusives games on the PS3 increase more and more relative to the exclusives on the 360. Therefore, this PS3 advantage gets stronger over time. My reasoning prevails over yours. Sorry.

Move is the most versatile: I disagree that Move is just as hyped as Kinect. But this doesn't really matter for our discussion. I agree that Move, like Wii and Kinect, will have its fair share of shovel ware. However, this doen't mean Move will lack new, interesting games. Compared to Kinect, it is very, very clear that Move will have a more variety of games than Kinect. Overtime, because of Move's versatility, developers have an easier time innovating games for Move than for Kinect or even the Wii. I agree that the Wii will sell more than Move, but sooner or later Wii owners will want to uprade, even just to experience HD graphics. By the time most want to upgrade, the PS3 and Move's advantages over the 360 and Kinect will be more and more obvious.

You discussion about the Wiil, while reasonable, does not contradict my claim that Wii will continue to have an easy hold on the casuals and kids.

Overall, you are civil and reasonable, and even if I disagree with you, I am not going to demonize you.

dragonboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dragonboot
I don't like the OP's thread his bias to PS3 so obvious its ridiculous. I'm sorry but each console has its pros and cons. Every single thread he makes is to praise the ps3 like its his God and attack the 360. mystic_knight
Fair criticism against me. I do tend to make threads that favor the PS3 over the 360. I also tend to analyze the console wars on a long term basis, which is the reason why I like to make predictions. To me that's part of the fun in reading up on the gaming industry. In my defense, when I look at this industry in a long term view, I do see the 360 as having the worst position. What I write may seem biased towards the PS3, but if you really have an open, objective, and analytical mind, you can't help but see a positive, long-term future for the PS3.