Analysis: Did MOH allied assault ruined FPS genre long before COD4?

• 82 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25089 Posts

Hello friends,

So when talk about what game ruined FPS, many people either bring COD and Halo but when i research it more. i found that dumbing down of FPS genre was started by Allied assault that open the door for COD1 and finally COD4 that killed it until 2016 when Doom save it. and before someone say, I liked MOH allied assault a lot. its one of the best WW2 shooter but its influnce was not good.

here what i believe.

Here look at this onrail and scripted gameplay, i dont think there was any FPS before this game that has scripted events and on rail segments. 2 of worst thing it bring in FPS genre. and also having short campaign.

some say Half life bring scripted sequence. no there is nothing scripted about Half life as HL purist. infact its one of the most unscripted game with unique way and puzzle to find a way.

this is also one of the first FPS game where you have compass show where to go.

If you ask me, allied assault was just a better version of COD. it was short, full of scripted events, set piece instead of level design.

COD4 did ruined FPS in the end but this is the game that open the door for it.

so my friends, anyone agree with my analysis? lets discuss

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4391 Posts

neither cod4 or mw2 ruin anything

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

As Champ said, it was all Halflifes fault.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Cod4 didn't ruin anything. The companies wanting to be cod 4 did.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2153 Posts

No, EA ruined MoH by trying to make it into COD4. COD4 itself was a great game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Yes, one of the most groundbreaking and influential games of all time, a game with a metacritic scor of 91/100, and a game that even when blindfoolded people could point to and say without any doubt: "This is a PC shooter"...

is responsible for ruining the FPS genre.

And such a brilliant conclussion, from nitpicking one scripted sequence.

Titanfall 2 is a thousand times more linear and scripted. Yet you constantly gush how it's one of the best games of all time.

Newsflash: MOHAA, COD 1 & COD 2 and Titanfall are all made by the same people.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Nice try Ghost I see I triggered you again so you make a thread to try to trash MOHAA because you know it's one of my favorite games how cute lol another fail.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Nice try Ghost I see I triggered you again so you make a thread to try to trash MOHAA because you know it's one of my favorite games how cute lol another fail.

please read OP again.

@ghosts4ever said:

I liked MOH allied assault a lot. its one of the best WW2 shooter but its influnce was not good.

its game i also like but name me one game before allied assault that was scripted.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yes, one of the most groundbreaking and influential games of all time, a game with a metacritic scor of 91/100, and a game that even when blindfoolded people could point to and say without any doubt: "This is a PC shooter"...

is responsible for ruining the FPS genre.

And such a brilliant conclussion, from nitpicking one scripted sequence.

Titanfall 2 is a thousand times more linear and scripted. Yet you constantly gush how it's one of the best games of all time.

Newsflash: MOHAA, COD 1 & COD 2 and Titanfall are all made by the same people.

Loading Video...

See this. tell me if this is not scripted.

what i mean is, sympton of ruining FPS came from this game that open the door for COD4 and others.

Titanfall 2 by contrast have far more depth with wall running, Mech combat, Half lifish level design etc.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

what i mean is, sympton of ruining FPS came from this game that open the door for COD4 and others.

Titanfall 2 by contrast have far more depth with wall running, Mech combat, Half lifish level design etc.

Half Life is linear

Titanfall 2 is linear

MOHAA is linear

COD 2003 and MW 2007 are linear

What's wrong with linear games?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Half Life is linear

Titanfall 2 is linear

MOHAA is linear

COD 2003 and MW 2007 are linear

What's wrong with linear games?

nothing wrong with linear games but everything is wrong with scripted and on rail segments.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

nothing wrong with linear games but everything is wrong with scripted and on rail segments.

That video you posted of the on rails section is what... 10 minutes of a 8-10 hour singleplayer game.

MOHAA was praised for its diversity of gameplay and pacing.

Just because you watch a video of someone playing a game on the internet doesn't make you an expert.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I guess on a technicality the trinity of FPS that ruined the fps genre should really be Half Life, Halo, and Medal Of Honor. But Medal of Honor may have invented a lot of shit, CoD popularized it to another level.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp: Excluding Half life champ. It perfected FPS.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@jg4xchamp said:

I guess on a technicality the trinity of FPS that ruined the fps genre should really be Half Life, Halo, and Medal Of Honor. But Medal of Honor may have invented a lot of shit, CoD popularized it to another level.

Eh, the gameplay of MOHAA, COD, UO and COD 2 was all fine.

It was COD 4 that popularized a lot of crap in its multiplayer: unlocking weapons, earning XP, ... Ok, this did give a sense of engagement at the time, because your progress would carry from match to match, instead of resetting each match.

But here is the stuff I really hate: killstreaks and perks. Especially killstreaks bother me because why would you reward people that are already doing well by giving them overpowered weapons like a bomb that kills everybody/most people on the entire map.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

please read OP again.

@ghosts4ever said:

I liked MOH allied assault a lot. its one of the best WW2 shooter but its influnce was not good.

its game i also like but name me one game before allied assault that was scripted.

BS I called you out on your biased poll and this thread is your retaliation it's beyond obvious and quite sad.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

BS I called you out on your biased poll and this thread is your retaliation it's beyond obvious and quite sad.

translation

"herp derp i cant read"

my friend, i hope one day you shill game that is actually great. allied assault is just 7/10 game. i couldnot include it in my top 10. maybe in top 20 as i have higher standard when it comes to FPS games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

translation

"herp derp i cant read"

my friend, i hope one day you shill game that is actually great. allied assault is just 7/10 game. i couldnot include it in my top 10. maybe in top 20 as i have higher standard when it comes to FPS games.

LMAO you mean you prefer games like Halo, COD MW2, and FC2 to true PC games like, MOHAA, FC, Battlefield 2 ect.. you're a FPS console guy pretending to be a hardcore PC gamer. You even talk like one and call FC a tech demo you probably said the same about Crysis too. Btw the new Doom games aren't true PC games they are designed for consoles first it has no mod support or dedicated servers it's not even built from the ground up on PC even DOOM 3 was which was a real PC game not some glorified QTE killing marathon.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp

@R4gn4r0k said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Eh, the gameplay of MOHAA, COD, UO and COD 2 was all fine.

It was COD 4 that popularized a lot of crap in its multiplayer: unlocking weapons, earning XP, ... Ok, this did give a sense of engagement at the time, because your progress would carry from match to match, instead of resetting each match.

But here is the stuff I really hate: killstreaks and perks. Especially killstreaks bother me because why would you reward people that are already doing well by giving them overpowered weapons like a bomb that kills everybody/most people on the entire map.

Never said any of those games were bad. Generally all the influential games tend to be good (tho not always), but more often than not game devs have borrowed elements from highly popular game, and just shoe horned it into their own type of game. Often misunderstanding that the reason x worked, was because it was also surrounded by y n z n shit.

Halo actually makes a 2 weapon limit system, regen health, a grenade hot key, a melee hot key work. Other titles not so much.

Scripted sequences have their merit, they shouldn't have become the only form of excitement left in the gameplay loop.

And first person unskippable glorified cutscenes that Half Life does for story telling may add a lot to immersion in half Life, but it also came with the caveat that on replays you can't skip that shit, and have to sit through all that shit again, when you could just be replaying for the gameplay.

This became an even more obnoxious aspect of games later.

@ghosts4ever said:

@jg4xchamp: Excluding Half life champ. It perfected FPS.

Ruined fps games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

LMAO you mean you prefer games like Halo, COD MW2, and FC2 to true PC games like, MOHAA, FC, Battlefield 2

Proove it. everyone here knows me that i have been critic for COD and Halo games for years. its just later FPS games become so bad that i call them worse than Halo. include your fav wolfenstein too aka worst FPS of all time. you just cant have counter argument and always ignore games i posted and pretend they dont exist.

@warmblur said:

you're a FPS console guy pretending to be a hardcore PC gamer.

lol someone first PC game was allied assault and got into PC gaming in 2005 teaching me you are console FPS guy. you are the one who is shilling last of us 2 and ghost of shusima that are console movie game. again lying. i dont even own any console.

@warmblur said:

ou even talk like one and call FC a tech demo you probably said the same about Crysis too.

Yes it was tech demo where AI spot you from behind the rock. FC2 was HUGE step up from original but since it doesnot have QTE and cinematic segments, you prefer trash like FC3 to onwards.

@warmblur said:

Btw the new Doom games aren't true PC games they are designed for consoles first it has no mod support or dedicated servers it's not even built from the ground up on PC even DOOM 3 was which was a real PC game not some glorified QTE killing marathon.

and still better than all your terrible games combine. what a sad state of blur. Doom 3 which was PC build game has lable as black sheep of franchise by every fan and Doom 2016 was return of it. but why care? you were not PC gamer when Doom 3 released. it was released in 2004.

imagine if Doom with glory kill require tons of skills and challenge, without it, you wouldn't last for a second. you might beat Eternal on easiest difficulty to form opinion. If newer Doom were console first. they would be slower games like original concept of Doom 4 which you would love. they are PC first multiplat games. but regarding of this useless debate either console game or PC game. they have far more depth than allied assault and its not even comparible as they dont have on rail segments.

btw heres my list of 10 FPS games.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/what-are-you-top-10-fps-ever-name-one-game-per-fra-33489454/

counter the arguments if you have other than generic

"LMAO you like COD" BS.

instead of personal attack and lying. make a counter arguments that make sense.

go back to GTA5 kid.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

In that case it wasn't even Allied Assault that ruined anything it was the original Medal of Honor. Allied Assault is simply the culminating mix of all previous ideas in the franchise but with better tech. But then again LOL Sniper logic.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@glez13 said:

In that case it wasn't even Allied Assault that ruined anything it was the original Medal of Honor. Allied Assault is simply the culminating mix of all previous ideas in the franchise but with better tech. But then again LOL Sniper logic.

Original Medal of honor was goldeneye for PS1 ie same unplayable crap.

Allied assault was only good MOH game but also the first game after PS1 games so it is the one that lead the thing my friend.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts

What is ruining gaming are the most vocal downers that do nothing but make other gamers feel bad for liking the games they enjoy.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3132 Posts

A bad idea only has power when idiots put it into practice. That being said, CoD had given me some great memories, but I personally can only go back to the same well so many times. The bigger problem I see is stagnation.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

So when talk about what game ruined FPS, many people either bring COD and Halo but when i research it more. i found that dumbing down of FPS genre was started by Allied assault that open the door for COD1 and finally COD4 that killed it until 2016 when Doom save it. and before someone say, I liked MOH allied assault a lot. its one of the best WW2 shooter but its influnce was not good.

here what i believe.

Loading Video...

Here look at this onrail and scripted gameplay, i dont think there was any FPS before this game that has scripted events and on rail segments. 2 of worst thing it bring in FPS genre. and also having short campaign.

some say Half life bring scripted sequence. no there is nothing scripted about Half life as HL purist. infact its one of the most unscripted game with unique way and puzzle to find a way.

If you ask me, allied assault was just a better version of COD. it was short, full of scripted events, set piece instead of level design.

You say Doom 2016 saved FPS as there was no good FPS in the 9 years between COD4 and DOOM 2016. What about metro 2033, ARMA 3, CSGO, BF2BC, Far Cry 2 and Deus EX HR. You are a mess of contradictions. A FPS fan who likes about 5 FPS games lol.

And MOH:AA was a great run-and-gun shooter, praised back in the day by both console and PC gamers alike. Graphics and gameplay were top notch for the time. Are you sure you were playing FPS at this time? Probably plays awful now but back in the day it was cutting edge.

Half Life practically invented scripted events in FPS, it was praised for it too back in the day it was a new and exciting feature in FPS. So are you saying Half-Life ruined FPS as it made scripted events popular and influenced FPS to come later? Please explain to me how MOH:AA is less scripted and linear than Metro 2033?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#26 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17923 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@floppydics said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends,

here what i believe.

Loading Video...

You say Doom 2016 saved FPS as there was no good FPS in the 9 years between COD4 and DOOM 2016. What about metro 2033, ARMA 3, CSGO, BF2BC, Far Cry 2 and Deus EX HR. You are a mess of contradictions. A FPS fan who likes about 5 FPS games lol.

And MOH:AA was a great run-and-gun shooter, praised back in the day by both console and PC gamers alike. Graphics and gameplay were top notch for the time. Are you sure you were playing FPS at this time? Probably plays awful now but back in the day it was cutting edge.

Half Life practically invented scripted events in FPS, it was praised for it too back in the day it was a new and exciting feature in FPS. So are you saying Half-Life ruined FPS as it made scripted events popular and influenced FPS to come later? Please explain to me how MOH:AA is less scripted and linear than Metro 2033?

There were plenty of Great FPS after 2007 to 2016 but genre suffer badly in that era. yeah we have Metro series that is saving grace, we got Deus Ex HR which was more of immersive sim, Far cry 2 was great but hated, Gunslinger was amazing so was Shadow warrior 2013 but Doom 2016 show FPS that they bring old school mechanics and ditch the regen health system as a result most FPS these days donot use regen health they use back in days.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1848 Posts

I think the genre fall started with Doom in 1994. Doom Eternal is especially one of the worst fps ever made.

And Stalker ruined the open world fps genre.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

@ghosts4ever: my friend, I still waiting for proven me wrong.

I still say Allied assault was good 7/10 game but is it better than Doom? Doom Eternal? Metro? Shadow warrior? Prey? Gunslinger?? Black Mesa? Absolutely not.

Its B tier FPS game that was praised because it was one of first cinematic WW2 FPS game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever said:

I still say Allied assault was good 7/10 game but is it better than Doom? Doom Eternal? Metro? Shadow warrior? Prey? Gunslinger?? Black Mesa? Absolutely not.

Its B tier FPS game that was praised because it was one of first cinematic WW2 FPS game.

Finally ghost has found his intellectual equal to debate with. I think ghost might actually win this one for once.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Finally ghost has found his intellectual equal to debate with. I think ghost might actually win this one for once.

btw champ, is it really matter anymore if game is simultaneos release or build for PC first as biggest proof is quality difference between Eternal and Doom 3. Doom 3 was PC build and often regard as worst Doom game despite it was amazing too.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Oh wow, this thread has brought Ghosts lunacy to new levels.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#33 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Allied Assault is a fantastic game. The variety of the missions is just on another level. I had a lot of fine memories playing that one.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

NOLF 2 was parodying on-rails FPS vehicle stages just a few months after MOHAA released, so it must already have been a familiar trope. Can't think what those previous examples could have been though...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever

@sancho_panzer said:

NOLF 2 was parodying on-rails FPS vehicle stages just a few months after MOHAA released, so it must already have been a familiar trope. Can't think what those previous examples could have been though...

NOLF was also pretty bad. it was just goldeneye made for PC.

it was not until FEAR monolith deliver a masterpiece.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@biggest_loser said:

Allied Assault is a fantastic game. The variety of the missions is just on another level. I had a lot of fine memories playing that one.

Yup, I'm sure that MOHAA is a fond memory for almost anyone that played it. An absolute classic from the golden age of PC FPS.

Unless of course you got your ass kicked online like @ghosts4ever did.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@biggest_loser said:

Yup, I'm sure that MOHAA is a fond memory for almost anyone that played it. An absolute classic from the golden age of PC FPS.

Unless of course you got your ass kicked online like @ghosts4ever did.

it is indeed from golden age of PC FPS. but game was not golden. it was barely decent.

RTCW was golden though. released same year.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@sancho_panzer said:

NOLF was also pretty bad. it was just goldeneye made for PC.

it was not until FEAR monolith deliver a masterpiece.

I personally loved NOLF and NOLF 2, loved Blood and loved Goldeneye. FEAR was a fine game too. Different strokes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

it is indeed from golden age of PC FPS. but game was not golden. it was barely decent.

Hell yeah, RTCW was absolutely incredible and I still think fondly of that game.

In fact I was watching Where Eagles Dare yesterday and I kept getting reminded of RTCW.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Hell yeah, RTCW was absolutely incredible and I still think fondly of that game.

In fact I was watching Where Eagles Dare yesterday and I kept getting reminded of RTCW.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 is waaay more like Where Eagles Dare than RTCW.

It's also the best WW2 shooter, has one of the best campaigns in any military shooter and it's not heavily scripted or railroaded at all.

Blows CoD, BF, MoH away, but would probably a bit much to handle for your average consoletard, as there's a lot more to it than just go forward and shoot the baddies that pop up on the screen.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k

@bussinrounds: I love MOH, RTCW and COD (the older ones). But honestly I gave Hidden and Dangerous 2 a fair shot back in the days but I didn't really enjoy it. Extra strange because I love every other 2k Czech game.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bussinrounds: I love MOH, RTCW and COD (the older ones). But honestly I gave Hidden and Dangerous 2 a fair shot back in the days but I didn't really enjoy it. Extra strange because I love every other 2k Czech game.

Why didn't you like it ?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4199 Posts

First off, this is one of the few times I actually agree with you, Ghost, on rails shooting segments are absolute trash and should never appear in a game again unless somebody has a really, really, really good idea for one (like, not a better, more inventive version of what we've already seen, like something so otherworldly awesome that gamers go, "holy ****, I can't believe nobody's ever done this before).

But you're grossly misunderstanding what "scripted sequence" means. Every video game ever has scripted sequences. While some are more elaborate than others, every game is scripted. I imagine what you're talking about are very specifically scripted set pieces where enemy #1 always runs across the battlefield and dives into a bunker, enemy #2 always throws a grenade at the leftmost brick wall, etc. To that, I say, take a class or two on the fundamentals of game design and on programming AI.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

we should probably establish that the fps genre is indeed ruined first, and then why exactly is it ruined before we start attributing blame.

if you're saying it's heavily scripted / on rails sequences, you need to be consistent. some of your favourite games like metro, max payne and alan wake rely heavily on scripted / on rails sequences

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:

we should probably establish that the fps genre is indeed ruined first, and then why exactly is it ruined before we start attributing blame.

if you're saying it's heavily scripted / on rails sequences, you need to be consistent. some of your favourite games like metro, max payne and alan wake rely heavily on scripted / on rails sequences

Max Payne is one of the most mechanically perfect game in every way. of course its linear story driven game but its hardly hand holding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Halo did ruin the FPS genre btw though. It mainstreamed console FPS and regenerating health. It's funny though that you are shitting on a true PC classic that people still play online and mod compare to games like Halo, and COD4 that destroyed so many great FPS series including Medal of Honor, Battlefield, F.E.A.R., Crysis etc... but.. yeah MOHAA had some scripted sequences and parts on rails and that somehow dumbed down the FPS genre please... try harder.. Do you think Halo is actually better then MOHAA?

Even your boy knows what's up.

Loading Video...

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

Max Payne is one of the most mechanically perfect game in every way. of course its linear story driven game but its hardly hand holding.

yeah sure, heavily scripted games can still be great if the mechanics are good. your op sounded like you were blaming scripted / on rails sequences for ruining or dumbing down the genre, but there's more to bad shooters than those things

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

yeah sure, heavily scripted games can still be great if the mechanics are good. your op sounded like you were blaming scripted / on rails sequences for ruining or dumbing down the genre, but there's more to bad shooters than those things

Ghost doesn't understand pacing of a FPS it's not a bad thing to have on rails in parts to break up the gameplay from repetition.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Halo did ruin the FPS genre btw though. It mainstreamed console FPS and regenerating health. It's funny though that you are shitting on a true PC classic that people still play online and mod compare to games like Halo, and COD4 that destroyed so many great FPS series including Medal of Honor, Battlefield, F.E.A.R., Crysis etc... but.. yeah MOHAA had some scripted sequences and parts on rails and that somehow dumbed down the FPS genre please. try harder.

Even your boy knows what's up.

Loading Video...

Mack also praise Halo and think industry dont make these type of games anymore.

also he praise Rainbow six vegas. he is not very trustworthy.

the reason i blame MOHAA because it came long before COD4, before COD2, before COD1, before Halo 2 (Halo 1 had healthpacks).

Medal of honor started as console FPS series, MOHAA is only PC exclusive along with pacific assault (which absolutely suck). the series started as PS1 version of goldeneye set in WW2.

COD1 was influnce by MOHAA and COD4 was influnce by COD1. the linage went to MOHAA that open the door.

was MOHAA good? sure. it was great for its time but now its just not age well. infact I even prefer it to original COD1.

Is it better than Doom and Eternal? Prey? Titanfall 2? Shadow warrior? Metro? Absolutely not. not even close. but it is better than many of terrible shooters that also include your beloved far cry series.

there was brothers in arms road to hill 30 that was released same time and was better and more creative than MOHAA

Loading Video...

Also have story and characters instead of just play as faceless/voiceless marine.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Ghost doesn't understand pacing of a FPS it's not a bad thing to have on rails in parts to break up the gameplay from repetition.

speak like true casual/console gamer my friend. on rail segment break immersion and pacing in FPS games. its one of the worst mechanics ever introduced in games. you are doing nothing just point a mouse and shoot like playing some virtual cop. disgusting. imagine if masterpiece like STALKER and Half life had on rail segments..

I even hated on rail segment in Max Payne 3 but then i was fine by it since game was super good.