All Xbox Ones are Dev Kits!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

It was made clear earlier this year that every Xbox One would have the capability of becoming a development kit, making it easier for aspiring hobbyists to create for the platform without having to fork out the cash for dedicated hardware. What you might not know is that this functionality doesn’t need to be patched in — you can activate it right now, if you’re willing to risk stuffing up your console.

As Reddit user “LiamHing” found out, all one has to do is enter the following combination of buttons while viewing the “System” menu:

Left bumper, right bumper, left trigger, right trigger

After which a new menu option will appear called “Developer”.

However, an Xbox One developer weighed in on the conversation to warn users of turning this feature on willy-nilly, as entering incorrect information in the “Sandbox ID” field (visible in the picture above) can put your console into a “boot loop”.

This is not a good thing.

The developer also mentioned that issues like “privacy, security [and] stability” would need to be resolved before “anyone and everyone [can] sideload an app onto their box”.

So what can you do for now? Well, that depends on how brave you’re feeling. If you do decide to go ahead and fiddle with the developer settings, please don’t blame us if your console explodes or does something else terribly terrible.

All Xbox Ones are Dev Kits! [Reddit]

SOURCE

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Cool but I would never do this in a million years. I also wonder if it voids your warranty.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

this is old ass news

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

It doesn't void your warranty, but there are certain things you'd have to avoid if you do this, like the article states. Also, you won't actually be able to do anything with the system as you still need the PC's XDK in order to get your PC and Xbone to communicate with one another.

And even if you did have the XDK, it is so barebones that you won't really be able to do anything with it. There are a few cool NGUI debug apps that you can access once you've booted into a dev sandbox, as well as accessing the debug tools for the mic array or motion tracking.

There aren't any editor tools to let you actually create anything though. And app publishing is such a convoluted process in Xbone development, I doubt any typical RL users will be able to do anything with this box in this mode.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Yep, it's pretty awesome for indie devs, but the news is kinda old. MS announced they would do this months ago.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

All ps4's are gaming consoles. Gaming console > devkit

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

this is old ass news

Yeah they announced this months ago.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

I predict that this feature will go away like the "install other OS" feature did on the ps3 once hackers work it out.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Now i have a reason to get an xbox one,Mame and all emulators will be code pretty fast,if you don't know what your doing you brake it,but if you know what your doing (and allot of people out there know) something good may come out of it.

Also this could be the gateway for pirates to brake in and start piracy.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I wonder if it would be possible to run a real-time application to overclock the system? For sure I'd imagine there would be possible limits with things being locked down... but maybe a bit of wiggle room to increase performance by 5% - 10% maybe?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@o0squishy0o Yeah, those 720p titles won't run in 30fps by themselves.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Cool but I would never do this in a million years. I also wonder if it voids your warranty.

Don't think it does. Regardless, I agree. Would never do this. I respect the hell out of people who create games, and I certainly don't have the ability to do it myself.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@El_Garbanzo said:

All ps4's are gaming consoles. Gaming console > devkit

Best post.