All this hype, such a waste of money.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MBirdy88 (7719 posts) -

The fundamental issue here, they are so expensive and yet they offer nothing dramatically different to the older consoles, and nothing over PC gaming except some exclusives, in terms of the next 6-12 months will be dog crap in comparison.

Was looking online today to consider a PS4 or X1....

Amazon.

PS4 - £350
Playstation Plus £35
Extra Controller £55
1 Game - £49-59 (WTF IS THIS?)

Total = Nearly £500.

I can get a IPS monitor and a damn high end graphics card that will last and beat these consoles for the next 3-4 years for that damn price. along with cheaper games.... and allround still better multiplayer, service options ect.

Same story for Xbox only total it to £570.

an IPS monitor and a damn graphics card would give you more games and an overall much better quality feeling.

I mean my god my current 2 year old graphic card plays Battlefield 4 better than these next gen consoles.

Why early adopt? why support £50-60 game prices?

Why support paying monthly for online with no control or benefits from it? (over said pc competition).

Console games? ok 1st party. but remember steam consoles next year, so you even potentially lose the console-multiplat advantage. a game built for steam is a game playable on all steam devices, e.g steam console and pc alike.

these consoles. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?

#2 Posted by RR360DD (11616 posts) -

Nice opinion

#3 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

you're gonna need more than a monitor and a GPU to play games

#4 Edited by MBirdy88 (7719 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Nice opinion

little bits of it are opinion, the points are not.

#5 Edited by marcheegsr (2522 posts) -

Don't buy it than. Nobody is forcing you.

#6 Edited by GhoX (4801 posts) -

Console games are expensive, because price gouging is fun and harmless. I care little about hardware prices, whether it's PC or console. However, I'm too spoiled by Steam/GMG to accept unreasonable bargains on games.

#7 Posted by Newhopes (4510 posts) -

I rather not waste my time on PC gaming, too many bad experience in the past and don't really give a shit about graphics either.

#8 Edited by freedomfreak (39206 posts) -

Don't be mad because we're getting the next Half Life of this generation.

#9 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I am not buying for at least a year. Not worth buying at launch. I leave that to the suckers of the world.

#10 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4535 posts) -
#11 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

You can't play PS4 exclusives on PC.

#12 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

I will be getting more than my moneys worth with the PS4 and it's less than 3 weeks away. :D

#13 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

Was Half Life 3 confirmed ? :D

I think he's referring to some people comparing Killzone 3 to Half Life.

#14 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Ok... dont be mad

#15 Posted by mems_1224 (46585 posts) -

@MBirdy88: All these meaningless words, what a waste of a thread.

#16 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@mrintro said:

You can't play PS4 exclusives on PC.

and vice versa

#17 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

After Titanfall comes out on Xbone; That and Dead Rising 3 are more than enough for me to pick one up early next year. Never have been a fan of PC gaming in any way. Very few genres and most of the exclusives are just downright boring. Not to mention terrible optimization. You spend $1000 on a PC and can't play the higher end games due to games running like sh*t due to optimization.

#18 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

I to am finding these game prices absurd. I've been so used to paying £30-40(which is already a high price to pay) for my games and now they bump it up another £10-20quid? Ridiculous.

#19 Edited by bezza2011 (2384 posts) -

idiot thats the worst comparison i have ever seen and heard.

so you are comparing a whole system which comes with an OS, Internet browser, all the other functions these consoles come with,

to a monitor and a graphics card???? seriously do you not realise that a graphics card alone doesn't up your capability and it has to be the right cpu and everything. please come back when you actually have a brain, your such an idiot, paying for online, at least we get free games with that so yes we do get benefits. jesus kids these days, useless,

Lets get one thing straightened out. A HIGH GRAPHICS CARD WILL NOT BEAT PS4/XBOXONE, you need decent ram, and motherboard and all the other stuff, when you come back with that and it compares to the price, then you can make a thread but until then just go back to school and learn something.

And One more thing, the steam console is coming out and they reacon it's going to cost $1000 so your point is???

#20 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

After Titanfall comes out on Xbone; That and Dead Rising 3 are more than enough for me to pick one up early next year. Never have been a fan of PC gaming in any way. Very few genres and most of the exclusives are just downright boring. Not to mention terrible optimization. You spend $1000 on a PC and can't play the higher end games due to games running like sh*t due to optimization.

and yet they run better than consoles

#21 Edited by lostrib (34582 posts) -

so you are comparing a whole system which comes with an OS, Internet browser, all the other functions these consoles come with,

to a monitor and a graphics card???? seriously do you not realise that a graphics card alone doesn't up your capability and it has to be the right cpu and everything. please come back when you actually have a brain, your such an idiot, paying for online, at least we get free games with that so yes we do get benefits. jesus kids these days, useless,

Lets get one thing straightened out. A HIGH GRAPHICS CARD WILL NOT BEAT PS4/XBOXONE, you need decent ram, and motherboard and all the other stuff, when you come back with that and it compares to the price, then you can make a thread but until then just go back to school and learn something.

And One more thing, the steam console is coming out and they reacon it's going to cost $1000 so your point is???

the steam box is announced to have multiple price points

#22 Posted by magicalclick (22449 posts) -

Both my PC and Xbox One have their own dedicated budget. They are both important to me. But, I am moving toward casual side now. So, more Gamefly gaming on Xbox and considering moving my PC to tablet space. Aside from using Kinect on my TV, I can miracast my tablet for other things. And I can program on the plane. The need for combined portable PC experience becomes more important to me recently.

#23 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Don't buy it and actually upgrade your PC

or

Buy both and be happy with both

#24 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

Well PC gaming isn't for everybody, if I wasn't a complete tech nerd I wouldn't have the patience for it.

Both the XB1 and PS4 are a nice upgrade from previous, especially the PS4, it's pretty good hardware value for $400

Only thing I'm not real happy about is pay for online "service" it's a complete ripoff.

#25 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@lostrib said:

You will also need to spend more money on consoles than PC if you want to rival the experience you get on PC. You want 10 games? $600. You could also easyily just get a cheap PC and just play DotA 2 and PoE for the rest of your life and still have more fun than anything on consoles and those games cost nothing and aren't P2W.

#26 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@lostrib said:

You will also need to spend more money on consoles than PC if you want to rival the experience you get on PC. You want 10 games? $600. You could also easyily just get a cheap PC and just play DotA 2 and PoE for the rest of your life and still have more fun than anything on consoles and those games cost nothing and aren't P2W.

Okay

#27 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

The fundamental issue here, they are so expensive and yet they offer nothing dramatically different to the older consoles, and nothing over PC gaming except some exclusives, in terms of the next 6-12 months will be dog crap in comparison.

Was looking online today to consider a PS4 or X1....

Amazon.

PS4 - £350

Playstation Plus £35

Extra Controller £55

1 Game - £49-59 (WTF IS THIS?)

Total = Nearly £500.

I can get a IPS monitor and a damn high end graphics card that will last and beat these consoles for the next 3-4 years for that damn price. along with cheaper games.... and allround still better multiplayer, service options ect.

Same story for Xbox only total it to £570.

an IPS monitor and a damn graphics card would give you more games and an overall much better quality feeling.

I mean my god my current 2 year old graphic card plays Battlefield 4 better than these next gen consoles.

Why early adopt? why support £50-60 game prices?

Why support paying monthly for online with no control or benefits from it? (over said pc competition).

Console games? ok 1st party. but remember steam consoles next year, so you even potentially lose the console-multiplat advantage. a game built for steam is a game playable on all steam devices, e.g steam console and pc alike.

these consoles. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?

Playing video games, watching movies, listening to music, watching music, internet, sports, tv videos, creating games. I don't understand your thread. Its obvious you don't see value in console gaming. Don't buy one. Do you want others not to? Or to prove you have the wrong opinion, as if that could be done?

#28 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@lostrib said:

Okay

Glad you agree

#29 Posted by princeofshapeir (13776 posts) -

Well all I know for sure is there's no real reason for me to own a next-gen console since I own a gaming PC, and there won't be an killer apps on XB1 or PS4 for a year after they launch or so.

#30 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@_Matt_:

Hahahahahah Killzone the next Half-Life? hahahhahahaha

#31 Posted by 5dlrbill (90 posts) -

I stay away from pc gaming never bin a fan.. XBOX1 is going to have everything that I can think of that would work against the pc.

#32 Posted by Netret0120 (2035 posts) -

You lost everyone when you showed your hermit colours. You will be slaughtered for it

#33 Edited by MBirdy88 (7719 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I will be getting more than my moneys worth with the PS4 and it's less than 3 weeks away. :D

You really won't. you get would get alot more value just getting games on your current platform.

You will spend £500 on a mediocre game and maybe 1 good one in a year. or you will buy multiple games on release none of which will stand out, you will end up going back to your old system/pc games even though you bought what 4 games and end up paying £700. but but the trade in right?

#34 Posted by MBirdy88 (7719 posts) -

what are you that dense? you already have most of that stuff, if we want to get nit picky replace the monitor with a mobo and cpu. both of which are still better than the console offerings.

The steam console will range from cheap to expensive. so ye, there will be a $1000 model. but then thats scalable hardware. not £500 for consoles that cant beat current PC battlefield on 2-3-4 even year old hardware.

why would you change the entire pc? so stupid. mobo , ram , cpu and gpu at most. why would i buy the OS again? jesus. most people who have upgraded in the last 4 years have quad cores and they are more than fine.

#35 Edited by musicalmac (22902 posts) -

Forget the money, it's all about Oculus Rift. Extra triangles can't make up for what the Rift brings to the table. It and the advent of 4k televisions (probably by the end of 2014) will make these consoles look really ancient really fast.

MS and Sony are launching their new hardware at a very unfortunate time.

#36 Edited by bezza2011 (2384 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@bezza2011 said:

what are you that dense? you already have most of that stuff, if we want to get nit picky replace the monitor with a mobo and cpu. both of which are still better than the console offerings.

The steam console will range from cheap to expensive. so ye, there will be a $1000 model. but then thats scalable hardware. not £500 for consoles that cant beat current PC battlefield on 2-3-4 even year old hardware.

why would you change the entire pc? so stupid. mobo , ram , cpu and gpu at most. why would i buy the OS again? jesus. most people who have upgraded in the last 4 years have quad cores and they are more than fine.

What no you don't, if you buy a new gpu it doesn't just mean you get next gen gaming, thats not how it works, unless you already spent 1000 on a gaming pc a year ago, the prices don't add up.

You buy a next gen console i'm buying a brand new OS,8GB OF RAM, GRAPHICS CARD, and your comparing a brand new console to buying just a graphics card and a monitor :S, your completly missing the whole thing that you already have a 700/1000 gaming rig in the first place, you can't just go well monitor graphics card is same price as a next gen, please get with it jesus.

steam box, no one knows the pricing, a cheap one at 500???? well is that going to be the same as the 1000 one no course not.

hmmm why would i change the entire pc hmmmm because to get next gen you probably will.

and read your last paragraph, you have just answered your own stupid question, you already own the OS and buying a graphics card, a cpu, ram, and mobo will cost more than a ps4/xbox one.

so when you start a thread, at least get a comparison which matches.

like come up with a pc which will produce the graphics and power of a ps4/xbox one at around the same price and then you can start making a thread what has any relevance to it.

instead of a thread which tells me o if i buy a new graphics card and a monitor it's the same price as a console/multiplayer and games lol come on.

#37 Posted by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

LOL no thanks, i'd rather play on a platform that doesn't have out of the park baseball 2007 as it's highest rated exclusive

#38 Posted by bloodlust_101 (2682 posts) -

@musicalmac: I still have a 1080p monitor even with 1440p monitors on the market for years. I doubt it is a necessity to cater to the 4k tv population, especially since it will have such low numbers for years. And lets wait for the rift to release before we spell doom and gloom using a peripheral that most people wont have, and most games wont support.