Alan Wake publishing rights revert back to Remedy. Sony Acquisition in the works?

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/alan-wake-publishing-rights-reverted-to-remedy

"For its first half-year period of 2019, Remedy Entertainment Plc records approximately 2.5 million euros of royalties from previously released games as one-time income," says the announcement. "In relation to this, the publishing rights of Alan Wake games are reverted to Remedy."

While the financial bonus doesn't do much for Remedy's bottom line, it's a welcome addition to the monetary portfolion for 2019, and will undoubtedly assist them in the development of their future titles, such as Control and - maybe - Alan Wake 2.

There's not much info given otherwise, short of this announcement itself, but it does signify good news for Remedy. Let us see what they do with it.

Look, the Sony stuff is just my made up speculation, but could an acquisition arms race, be starting? Look, the lem in me would be salty over this (not really, because I would still be able to play the games, its fun being a gainfully employed adult human) because I do not consider Remedy an equal trade for Ninja Theory, but part of me cant wait to see what happens.

There had to have been a reason for MS to not publish Alan Wake, and to cut ties with Remedy like this, when it seemed like Remedy was the one that wanted the relationship to continue. They arent stupid, and our speculation isnt anything that they havent thought of.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Sony should look into purchasing a studio that can fill the gaps in their exclusive offerings, not another action/adventure TPS.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Alan wake is one of the most underrated game in history imo, so whatever it takes to get a sequel I am all for!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22424 Posts

Hmmm interesting.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25178 Posts

Alan wake and Max Payne made remedy. Alan wake was infact best third person horror action game and crap all over resident evil.

bring it on.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Also, inb4 cows suddenly dont think Remedy is a trash developer

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I can't understand why MS did not fund Alan Wake 2. Perfectly good exclusive series opportunity just sitting there, and they do nothing with it. It's like they're determined to make all the wrong decisions.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@subspecies said:

I can't understand why MS did not fund Alan Wake 2. Perfectly good exclusive series opportunity just sitting there, and they do nothing with it. It's like they're determined to make all the wrong decisions.

yeah. alan wake was best microsoft exclusive of last gen. far better than gears and halo.

it was basically max payne of horror games. if only they fund Alan wake 2. it would be amazing but not.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46718 Posts

Anyone who hasn't played alan wake should get it in the steam sales right now.

Not a lot of games can pull off a great story combined with great gameplay.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I'm not familiar with this series beyond the news.... not sure what's up.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@subspecies said:

Apparently it didn't sell very well. So it's understandable why they didn't go on with a sequel.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Alan wake killed itself the moment it forced exclusivity and nuked the project for what it was from PC to xbox. Game got lots of hate because of it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

It'd be nice to see them continue the franchise. The first was great, but the sales left a lot to be desired. I'm gonna buy the complete edition now on Steam. I'd enjoy playing through the game again on PC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44711 Posts

I loved Alan Wake on the 360 and would love to see a sequel make its way to most likely next gen consoles. I wouldn’t even mind just seeing a remaster come out for current systems.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: You have the most absolute shit opinions I've ever seen lol. Alan Wake was good, but almost ever mainstream RE game kicks its was, and Halo and Gears are wildly more popular. Please stop, just stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

remedy sucks so who cares what they do?

they literally had a game with TV shows in it its anti gaming its anti me its anti everything about gaming for me

you don't put tv shows in a video game, you just don't game got liek 5/10 or something and was trashed all over the internet.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56564 Posts

@thatdbfan said:
@subspecies said:

Apparently it didn't sell very well. So it's understandable why they didn't go on with a sequel.

That's because Alan Wake launch the same day as Red Dead Redemption which was a bad move by both Remedy & MS. Red Dead Redemption was the most anticipation hype game everyone was looking forward to and completely overshadow Alan Wake because of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I assumed Sony was gonna buy Remedy, and if that means Alan Wake 2, then they should do it. It isn't first time another companies game showed up on the other.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70683 Posts

Alan Wake wasn't a good game IMO. Sony purchasing Remedy is a wasted investment. They already have enough movie game studios why add another one?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I really hope we get Alan Wake 2 the first game is great it's biggest strengths are the story and atmosphere. My biggest gripe of the game would be the combat it gets repetitive really quick they need a way to make it more fun like Max Payne 2 and also the game needs more variety. I honestly hope it goes open world I know people will probably hate that idea but Alan Wake was originally suppose to be open world so it could benefit from it.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#21 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I hope that Sony does buy Remedy because it would suit everyone. Sony need strong third person titles, and to go a step further Sony need a team to replace Naughty Dog and keep the Uncharted franchise alive.

Yes, I can actually see that happening. My ultimate hope though would be that Sony would help them buy back to the rights to Max Payne and they can make a proper sequel to 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Why would anyone want an Alan Wake sequel? The first one was just okay.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Don't see the point buying them to make Alan Wake 2 when they can just make Siren.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Was that the game where people threw spanners at you while you are running around in the woods? That made me laugh.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34811 Posts

Meh, Alan Wake was average. Interesting story, boring gameplay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@ezekiel43 said:

Why would anyone want an Alan Wake sequel? The first one was just okay.

no. it was better than any resident evil game. and that also include beloved RE2. in literally every way.

control wise its better

gameplaywise its better

Storywise it blow RE2 out of water easily

character wise see above

atmosphere wise its far better

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: You realize everything you just posted is complete and utter nonsense right?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Alan Wake was great, really enjoyed it. A sequel would be awesome.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@djoffer said:

Alan wake is one of the most underrated game in history imo, so whatever it takes to get a sequel I am all for!

This^^ I loved Alan Wake....the clicker :P

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11279 Posts
@StrongDeadlift said:

People said this? I mean, I rather they'd make a Max Payne-type game again, but they're not trash.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: Microsoft cut ties with them because Quantum Break was poorly received critically and only sold like a half a million copies. That is SUPER low sales.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

If Sony’s gonna buy anyone it should be IG (if they were willing to sell). Ratchet and Spider-Man both sold really well and they’ve always had a close relationship with them anyways.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@StrongDeadlift:

You mean like lemmings did with heavenly sword developer? Or with Insomniac?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@StrongDeadlift said:

People said this? I mean, I rather they'd make a Max Payne-type game again, but they're not trash.

Nobody ever said this, he is just trying to start a pitiful fanboy war.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Wait I thought Sony fanboys hated Remedy Studios since their 2 following games; Alan Wake and Quantum Break are both published by Microsoft (Only on Xbox) then now they're excited for Remedy to develop a Sony IP?

To clarify, Sony fans never claimed they hated Remedy, these are the developers who made Max Payne/2 & Death Rally. Alan Wake was praise by many but the main issue with Quantum Break it was mismanagement by MS but I for one enjoy QB in the matter of speaking.

@Litchie said:

Meh, Alan Wake was average. Interesting story, boring gameplay.

I actually like everything in Alan Wake. Perfect gameplay (depends who you ask) & premises is what made the game so good.

@Ant_17 said:

Don't see the point buying them to make Alan Wake 2 when they can just make Siren.

In QB, Remedy tease a Alan Wake sequel during the first level and it was a nice foreshadowing Remedy telling us Alan Wake isn't over just yet.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 511 Posts

I liked Alan Wake. American Nightmare wasn't that good but still I await a proper sequel.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@davillain-:A sequel can be teased, i just don't believe Sony will try and grab that horror game when they have Siren.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pedro

@davillain- said:

To clarify, Sony fans never claimed they hated Remedy, these are the developers who made Max Payne/2 & Death Rally. Alan Wake was praise by many but the main issue with Quantum Break it was mismanagement by MS but I for one enjoy QB in the matter of speaking.

Besides Alan Wake being pretty mediocre game, what are you basing this mismanagement claim on?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Ant_17 said:

@davillain-:A sequel can be teased, i just don't believe Sony will try and grab that horror game when they have Siren.

As far as horror goes, I'm more hype to play Control for the suspense and I actually forgot about Siren.

@Pedro said:

Besides Alan Wake being pretty mediocre game, what are you basing this mismanagement claim on?

I was referring to during the very early days of Xbox One before launching, it was always target as a Xbox One exclusive until it made the jump to Windows 10 at the very last minute and too many decisions effected Remedy's work. I been following QB since it's reveal and even made a hype thread here in SW.

Edit: And speaking of hype threads, I need to make one for Remedy's upcoming game, Control. I'm hype for that game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pedro

@davillain- said:

I was referring to during the very early days of Xbox One before launching, it was always target as a Xbox One exclusive until it made the jump to Windows 10 at the very last minute and too many decisions effected Remedy's work. I been following QB since it's reveal and even made a hype thread here in SW.

How did the game being available on Windows negatively affected the game especially when it was an after thought?

EDIT: With regards to Control, I am going to wait on user experience. Quantum Break was too cutscene heavy for my liking and was a movie game as far as I am concerned. The gameplay was actually very good. Its a shame it took a back seat.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I like Remedy but they take a really long time to put a game out. And the games are not even that long. I liked Alan Wake but prefer Quantum Break and would rather see a sequel to that.

It really is no secret that they have been wanting to make a sequel to it since 2010. They even put out a proof of concept video that they were shopping around after MS shot them down.

I don't think Remedy wants to acquired by a MS or Sony and would better off independent and multi plat. With their track record of long dev time and so so sales and reviews does not scream a solid investment either.

Again I like them and would totally play Alan Wake 2. They make fun different games but you have to wait at least 6 years to play one. If someone has not played Alan Wake or Quantum Break I highly recommend both.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@the-a-baum: I would prefer if they went a lite on the movie game formula because their gameplay (outside of Alan Wake) is pretty solid.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I'm not sure why Sony would want Remedy. Alan Wake was good as a concept, the story was good (combat was kind of nonsensical let's be honest here).

American Nightmare was just awful. It's like they gave it to a Remedy B team who never played the first game so they just made a crap action game for the expansion. Are Remedy big enough to even have a B team?

Quantum Break was okay. Really stupid idea to interrupt it with movie segments, it was more movie game than anything Sony have EVER done and lems claim to love it lolz the hypocrisy (and stupidity) is real.

Bottom line: Remedy are no big shakes. Let's wait and see with Control but no big expectations here.