Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

seen this video. making me sad.

this is the Alan wake we should have gotten. instead we get saga ander the game featuring alan wake. movie game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58995 Posts

My friend, it looks like more of the same.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

Haven't played Alan Aake 2 so can't comment. This gameplay looks more like part 1 which is a good thing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56130 Posts

My friend Ghost, log the hell out of GS, go play Alan Wake 2 we have now and come back and tell us how you feel.

Alan Wake 2 we've got now is really great. Just play the damn game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

The Alan Wake 2 game we did get is fantastic though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@davillain said:

My friend Ghost, log the hell out of GS, go play Alan Wake 2 we have now and come back and tell us how you feel.

Alan Wake 2 we've got now is really great. Just play the damn game.

but still its not alan wake is about. the video I post was real alan wake 2 which was cancelled sadly.

this so called alan wake 2 should have been new IP with saga as main character instead alan name tacked on.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38874 Posts

AW2 made the IP relevant. I don't want it to be like the garbage first game was.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

What are you crying about? The fact it has a playable female character? Oh muffin.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever

@pixievalerie said:

What are you crying about? The fact it has a playable female character? Oh muffin.

Game name is Alan wake. and Alan is side character in his own game lol. AW2 start with saga.

plus walking simulator is not AW is about. its about fighting against dark presence with torch and revolver while exploring.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever
@hardwenzen said:

AW2 made the IP relevant. I don't want it to be like the garbage first game was.

It made it more mainstream. to apeal mainstream audience.

original was masterpiece.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Sadly everyone considers 2 better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hardwenzen
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

There is NOTHING mainstream in AW2 wtf are you talking about... There's a reason why the sales are poor, its not a game for your average joe. In fact, the first game, brainless run n gun in a linear line was much more mainstream than AW2.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69525 Posts

Commenting on a game he didn't play...cute.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

Mechanically it would have been like the original in combat. It would have been reamed at reviews for being a "copy and paste" job. They'd be contending with the lukewarm mid reviews the remaster received, and the hostile needling the game has received over years for being a former Xbox exclusive.

I don't mind the Saga Anderson character at all, her character fits nicely in helping draw out the FBC angle in the story, and her connection to the Anderson family is also important, and the Anderson family itself along with Wake and Thomas Zane really open up the part about Cauldron Lake's past and need for artists by the dark presence.

Overall I liked the game but it has some annoying quirks. Mostly just design choices as far as how they code the supply drops based in players carried inventory which is stupid, one ammo box gives (depending on player inventory) 10 bullets if carrying 9 or less bullets, 5 bullets if carrying 10-19, 1 bullet if carrying more than 20. Shotgun shells are 6 per box if carrying 5 or less, and over that one or two shells per box. The game requires mapping inventory to D-pad manually to access on the fly. This is a contradictory design because the game doles out supplies only when the player is in dire need of it, but you can't always access your random pick-ups in the moment (like a flare, health pack, fuel tank, flash bang, etc) because it requires it be mapped to the D-pad, so your out of luck if in a pinch and what it gives you is not mapped on the D-pad. Plus the game doesn't always work to this balanced approach because you can be in pinch and it still gives players squat. The game almost never gave me batteries so I had to resort to reloading checkpoints when I hit them because that was only way to refill flashlight power.

Also, when playing as Wake in the Dark Place, I thought the world covered in shadows was stupid. The flashlight is worthless to dissolve them at anything short of just outside of arms reach unless you wanna waste the batteries you never get with focused light which would eat up batteries you never get, and then you have to waste a lot of ammo on each one that turns out to be a tougher bad guy, which sucks because there's no pick-ups. This is such conflicting design. You have to go out in the world traveling light to get ammo drops but then you're ill prepared to deal with a meatier fight, but if you go prepared you burn up all your supplies and get nothing back in return.

To get through the game I had to figure out the way these quirks worked and then exploited them. I'd walk away from a save room with little inventory to forage for ammo then drop it off in my shoe box before going back out to look for more just before I could think of advancing toward the plot drive points prepared. Worst is if you forage while carrying too much you relinquish any ability to get anything substantive from that ammo loot location for good.

Of course maybe on might say I am not playing game as intended, but I'd argue back it isn't working as intended. When I had my fight with Nightingale it wasn't giving me any shotgun ammo, just handgun ammo and I kept dying before I could finish him because he was a bullet sponge. I reloaded from the save hut before the fight and went to the boss fight again, this time the boss area had ammo drops for the shotgun and I finished him no problem. I think this game just has issues with the logic of ammo drops. In this case I think because I used my shotgun ammo up the first time before Nightingale fight it wouldn't even calculate shotgun shells into the ammo drop due to the ammo absence from inventory the first time. When I backtracked and returned with ammo, suddenly boss area was rich with shotgun ammo. Ammo drop rate are a big issue in this game, and ruin what would otherwise make a much more enjoyable experience.

I would have loved more gameplay like the original. But, people don't stick up for original except Xbox fans, and they couldn't just pander to that crowd. Overall I liked them drawing in Remedy's other works. Alex Casey felt like Max Payne from a parallel world, as did Agent Breaker like a parallel of the Quantum Break protagonist, and of course bringing the FBC to Caulfron Lake. The story was good, the technical craft was excellent, but the gameplay side felt wanting. I'd of rather they been more generous with the ammo and weapons and made up for it with more bad guys. They decreased enemy presence greatly, maybe to make it feel more challenging with lesser but tougher enemies. I would have preferred they went a more action focused route when it came to combat. I felt they had to go this route or risk being accused of rehashing.

Anyhow, for all the bad things I said I still really enjoyed it, but didn't find it as great as everyone said mostly do to these issues. These issues could be very easy to fix though with some proper tweaking. Perhaps others didn't have this issue as maybe because perhaps the issue is platform specific.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Alan Wake 2 is kind of mid though. Glad you DO see it as a movie game because it really has zero gaemplay.

Superb graphics when fully maxed with path tracing of course. Second best after Avatar.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

@Mozelleple112: even the first Alan Wake game despite having more gameplay is still overwhelmingly a walking sim. American Nightmare is really the only game'y Alan Wake anything and it gets very little recognition that it even exists.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46324 Posts

It's 2024 and Ghosts still can't get over a woman being in a video game.

Sam Lake the official spokesperson of Remedy said that they have made countless versions of AW2 and the version they ended up with is the one they are most proud of.

Not only did it won countless awards but myself and many other Alan Wake fans are happy with this game, instead of wallowing in the same negative 'oh what could've been if only women in video games didn't exist' trash.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's 2024 and Ghosts still can't get over a woman being in a video game.

Sam Lake the official spokesperson of Remedy said that they have made countless versions of AW2 and the version they ended up with is the one they are most proud of.

Not only did it won countless awards but myself and many other Alan Wake fans are happy with this game, instead of wallowing in the same negative 'oh what could've been if only women in video games didn't exist' trash.

Star wars outlaws looks interesting.

but this game is called Alan wake. should focus on alan wake. but alan is side character in his own game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@ghosts4ever said:

You're being tricked by Ubisoft again Ghost lad.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

You're being tricked by Ubisoft again Ghost lad.

not very good. just want to explore open world star wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@lamprey263: i had never any issues with ammo or batteries. Especially after you get the crossbow as Saga. It's one shot headshot kill even with shadowshield against normal enemies. You don't need ammo or batteries after that except against bosses. I just sniped all enemies with the crossbow before they even saw me, and you usually get the bolt back.

As Alan I just ran past all shadows, only using flashlight and ammo, if they attack. Most of the them are just harmless. Also some of the upgrades for Alan are really good, like getting more power to the flaslight with kills.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

I finally got up to the "We Sing" chapter, and I can safely say that the game would be significantly worse if it focused more on the action sequences.

The game is at its best when it's telling its story, or when it's going full Lynch and refusing to stick to genre conventions. The combat adds tension to the story, but sometimes it just gets in the way or feels unnecessary.

Meanwhile though, I'm glad that Alan Wake 2 includes glimmers of what an actual Max Payne 3 could have been like (rather than the Rockstar blandness that we got).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@Planeforger said:

I finally got up to the "We Sing" chapter, and I can safely say that the game would be significantly worse if it focused more on the action sequences.

The game is at its best when it's telling its story, or when it's going full Lynch and refusing to stick to genre conventions. The combat adds tension to the story, but sometimes it just gets in the way or feels unnecessary.

Meanwhile though, I'm glad that Alan Wake 2 includes glimmers of what an actual Max Payne 3 could have been like (rather than the Rockstar blandness that we got).

Looks like you're a big Sony Lover, which i kinda knew. Time to buy a PS5 tbh.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@ghosts4ever said:
@pixievalerie said:

Game name is Alan wake. and Alan is side character in his own game lol. AW2 start with saga.

plus walking simulator is not AW is about. its about fighting against dark presence with torch and revolver while exploring.

My friend, this is billy bullshit and we both know it.

Something like Doom, Quake, Duke3D, Blood that general ilk of games, the map design is such that can come back to them year and year and still not 100% due to how intricate and dense the explorative aspects are. Sometimes a dozen secrets on a level.

Alan Wake was about as linear a game as you can get. Everything was highlighted in big red boxes for the player in an almost straight line with checkpoints every 20 meters.

Let us not re-write history or falsely edify its prominence.

Mid. As mid can be. And that's being generous.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 744 Posts

That's the same

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

AW2 is a great game, but there are too many odd puzzles. There should have been more hints in the game (similar to how Uncharted does their hints).

I actually enjoyed playing as Saga and uncovering things more than I did as Wake, and thought the ability to switch between them and see the story from different angles was a great addition to the game. Most of the people complaining about that aspect of the game are sexist, racist or both. If you're not, then I'm not talking about you. But most are.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@lhughey said:

AW2 is a great game, but there are too many odd puzzles. There should have been more hints in the game (similar to how Uncharted does their hints).

I actually enjoyed playing as Saga and uncovering things more than I did as Wake, and thought the ability to switch between them and see the story from different angles was a great addition to the game. Most of the people complaining about that aspect of the game are sexist, racist or both. If you're not, then I'm not talking about you. But most are.

Though I was in Reset era. lol!!.

this game is called Alan wake!!!. but he is side character in his own game is biggest blunder.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69525 Posts

@ghosts4ever: So you are both 🤭

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

@hardwenzen: I already have a PS5. I only bought six games for it this year (Like a Dragon Isshin, FF16, Diablo 4, RE4, Like A Dragon Gaiden, and now Alan Wake 2). It was easily my least used platform this year, same as last year.