A game far more ambitious than any Ubi Far Cry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Back in 2005, there was this little game developed by a Russian studio Deep Shadows, it was called Boiling Point: Road to Hell.

The game took place in a fictional country, on a tropical island with plenty of jungles, somewhere around South America and had huge open world populated with people and animals alike. There were also various means of transport at your disposal. The game's world was huge - 625 square kilometres and there were no loading screens whatsoever.

It was a bit buggy and didn't have as high production values as any Far Cry game, but it had plenty of promise and ambitious ideas under the hood and was highly addictive and enjoyable if you looked past its minor flaws.

Firstly, it had proper RPG elements, like for example during conversations you could select one of the possible dialogue tree options with different outcomes and thus interactions with NPCs were very meaningful and there were different ways to fulfill your quests. Moreover, there were several conflicted factions with whose you could collaborate and it had an influence on the balance between those factions. If you double-crossed somebody, and that faction became hostile to you and engaged you on sight, you still had the chance to make amends, as you could meet with their leader in a local bar and try to do a couple of missions for them and gain their trust anew. Of course there was leveling system with upgrades for skills that worked similar to Skyrim (you leveled proficiency of those firearms you used the most). Furthermore, there were quests in the game that were not about killing people.

Secondly, the realism of the game mechanics was a really important layer: vehicles required fuel, weapons had degradable durability (same applied to different types of ammo) and could even jam. What is more, your character had limited stamina and his psychomotor skills were prone to degrading over time and firefights were really difficult if you were in a bad shape. That's why sleeping was useful in the game (you could rent a room in a hotel which was better for you or sleep in a car that was less beneficial towards regaining stamina but still got its job done). Besides, managing inventory was also cleverly done: usually in all games, you have a certain threshold of capacity and if you go over the limited, you are encumbered and walk slower. In Boiling Point however there was no such threshold, instead the more you carried, the slower you walked, so every additional kilogram of equipment made you walk slower, instead of the fixed threshold that offered no penalty for carrying ridiculous amount of gear, but would slow you down to a snail speed if you just went over a fixed limit by a tiny pixel. Furthermore, you could store your gear in the trunk of your vehicle and speaking of vehicles - besides limited fuel, you could also change tires or repair them if they were damaged.

Thirdly, the world was every bit as alive as it seemed in modern Far Cry games, like Far Cry 3 and 4 with open-ended gameplay that allowed you to use a vast array of different kinds of vehicles, including choppers. There were jaguars, cobras, piranhas and other dangerous creatures lurking in the jungle.

Fourthly, problem-solving, you could either try to complete as many missions as it's possible and gain trust of a lot of factions who could then help you or you could just bribe your way through if you had more cash, or you could just try to complete the main story missions.

Overall, I think we could name this game STALKER in the jungle and I think people from the original STALKER game who fell out formed Deep Shadows and created this game (if I'm not mistaken), but the game suffered from bugs and lack of polish, although the last patch ironed out most of them.

This game destroys Far Cry 2,3,4 in scope, mechanics and ambition, because it harks back to Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and harks forward to STALKER as well. It's really a shame this game didn't make it big, or the devs didn't get the chance to work with a bigger budget under some more prominent publisher's belt.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

Too read; didn't long

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

What does this have to do with System Wars?

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts
@Messiahbolical- said:

Too read; didn't long

Why are you mentioning this? Are you suffering from attention deficiency syndrom?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@robert_mueller said:
@Messiahbolical- said:

Too read; didn't long

Why are you mentioning this? Are you suffering from attention deficiency syndrom?

*facepalm*

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

The game does look interesting and has many ideas that were ahead of it's time. I don't feel compelled to play it, though. Maybe if I had known about it sooner.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

A long-winded blog about some game I've never heard of before is supposed to "destroy" Far Cry series as a whole? lol what the hell is the matter with some of you people?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Conceptually it destroys it, however Far Cry games offer more accessible instant gratification. I just want to shed some light about an ambitious overlooked game from which countless other contemporary devs could draw inspiration.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I just read the bit in the OP that compares this to STALKER and all I have to say is...no. STALKER>>>>this game, by miles. Let's not kid ourselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Is it available on steam? I think I need to try it.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts
@lostrib said:

@robert_mueller said:
@Messiahbolical- said:

Too read; didn't long

*facepalm*

You too?

I just hate people who complain about the length of posts.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven't heard of this game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I remember reading a review for it in a PC gaming magazine

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

What exactly was this post suppose to accomplish?

You could have easily made and proved your point without even mentioning far cry at all...