$60 games ARE THEY THE CULPRIT? POLL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Wii gamescost $50. 360 games cost $60 and are still on DVD. PS3 games are $60 and are on Blu-ray. Wouldn't it be better to sell more games at $50 than freeze out a whole chunk of the market at $60? Do you expect this pricing to change? Is the game price constricting hardware sales? Some guy from Epic (the loud mouths of the industry) said he disagreed with this pricing strategy and claimed development costs have not warranted such an increase. Your thoughts?

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts

Sure do. Especially when consumers see that the Wii is cheaper, games are cheaper, and they have the instantly-recognizable Mario games.

I've had the X360 since November and I haven't bought a 60 dollar game yet.

Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts

A $10 isn't big enough to alienate would-be-buyers from the 360/PS3, hardware cost is what it really comes down to IMO.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

A $10 isn't big enough to alienate would-be-buyers from the 360/PS3, hardware cost is what it really comes down to IMO.

Kekira

I agree. if you're willing to pay 400-600 for a game system. the extra ten bucks is not going to stop you. this seems to be backed up by the high attach rate for the 360. the ps3's attachrates are poor probably because some ppl did in fact buy it for blu ray and games but really end up using the blu ray more. (i know my cousin did that)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

$60 is to much. They would sell more games if they were $50. But people are going to still buy the $60 games... But less of them. Alot of people rent games these days too.

There is no reason for the increase in price of games. PC did not see an increase. So there is no excuse.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
That helps with the problem.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

$60 is to much. They would sell more games if they were $50. But people are going to still buy the $60 games... But less of them. Alot of people rent games these days too.

There is no reason for the increase in price of games. PC did not see an increase. So there is no excuse.

Truth_Hurts_U

Actually there is a good excuse for the $60 game. It is so Sony and Microsoft can recoup hardware losses faster, as money is made from games sold. For anyone that claims that consoles shpould always be sold at a loss...let that be a lesson to you and enjoy your expensive games. 60 one gen, how much next gen?

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
yup its a rip off. PC games are cheaper and drop faster in price.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Any game over $40 is in my opinion too much. :? Not all of us have that kind of money.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9568 Posts
Remember when some Sega Saturn games were priced around $80?
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
60$ is a lot but I don't have a Xbox or Playsation
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Actually there is a good excuse for the $60 game. It is so Sony and Microsoft can recoup hardware losses faster, as money is made from games sold. For anyone that claims that consoles shpould always be sold at a loss...let that be a lesson to you and enjoy your expensive games. 60 one gen, how much next gen?gromit007

If games raise in price even $0.01 i'm done with gaming. I could be spending my money on other things. Like go-karts, vacations and other real life things.

A $10 raise in 1 generation is uncalled for.

rued2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rued2k6
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
VF5 is $40 at bestbuy.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="gromit007"]Actually there is a good excuse for the $60 game. It is so Sony and Microsoft can recoup hardware losses faster, as money is made from games sold. For anyone that claims that consoles shpould always be sold at a loss...let that be a lesson to you and enjoy your expensive games. 60 one gen, how much next gen?Truth_Hurts_U

If games raise in price even $0.01 i'm done with gaming. I could be spending my money on other things. Like go-karts, vacations and other real life things.

A $10 raise in 1 generation is uncalled for.

Agreed

squirrel337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 squirrel337
Member since 2007 • 1002 Posts

Wii gamescost $50. 360 games cost $60 and are still on DVD. PS3 games are $60 and are on Blu-ray. Wouldn't it be better to sell more games at $50 than freeze out a whole chunk of the market at $60? Do you expect this pricing to change? Is the game price constricting hardware sales? Some guy from Epic (the loud mouths of the industry) said he disagreed with this pricing strategy and claimed development costs have not warranted such an increase. Your thoughts?

JiveT

Yes i do expect the pricing to change. I expexct it to go up thanks to the idiots that by the SP editions. They are telling the publishers that we are willing to pay more.

mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts
Personally, the only game I have bought for $60 full price was GeoW lol on the day it came out. Everything else I buy used or after it drops in price. Now for the Wii andlast gen games, I will drop $50 more often (I did for GOW2, Halo 2, and a bunch of others). Personally, I think $50 is kind of the limit, and a $10 increase may not seem like a ton at first, but after buying say, ten games, that's $100 extra out of your pocket. I also hate seeing used 360 games for like $55 when you can buy new Wii games (or last gen) for $50, some even $40. Lame.
rued2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rued2k6
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
i dont get why Wii games are $50. they still use DVDs, easy to develop for, and consoles are being sold at a profit.
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

I think they add to the problem but they arn't the only reason. No answer in your poll for that.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JiveT

I think they add to the problem but they arn't the only reason. No answer in your poll for that.

Firelore29

I didn't want to give too many options. I was just focusing on price of software and hardware but specifically on price of software.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Software should have stayed at 50 dollars.
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MorisUkunRasik
Member since 2006 • 1511 Posts

$29.99 at best buy
Madden 07
NHL2K7

$39.99 at best buy
VF5
THP8
COD3
Sonic
NBA2K7
Ridge Racer 7
College Hoops2K7

49.99 at best buy
Ultimate alliance
Untold legends
full auto 2
FEAR
NFSC
Blazin angels
surf's up
Virtua tennis 3

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

Sure do. Especially when consumers see that the Wii is cheaper, games are cheaper, and they have the instantly-recognizable Mario games.

nyoroism

After a Playstation decade, Mario games aren't "instantly recognizeable" to everyone any more.
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MorisUkunRasik
[QUOTE="nyoroism"]

AfterShafter

After a Playstation decade, Mario games aren't "instantly recognizeable" to everyone any more.

I strongly disagree with that

marvelfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marvelfan
Member since 2003 • 1365 Posts

Heck yeah, to think I have to spend $60 bucks for one game, after I just spent $400 for the console makes me sick.

If games where just like $30-$40 bucks I would have a huge game library.

At least I can havegame a good size library for my PSP.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JiveT

$29.99 at best buy
Madden 07
NHL2K7

$39.99 at best buy
VF5
THP8
COD3
Sonic
NBA2K7
Ridge Racer 7
College Hoops2K7

49.99 at best buy
Ultimate alliance
Untold legends
full auto 2
FEAR
NFSC
Blazin angels
surf's up
Virtua tennis 3

MorisUkunRasik

All those games came out at $60 originally save for a few. I didn't say the prices don't drop in time but the majority of new games for 360 and PS3 come out at the $60 price point. You forgot to put Viva Pinata up there for $30!

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
$10 bucks won't do much, you have to hit at least $40 to see a difference in sales IMO, with $20-30 being the sweet spot (putting them on par with DVD/HD formats), problem is that cuts off licensing fees for the manufacturers. The main thing is to shop smart, EB/gamestops "trade 3, get if free" deals are a great way to turn games you don't play into something worthwhile, and game prices drop pretty quickly all things considered.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

yup its a rip off. PC games are cheaper and drop faster in price.coolmonkeykid

That's what I love about PC Gaming, the prices are great. You can enjoy 2 games for the price of one 360/PS3 game.

MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MorisUkunRasik

[QUOTE="coolmonkeykid"]yup its a rip off. PC games are cheaper and drop faster in price.mismajor99

That's what I love about PC Gaming, the prices are great. You can enjoy 2 games for the price of one 360/PS3 game.

the games are cheap upgrading on the other hand

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AfterShafter
[QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="nyoroism"]

MorisUkunRasik

Oh well. I know tons of Playstation generation gamers who completely agree.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
PS3/360 games are $100(first party)/$120(3rd party) here. No way in hell will I pay that much. I'd much rather pick up a PC game for a fraction of the price, or wait until the game drops in price (GeoW is already down to $50 or so)
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MorisUkunRasik
[QUOTE="MorisUkunRasik"][QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="nyoroism"]

AfterShafter

Oh well. I know tons of Playstation generation gamers who completely agree.

mario is much more recognizable than any other character in video game history. His popularity is just as high now if not higher than it was when the N64 came out.

leonhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 leonhead
Member since 2007 • 1524 Posts
??? If your complaing about how games cost $60, be grateful you don't have to pay $90-99 for one of those new games...:cry:
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AfterShafter

mario is much more recognizable than any other character in video game history. His popularity is just as high now if not higher than it was when the N64 came out.

MorisUkunRasik

So? This was said:

"and they have the instantly-recognizable Mario games."

More recognizeable than any character in video game history, sure - but does that mean many gamers actually recognize him after 10 years of him being on a system that only a fraction of the gaming community cared about? Certainly not the new ones, and not the non-gamers the Wii is aiming for. So who's instantly recognizing him? Yes, more people than any other video game character - but that ain't a majority of the industry any more. Mario's recognizeablity during the Playstation generation wend into the gutter.

Besides, recognizeable as what? A lot of the PS generation gamers who DO recognize Mario recognize him as some icon of a little purple system that looked like a purse and got one great game a year.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
I agree. Games should not cost over $40 to $49 bucks brand new.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JDW_games
??? If your complaing about how games cost $60, be grateful you don't have to pay $90-99 for one of those new games...:cry:leonhead
Nobody would be playing these games if they cost $90 bucks.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Weren't N64 games $70?
MorisUkunRasik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MorisUkunRasik
[QUOTE="MorisUkunRasik"]

AfterShafter

So? This was said:

"and they have the instantly-recognizable Mario games."

More recognizeable than any character in video game history, sure - but does that mean many gamers actually recognize him after 10 years of him being on a system that only a fraction of the gaming community cared about? Certainly not the new ones, and not the non-gamers the Wii is aiming for. So who's instantly recognizing him? Yes, more people than any other video game character - but that ain't a majority of the industry any more. Mario's recognizeablity during the Playstation generation wend into the gutter.

Besides, recognizeable as what? A lot of the PS generation gamers who DO recognize Mario recognize him as some icon of a little purple system that looked like a purse and got one great game a year.

if you ask a casual gamer (the wiis target audience) to name a game character what do you think they'd say? You forget that he was also on the GBA and DS which have both been incrediblly successful. He is instantly recognizable by most everyone.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
You wont see me paying $60 for a game unless I really want it. I usually pay $40 or lower for new games. I think $20-$30 is the perfect price for games.
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
Well, since getting my 360 I've been renting games versus buying em at blockbuster. Something which I haven't done in five or six years due to the fact that I was younger and couldn't even afford a fifty dollar title.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JDW_games
You wont see me paying $60 for a game unless I really want it. I usually pay $40 or lower for new games. I think $20-$30 is the perfect price for games. whitetiger3521
Agreed
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JiveT

Well, since getting my 360 I've been renting games versus buying em at blockbuster. Something which I haven't done in five or six years due to the fact that I was younger and couldn't even afford a fifty dollar title.soulsofblayck

I've been considering doing that but I like owning the games. The new rental services are pretty nifty though.