3 years is NOT enough to age a game by 20%

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_hitman_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_hitman_guy
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

My prime example is Halo 2 (xbox version in 2004 got ~95%, pc version in 2007 got ~75%,) but there many more examples. I don't want to start a war - Halo is just an example.

Reviews like GameSpot mysteriously lower the gameplay AND the sound AND the value of the game, although these components age very slowly.

And graphics simply make the game easier to take and more believable in terms of visual presentation. The very cinematic scenes in Final Fantasy VII or the highly cinematic reactor scene in Half-Life 1 used very basic graphics; still, their prenentation was effective.

I would say that a game ages every year by about 1%, thus Doom today would get ~80% today if it got 95% in its day. RPG's and RTS games age by just a fraction of a %.

akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts
what in the heck are you ranting about?
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
but when they reviewed Halo 2...they had just come off a couple weeks of playing the Halo 3 beta :)
mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts
Meh I STRONGLY disagree. 1% a year? No way. With the way developers are pumping out newer and better games, no way. Sure, some games like Halo 2 should hold their value a bit longer than they rated the PC version (since it wasn't ever the graphics that made it such a huge success anyways), but for the most part games get outdated quicker than that imo.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Halo 2 needing Vista but not for any real reason could be a factor in the low reviews. The price of a game is often taken into account and if you have to buy a new operating system to play a game with worse graphics then the average game in it's genre, then it's not going to sit well with reviewers.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Its not just the age of the game, its the platform standards as well.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

You apparently didn't read the review.

The thought the online was unbalanced and it didn't hold up nearly as well on the PC platform as it did on the Xbox.

Basically, the Xbox score was inflated because of "limited competition," lowered expectations and an impressive graphics engine that really wasn't challenged by anything else on the Xbox.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
It's not only aging and platform standards, it's also how much things suit a platform. The different actions in halo 2 are fine tuned for the xbox controller just as the hitboxes and other gameplay. A kb/m is just so different that it will impact it. And then there's the personal preferences of the reviewer and all...
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Redfingers

It's not only aging and platform standards, it's also how much things suit a platform. The different actions in halo 2 are fine tuned for the xbox controller just as the hitboxes and other gameplay. A kb/m is just so different that it will impact it. And then there's the personal preferences of the reviewer and all... 11Marcel

At Gamespot they actually said that you can use the Xbox 360 controller. You can use that or KB/M. So hitboxes and other gameplay aren't the issue. The issue, they said, was when playing online, when the 360 controller autoaim would kill balance versus KB/M.

Singleplayer is pretty much a go either way, since you can play the whole game through on 360 pad no problem.

Avatar image for theheavydrinker
theheavydrinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 theheavydrinker
Member since 2004 • 1524 Posts
Halo2(PC) was rated against other PC shooters- thus getting the mediocre score it deserved on that platform.
x_boyfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 x_boyfriend
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

I agree with your rant, though I've no idea where the hell you got those numbers from. In any case, that's why Gamespot revised the review system. Breaking a game's quality down into numbers is just absurd. To be honest, I think Halo 2 (PC) deserved a 8.0. A Jesus load of content would've made it a 9.0.

I just got my hands on it and I'm having a blast. At first I was about to throw up when I saw the graphics. But I felt the same way about Halo CE. But as I eased my way into the campaign, I was thrilled with the gameplay Halo 2 has been famous for.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
Halo 2 is OLD...off course compared to several superior games on the pc or coming to pc its only natural it gets a lower score...not only that Halo 2 was massively overrated...
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redfingers

I agree with your rant, though I've no idea where the hell you got those numbers from. In any case, that's why Gamespot revised the review system. Breaking a game's quality down into numbers is just absurd. To be honest, I think Halo 2 (PC) deserved a 8.0. A Jesus load of content would've made it a 9.0.

I just got my hands on it and I'm having a blast. At first I was about to throw up when I saw the graphics. But I felt the same way about Halo CE. But as I eased my way into the campaign, I was thrilled with the gameplay Halo 2 has been famous for.

x_boyfriend

They explained exactly why they gave it a 7.0, and it's not entirely because of graphics or singleplayer.

It's because they decided the boss battles and story were bad and there was too much repetition in the environment, I think.

I played Halo CE recently for PC and it was just awful. Like, seriously, it was not good. The graphics, the gameplay, the AI, physics, everything.

x-V1CTOR-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 x-V1CTOR-x
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts
Halo 2 sucked overall Pc rating was fine. xbox version was overrating, i would give it a 8.5
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts
thus proving what a lot of us said. halo 2 sucked! look at res 4 it comes out on the wii and it still gets respectable scores. because it is a great game. look at games coming out on the wii's virtual console and the 360's arcade. classics that score great because they are a great game. halo 2 sucked. i have no clue how it scored so high. and when it comes to pc shooters halo 1 2 3 none of them can touch the pc's shooter library. so the score on pc makes total sense.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
A lack of balance between the controller options in multiplayer, requiring Vista, and a lack of co-op might have contributed to Halo 2's lowered score.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TyrantDragon55
[QUOTE="x_boyfriend"]

Redfingers

They explained exactly why they gave it a 7.0, and it's not entirely because of graphics or singleplayer.

It's because they decided the boss battles and story were bad and there was too much repetition in the environment, I think.

I played Halo CE recently for PC and it was just awful. Like, seriously, it was not good. The graphics, the gameplay, the AI, physics, everything.

It's a 6 year old game...

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

The thought the online was unbalanced and it didn't hold up nearly as well on the PC platform as it did on the Xbox.

Basically, the Xbox score was inflated because of "limited competition," lowered expectations and an impressive graphics engine that really wasn't challenged by anything else on the Xbox.

Redfingers

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but did you just say that there were low expectations for Halo 2 and that it was the best looking game on the xbox?

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TyrantDragon55

Redfingers

So that's why it beat UT2004 for best multiplayer game of 2004.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I don't know enough to make a judgement on this one, maybe if we start out with console to PC ports that scored well it would help. So can anyone name a console to Pc port that did well?
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

A lack of balance between the controller options in multiplayer, requiring Vista, and a lack of co-op might have contributed to Halo 2's lowered score.TyrantDragon55

If people are only just now playing it than they missed out on the whole Halo2 phenomenon anyway so they deserve the game they get,

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts
3 years is more then enough. For instance, GeoW came out last year. Wait another 2 years and release it for the PC with no major changes. Oh, and require the consumer to buy a new OS like they did with Halo 2 on the PC. Still think the score won't drop that much?
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

1. It's TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE REVIEW. I don't know why so many people get off comparing reviews, unless ones a 6 and ones a 9 (significant difference) there is the reviewers specific view that can alter the score. It's not a science.

2. Halo 2 is a mediocre shooter (at best) that flurished on the Xbox because it's being compared to other games on the xbox. When Halo 2 is released on PC (the home of the most technologically advanced, artfully designed, all around BEST FPS's on the market) it has different games to be considered among. Halo 2 does not hold a candle to most PC shooters, and it was lucky to get a score as high as it did.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

1. It's TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE REVIEW. I don't know why so many people get off comparing reviews, unless ones a 6 and ones a 9 (significant difference) there is the reviewers specific view that can alter the score. It's not a science.

2. Halo 2 is a mediocre shooter (at best) that flurished on the Xbox because it's being compared to other games on the xbox. When Halo 2 is released on PC (the home of the most technologically advanced, artfully designed, all around BEST FPS's on the market) it has different games to be considered among. Halo 2 does not hold a candle to most PC shooters, and it was lucky to get a score as high as it did.

TacoJelly

I completely disagree with that. Halo 2 could not "handle" the PC shooters because it was a direct port of a 3 year old xbox game with NO CHANGES at all.

If halo 2 is a mediocre shooter than why did it get Best Multiplayer shooter over UT2004 which was on the home of the most technologically advanced fps market?

the_hitman_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_hitman_guy
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

[QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"]A lack of balance between the controller options in multiplayer, requiring Vista, and a lack of co-op might have contributed to Halo 2's lowered score.MentatAssassin

If people are only just now playing it than they missed out on the whole Halo2 phenomenon anyway so they deserve the game they get,

What was the whole "halo2" phenomenon? A massive over-rating of an average game? Ha! I'd rather not be part of that.

TacoJelly

I was referring to the GameRankings AVERAGES of the reviews of many people.

[QUOTE="TacoJelly"]

II-FBIsniper-II

I completely disagree with that. Halo 2 could not "handle" the PC shooters because it was a direct port of a 3 year old xbox game with NO CHANGES at all.

Did it hold a candle to the great PC shooters of 2004 like Half-Life 2 and FarCry? (Since 2004, perhaps the onlyPC shooter thatrivals these two is F.E.A.R.)