2d is coming back ! Is anyone else excited for the new 2d sonic ?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drakecool1
Member since 2009 • 1145 Posts

FINALLY sonic is coming back to his routes I love 2d gaming since the snes days and am loving all the recent 2d offerings available new super mario wii, Little Big Planet, Wario, metroid other M.

I am glad that 2d is making a little come back

and now that new super mario wii made 10 million I hope that companies will see that 2d is wanted

I can't wait for sonic and hope they bring Castlevania in 2d like symphony of the night

my question is what you all think of sonic going back to 2d and what games would you like to see in 2d graphics ?

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

That sreenshot does look pretty sweet!!

I always love a good 2D game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I'd be excited if Sonic Team's current staff members were thrown into the phantom zone first.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

make it happen sega

Panosola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Panosola
Member since 2006 • 2150 Posts
For what console is that game..??I t look very good for 2D game.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

That sreenshot does look pretty sweet!!

I always love a good 2D game.

gregbmil

thats some fan art. but i cant wait for Needlemouse. anybody know if its gonna be actual 2-D hand drawn graphics or 2.5 D? the fact that you only play as Sonic has definately got me interested.

tHeFuTuReHeAd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tHeFuTuReHeAd
Member since 2006 • 383 Posts

I might get excited when when we know some more about it, a lot more, unfortunately there's still plenty of time for Sega to ruin it.

also, that's a piece of fan art, not an official screenshot.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I can't wait for sonic and hope they bring Castlevania in 2d like symphony of the night

drakecool1

Hi!

Yo!

What's up?

I'M NEW!

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
Bring Castlevania back to 2D? Where have you been?
mr-krinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 mr-krinkles
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts

I'd like to say yes, but Sega is phail I'm sorry.

If it gets good reviews though I'd pick it in no time ma****a.

If those pics are screenshots, it does have a really promising look w/ cool arstyle. Let's see how it turns out!

bubble-wrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 bubble-wrap
Member since 2005 • 492 Posts

I hope the game turns out to be good but I refuse to get excited for a sonic game again.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

I really wouldn't hold my breath guys. This happens every year:

1. A new Sonic is announced.

2. Everyone hypes it to kingdom come.

3. It's released and sucks.

4. People claim they are done with Sonic.

5. Repeat

6. ??????

7. ??????

8. When the **** do I profit?

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Not excited at all until I see some gameplay.

Being in 3D isn't what made recent Sonic games a disappointment compared to the older ones. It's the entire game-design being based around "Run fast=Fun" without putting any challenging platforming or obstacles or enemies. It's entirely possible Project Needlemouse could be that in 2D.

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Theguy56
Member since 2003 • 1379 Posts

Being in 3D isn't what made recent Sonic games a disappointment compared to the older ones. It's the entire game-design being based around "Run fast=Fun" without putting any challenging platforming or obstacles or enemies. It's entirely possible Project Needlemouse could be that in 2D.

MetroidPrimePwn
The 3D games are terrible except for MAYBE Sonic Adventure 1. They ruined him the moment they took him out of Mobius and put him in the human world. And those of you who keep posting the Sonic Cycle or whatever that crap is, you're just like a broken record.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

drakecool1

... Lol. Theyve made like 1000 of those in the past few years

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

Theguy56

The 3D games are terrible except for MAYBE Sonic Adventure 1. They ruined him the moment they took him out of Mobius and put him in the human world. And those of you who keep posting the Sonic Cycle or whatever that crap is, you're just like a broken record.

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

If its as good as Sonic1, 2 and 3 im sold.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="drakecool1"]

VendettaRed07

... Lol. Theyve made like 1000 of those in the past few years

Seriously lol. They've been copy/pasting 2D Castlevanias for a while now, so much that the new 3D one feels original.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 II_Seraphim_II

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

ActicEdge

The real sad thing is that people can't break out of the cycle. Like abused spouses, the love the other party so much, the want to believe he can change. How many times does Sonic have to smack you upside the head before you realize he ain't gonna change!? GS needs to hold an intervention.

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Theguy56

[QUOTE="Theguy56"][QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

ActicEdge

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

Too bad the Cycle is invalid because they got rid of all "Sonic's friends" :P

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

II_Seraphim_II

The real sad thing is that people can't break out of the cycle. Like abused spouses, the love the other party so much, the want to believe he can change. How many times does Sonic have to smack you upside the head before you realize he ain't gonna change!? GS needs to hold an intervention.

Sonic 06 was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It was just so unbelievably bad that words cannot describe just how awful that game was. From terrible gameplay to beastiality, Sonic 06 tops them all.

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theguy56

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

II_Seraphim_II

Because unless someone is blind, they can see that they're trying this time, making fun of their own creations and true sonic fans realise what that concept art would lead to. Yes, I would hope since he was my childhood after all.
rpgNerd321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 rpgNerd321
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

You cant beat the old school game types

Enchantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Enchantis
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

Theguy56

I disagree. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are both solid Sonic games. But everything beyond those two in 3-D paled in comparison to the SA installments. I personally would much rather have a great 3-D Sonic over a 2-D one--but i'm still fond of the 2-D style either way. I just hope they don't plan to put an end to the 3-D attempts all together--if this ends up being a total success.
Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Theguy56
[QUOTE="Theguy56"][QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

Enchantis

I disagree. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are both solid Sonic games. But everything beyond those two in 3-D paled in comparison to the SA installments. I personally would much rather have a great 3-D Sonic over a 2-D one--but i'm still fond of the 2-D style either way. I just hope they don't plan to put an end to the 3-D attempts all together--if this ends up being a total success.

Sonic Adventure 2 introduced the trend that led to his downfall. The extra characters and not to mention the bad music. The 2D Sonics and 3D Sonics have no relation whatsoever and that doesn't make sense. Now if they made a 3D Sonic that's based on his homeworld then maybe I'll accept them.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renegade_Fury

Sonic Adventure 2 introduced the trend that led to his downfall. The extra characters and not to mention the bad music. The 2D Sonics and 3D Sonics have no relation whatsoever and that doesn't make sense. Now if they made a 3D Sonic that's based on his homeworld then maybe I'll accept them.Theguy56
Sonic's homeworld has always been earth. Mobius is a made up concept geared towards Americans.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Sega has already shown that they don't understand what made the 4 original Sonic games so good. I predict it will be bland and follow the DS game's "hold right and win" strategy.
Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Theguy56
[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"][QUOTE="Theguy56"][QUOTE="Enchantis"] Sonic's homeworld has always been earth. Mobius is a made up concept geared towards Americans.

Mobius is a floating island located on Earth [QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"][QUOTE="Theguy56"][QUOTE="Enchantis"] Sonic Adventure 2 introduced the trend that led to his downfall. The extra characters and not to mention the bad music. The 2D Sonics and 3D Sonics have no relation whatsoever and that doesn't make sense. Now if they made a 3D Sonic that's based on his homeworld then maybe I'll accept them.

Sonic's homeworld has always been earth. Mobius is a made up concept geared towards Americans.

That's true but Sonic lived among animals and that's why his basic storylines were always about saving animals from badniks. The places in the old Sonic games didn't even look like Earth. Then suddenly he's thrown in a human city out of all places.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

I really wouldn't hold my breath guys. This happens every year:

1. A new Sonic is announced.

2. Everyone hypes it to kingdom come.

3. It's released and sucks.

4. People claim they are done with Sonic.

5. Repeat

6. ??????

7. ??????

8. When the **** do I profit?

...Step 3 - Profit
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renegade_Fury

That's true but Sonic lived among animals and that's why his basic storylines were always about saving animals from badniks. The places in the old Sonic games didn't even look like Earth. Then suddenly he's thrown in a human city out of all places.Theguy56
No, I completely get what you're saying. I wish they went back down that route as well, but Sonic Team's track record since Sonic 3 and Knuckles speaks for itself.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I no longer get excited for Sonic games... it just ends up hurting me every time.
agesyrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 agesyrh
Member since 2010 • 164 Posts
I do not care for sonic story or any crap like that.Just want a sequel to unleashed with more daytime levels, i do not care if they have the crappy nighttime levels since i can skip them with a save. Sonic unleashed is the best sonic game in my opinion thanks to the awesome daytime levels,that mixed the best of 2d and 3d sonic almost perfectly and great controls, second best is the sonic 2,primarily,because of the level design,challenge and boss fights and my third favourite is sonic heroes,because of the innovative,refreshing and revolutionary gameplay.
drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 drakecool1

[QUOTE="drakecool1"]

LegatoSkyheart

Hi!

Yo!

What's up?

I'M NEW!

im not talking about handheld I mean on playstation, wii, 360

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Theguy56
I no longer get excited for Sonic games... it just ends up hurting me every time.carljohnson3456
Maybe this time it'll hurt you for being so good :P . As big of a Classic Sonic fan I am, I still have to be cautious as this is basically my last hope. In the event of them screwing this up well...
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LegatoSkyheart

Oh yeah and Sonic didn't indicate that 2D is making a Come back.

here are the list of SOME 2D games that are already out this Gen.

Street Fighter HD Remix *

BlazBlue *

KOF XII *

Megaman 9 *

Contra Rebirth *

Gradius Rebirth*

Metal Slug 7*

Castlevania Rebirth*

Final Fantasy 4: The After Years*

New Super Mario Bros. DS & Wii**

Wario Land Shake It!*

Muramasa The Demon Blade*

Super Smash Bros. Brawl**

A Boy and His Blob*

The Castlevania DS games I have mentioned in my Last post*

Kirby DS games*

Starfy*

Contra 4*

Drawn to Life 1 & 2*

Shadow Complex**

Lost Winds 1 & 2**

Little Big Planet PS3 and PSP**

Braid*

Mighty Flip Champs*

Domo DSi Games*

Rayman DSi*

and I think we got the Picture

and of course upcoming games like

Rocket Knight HD**

Sonic(?)

Earthworm Jim Remake*

Super Meat Boy*

Megaman 10*

* Sprites

** 2.5d

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

Theguy56

Because unless someone is blind, they can see that they're trying this time, making fun of their own creations and true sonic fans realise what that concept art would lead to. Yes, I would hope since he was my childhood after all.

That's what people say everytime. This time things will be different. This time they are taking it seriously. Remember when the Sonic game with some 2D like areas was announced and everyone said "this time it's gonna be different!"? Yeah, well it wasn't different. (I can't remember which one it was, but it was for PS3/X360). And then when that Werehog trash was announced and people claimed "this time it will be different!" and then that one where Sonic was holding the sword? Basically, people keep claiming THIS time is the magical time. The only blind people are the people who actually believe that Team Sonic has an ounce of talent in them. They probably couldn't even make a decent copy/paste job if they tried.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I love 2D. Not so much Sonic.
agesyrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 agesyrh
Member since 2010 • 164 Posts

BlazBlue *

KOF XII *

Megaman 9 *

Contra Rebirth *

Gradius Rebirth*

Metal Slug 7*

Castlevania Rebirth*

New Super Mario Bros. DS & Wii**

Wario Land Shake It!*

Super Smash Bros. Brawl**

A Boy and His Blob*

The Castlevania DS games I have mentioned in my Last post*

Kirby DS games*

Starfy*

Contra 4*

Drawn to Life 1 & 2*

Shadow Complex**

Lost Winds 1 & 2**

Little Big Planet PS3 and PSP**

Braid*

Mighty Flip Champs*

Domo DSi Games*

Rayman DSi*

Rocket Knight HD**

Sonic(?)

Earthworm Jim Remake*

Super Meat Boy*

Megaman 10*

* Sprites

** 2.5d

LegatoSkyheart

2.5d=/=2d and lol at the handheld games...

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Theguy56

[QUOTE="Theguy56"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] The real sad thing is that people can't break out of the cycle. Like abused spouses, the love the other party so much, the want to believe he can change. How many times does Sonic have to smack you upside the head before you realize he ain't gonna change!? GS needs to hold an intervention.

II_Seraphim_II

That's what someone say everytime. This time things will be different. This time they are taking it seriously. Remember when the Sonic game with some 2D like areas was announced and everyone said "this time it's gonna be different!"? Yeah, well it wasn't different. (I can't remember which one it was, but it was for PS3/X360). And then when that Werehog trash was announced and people claimed "this time it will be different!" and then that one where Sonic was holding the sword? Basically, people keep claiming THIS time is the magical time. The only blind people are the people who actually believe that Team Sonic has an ounce of talent in them. They probably couldn't even make a decent copy/paste job if they tried.

Sonic Team changes everytime. Besides, they said there will be no Werehog or any of his other stunts in this.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/15/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-finale-and-concept-art/

They're even bragging about having no characters, I never even once said "this time will be different" before. This is the first time that it seems to be different.

It isn't fair to say no one can ever redeem themselves.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#41 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It's honestly really had to get excited about a new sonic at this point. Until sega announces that it's going to focus on no more than the big 4 characters (Sonic, tales, knuckles and robotnik,) and not feuture any unwanted, pointless modes, (werehog, any one?) I'm avoiding this one.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LegatoSkyheart

BlazBlue *

KOF XII *

Megaman 9 *

Contra Rebirth *

Gradius Rebirth*

Castlevania Rebirth*

Wario Land Shake It!*

A Boy and His Blob*

Drawn to Life 2

Braid

CastleCrashers

Earthworm Jim Remake*

Super Meat Boy*

Megaman 10*

* Sprites

LegatoSkyheart

added one more too.

There's the Sprite 2D games on CONSOLES.

lol

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Theguy56

It's honestly really had to get excited about a new sonic at this point. Until sega announces that it's going to focus on no more than the big 4 characters (Sonic, tales, knuckles and robotnik,) and not feuture any unwanted, pointless modes, (werehog, any one?) I'm avoiding this one.

BuryMe
They just said it's only Sonic, playable or otherwise.
jackelzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 jackelzx
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts

Thank the lord it took team sonic ages to get it in their heads, that the 2d games where miles better!!

tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

im not a huge Sonic fan but im just glad to see another 2-D game. even tho id be shocked if they actually used sprites for the game hate to say it. as much as id love to see Sonic in fully HD 2-D glory im expecting to see 2.5-D. which might not bee a bad thing if they can get the graphics to be Pixarish. at least as good as the recent Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3.

drakecool1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drakecool1

Thank the lord it took team sonic ages to get it in their heads, that the 2d games where miles better!!

jackelzx

agreedI still play the original sonic on my cell phone on the way to work.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#47 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Did I hear Sonic Cycle?

Renegade_Fury

Sonic 06 was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It was just so unbelievably bad that words cannot describe just how awful that game was. From terrible gameplay to beastiality, Sonic 06 tops them all.

Hmm...since you say that about Sonic 06,I would like to know why. I mean,I never played the game myself,but it seemed very similar to SA and SA2,wich were pretty decent games.

Was it the hub level?Or something else?

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Theguy56

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] The real sad thing is that people can't break out of the cycle. Like abused spouses, the love the other party so much, the want to believe he can change. How many times does Sonic have to smack you upside the head before you realize he ain't gonna change!? GS needs to hold an intervention.

Arach666

Hmm...since you say that about Sonic 06,I would like to know why. I mean,I never played the game myself,but it seemed very similar to SA and SA2,wich were pretty decent games.

Was it the hub level?Or something else?

Hub levels Many MANY bugs and glitches...you would sometimes just go through walls or the ground and die and a kind of disturbing story involving a certain hedgehog and princess...
NTSC-U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NTSC-U
Member since 2008 • 490 Posts

Those screens look nice....

i wouldn't mind remakes of sonic 1 - 3(knuckles edition too) on this gen, like mario bros wii.

13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 13C
Member since 2010 • 1024 Posts

Interesting. Is in 3d with a side view like lbp or is in completely 2d. Or is it mixed.