10 things Nintendo needs to fix before taking on Apple (article link)

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-9995_7-10003395.html?tag=mncol;txt

Better words of wisdom were never spoken!

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amaneuvering

I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.Thunderdrone

So I take it you've not really been paying much attention to what is actually going on in the videogame and home/mobile entertainment industries then.

Apple is now a legitimate and serious competitor to Nintendo in the videogame/entertainment space, despite what some of the less informed and less observant people might think, and if Nintendo doesn't respond appropriately it's going to cost them...

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.amaneuvering

So I take it you've not really been paying much attention to what is actually going on in the videogame and home/mobile entertainment industries then.

Apple is now a legitimate and serious competitor to Nintendo in the videogame/entertainment space, despite what some of the less informed and less observant people might think, and if Nintendo doesn't respond appropriately it's going to cost them...

Yawnn... Phones are now concidered as legitimate gaming platforms? Consoles and phones dont really compare or even less compete. Same applies to handhelds and phones.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
They should keep that in mind just in case they decide to take on Apple.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.amaneuvering

I'm not discrediting Apples attempts in the videogame scene, but the title of this article makes no sense.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.Pessu

Yawnn... Phones are now concidered as legitimate gaming platforms? Consoles and phones dont really compare or even less compete.

Yes, they are.

Yes, they do.

IGN has a section for iPhone games.

Christ, Gamespot has a fully dedicated tab/section for iPhone games (as much as any other "gaming" platform).

All the major gaming sites cover iPhone games and now iPad platforms and games in some capacity.

All the major games companies and publishers are developing iPhone games.

All the major entertainment sites have sections on iPhone and it's games.

There have been countless articles about Apple coming into the game space with iPhone and iPad.

Apple now directly compare their game sales to those of Sony's and Nintendo's handhelds.

There have even been comments from Iwata directly that Nintendo needs to take Apple as a serious threat in the future, above the likes of Sony.

There's even an iPhone section in frikin System Wars for God's sake!

When are you actually going to open you eyes and see what's blatantly going on in front of you?

What is it going to take for people like you to finally get it?

Wake up and smell the coffee! (see below)

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amaneuvering
don't feed the trolls, this guy posts a thread every second day claiming how Ninty needs to start taking Apple "serious", move along folks - nothing to see here.spence1988
Because you guys still don't seem to get it. Once you finally wake up and smell the coffee I'll stop brewing a fresh pot.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
don't feed the trolls, this guy posts a thread every second day claiming how Ninty needs to start taking Apple "serious", move along folks - nothing to see here.spence1988
I know. Reminds me of that ghost guy. I thought we had dealt with it already.
gurulag10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gurulag10
Member since 2009 • 339 Posts

[QUOTE="spence1988"]don't feed the trolls, this guy posts a thread every second day claiming how Ninty needs to start taking Apple "serious", move along folks - nothing to see here.amaneuvering
Because you guys still don't seem to get it. Once you finally wake up and smell the coffee I'll stop brewing a fresh pot.

Oh god enough already. When apple gets to the level of sales of gaming devices that nintendo has then you can talk. But until then apple aint nothing in the gaming market to come close to nintendo.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="spence1988"]don't feed the trolls, this guy posts a thread every second day claiming how Ninty needs to start taking Apple "serious", move along folks - nothing to see here.SaltyMeatballs
I know. Reminds me of that ghost guy. I thought we had dealt with it already.

I'm not trolling.

I'm making a legitimate point.

You guys don't want to believe the truth so I'm just providing each new snippet of evidence as it appears and reiterating my point.

Trolling is completely different.

I'm not posting to get a rise from any of you but to inform you of something you are obviously not yet aware of or willing to accept.

I'm simply posting because you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

well finally some competition, nintendo has got lazy.

they have gotten bored of playing with sony and microsoft

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="spence1988"]don't feed the trolls, this guy posts a thread every second day claiming how Ninty needs to start taking Apple "serious", move along folks - nothing to see here.gurulag10

Oh god enough already. When apple gets to the level of sales of gaming devices that nintendo has then you can talk. But until then it apple aint nothing in the gaming market to come close to nintendo.

Over 80 million iPod Touch and iPhones isn't at the level or sales of Nintendo devices?

It's more than the Wii has sold, and it's also far beyond the likes of PSP yet you no doubt consider the PSP a legitimate contender to Nintendo in the games space.

Wake up.

spence1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spence1988
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
Seriously, when Apple gets serious about gaming, and I mean REALLY serious like getting a booth at E3 and introducing a gaming-specific platform of some kind, then they will be considered competition. Right now, their focus isn't on gaming enough to be taken as serious as Ninty, Sony or Microsoft.
pspfanboy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pspfanboy6
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts

hardcore gamers always seem to criticize Nintendo lol. Nintendo is relatively small company and they have survived this long because they kept it simple and focused on games.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
stopped reading at #2, wii allows 32GB of storage iirc possibly even 64
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

"looks around"...."reads forums"..."realizes pretty much every thread is worthless"..."clicks on bookmarks"..."moves on to something else"...Gaming on a phone or Ipad or "I"anything will never kill Nin or SOny or MS EVER..

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

Nintendo is relatively small companypspfanboy6

:lol: you're koking right?

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

[QUOTE="Pessu"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

amaneuvering

Yawnn... Phones are now concidered as legitimate gaming platforms? Consoles and phones dont really compare or even less compete.

Yes, they are.

Yes, they do.

Christ, Gamespot has a fully dedicated tab/section for iPhone games (as much as any other "gaming" platform).

All the major gaming sites cover iPhone games and now iPad platforms and games in some capacity.

There have been countless articles about Apple coming into the game space with iPhone and iPad.

Apple now directly compare their game sales to those of Sony's and Nintendo's handhelds.

There have even been comments from Iwata directly that Nintendo needs to take Apple as a serious threat in the future, above the likes of Sony.

When are you actually going to open you eyes and see what's blatantly going on in front of you?

I'm with you on this one TC,

that Apple is inadvertently a contender now in the Video games industry. whether fanboys here like it or not.

Remember the mentatility here that many don't even consider or deny the Wii as a 'proper' gaming console because it has an interface and game content that does not appeal to hardcore gamers.

They ignore the fact that many major sites consider it now a legitimate gaming platform i.e Gamefaqs, Gamespot, IGN.

Apple seems to making steps towards consolidating video games on Apple via their new "Live" service dedicated to things games, and with the launch of Steam on the Mac of all places before even substantial support from Valve to the PS3 is commited.

Now Fanboy scan fear, loathe, hate and state their own personal opinions all all they want but it doesn't take away the fact that the games market keeps expanding on Apple via Itunes- Ipod/Iphone and now Ipad/Mac and develop and support from major publishers hasn't stopped.

Before the expected usual response of "Ipad sucks!", "Ipad is only a portable", "I prefer PSPs control scheme is waayy superior to the Ipad" this will not offset the expected sales and potential of Ipads, Itunes game market. Fanboys can only talk and there is nothing they can do about it.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thunderdrone

The future is clearly about mutli-media lifestyle devices that also happen to seriously embrace gaming, like the iPhone (and the iPad to some extent too), that go far beyond your typical videogames device both in terms of hardware/software/services and also the much broader spectrum of people it's ultimatley going to appeal and sell to in the end.

How closed do your eyes have to be to not see what's coming...

amaneuvering

So, do we defeat Skynet?

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamedude234

[QUOTE="gurulag10"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"] Because you guys still don't seem to get it. Once you finally wake up and smell the coffee I'll stop brewing a fresh pot.amaneuvering

Oh god enough already. When apple gets to the level of sales of gaming devices that nintendo has then you can talk. But until then it apple aint nothing in the gaming market to come close to nintendo.

Over 80 million iPod Touch and iPhones isn't at the level or sales of Nintendo devices?

thats actually quite low, considering that the ipod has more functions than the DS and its still 45 million behind.

and all those people bought an ipod for gaming amirite? i know i didn't.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 amaneuvering

hardcore gamers always seem to criticize Nintendo lol. Nintendo is relatively small company and they have survived this long because they kept it simple and focused on games.

pspfanboy6
Wrong but... Well just wrong to be honest.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Sooo, the majority of the gaming demographic?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="gurulag10"] Oh god enough already. When apple gets to the level of sales of gaming devices that nintendo has then you can talk. But until then it apple aint nothing in the gaming market to come close to nintendo.

gamedude234

thats actually quite low, considering that the ipod has more functions than the DS and its still 45 million behind.

Sure that's quite low.

:roll:

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]I didnt know nintendo was entering the phone, mp3 player and elite/hip PC market.Twin-Blade

Sooo, the majority of the gaming demographic?

Well there's certainly a LOT of those "less informed and less observant people" out there when it comes to this whole situation, and ceratinly in system wars, for sure ...

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamedude234

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

amaneuvering

Sure that's quite low.

for every ipod sold, 2 dses are sold.

read my post and learn why it is quite low

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

I don't understand why Nintendo wants to compete in all that app crap...I don't mean downloadable games, that makes sense. But stuff like internet browsing and mp3 players...they're a gaming company. Gaming is not apple's main concern

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15599 Posts

You know if anything it's Apple trying to take on Nintendo, not the other way around. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have to worry about it until Apple can license something that isn't equivalent to flash games and bad ports.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Twin-Blade

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Sure that's quite low.

amaneuvering

How many NES, Master System, Megadrive, SNES, Game Boy Advance, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, GC, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP machines have been sold again?

You could try getting some perspective at least.

I dunno. The way I see it is... Well, if they were to put average game apps into a popular brand of toaster that sells millions, & the new toaster sold millions, you can't say it's a competitive gaming platform. People bought the toaster, because they needed a toaster. It just happens to serve as a decent gaming platform. Plenty of games get sold because it's gimmicky & people want something to do while their toast is cooking, but the games aren't close to the quality on the PSP or DS.

People buy Iphones for the phone, & Ipods for the MP4 player. My parents own Iphones, & haven't bought a thing on it, not gaming related anyway. My cousin owns an Ipod touch, & got Nazi Zombies for free, but barely plays it, though he loves the console version. Yay, they can play Plants Vs. Zombies, but if given the choice, why would I play it on the Iphone/Ipod Touch if I can play it on my PC.

Sure, it may be a lucrative venture for small indie developers, but it isn't a competitive gaming platform for quality titles.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 amaneuvering

I don't understand why Nintendo wants to compete in all that app crap...I don't mean downloadable games, that makes sense. But stuff like internet browsing and mp3 players...they're a gaming company. Gaming is not apple's main concern

TalesofRaGnArOk
I really don't think they have a choice at this stage. If Nintendo wants to stay in the videogames business and continue to be a serious player that's just what they have to do. Games are no longer this little niche for geeks. They are part of the whole lifestyle/entertainment products movement and that means you have to be involved in more than just games to compete in this day and age. That's why Apple is such a threat because right now they are in a position to deliver lifestyle products that also happen to be serious games machines more so than pretty much any company in history imo.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 amaneuvering

You know if anything it's Apple trying to take on Nintendo, not the other way around. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't have to worry about it until Apple can license something that isn't equivalent to flash games and bad ports.

Vaasman
I agree with the first part of your post but not the second part.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

amaneuvering

Well ok what amazing titles have come out recently on the Iphone or Ipad that compete with the DS lineup? How about games on the MAC OSthat compete with the Wii lineup?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="gamedude234"]

Twin-Blade

How many NES, Master System, Megadrive, SNES, Game Boy Advance, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, GC, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP machines have been sold again?

You could try getting some perspective at least.

I dunno. The way I see it is... Well, if they were to put average game apps into a popular brand of toaster that sells millions, & the new toaster sold millions, you can't say it's a competitive gaming platform. People bought the toaster, because they needed a toaster. It just happens to serve as a decent gaming platform. Plenty of games get sold because it's gimmicky & people want something to do while their toast is cooking, but the games aren't close to the quality on the PSP or DS.

People buy Iphones for the phone, & Ipods for the MP4 player. My parents own Iphones, & haven't bought a thing on it, not gaming related anyway. My cousin owns an Ipod touch, & got Nazi Zombies for free, but barely plays it, though he loves the console version. Yay, they can play Plants Vs. Zombies, but if given the choice, why would I play it on the Iphone/Ipod Touch if I can play it on my PC.

Sure, it may be a lucrative venture for small indie developers, but it isn't a competitive gaming platform for quality titles.

Yes but what you are saying is just gibberish and not realistic (toasters that play games), for the foreseeable future anyway, but the situation with Apple is very real and happening right now as I type.

I'm buying an iPhone for the first time ever (once the new model comes out) because it does all the things you mentioned but also because for the first time there's actually a lifestyle entertainment device, in this case an iPhone, that I can actually take seriously as a games device too.

I'm even about to release a game on the platform in the not too distant future and I never thought I'd be saying something like that a handful of years back.

The impact games are having on something like the iPhone is much bigger than you realize and just as relevant as it's MP3 or movie playback functionality at this stage imo.

People really need to stop underestimating the iPhone as a serious videogames platform.

Soon enough you will all see the truth anyway I suspect...

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

Well ok what amazing titles have come out recently on the Iphone or Ipad that compete with the DS lineup? How about games on the MAC OSthat compete with the Wii lineup?

For different reasons:

Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars.

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

To name a few off the top of my head.

I dunno

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/10-best-iphone-games-for-hardcore-gamers-599016

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/01/ten-iphone-game/

The machine is just early days in terms of games and more and more huge games companies and publishers are jumping on board every day and the games are just getting better and better...

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

amaneuvering

Name some big production games that can even compete with NDS.

Apple is not yet competitive in the gaming market. Just about every single game on their devices are quick play games that you pick up then forget later on.

If anything the title of this thread should be switched to Apple needing to fix many things to take on Nintendo.

I always welcome competition because it usually leads to innovation and better prices but Apple seems far off from becoming well known for serious gaming.

They are known to release overly expensive products and have already failed hard when trying to enter the console market.

In order to compete they will need a lot of support from big name developers and they will need to have affordable hardware.

One of the big reasons they failed with their console is that it was too expensive.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Hakkai007

Apple is not yet competitive in the gaming market. Just about every single game on their devices are quick play games that you pick up then forget later on.

If anything the title of this thread should be switched to Apple needing to fix many things to take on Nintendo.

I always welcome competition because it usually leads to innovation and better prices but Apple seems far off from becoming well known for serious gaming.

They are known to release overly expensive products and have already failed hard when trying to enter the console market.

In order to compete they will need a lot of support from big name developers and they will need to have affordable hardware.

One of the big reasons they failed with their console is that it was too expensive.

For different reasons:

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

I dunno

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/10-best-iphone-games-for-hardcore-gamers-599016

The machine is just early days in terms of games and more and more huge games companies and publishers are jumping on board every day and the games are just getting better and better...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"] I agree with the first part of your post but not the second part.amaneuvering

For different reasons:

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

I dunno

Peggle, doodle jump, and pacman CE are amoung the best you could come up with to go against the DS lineup? In that case Nintendo has less to worry about than I thought.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Twin-Blade

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"] I agree with the first part of your post but not the second part.amaneuvering

For different reasons:

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

I dunno

I'm not saying it will never be a competitive gaming platform, but how can you be so confident with a lineup like that?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="pspfanboy6"]

Nintendo is relatively small companygamedude234

:lol: you're koking right?

Exactly. And it's this kind of nativity that I think it going on with "gamers" and the whole inability to see or accept that Apple is as a matter of fact a serious competitor in the games space now, that needs to be taken seriously, and if people can't quite see that yet then I think they will soon enough.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

The fact is, Apple doesnt need those big budget games you are all shouting for examples of to be taken seriously as competition in the gaming space.

TC has a very valid point, and you cannot simply ignore the fact that Apple is disrupting the industry, in a manner similar to the way Nintendo has done, and to the way that social-network gaming has begun to inform the digital distribution market.

So what if iDevices dont have triple A productions? The fact that the platform doesnt and still competes is what is important. Like the Wii and DS, but to a much greater extent, these pieces of technology prove that the industry has been heading in a closed direction for a long time now, and that perhaps maybe that direction isnt the best thing, for anyone but the niche market.

If people are happy picking up apps on their iPhones, then thats one less reason to buy a dedicated gaming machine like the DS and the Wii. Nintendo have every reason to feel threatened. They recognise disruption, and they fear it. They learnt from their mistake with Sony.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="Hakkai007"]

Twin-Blade

For different reasons:

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

I dunno

I'm not saying it will never be a competitive gaming platform, but how can you be so confident with a lineup like that?

It's early days.

It wasn't a dedicated games platform from day one.

Developers are still getting used to it and learning what works best on it just like the Wii/DS (if people can still use that one for Wii/DS I can sure as hell use it for iPhone/iPad).

Apple is improving the iPhone as a games playing device with every iteration (and there's also the iPad to consider now too because also part of Apple's assault on the videogames world).

More and more developers are jumping on board every day, and I'm talking about big players here and not just indy, and they are putting more and more resources behind iPhone/iPad games every day.

It's just going to get better and better.

Every day the iPhone exists it (and Apple) becomes a bigger and bigger threat to more "traditional" games companies like Nintendo (and Sony and Mircrosoft too).

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 amaneuvering

The fact is, Apple doesnt need those big budget games you are all shouting for examples of to be taken seriously as competition in the gaming space.

TC has a very valid point, and you cannot simply ignore the fact that Apple is disrupting the industry, in a manner similar to the way Nintendo has done, and to the way that social-network gaming has begun to inform the digital distribution market.

So what if iDevices dont have triple A productions? The fact that the platform doesnt and still competes is what is important. Like the Wii and DS, but to a much greater extent, these pieces of technology prove that the industry has been heading in a closed direction for a long time now, and that perhaps maybe that direction isnt the best thing, for anyone but the niche market.

If people are happy picking up apps on their iPhones, then thats one less reason to buy a dedicated gaming machine like the DS and the Wii. Nintendo have every reason to feel threatened. They recognise disruption, and they fear it. They learnt from their mistake with Sony.

eveileb-ekam
See, now here is someone who has their eyes open and who I wholeheartedly agree with.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]Well ok what amazing titles have come out recently on the Iphone or Ipad that compete with the DS lineup? How about games on the MAC OSthat compete with the Wii lineup?

Vaasman

For different reasons:

Doodle Jump

Pac Man CE

Need for Speed Shift

Peggle

I dunno

Peggle, doodle jump, and pacman CE are amoung the best you could come up with to go against the DS lineup? In that case Nintendo has less to worry about than I thought.

Comparison like this vastly misses the point. Its like saying: "Wii Sports is the best you could come up with to go against the Xbox lineup? In that case, Microsoft has less to worry about than I thought" A free pack in technical demo was all it took to propell Nintendo's machine to the forefront in the mainstream population's mind. Nintendo went from being hardly any competition at all, to being a serious threat once again. It is the same with Apple. If people are using the device to game, and they are whether they intended that for it or not, its one less reason to buy a DS for similar types of games. If Nintendo were to lose support from multiple demographics because those demographics preferred the price point, convenience and distribution methods of Apple's device, how can you not consider them a threat? Remember, the industry feeds off of expanded audience, mainstream and simple / arcade software. The same will easily hold true on the iPod / Pad.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Twin-Blade

eveileb-ekam

Whoa. I can see it now. This is perfect! Apple can have the shovelware, which will in turn might just force Nintendo to concentrate on getting more third party developers. Maybe we can go back to the N64 days. Apple have my support.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="Pessu"] Yawnn... Phones are now concidered as legitimate gaming platforms? Consoles and phones dont really compare or even less compete.AdmiralBison

Yes, they are.

Yes, they do.

I'm with you on this one TC,

that Apple is inadvertently a contender now in the Video games industry. whether fanboys here like it or not.

Remember the mentatility here that many don't even consider or deny the Wii as a 'proper' gaming console because it has an interface and game content that does not appeal to hardcore gamers.

They ignore the fact that many major sites consider it now a legitimate gaming platform i.e Gamefaqs, Gamespot, IGN.

Apple seems to making steps towards consolidating video games on Apple via their new "Live" service dedicated to things games, and with the launch of Steam on the Mac of all places before even substantial support from Valve to the PS3 is commited.

Now Fanboy scan fear, loathe, hate and state their own personal opinions all all they want but it doesn't take away the fact that the games market keeps expanding on Apple via Itunes- Ipod/Iphone and now Ipad/Mac and develop and support from major publishers hasn't stopped.

Before the expected usual response of "Ipad sucks!", "Ipad is only a portable", "I prefer PSPs control scheme is waayy superior to the Ipad" this will not offset the expected sales and potential of Ipads, Itunes game market. Fanboys can only talk and there is nothing they can do about it.

Another smart and observant person imo.