(10 at Gamespot) Official GTA thread - Keep it here or face SUSPENSION!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
[QUOTE="buuzer0"]

I :lol:'d at the "Doom Tree" shown on the previous page.

I'm still getting the 360 game though! ;) None of my friends have a PS3, and neither do I.

dhjohns

Most of my friends are on XBL as well. I am worried about these pop-in videos. I only hope it is all exaggerated.

just watch the GT or IGN 360 video reviews.. they should put your mind at ease. those other gifs are from neogaf, with a version running from a 360 HDD... i mean seriously. the HDD takes 10 seconds to load current player stats for NHL 08.. i'm sure it also has trouble pulling graphical assets with any speed :)

Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts

Soo...the PS3 runs @ 630p and the Xbox runs at 720p, PS3 has warmer colours but no AA and some framerate drops here and there. Very few pop ins for the PS3 while 360 has a bit more pop ins.

I was just on neogaf, and apparently that "tree of doom" is a glitch by the looks of it, because only dot50cal with his dev kit xbox and loaded the game on his HDD has been able to produce that, others can't seem to do the same. So I, in my opinion, have come to the conclusion that it is his xbox360 alone or a very minor glitch that every has erupted into. I was here last night, you know what I'm talking about fanboys.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.):

1 Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) £34.99 1 £34.99

Shipped via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: 29-April-2008).

Woot cant wait.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts
12 hours to go!!! The wait, I can't take it. :cry:
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 3picuri3

Soo...the PS3 runs @ 630p and the Xbox runs at 720p, PS3 has warmer colours but no AA and some framerate drops here and there. Very few pop ins for the PS3 while 360 has a bit more pop ins.

I was just on neogaf, and apparently that "tree of doom" is a glitch by the looks of it, because only dot50cal with his dev kit xbox and loaded the game on his HDD has been able to produce that, others can't seem to do the same. So I, in my opinion, have come to the conclusion that it is his xbox360 alone or a very minor glitch that every has erupted into. I was here last night, you know what I'm talking about fanboys.

Taiko88

link for the 630p on PS3?

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 3picuri3

12 hours to go!!! The wait, I can't take it. :cry:dhjohns

i know eh. i'm kind of wishing i stayed up all night and just slept through the day today.. :(

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 dhjohns

[QUOTE="dhjohns"]12 hours to go!!! The wait, I can't take it. :cry:3picuri3

i know eh. i'm kind of wishing i stayed up all night and just slept through the day today.. :(

Sad thing is, I am at work and have a lot to do, but could care less. Got GTA4 on the brain. :P

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#209 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
I can't wait to see an HD 360 vs PS3 side by side comparisons from GT. No site can agree on anything except pop up. Everything else is up in the air. We shall all see soon enough.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#210 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Fellow SW'ers, join me in a moment of silence for the original version of one of the greatest threads in SW history...

:cry:

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#211 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts
[QUOTE="donwoogie"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

[QUOTE="tonythestudent"]Its a shame people cant just ignore the differences and just enjoy whichever version they are getting. Is this what gaming has come to?Floppy_Jim

I don't know why, but is seems to be particularly bad this gen, with all the ridiculous screenshot comparisons- "The PS3 version has 5 more pixels!!!!" and "The 360 version has 1 better texture!!!!!" etc.....

In the past, its been a one horse race where one console is the clear winner and there is no support for other consoles since the market wasn't large enough. This gen, the market is so large that multiple competitors can co-exist and can be on equal terms, so this creates competition. If anything, this competition will mean game advancements will come more often than in the past. As multi-console owners, we can only benefit from the in-fighting in the market :D

Ah, that's true, competition can only be a good thing in this industry. And us PS360 owners are the only true winners!

We're like America in WW1 before they got involved in the war. Selling weapons and loaning money to both sides and reaping the rewards of their technological advancements but not actually losing out in many ways at all............

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I don't know which to get :(

360 version = DLC + custom music

PS3 version = less pop-in

idunno what to do! :cry:

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
[QUOTE="Taiko88"]

3picuri3

so far it's a rumor, but it could be true..

there is also a rumor that the 360 version has more dithering in colours..

there is an insane topic on Neogaf about these things...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286527

a quote:

Well I've just got back from the midnight launch at my local EB here in Australia.

I've put 4 hours into a friends copy of the 360 version game on the same TV that I'm now playing the PS3 version on.

Just some quick observations

-PS3 image is softer, but doesn't look "low res"
-Shadows and distant objects look less "dotty" than 360 version.
-Framerate seems slightly less consistant than 360 version particularly noticeable with the character animations during cutscenes and the intro.
-PS3 seems to have zero antialiasing. On the 360, the 2xAA was clearly visible on stairsteps (you could see the averaged pixels) on the PS3 I can't see any antialiasing being applied at all. However the softer IQ tends to hide the aliasing.

No pop-in of any note, umm noted :) But then I never noticed any on the 360 version (Wasn't looking)

I would say overall I prefered the PS3 image. The 360 looks quite harsh in comparison and exibits alot of artifacting but on the other hand it's also sharper and more vibrant.

Just my 2 cents.

all just the opinion of one guy.. just play the game on any console... all the reviewers say it looks and plays great nomather what platform.
nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts

Ugh, why do my exams have to start tomorrow? :(

My copy is going to just sit there and taunt me until May 14th most likely :(

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I'm going to get it for the Xbox 360. I have more friends on there and my siblings are on there. Also I like features like custom sound tracks, achievements, rumble, everyone have headsets, and all the statistics Xbox Live offers you right now. I also like the fact the 360 version will have exclusive episodic content.

When I compare the 360 version to the PS3 version, the PS3 version is just missing alot of features. Features like no custom sound track, no rumble (you will need to buy new controllers, DS3, $55+ bucks), no achievements, no standard headsets, and no exclusive DLC. The PS3 offers a GTA IV bundle, but it doesn't include headsets, so expect alot of noobs running around not playing the game like it's suppose to in the mulitplayer in this openworld game.

Everyone says both are identical and these slight minor graphical differences aren't even anything to worry about. It's like GTA IV is a master piece delicious flavor of ice cream, both 360 and PS3 will get a scoop, but only the 360 will have exclusive espisodic content extra scoops with a cherry on top.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 donwoogie

Dreams-Visions

There't no custom soundtrack option. You can stream music from your Xbox 360 music collection, but it plays over the GTA sound.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#217 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Dreams-Visions

2 reasons vs 1.

2 > 1

:P

Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts
[QUOTE="Taiko88"]

3picuri3

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1153806&postcount=513

Here you go. Mind you he also was the one who counted the Halo 3 and COD4 pixels as well.

Oh and to DreamVisions, stop being such a fanboy/troll, stop complaining about a few more pop-ins. Honestly...buy the one you have more friends on.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Taiko88"]

Taiko88

Here you go. Mind you he also was the one who counted the Halo 3 and COD4 pixels as well.

well he was right with both of those :) so if its the same guy i'd say it's reliable. but i'm not one to care too much about missing pixels.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Always-Honest
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

donwoogie

There't no custom soundtrack option. You can stream music from your Xbox 360 music collection, but it plays over the GTA sound.

isn't it a ... shame anyway to do that?.. the soundtrack and radiostations are what ads to the believability of the city... and they are great to i read... great soundtrack...

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 donwoogie
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Taiko88"]

Taiko88

Lol, lets not get into this again!

When an article site posts this information, then I'll take it as factual.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Always-Honest
[QUOTE="Taiko88"][QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Taiko88"]

3picuri3

well he was right with both of those :) so if its the same guy i'd say it's reliable. but i'm not one to care too much about missing pixels.

it might even cause the more smoother look, because 630P upscaled to 720P or 1080i will make it look smoother. (or blurry.:P).

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 donwoogie
[QUOTE="donwoogie"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

Always-Honest

isn't it a ... shame anyway to do that?.. the soundtrack and radiostations are what ads to the believability of the city... and they are great to i read... great soundtrack...

Moreover, if you have music playing, you'd need to turn the ingame radio off and mute the soundtrack everytime you had a mission breifing or phone call.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 3picuri3
[QUOTE="Taiko88"][QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Taiko88"]

donwoogie

Lol, lets not get into this again!

When an article site posts this information, then I'll take it as factual.

he was right about the other ones - i mean it doesn't take a genius to count pixels :) that said he does say he thinks GTA4 proves pixel count doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference.

room420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 room420
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts
[QUOTE="room420"][QUOTE="3picuri3"]

um - thats from back when they though the DLC was 2 extra missions, heh. like my link - this is old and pretty unreliable.

cakeorrdeath

How does the age of the article make it unreliable. The blatant dismissal of the information presented without any facts to back it up is in poor style. The article presents information on the financial transaction between MS and R*, as far as I know there have been no statements from a reliable source released that contradict this, If there are please feel free to post them. I am more than happy to be proved wrong, but without evidence in opposition the article retains its relevance regardless of its age.

I believe the word "significant" has been used dozens of times by MS and rockstar reps since.

On a side note 3picuri3 was the first person to bring up the fact PS3 would be getting some sort of DLC content. Which speaks volumes.

"Significant " is a subjective term, and in no way indicates the size or content of the DLC. Considering there has not been any DLC released for previous console GTA's, "any" DLC can be considered "significant". I should have edited out my speculation on the size of the DLC in my original post. The point of my post was to clarify the financial transaction. MS did not pay 50 mil for two episodes, if this article is correct. The conclusions one would draw from this information falls under speculation, however these details coupled with R*'s history concerning exclusivity make an interesting argument. Once again I ask for evidence to the contrary.

On a side note- How does that speak volumes?

3picuri3,

I agree that Patchers speculation on the content and the specific terms of exclusivity are just that, "speculation". His explanation of the financial transaction, given his position, however I can find no reason not to believe.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 3picuri3

"Significant " is a subjective term, and in no way indicates the size or content of the DLC. Considering there has not been any DLC released for previous console GTA's, "any" DLC can be considered "significant". I should have edited out my speculation on the size of the DLC in my original post. The point of my post was to clarify the financial transaction. MS did not pay 50 mil for two episodes, if this article is correct. The conclusions one would draw from this information falls under speculation, however these details coupled with R*'s history concerning exclusivity make an interesting argument. Once again I ask for evidence to the contrary.

On a side note- How does that speak volumes?

3picuri3,

I agree that Patchers speculation on the content and the specific terms of exclusivity are just that, "speculation". His explanation of the financial transaction, given his position, however I can find no reason not to believe.

room420

his explanation of the financial contract are also speculation - nobody but R* and MS know the particulars of the deal from my understanding.

Egghead360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Egghead360
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts
BTW, we wont be getting the review today will we?
ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts
[QUOTE="Always-Honest"][QUOTE="donwoogie"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

donwoogie

Moreover, if you have music playing, you'd need to turn the ingame radio off and mute the soundtrack everytime you had a mission breifing or phone call.

no you dont have to you can lower the volume of the music and make the game volume higher

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 donwoogie
[QUOTE="donwoogie"][QUOTE="Always-Honest"][QUOTE="donwoogie"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"]

ParadiddleFill

no you dont have to you can lower the volume of the music and make the game volume higher

Meh, I suppose, I just wish they had the custom radio station like other GTA games. Having said that, I never use the function since the in game radio is usually pitch perfect.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts
Questions for the GTA Fans: Would you let your ten year old child play this game? If no, why not?
room420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 room420
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

his explanation of the financial contract are also speculation - nobody but R* and MS know the particulars of the deal from my understanding.

3picuri3

I agree, the particulars, such as exclusivity and price are unknown. I do believe that his explanation was drawn from the publicized financial reports from R* and the conference call mentioned in the article of my OP. Without evidence to the contrary are we really in a position to dismiss this?

Anyway this discussion is ruining my status as a lurker, so thank you for your responses. I now return to the shadows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Questions for the GTA Fans: Would you let your ten year old child play this game? If no, why not?Cute_Red_Panda
Erm. Blood, swearing, sex?
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 dhjohns

Questions for the GTA Fans: Would you let your ten year old child play this game? If no, why not?Cute_Red_Panda

No. Simply put it is too mature. I don't have kids, but I would want mine to be at least 13 to 14 before playing such a game. Even then... it is dicey.

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts

na no way kids are already messed up these days from the crap they show on tv

Xbox360_4_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Xbox360_4_Me
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts
What time is it in the US people? 6 Hours to go here.
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts
Some idiot spoiled me for a major thing in the game. How lovely
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 dhjohns

What time is it in the US people? 6 Hours to go here.Xbox360_4_Me

11 more hours here on the East coast. :cry:

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#238 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Some idiot spoiled me for a major thing in the game. How lovelytherealmcc0y

Was it the ending or something?
Xbox360_4_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Xbox360_4_Me
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

[QUOTE="Xbox360_4_Me"]What time is it in the US people? 6 Hours to go here.dhjohns

11 more hours here on the East coast. :cry:

Harsh. They should have done an alligned launch, not midnight, just everybody in the world getting it at the same time.
VD_Demon-101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 VD_Demon-101
Member since 2005 • 3186 Posts

lol "Grand Theft Four Auto"

Fox news

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 3picuri3

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]Questions for the GTA Fans: Would you let your ten year old child play this game? If no, why not?dhjohns

No. Simply put it is too mature. I don't have kids, but I would want mine to be at least 13 to 14 before playing such a game. Even then... it is dicey.

same. there's a certain age to expose children to this sort of stuff, and under 10 ain't it imo. i remember being pretty scarred by the live action Tarzan when I was a kid, heh.. kinda wish the parents were a bit more on top of that one. i got a half covered eye about 2 seconds after impalement by tusk.. think i was like 6 or 7

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts

[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Some idiot spoiled me for a major thing in the game. How lovelyjames28893

Was it the ending or something?

someone who dies

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"]

room420

I agree, the particulars, such as exclusivity and price are unknown. I do believe that his explanation was drawn from the publicized financial reports from R* and the conference call mentioned in the article of my OP. Without evidence to the contrary are we really in a position to dismiss this?

Anyway this discussion is ruining my status as a lurker, so thank you for your responses. I now return to the shadows.

again - i never dismissed it. i just qualified it as unreliable, as is any analyst speculation imo. i said it's possible, and i stand by that. i just don't think it's reliable and i wouldn't place any wagers on it :) dismissing it would be saying 'oh thats total bs, no chance' :P

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
after seen videos and stuff anyone else thinking about going with multiplayer first? haha i prob wont but it looks so good
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#245 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
after seen videos and stuff anyone else thinking about going with multiplayer first? haha i prob wont but it looks so goodzero9167
i wonder if there are areas you have to unlock in the main game before you can access them in multiplayer. I'm assuming that the multiplayer takes place in the city with no extra borders
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts

[QUOTE="zero9167"]after seen videos and stuff anyone else thinking about going with multiplayer first? haha i prob wont but it looks so goodGunSmith1_basic
i wonder if there are areas you have to unlock in the main game before you can access them in multiplayer. I'm assuming that the multiplayer takes place in the city with no extra borders

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure this time round the whole map is open from the off too, but I could be wrong.

mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
just came from work expecting GS review.....so sad :(
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Never been a big fan of GTA. But its looking more and more likely that I'll be picking this up.
Danger-Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Danger-Dog
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

CVG Reviews up:

PS3: 10

360: 9.5

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/search.php?channel=all&format=&query=gta+iv

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

CVG Reviews up:

PS3: 10

360: 9.5

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/search.php?channel=all&format=&query=gta+iv

Danger-Dog

What is there reasoning behind a 0.5 difference?

Thats is a pretty huge difference for two copies containing the exact same content.