1 step closer to Star Trek livin' -MS-SKYPE-

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

-Skype was/is a major selling point for Xbox One. MS Made it a point to emphasize the service/apps integration on the console. thus this thread should be System Wars worthy-

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/16/microsoft-introduces-skype-translator-preview

Microsoft Introduces Skype Translator Preview

An upcoming program from Microsoft hopes to break down language barriers by offering automated voice translations through its Skype communication service.

Similar to the universal translators used in Star Trek and other science fiction, Skype Translator allows people who speak different languages to communicate by voice in real-time, with the help of speech recognition and intelligent translation technology.

Just say something into the mic and Skype will play back an audio translation of your message to your conversation partner, along with an on-screen transcript, as demonstrated in the video below.

Skype Translator will be available in preview form later this month to select Windows 8.1 users who sign up on the program's website. It is invite-only for now. The program launches with English and Spanish as the only two spoken languages, and over 40 instant messaging languages.

According to Microsoft, the technology behind Skype Translator is designed to learn from its users, so the more people test it out, the more intelligent the program becomes.

The Skype team's goal for the project is to incorporate as many languages as they can. People who register now for the closed preview can select their language preferences and help shape the future of the project with their feedback.

Skype Translator is part of Skype's mission to make global communication more accessible. Last month, Microsoft announced Skype For Web, which will make the messenger service functional in a browser.

Microsoft, breaking boundaries...and adding to lives...oh yea.

while Sony...well, The Order 1886 is coming out soon. and there are QTE on tossing grenades in that game -lol-. so there's that. and uh...well, i'm sure Sony will recover from that massive hack just fine, yea...

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

OMFG!!!! Skype Translator is gonna save the Xboner. I mean how could it not since we all by an Xboner just so we can skype. Fucking ground breaking stuff here people.

Seriously dude you are trying way too hard, your desperation is hilarious.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

This is very cool

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@hitmanactual said:

OMFG!!!! Skype Translator is gonna save the Xboner. I mean how could it not since we all by an Xboner just so we can skype. Fucking ground breaking stuff here people.

Xbox One is the best console ever.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Lol well this is going to be funny, considering there isn't really any good translation programs out there which work that well, considering we all use our own slang, and different words have different meanings, even google translate doesn't work half the time.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tymeservesfate

@hitmanactual said:

what makes you think the Xbox needs saving lol?

besides, what's really tired is how cows and Sony apologists use the same recycled damage control lines everyday, everywhere. that's what's tired here lmao.

@aroxx_ab said:

This is very cool

it is pretty cool stuff. this could help a lot people dealing with language barriers. business meetings, classes dealing with language, or just conversing...like maybe meeting a girlfriend/boyfriend's family and friends who don't speak the same language as you. if this does work it could be a big step forward for everyone's ability to interact, despite language differences.

they're suppose to be speaking more about it during Microsoft's press conference in January. Phil Spencer will be speaking there as well. so hopefully he has news about Xbox One's Skype app getting this feature too, hopefully.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I can see Xbox Ones with Kinect in boardrooms for meetings. I can see a future were everyone has an Xbox One for something.

Meeting over! Time to game!!!!!

Thank you Phil.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tymeservesfate

@bezza2011 said:

Lol well this is going to be funny, considering there isn't really any good translation programs out there which work that well, considering we all use our own slang, and different words have different meanings, even google translate doesn't work half the time.

most, if not all, things don't work perfectly. they just have to work 'well enough' for them to be a good product to people. with MS working on this for about two years now...it will most likely work 'well'.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I can see Xbox Ones with Kinect in boardrooms for meetings. I can see a future were everyone has an Xbox One for something.

Thank you Phil.

These same exact lines said by anyone else would be immediately be followed with sarcastic laughter, but given how much of a fanboy you are...

seriously?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Thank you Phil.

These same exact lines said by anyone else would be immediately be followed with sarcastic laughter, but given how much of a fanboy you are...

seriously?

I am serious. We will all be connected in a future that is bound by Xbox. It will be a way of life for many of us in many different aspects.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Coolness, wish I could have found a great deal on the complete system but sometime in the future I should be able to nab a Kinect for about 99.99 or less.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Read about that earlier looks cool. In practice hopefully there won't be too many misunderstandings lol. Nice to see this kind of innovation.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

And ps4 is just sitting there in a game drought.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

And ps4 is just sitting there in a game drought.

It is?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Cool... Ms is a software company after all... I'd like to see them Pull this off.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

This could start wars if it's anything like auto correct on my phone. :p

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

If it's as good as the Xbox Ones English speech recognition then it will great... if you have an American accent.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Cool tech.

But where are the gamessssssssssss????????????????????? :P